PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntume - Ubuntu muslim edition

migla
March 6th, 2007, 06:48 AM
http://ubuntume.com Cool, since christians have theirs. Any thoughts?

PrinceArithon
March 6th, 2007, 06:50 AM
I think it's awesome to be honest.

adam.tropics
March 6th, 2007, 07:17 AM
I can see how these groups, be they based on Religion, Politics, Sexuality, whatever, may find comfort in creating communities of like minded people, and there may be benefits in that.

It concerns me though, because often it seems to me that such groups will be fairly vocal (not referring to any individuals here) about being ignored or treated unfairly, and then do something like this, which surely must remove them further from the community as a whole. Just a thought.

maniacmusician
March 6th, 2007, 07:19 AM
my personal opinion; just as useless as Christian Edition. Things like this may attract more groups to Linux, but I'm just not a fan of using religion to do it. I guess I'm not a fan of religion at all.

my objective opinion; It's a free world, everyone has choices. If they really want to do this, great; Fun times for everyone :)

aysiu
March 6th, 2007, 07:26 AM
If it serves a community, great!

The whole point of open source is the freedom to modify code to serve a purpose or niche.

Of course, since it is related to organized religion, there are bound to be people who will flame such efforts.

Foudre
March 6th, 2007, 07:29 AM
what other version are made, and my question is why? What would be different?

aysiu
March 6th, 2007, 07:31 AM
From the website:
Why a "Muslim Edition"?
Ubuntu is a great distro, easy to use for a beginner user, with the most-used Office, Internet, Graphics and Video applications already installed. So we think that for Muslim users it could be great to have "out of the box" Islamic softwares and tools installed as well.
Ubuntu Muslim Edition customize the Ubuntu distro by installing islamic softwares (prayer times, Quran study tool, Arabic learning software etc.) and by changing its "look". Ubuntu CE (http://www.christianubuntu.com/), Ubuntu SE (http://parker1.co.uk/satanic/), and Ubuntu ME (http://ubuntume.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1) are no different in principle from Ubuntu Christmas/Ultimate Edition (http://ubuntusoftware.info/xmas.html), Linux Mint (http://linuxmint.com/), or Mepis (http://www.mepis.org/) (based on Ubuntu but with different default packages, artwork, etc.--in order to address a different need/audience). They will always remain controversial, though, just because some people have it out for anything related to religion.

migla
March 6th, 2007, 07:33 AM

CE comes with bible study software, ME with quran study software and prayer timer. (among other things, i guess)

tubasoldier
March 6th, 2007, 07:42 AM
I have nothing against what you are doing or your religion. However, I must say this is a major problem in the Ubuntu community.

The Ubuntuification of Linux has been going on for a few years now and seems to be getting worse. People view Ubuntu as being Linux with specific applications. And it is. However, this image also gives people the impression that in order to get other applications they must install a different version of Ubuntu. This of course started with Kubuntu. Now there is an Xubuntu, UbuntuCE, Linux Mint, Ubuntu SE, Ubuntu ME, and recently added to the list... Ubuntume. However, this image of specific applications with different Ubuntu based distros is really getting out of hand. Look around on the forums and you will see the fragmentation of these seperate distros. New Linux users are coming into this thinking that in order to get "X" application they must install the "X" version of Ubuntu.

Why not just make a simple script or metapackage that would install all these programs on a simple stock ubuntu install? Wouldn't that be much easier than re-inventing the wheel and making a completely new distro?

Although this is not geared towards just you, I'm including all Ubuntu offshoots...

ENOUGH ALREADY!

aysiu
March 6th, 2007, 07:48 AM
That's funny, tubasoldier--your profile says you're a Kubuntu user :)

I sort of agree with you, in that the titling of these offshoots can be confusing for new users who feel, as you say, "that in order to get other applications they must install a different version of Ubuntu."

But the offshooting itself isn't bad, especially since a live CD with everything as you want it is a lot more convenient than a script. I'm thinking particularly of people who have a slow or no internet connection. A modified Desktop CD with some Quran software is handy for a non-connected computer, but a script isn't.

Ever since Ubuntu CE first made waves (and sparked a lot of controversy), I've been very much in favor of these offshoots, but I'm still not in favor of people using the word Ubuntu in the titling of their offshoots. Linux Mint and Mepis are cool in my book for this very reason. They acknowledge being based on Ubuntu but do not confuse new users with too many options to choose from.

maniacmusician
March 6th, 2007, 07:48 AM
From the website: Ubuntu CE (http://www.christianubuntu.com/), Ubuntu SE (http://parker1.co.uk/satanic/), and Ubuntu ME (http://ubuntume.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1) are no different in principle from Ubuntu Christmas/Ultimate Edition (http://ubuntusoftware.info/xmas.html), Linux Mint (http://linuxmint.com/), or Mepis (http://www.mepis.org/) (based on Ubuntu but with different default packages, artwork, etc.--in order to address a different need/audience). They will always remain controversial, though, just because some people have it out for anything related to religion.
Yeah; blind rejection of things like that is never good. I personally am not a huge fan of religion, but, well, that's personal.

I hope that these projects do something that is generally beneficial to everyone, and give back to the main Ubuntu pool. Certainly, better acceptance of religions and ethnicities isn't a bad thing.

I guess there's not really much else to say oO

Iandefor
March 6th, 2007, 08:13 AM
my personal opinion; just as useless as Christian Edition. Things like this may attract more groups to Linux, but I'm just not a fan of using religion to do it. I guess I'm not a fan of religion at all.

my objective opinion; It's a free world, everyone has choices. If they really want to do this, great; Fun times for everyone :)Actually, since Islam doesn't chart holy days and such by the Gregorian calendar, the use of a computer to automate the conversion between the Islamic calendar and the Gregorian calendar would be a perfect application of a desktop computer.

I'd be skeptical of the utility of an entire respin just to include the software that does particular calculations like that (I've looked into it before and there's actually a single package that contains tools to automate a number of calculations of that nature and it's in Universe), but if there's more software to meet other uses a muslim might have, then whatever.

Kabamaru
March 6th, 2007, 08:58 AM
That's funny, tubasoldier--your profile says you're a Kubuntu user :)

I sort of agree with you, in that the titling of these offshoots can be confusing for new users who feel, as you say, "that in order to get other applications they must install a different version of Ubuntu."

But the offshooting itself isn't bad, especially since a live CD with everything as you want it is a lot more convenient than a script. I'm thinking particularly of people who have a slow or no internet connection. A modified Desktop CD with some Quran software is handy for a non-connected computer, but a script isn't.

Ever since Ubuntu CE first made waves (and sparked a lot of controversy), I've been very much in favor of these offshoots, but I'm still not in favor of people using the word Ubuntu in the titling of their offshoots. Linux Mint and Mepis are cool in my book for this very reason. They acknowledge being based on Ubuntu but do not confuse new users with too many options to choose from.

I agree (and now to basically rephrase what you just said ;) ):
- The freedom to fork projects is really what GNU/Linux is all about -- even if only a few individuals end up using such offshoots.
- Ubuntu distributes physical Live CDs for the very same reason that these forks do -- not everyone has access (affordable/reliable) to the net.
- Since Ubuntu really is aimed at anyone who may be interested (with/without experience), it would be nice if the variation between Ubuntu and Ubuntu XX was more than just a letter or two -- although, it's hard to imagine someone aquiring any of these particular forks instead of the "standard" version(s) of Ubuntu on ubutnu.com if they have no inclination to do so.

cowlip
March 6th, 2007, 09:33 AM
I'm personally waiting on gaybuntu :) http://gaybuntu.com/

3rdalbum
March 6th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Linux Mint is a great distribution - it's sort of like a cross between the Ubuntu base and the SLED interface.

kanpachi
March 6th, 2007, 01:10 PM
wow i love their theme and wp!!
anyone knows where i can get those?

TheMono
March 6th, 2007, 01:17 PM
I actually like the idea earlier in the thread of metapackages - that way anyone can convert any version of Ubuntu to any other - ie, you offer Ubuntu, Xubuntu, and Kubuntu for download, as these are quite radically different to each other. You sanction derivatives such as fluxbuntu which change the desktop environment, but for Ubuntu CE and Ubuntume and Linux Mint and the like, you simply offer a metapackage which converts a stock Ubuntu install to the respective whatever.

Much in the same way that you can't download Ubuntu Studio - it is just a bunch of metapackages.

K.Mandla
March 6th, 2007, 06:25 PM
I think it's great. I've been waiting for a Muslim edition for a while.

billdotson
March 6th, 2007, 06:35 PM
there should not be an "X" (X being whatever your religion, political belief, etc.) version of Ubuntu. There should be one version with packages you can download like a daily Bible or Koran scripture ticker or stuff like that. When people make their own versions of OSes tailored specifically for their beliefs that seems to tell the outside world that does not have belief that the people using that certain edition have to be separated from the outside world.

People many times distort the original base of a religion or any other belief be it political, social, etc. to make it what suits them. More wars have been fought in the name of religion than in the name of anything else, and that clearly says that people are misinterpreting what these belief systems encourage. Any sort of religion that advocates violence to achieve a certain status or social goal is wrong IMHO. I say again just have certain programs like the liberalist thought ticker (to be a bit extreme) instead of having a whole edition where the themes and stuff are pre-packaged for a certain belief

Religion isn't necessarily bad.. people are bad and ruin the basis of religions most times.

christhemonkey
March 6th, 2007, 06:56 PM
I must say, i really like that background wallpaper! Very swish.

And its peoples own choices, they want to fork and create a muslim version?

Good for them.
The more people using linux the better it will be for everyone.

Hendrixski
March 6th, 2007, 07:07 PM
I wouldn't call it a fork... It's an edition. Forks are much wider reaching than a customization, they're a split.

Anyway, I like those religion programs on there! the little clock with the countdown to prayer time is pretty impressive as well.

Hendrixski
March 6th, 2007, 07:09 PM
The Ubuntu marketing community needs to get a hold of this. Everybody, show this to your muslim friends!

Let's hope that this helps spread Ubuntu into muslim countries

PartisanEntity
March 6th, 2007, 07:15 PM
This is supersweet! :) finally a package tailored for Muslims, I have been waiting for this.

macogw
March 6th, 2007, 07:15 PM
I actually like the idea earlier in the thread of metapackages - that way anyone can convert any version of Ubuntu to any other - ie, you offer Ubuntu, Xubuntu, and Kubuntu for download, as these are quite radically different to each other. You sanction derivatives such as fluxbuntu which change the desktop environment, but for Ubuntu CE and Ubuntume and Linux Mint and the like, you simply offer a metapackage which converts a stock Ubuntu install to the respective whatever.

Much in the same way that you can't download Ubuntu Studio - it is just a bunch of metapackages.

apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

to get the metapackages to turn ubuntu into one of those two. just make metapackages for the others and throw them in universe

Stylee
March 6th, 2007, 07:17 PM
I am also a muslim, and I think that ubuntu sweets with the islamic philosophy, so I think that there is no need to do an completly separated version of ubuntu for muslims. I prefer to have a package of softwer for religion needs. I have on my ipaq pocket islam, and is very useful.

floke
March 6th, 2007, 07:39 PM
This whole thing is just completely and utterly stupid, and so very sad. Yeah, religion, sexuality, politics etc. - hooray! People who complain that we're all the same and then go and create an edition so they can show off how different they are and how they should be regarded as different (since they're so 'special') and treated differently from everyone else.

Do I exaggerate? Over the past few days in these forums there has been an attempt by one member to have the phrase 'god damn' be banned as a profanity on the grounds that it condemns god to eternal damnation of something ridiculous. Is this the kind of direction that people feel the Ubuntu community should be going? Great, lets get more people involved by pandering to their differences, then tell them about this great 'community' (which it is) which, by the very act of joining as a 'Christian' a 'Muslim' or a 'Gay' Ubuntu user (etc.) they are helping to fragment and turn into a freakshow.

I agree with the previous posts about the right of OSS to fork etc., but also with the view that there should be a single Ubuntu that people can then customise themselves. When we start to emphasise the differences between us rather than what brings us together then we're all in trouble. This is exactly what editions like this do. Why do people feel they have to engage with nonesense like this to affirm their own sense of (or lack of?) identity?

This is (or at least should be) about being part of a single community, not an affiliation of different sects.

Of course the religiously blinded will insist that there are those who react in this way simply because they dislike religion. So let me say this very slowly. This is nothing to do with religion (my views on religion are certainly nothing to do with this thread) - and nor is an attempt to impose a stifling sense of uniformity - by all means let us celebrate diversity and difference, it is what makes us human after all - but, by the same token, let's not try to errect divisions and barriers, especially not on this forum.

This, to my mind, is exactly what things like this are designed to do.

macogw
March 6th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Over the past few days in these forums there has been an attempt by one member to have the phrase 'god damn' be banned as a profanity on the grounds that it condemns god to eternal damnation of something ridiculous.
What? Are they on crack? "God damn!" means you are requesting that God damn whatever is bothering you. "God damn you!" would be "God should send you to Hell" not "You should send God to Hell." The second meaning requires having a completely reversed understanding of direct objects (read: no understanding at all). Does this person also believe that "Timmy bit the dog" when Timmy's arm is bleeding?

aysiu
March 6th, 2007, 07:45 PM
People who complain that we're all the same and then go and create an edition so they can show off how different they are and how they should be regarded as different (since they're so 'special') and treated differently from everyone else. Why are you using Ubuntu, then? If we don't have different needs even as "same" people, we should all be using Debian, shouldn't we? Why have Mepis and Linspire and Ubuntu and Xandros and Damn Small Linux and Knoppix? That's a rather simplistic view of life: we are all either "the same" and have no separate needs or we are completely different and should be discriminated against and have violence committed against us because of our difference. Talk about a false dichotomy. Everyone wants to be treated equally. That does not mean everyone is the same.

So let me say this very slowly. This is nothing to do with religion Let me say this slowly.

The evidence is quite to the contrary.

No such objections come up about Edubuntu or Linux Mint or Ubuntu Ultimate Edition.

It's only when religion comes into play that people begin to get upset about difference and then insist the different edition should just be a metapackage.

Please find me 285 posts arguing about the validity of Edubuntu or Linux Mint's existence.

I can point you right now to 285 posts arguing about the validity of Ubuntu Christian Edition's existence (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=233375).

Of course the religiously blinded will insist that there are those who react in this way simply because they dislike religion. Act as condescending as you want to religious folk. The double standard is clear based on evidence.

I knew right away that when Muslim Edition came out your objections would come in within a few pages. There were no such objections when Linux Mint came out. (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=299756) A few people saw no point in it, but there weren't any objections that had to do with sameness/difference of people or contentions that Linux Mint was dividing the community. It was mainly FOSS-purist deanlinkous saying "I don't see the point in this." (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1762936#post1762936) And that wasn't followed up with a lot of embellishment or outrage.

raffytaffy
March 6th, 2007, 07:50 PM
im sorry to say...but if such censorship emerges here ..i for one will have to turn my back on this great community. ijust cant accept such actions. i really hope nothing like this happens :(

PartisanEntity
March 6th, 2007, 07:55 PM
I don't understand what the fuss is about. It's still Ubuntu, it's just a pre-packaged version. Instead of me having to search the web looking for Islamic oriented software someone did that for me already and added it to Ubuntu. I can then conveniently download this package and save myself time and effort.

As aysiu mentioned, why don't those annoyed also get annoyed about Kubuntu and Edubuntu?

In fact why are you using Ubuntu? Judging by such logic Ubuntu should be scrapped and we should all use Debian.

People who get annoyed by this need a hobby urgently :)

christhemonkey
March 6th, 2007, 07:56 PM
What censorship are you refering to?

And even if there is censorship, this a privately run forum:

The web-master, administrators and moderators of this forum will preserve forum content when possible. However editing, locking and deleting content may be necessary and if so will be done at the discretion of the web-master, administrators and moderators when the forum code of conduct has been violated.

It should also be noted that this is a privately owned and operated site by Ubuntu-Geek and that posting here is a privilege rather than a constitutional 'right' to free speech and freedom of expression. We require that the forum code of conduct be followed at all times.

raffytaffy
March 6th, 2007, 07:58 PM
This whole thing is just completely and utterly stupid, and so very sad. Yeah, religion, sexuality, politics etc. - hooray! People who complain that we're all the same and then go and create an edition so they can show off how different they are and how they should be regarded as different (since they're so 'special') and treated differently from everyone else.

Do I exaggerate? Over the past few days in these forums there has been an attempt by one member to have the phrase 'god damn' be banned as a profanity on the grounds that it condemns god to eternal damnation of something ridiculous. Is this the kind of direction that people feel the Ubuntu community should be going? Great, lets get more people involved by pandering to their differences, then tell them about this great 'community' (which it is) which, by the very act of joining as a 'Christian' a 'Muslim' or a 'Gay' Ubuntu user (etc.) they are helping to fragment and turn into a freakshow.

I agree with the previous posts about the right of OSS to fork etc., but also with the view that there should be a single Ubuntu that people can then customise themselves. When we start to emphasise the differences between us rather than what brings us together then we're all in trouble. This is exactly what editions like this do. Why do people feel they have to engage with nonesense like this to affirm their own sense of (or lack of?) identity?

This is (or at least should be) about being part of a single community, not an affiliation of different sects.

Of course the religiously blinded will insist that there are those who react in this way simply because they dislike religion. So let me say this very slowly. This is nothing to do with religion (my views on religion are certainly nothing to do with this thread) - and nor is an attempt to impose a stifling sense of uniformity - by all means let us celebrate diversity and difference, it is what makes us human after all - but, by the same token, let's not try to errect divisions and barriers, especially not on this forum.

This, to my mind, is exactly what things like this are designed to do.

refering to the person trying to get the word "god damn " banned

christhemonkey
March 6th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Ah ok. Thought you were referring to this thread, my apologies.

maed
March 6th, 2007, 08:00 PM
I think it serves a certain purpose - targeting something (be it software or vegetables) proved to be successful as we may see it from various ads (; identification with the product is crucial - and if through creating various offshoots of ubuntu (such as ce, me or other) it helps promoting open-source software, it's great.

raffytaffy
March 6th, 2007, 08:01 PM
its cool. i have nothing against dif types ( flavors) at all...but i value freedom of speech greatly.

Brunellus
March 6th, 2007, 08:05 PM
its cool. i have nothing against dif types ( flavors) at all...but i value freedom of speech greatly.
I don't see how these are mutually-exclusive goals.

I'm not particularly worried that there should be ubuntu-derived or ubuntu-based splinter distributions. Essentially, they're ubuntu installs, ready-made, for certain purposes and users. For their contemplated userbase, they save time, effort, and trouble.

it's Free Software, after all. These derviative distributions simply re-distribute Free Software under terms consistent with its licensing. The main distribution continues to be developed and governed as it always has been.

zubrug
March 6th, 2007, 08:09 PM
I do object to the religious derivatives of Ubuntu, however, the door was opened so now there will be a surge in the religious versions (and others Satanic) untill there is some balance.
So considering that we have CE , I welcome Ubuntume to the comunity.

aysiu
March 6th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Ubuntu's Philosophy page states:

Ubuntu is a community driven project to create an operating system and a full set of applications using free and open source software. At the core of the Ubuntu Philosophy of Software Freedom are these core philosophical ideals:

Every computer user should have the freedom to run, copy, distribute, study, share, change and improve their software for any purpose, without paying licensing fees.

Every computer user should be able to use their software in the language of their choice.

Every computer user should be given every opportunity to use software, even if they work under a disability.
It doesn't say
Every computer user should have the freedom to run, copy, distribute, study, share, change and improve their software for only purposes not pertaining to religion or purposes that accentuate individuality or difference, without paying licensing fees.

aysiu
March 6th, 2007, 08:12 PM
I do object to the religious derivatives of Ubuntu, however, the door was opened so now there will be a surge in the religious versions (and others Satanic) untill there is some balance.
So considering that we have CE , I welcome Ubuntume to the comunity.
Well, funnily enough, when Ubuntu Christian Edition first came out, a lot of the objections were along the lines of "Why a Christian Edition? If there's a Christian Edition, shouldn't there be a Muslim Edition, a Jewish Edition, and a Buddhist Edition, too?" Ubuntu CE's creator responded in a way I agree with, which was something like, "Yes, if people want to make those editions, they should."

And, now, someone is making a Muslim Edition. Good.

If it serves a purpose, and someone is willing to put in the effort to make it, great.

floke
March 6th, 2007, 08:31 PM
The logic of some of the above threads defies logic:

To state that something is good just because it spreads open source software is plain nonsense. Lets have a white-supremacist-buntu, since this would spread OSS to right wing xenophobes on this basis then (sadly though I imaging that somewhere someone already has a 'Nazibuntu' all figured out).

To say that this is about religion since people didn't object to Edubunut or Kubuntu also misses the point. KDE users don't try to enforce their view of the world onto other people - i.e. thou shalt not say 'god damn KDE', no shalt thou worship thy gnome for it be a false idol. No. Kubuntu and Edubuntu are not designed to highlight social, ethnic, economic, political, or religious difference in the way that CE et al are. The latter are not simply designed as a means of providing easy access to arabic software of whatever - they are expressly about proclaiming ones difference.

And my point about us being 'the same' was not (as I also stated) about a uniform homogeneity. The point was, rather, that all religions claim (do they not?) that human beings are all the same in terms of all being equal - that was my point (if I didn't make this well enough then it's my fault) - that to say that everybody is equal (in the sense that we're all the same underneath) and then to set about elaborating what divides us in the most insidious fashion seems a contrary state of affairs.

Brunellus
March 6th, 2007, 08:41 PM
I still fail to see why the degree of one's atheism (or otherwise) should be a limit or barrier to one's legal right to redistribute free software in a manner consistent with the license governing the same software. Provided the distribution violates no other laws, why are we even shouting about it?

PriceChild
March 6th, 2007, 08:42 PM
The Ubuntume project exists. - We are not going to debate this. We are not going to debate whether it should exist. It has been done to death on projects such as Ubuntu CE and the simple truth is:

People are permitted to alter Ubuntu and make their own variants etc. If its a success then well good for them. If it isn't, better luck next time.
However - If you do not like a project, then please steer clear of it. We don't want to hear people saying certain projects shouldn't exist, because there is obviously a call for it from some niche in the community.
Back on topic please.

aysiu
March 6th, 2007, 08:44 PM
KDE users don't try to enforce their view of the world onto other people And where are Ubuntu Muslim Edition users enforcing their view onto other people? Aren't you being quite forceful about your own view right now? Others' logic defies logic. Only your logic makes sense, of course. Not forceful, though.

To state that something is good just because it spreads open source software is plain nonsense. Lets have a white-supremacist-buntu, since this would spread OSS to right wing xenophobes on this basis then (sadly though I imaging that somewhere someone already has a 'Nazibuntu' all figured out). Islam and Christianity are peaceful religions that some people have distorted to violent ends. Nazis and white supremacist philosophies have at their very core belief system hatred and violence against others.

And my point about us being 'the same' was not (as I also stated) about a uniform homogeneity. The point was, rather, that all religions claim (do they not?) that human beings are all the same in terms of all being equal - that was my point (if I didn't make this well enough then it's my fault) - that to say that everybody is equal (in the sense that we're all the same underneath) and then to set about elaborating what divides us in the most insidious fashion seems a contrary state of affairs. The only one in this thread elaborating what divides us is you.

Edit: As PriceChild points out, there's no point in arguing about this. Muslim Edition exists. You can't stop it. If you're offended by it, so be it. If you think you're superior to religious people, so be it. If you think religion divides Ubuntu users (but you have nothing to do with that division), so be it.

floke
March 6th, 2007, 08:48 PM
I agree absolutely that people have an undeniable right to be doing this. And I fully support freedom of speech and the freedom and right to reditribute free software in this way. I completely support the right of religious variants to exist, I just find it a bit sad that some people feel they have to do this.

And as for the back on topic. What is the topic? The thread is simply entitled 'Ubuntu Muslim Edition', and the opening thread simply asked if people had 'any thoughts'?

For what people may or may not feel they are worth, I am merely stating mine.

** EDIT ** I'm also not trying to force my views onto anyone at all. As I say, people have a right to do this, and I will utterly support that right. I'm also not superior to religious people in any way; and its a bit presumptious of you to assume that I'm not religious just because I don't want to wear a badge about it. Its a bit strange to state that I'm the only one highlighting difference here - I am in this thread, at the moment, but as you highlight, there are at least 185 other posts on the matter. And I'm also not looking to fall out with anyone about this. I express my views forcefully, and so do others. That's what debates are about aren't they?

PartisanEntity
March 6th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Steve.K: I do not know what negative experiences you have personally had with people who believe in religion, it is evident that you are quite vocal and opinionated on this matter.

But I do not see any UbuntuCE or UbuntuME users running around holding up the banners of 'holier than thou'. I don't see of these users forcing a belief system on you, or us. These pre-packaged editions of Ubuntu were not made in order to be elitist, they were made because there is a general interest to see certain software included based on a common idea or belief amongst a group of Ubuntu users, key words here are 'Ubuntu user'. Whether you use UbuntuCE, UbuntuME, or Ubuntu, we are all Ubuntu users, period IMO.

You can buy a BMW with sports package or one with a family package, or just go for the default package, its still a BMW.

I personally feel that your comments, while you have the right to hold them, are greatly exaggerated and unfair.

We really should and can invest all this argumentative effort for more important things in life; war, famine, injustice, poverty etc..

floke
March 6th, 2007, 09:11 PM
I think the best thing to do here is to agree to disagree on the value of religious derivatives (if that's the right way of putting it?), and to agree on the last point made above. That seems to conclude the debate on a positive and consensual note.

Ubuntu-users: united in our diversity :)

ComplexNumber
March 6th, 2007, 09:16 PM
I think the best thing to do here is to agree to disagree on the value of religious derivatives (if that's the right way of putting it?), and to agree on the last point made above. That seems to conclude the debate on a positive and consensual note.

Ubuntu-users: united in our diversity :)
and on that conclusion, i think its time for a temporary lock :).

mephisto786
March 18th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Ubuntu is really moving fast, theres a Muslim Edition for Ubuntu in addition to the Christian edition, for those who like religously themed, and / or special apps dealing with religion....like scripture readers or prayer time clocks......

Thought I'd drop a note, since its under addtl unofficial projects on the home page but till now isnt listed under third party discussions here. THeir link is :

http://ubuntume.com/forums/index.php?sid=2bf6016728932249c1cf4e2cf9b257d6

Pretty small at the moment, but I expect that will change....

peace

RAV TUX
March 18th, 2007, 10:36 PM
merging thread to the extremely long Muslim Edition thread and unlocking that thread

RAV TUX
March 18th, 2007, 10:38 PM
merging thread to the extremely long Muslim Edition thread and unlocking that thread

I have unlocked this thread due to the merger and the thread was temporarily locked a week ago...the lock has been lifted.

RAV TUX
March 18th, 2007, 10:40 PM
moving to "The Other OS" forum in the Debian (and derivatives) sub-forum...

my suggestion to the Muslim Edition Devs is request an official third party forum along side the Christian addition.

I wish you the best on your project, and if you remember the history of the CE edition Dev he put in a request to the distrowatch Dev to get his Edition listed sooner, you may want to do this also.

IYY
March 18th, 2007, 11:44 PM
Personally, I find all of these derivative projects to be a bit silly. Isn't it better to just create an Ubuntu repository of religious software? Are there really that many people who define themselves by their religion (you'd have to be one to use an operating system like Ubuntu CE or this Mubuntu).

mephisto786
March 19th, 2007, 02:03 AM
Brings up a couple of interesting points about 'forks'.......on one hand, if they want to use the name, and adhere to the basic principles behind the distro, why not. But then the 'security edition nBuntu was just a waste of several hours when one assumed the quality would be on par with the rest, despite its being unofficial. Maybe some have had better luck, i have an Nbuntu coaster..... :-P

FYI Mepis tho, was not an ubuntu derivative, they just switched to ubuntu kernel and repos, recently. They were a debian derivative and had a few problems with the GPL.....as shown by googling the two words. Thats resolved but they certainly werent founded on any ubuntu prinicples

My guess is keeping the unofficial unofficial, is a harmless alternative, and Im kinda looking forward to the artwork and fortune-koan program of say, a ZenBuntu....

cheers

mhancoc7
March 19th, 2007, 02:40 AM
Well, funnily enough, when Ubuntu Christian Edition first came out, a lot of the objections were along the lines of "Why a Christian Edition? If there's a Christian Edition, shouldn't there be a Muslim Edition, a Jewish Edition, and a Buddhist Edition, too?" Ubuntu CE's creator responded in a way I agree with, which was something like, "Yes, if people want to make those editions, they should."

And, now, someone is making a Muslim Edition. Good.

If it serves a purpose, and someone is willing to put in the effort to make it, great.

Yes, I think it is great that people are building distros using Ubuntu to meet the needs of their "niche" group. To me it is not just about spreading Linux, it is also about providing low cost alternatives to overpriced M$ software for specific groups. I am not sure why we tend to point out our differences instead of looking at how we are similiar. I know that some believe that Ubuntu CE is trying to segregate itself. This is not the case at all. These "forks" or customized versions of Ubuntu are just a great way to provide for a specific group of people with specific desires and needs.

I have always said that the userbase will determine the success or failure of a distro. If Ubuntu CE was not "needed" then it would not be as popular as it has become. If Ubuntu ME is not "needed" then it will fade away. I wish the Ubuntu ME team the best and hope that they prosper in their efforts.

Jereme Hancock
Ubuntu CE Lead Developer

tommcd
March 19th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Personally, I find all of these derivative projects to be a bit silly. Isn't it better to just create an Ubuntu repository of religious software? Are there really that many people who define themselves by their religion (you'd have to be one to use an operating system like Ubuntu CE or this Mubuntu).

Good point. Is anyone working on an ubuntu atheist edition, or would that be too politically incorrect?
I don't think segregating ourselves based on religion does anything to serve the "humanity toward others" philosophy.

floke
March 19th, 2007, 08:55 AM
...Im kinda looking forward to the artwork and fortune-koan program of say, a ZenBuntu....

Buddhabuntu - it's already here...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=387237

floke
March 19th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Good point. Is anyone working on an ubuntu atheist edition, or would that be too politically incorrect?
I don't think segregating ourselves based on religion does anything to serve the "humanity toward others" philosophy.

The way I see it, since there are now religious variants, then this makes the official ubuntu the 'non-god' - i.e athiest - version by default.

PartisanEntity
March 19th, 2007, 09:34 AM
I wish you the best on your project, and if you remember the history of the CE edition Dev he put in a request to the distrowatch Dev to get his Edition listed sooner, you may want to do this also.

I have already mentioned this to the dev's of UbuntuME, they will do so once they are ready. It is too early at the moment. We're still going through design selection, software packaging etc.. Given some of the usual negative vibes I think they are a little reluctant also.

mhancoc7
March 19th, 2007, 11:07 AM

Why would that be politically incorrect? I do not agree with the beliefs or non-beliefs of atheists, however if there is a need or desire for an Ubuntu customized specifically for that group then go for it.

I just can't figure out why anyone would care if a group used the power of Open-Source software to empower its members. I could understand a little more if Ubuntu CE was Ubuntu Evangelical Edition. I mean creating something to target non-Christians is a bit more problematic, but to create a distro geared toward a group just makes good sense.

Jereme

yigal.weinstein
March 19th, 2007, 11:30 AM
I think it comes down to quality. If a special interest movement wants to use Ubuntu as a part of their name and be officially supported by Ubuntu there should be strict quality control. The Satanic edition, i.e. the atheist edition, CE, now maybe ME its all good as long as the quality and the spirit behind the work is up to par and full of love respectively.

floke
March 19th, 2007, 12:20 PM
First off: I have no intention here of starting a religious variant flame war, but am genuinely interested in the debate surrounding this issue. Chucking insults etc. at each other gets nobody anywhere so let's keep things civil and polite as we go. This thread has already been temporarily locked and we don't want that to happen again.

The issue does, however, raise an interesting dilemma about potential community divisions. Let's start by assuming (you have to broadly go with these assumptions for the sake of argument) that the religious variants (RV's) of Ubuntu are (or will be) used by around 5% of the community. Given that there are around 250,000 members of these forums (and I'm using this as a rough guide), this means that the RV's will be used by around 12,500 people. These people doubtless believe, and I have no reason to disbelieve them, that they are not trying to be divisive and that they are not trying to segregate themselves from the rest of the community. They also have a complete right to do what they are doing. Lets also assume that most people - lets say 60%(?) are fairly neutral on the issue and have no strong feelings about it either way. This means that (again, going by these assumptions) around 35% of people in the community will feel that setting up RV's is divisive and undermines the integrity of the community.

The point is this. Whether or not those 35% are right to think this; whether or not the 5% who use RV's believe they are acting, or intend to act, divisively; the fact that the 35% do[I] feel that it's divisive [I]itself makes it divisive.

So, the dilemma then (assuming the above assumptions are a broad approximation of reality, which, of course, they could not be), is this: Should those people who want to set up RV's do so - even if they have a complete right to do so - given that in doing so they will be fostering discord within the community, and even if this is not their intention? If the benefits gained by the 5% are less than the discord generated among the 35%, then should the 5% continue?

If this was a fundamental issue of, say, religious, political, or sexual freedom, then I would say that of course the 5% should continue. But if it isn't (and in this case no-one wants to take anyone's rights away from them; no-one is trying to stop anyone from practicing their religion etc.), then the situation is less clear. I think I would personally feel uncomfortable if I thought that my actions were causing discord among a substantial section of the community.

Of course if the community could speak with one voice, say, if there was a poll on the issue (I have no intention of starting one btw) and if a large majority came down on one side or the other - not in terms of the right to have RV's, but in terms of whether they are divisive or not - then the whole debate could be put to bed once and for all.

For me personally, I believe that people who want to set up and use RV's have an inalienable right to do so, and I would defend the right to the last. I do feel, however, that if a substantial portion of the community are against it, then those who use RV's should consider whether their actions are worth the discord.

I am genuinely interested in this debate, so please no flaming.

Stone123
March 19th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Will you change look of usplash and gnome to green /gold?
If so where can i download the artwork?

All support to Ubuntu ME . :KS

tribaal
March 19th, 2007, 12:37 PM
I'm not a muslim, but I must say your color scheme and artwork in general is just gorgeous.
Nice to see linux fit another "niche" market :)
Maybe religion finally has one good side if it helps fixing bug n°1.

Keep up the good work :)

- trib'

mhancoc7
March 19th, 2007, 12:57 PM
First off: I have no intention here of starting a religious variant flame war, but am genuinely interested in the debate surrounding this issue. Chucking insults etc. at each other gets nobody anywhere so let's keep things civil and polite as we go. This thread has already been temporarily locked and we don't want that to happen again.

The issue does, however, raise an interesting dilemma about potential community divisions. Let's start by assuming (you have to broadly go with these assumptions for the sake of argument) that the religious variants (RV's) of Ubuntu are (or will be) used by around 5% of the community. Given that there are around 250,000 members of these forums (and I'm using this as a rough guide), this means that the RV's will be used by around 12,500 people. These people doubtless believe, and I have no reason to disbelieve them, that they are not trying to be divisive and that they are not trying to segregate themselves from the rest of the community. They also have a complete right to do what they are doing. Lets also assume that most people - lets say 60%(?) are fairly neutral on the issue and have no strong feelings about it either way. This means that (again, going by these assumptions) around 35% of people in the community will feel that setting up RV's is divisive and undermines the integrity of the community.

The point is this. Whether or not those 35% are right to think this; whether or not the 5% who use RV's believe they are acting, or intend to act, divisively; the fact that the 35% do[i] feel that it's divisive [I]itself makes it divisive.

So, the dilemma then (assuming the above assumptions are a broad approximation of reality, which, of course, they could not be), is this: Should those people who want to set up RV's do so - even if they have a complete right to do so - given that in doing so they will be fostering discord within the community, and even if this is not their intention? If the benefits gained by the 5% are less than the discord generated among the 35%, then should the 5% continue?

If this was a fundamental issue of, say, religious, political, or sexual freedom, then I would say that of course the 5% should continue. But if it isn't (and in this case no-one wants to take anyone's rights away from them; no-one is trying to stop anyone from practicing their religion etc.), then the situation is less clear. I think I would personally feel uncomfortable if I thought that my actions were causing discord among a substantial section of the community.

Of course if the community could speak with one voice, say, if there was a poll on the issue (I have no intention of starting one btw) and if a large majority came down on one side or the other - not in terms of the right to have RV's, but in terms of whether they are divisive or not - then the whole debate could be put to bed once and for all.

For me personally, I believe that people who want to set up and use RV's have an inalienable right to do so, and I would defend the right to the last. I do feel, however, that if a substantial portion of the community are against it, then those who use RV's should consider whether their actions are worth the discord.

I am genuinely interested in this debate, so please no flaming.

I also think it brings up some interesting issues/debates. I am not deluded into thinking that my opinion is the only valid one. I believe that we all have a say and we all have a voice. To me one of the biggest factors is if the RV is attempting to push its beliefs onto others in the Ubuntu community or if it is simply trying to provide for a specific segment of the Ubuntu community as well as draw a larger audience to Ubuntu from a specific community.

Also the idea that the RVs are being divisive is interesting to me since Linux is a very diverse community with tons of distros based on previous ones. To me this is one of the things that make Linux so great. I am a HUGE Ubuntu fan. It makes me even a bigger fan with the fact that I can customize it and distribute it to my particular audience. I firmly believe that most of the Ubuntu users that have such an issue with the RVs would not have as much a problem with it if it did not have anything to do with religion. It is unfortunate that so many people jump to conclusions whenever the words religion, Christian, or Jesus get mentioned. I know that this is due in part to some Christians who, with the best intentions, push their beliefs on to those who are not interested. I know this because I was not always Christian. I got tired of being asked about my salvation and such. That is why I am not here to convince anyone about my Faith. I simply want to be considered an equal part of the community. I want to be able to bring new users to Ubuntu through my Ubuntu CE project. It is really that simple.

Looking forward to a civil discussion.

Jereme

neoflight
March 19th, 2007, 02:23 PM
i can see a hindu edition in the making ...

IMO...such a waste of time and effort...!

the argument that you can do something as long as it does not violate the law is utter nonsense.

esaym
March 19th, 2007, 03:53 PM
I agree with everything aysiu has to say.

No body has a problem with kubuntu, or xubuntu but you throw religion into the mix and the world stops.

I think alot of you need to get away from the computer for once and go to church.

Living your life by the Bible (or Quran) will certainly do you NO harm.

Yes I said it!:mrgreen:

My church has 1500 members in it. I will someday introduce the A/V team with ubuntu and hopefully we will be able to kick MS and MS Powerpoint out the door. And then hopefully we will be able to stop "donating" 100's of dollars a year to the local "windows advocate computer repair shop". And on the plus side we will be exposing 1500 people to ubuntu. Tell me what is wrong with that?

msak007
March 19th, 2007, 04:39 PM
As a Muslim, I think this is wonderful news and I wish the devs and this project the best of luck. When I first heard about this project, I knew there would be some backlash by a few outspoken and vocal members of the community who don't think a project like this should exist for various reasons. Maybe not because it's a "religious" version, but moreso because it is an Islamic version. I was not offended when a Christian Edition came out, I simply don't use it. It had its own subforum to discuss it, and nobody tried to force or coerce me to use it. Nobody pushed their religious view on me. The fact that it's there doesn't bother me, and I don't see why it should bother anybody else. Obviously it fills a need, and I'm glad that people find benefit in it. It was only a matter of time before other religion-customized versions came out. And as aysiu said, all religions are based on peace and have been distorted by a minority - you cannot compare a sect or cultural belief system like Nazism or white supremacism to a religion as at the core they are inherently different.

But we all digress from the main issue, and we should focus on the benefits. There is a vast pool of users all over the world that have never heard of or used Linux, and a project like this will pique their interest and get them to try it and hopefully stick with it. The benefit of having a specialized version is that the apps targeted toward Muslims (or any other religion for that matter) can be preinstalled on the CD and they can be used right off the bat. Couple this with the customized usplash, GDM login, background, themes, etc., and you get the full experience, something you can't get otherwise without installing the OS first and then installing everything else manually. Personally, through the project I've learned about several apps that I never knew existed despite searching for them. And an FYI for those who say that this should only exist as a metapackage, this was brought up in the UbuntuME forums. Their main focus is to make a distributable ISO first, then they will work on a 3rd party repository and a metapackage. This is a great idea, but I don't agree that all the offshoots should only exists as metapackages (see my reasoning above).

I'm happy that this project was started and hope to see it grow. I don't agree that new versions only divide us, as we are all Ubuntu users regardless of the offshoot being used. The only unfortunate thing about it is that the moniker resembles an OS that all of us would like erased from history (WindowsME, in case you didn't get it :))

floke
March 19th, 2007, 04:41 PM
There's absolutely nothing wrong with that at all. But you don't need an RV to do it.

I would have to accept (and I would have to admit that I've changed my mind on this recently) that the main drivers behind the RV's are not seeking to segregate themselves from the rest of the community. Some might be, parhaps. but I don't believe the majority are. I've come across religious zealotry on these forums, but I've also come across anti-religious zealotry too. Neither of these has anything to do with the RV question.

For me, I suppose the question is a philosophical one, really: if a small minority of community members pursue a course of action that a substantial portion of the community believes to be divisive (assuming this to be the case, and I have no evidence to this effect, just a gut feeling that it would be a 'substantial' number) - even if they have a right to do it (and even if we would all support that right) - then at what point, at what level of discord, would the minority cease their actions? Or would they carry on regardless of what a large part of the community felt?

The argument in relation to Kubuntu and Edubuntu - that people only object when religion is brought into it, is, I think, a bit misleading. For me, at least, its not (merely) the fact that religion is being brought into it; my unease with it concerns any attempt to bring religious, social, political or economic factors into it. I would just as much worry about 'Commiebuntu', 'Thatcherbuntu', 'millionairebuntu', 'Euro-buntu', 'USAbuntu', or any other 'buntufication' based on these factors. I am also uneasy about gaybuntu for this very reason. So its not (just) about religion.

I could, of course, be completely wrong on this. 95% of the Ubuntu community may think its a great idea. I would be very intrigued to know.

aysiu
March 19th, 2007, 04:59 PM
if a small minority of community members pursue a course of action that a substantial portion of the community believes to be divisive (assuming this to be the case, and I have no evidence to this effect, just a gut feeling that it would be a 'substantial' number) - even if they have a right to do it (and even if we would all support that right) - then at what point, at what level of discord, would the minority cease their actions? Or would they carry on regardless of what a large part of the community felt? Couldn't you consider the objections to RVs to also be "divisive"? In that case, by your logic, those objecting should "cease their actions."

There will always be what you call "divisiveness" in the Ubuntu, Linux, and open source communities. Those communities thrive on "divisiveness," controversy, and argument. When the Kubuntu Forums started up, there was a huge uproar in our forums over their supposed "divisiveness." I'll be the first to admit I was outraged when I heard about the Kubuntu Forums. Then, I (and others) saw over time that there was no "segregation" or "splintering" of the community. Life just went on as usual. The Ubuntu Forums continued to grow, and the Kubuntu Forums grew.

I don't know all the history behind Ubuntu, but I'd imagine a lot of people thought the very creation of Ubuntu was divisive. Aren't they "segregating" themselves from the Debian community? I think some people are still angry about it now. So maybe Mark Shuttleworth should just cease his actions?

This is ridiculous. So any time you upset a small part of the community, you should just stop what you're doing? What makes your part of the community's upset state more valid than the other part of the community's upset state? What makes you any less divisive than the RVs you think are causing the divisiveness?

I have to say I object to the use of the word segregate in regards to this discussion. I know you didn't use it, but others did, and I'd like to address that. A segregation is a forcing apart of groups so that they cannot coexist. It's usually done by an outside force (a government or authority figure). Mark Shuttleworth isn't saying the RV users and regular Ubuntu users can't coexist. Ubuntu-Geek isn't saying that. This isn't even separation--a forcing apart by one part of the group deciding to leave. The Ubuntu CE and Ubuntu ME users are not saying, "Bye, we're starting our own group. We don't want to associate with you any more." They're just saying, "Hey, Ubuntu is great. I'd love to modify it to address certain people's needs." And you're coming back with "Your needs aren't valid! Don't remaster the ISO. If you need those packages, just install them with apt-get or make a metapackage." Why? What's so horrible about using Reconstructor? Why is that a bad thing?

The one thing I will concede (and I've said this before, but I'll reiterate): using the name Ubuntu as part of the RVs (or any unofficial modified version of Ubuntu) is not something I approve of. Of course, since at least CE asked for permission from Ubuntu to use the name and was granted that permission, there's not much else to say about that. It's not so much that I find it offensive or divisive as I find it misleading and confusing.

Well, I don't think Steve.K or I are going to budge on this issue, but I just wanted to rant a little more...

floke
March 19th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Couldn't you consider the objections to RVs to also be "divisive"? In that case, by your logic, those objecting should "cease their actions."

Absolutely. But I think it would be one thing for, say 35% of the community (again, I am only assuming this as a rough figure and it could be utterly, wildly wrong) to desist compared to 5%. That's kind of my point. Crudely put, its a numbers game. If the figures were reversed - say only 5% of the community objected (if that's the right word) then I would say they should cease their actions. That's why I would be keen to find out the percentages - it would settle the argument :)

There will always be what you call "divisiveness" in the Ubuntu, Linux, and open source communities. Those communities thrive on "divisiveness," controversy, and argument. When the Kubuntu Forums started up, there was a huge uproar in our forums over their supposed "divisiveness." I'll be the first to admit I was outraged when I heard about the Kubuntu Forums. Then, I (and others) saw over time that there was no "segregation" or "splintering" of the community. Life just went on as usual. The Ubuntu Forums continued to grow, and the Kubuntu Forums grew.

I don't know all the history behind Ubuntu, but I'd imagine a lot of people thought the very creation of Ubuntu was divisive. Aren't they "segregating" themselves from the Debian community? I think some people are still angry about it now. So maybe Mark Shuttleworth should just cease his actions?

Very good points, I must concede. I think religious, social, political and economic issues are of a different order though, but I admit the Ubuntu point complicates things.

So any time you upset a small part of the community, you should just stop what you're doing? What makes your part of the community's upset state more valid than the other part of the community's upset state? What makes you any less divisive than the RVs you think are causing the divisiveness?

See 'numbers game' point above.

I have to say I object to the use of the word segregate in regards to this discussion. I know you didn't use it, but others did, and I'd like to address that. A segregation is a forcing apart of groups so that they cannot coexist. It's usually done by an outside force (a government or authority figure). Mark Shuttleworth isn't saying the RV users and regular Ubuntu users can't coexist. Ubuntu-Geek isn't saying that. This isn't even separation--a forcing apart by one part of the group deciding to leave. The Ubuntu CE and Ubuntu ME users are not saying, "Bye, we're starting our own group. We don't want to associate with you any more." They're just saying, "Hey, Ubuntu is great. I'd love to modify it to address certain people's needs."

Agreed. We should stop speaking of 'segregation'.

And you're coming back with "Your needs aren't valid! Don't remaster the ISO. If you need those packages, just install them with apt-get or make a metapackage." Why? What's so horrible about using Reconstructor? Why is that a bad thing?

I'm not saying they can't do it, that they have no right to do it etc. But just that I feel that the 'damage' caused (if that's the right way to put it) - i.e. discontent and unease in the community - outweighs the benefits that a small minority gain through this. My real point, I suppose, is that it all depends on the numbers. If there is a greater net benefit then I can't see a problem. I suspect, though, that the numbers go the other way. If not, I happily concede.

Well, I don't think Steve.K or I are going to budge on this issue, but I just wanted to rant a little more...

I'll move if the evidence is there. I'm keen to think the issues through rationally. And there's nothing wrong with ranting. At least this is more constructive than two sides shouting at each other :)

PartisanEntity
March 19th, 2007, 05:55 PM
I would like to reiterate, that UbuntuCE and UbuntuME are nothing more than Ubuntu with a specific package of software and perhaps some layout and graphics that cater to the interests of certain Ubuntu users.

So far I have not seen any convincing arguments against the pre-packaging of Ubuntu for certain Ubuntu users. This is all it really is.

Instead of me having to surf the web looking for software, it comes already installed in a specific Ubuntu version.

Whether it is UbuntuCE, or UbuntuME, or even any other UbuntuX they are all still Ubuntu and don't claim to be anything else.

PartisanEntity
March 19th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Of course, since at least CE asked for permission from Ubuntu to use the name and was granted that permission...

Dear aysiu, who do we need to ask concerning the usage of the name?

Thanks.

aysiu
March 19th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Dear aysiu, who do we need to ask concerning the usage of the name?

Thanks.
I'm not sure, but mhancoc7 is the maintainer of Ubuntu CE, so you may want to ask him the proper route for obtaining approval of the Ubuntu name.

PartisanEntity
March 19th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Thank you aysiu, I have contacted mhancoc7.

K.Mandla
March 19th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Will you change look of usplash and gnome to green /gold?
If so where can i download the artwork?

All support to Ubuntu ME . :KS
The GTK theme is green-human (http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=38822), if you want to change that. The icon theme is Lush (http://art.gnome.org/themes/icon/390), and the wallpaper is available here (http://img256.imageshack.us/my.php?image=backgroundkp1.jpg), but so far only in 1024x768. There are some alternative backgrounds under discussion in the UbuntuME forums, here (http://ubuntume.com/forums/ftopic42.php). It sounds like a complete redesign is in the works, along with a lot more software specific to Muslim Ubuntu users.

My hope is to see a metapackage at a near date, so a person using a stock Ubuntu installation can simply add a repository and sudo aptitude install ubuntume-desktop. :D

yigal.weinstein
March 19th, 2007, 08:25 PM
I think religious editions have a huge potential. Think about it. People who deeply care about their religion will produce quality programs. If these share their work with the general Ubuntu community there is almost no stopping Ubuntu as a community from + growth. The religious editions will help dramatically with Ubuntu integrating into different languages and possibly in better relations between members of different religions, or no religion, as we work together to create a great OS.

I say work together and do it your way.

Jedi Penguin
March 19th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Open Source GNU/Linux would actually flurish if Islam existed today. Islam actually doesn't recognize any closed licenses. Also there is no privitazation in Islam like we have companies wich privatize water and other natural resources today.

I'm actually glad someone made this. It will be very interesting to see this project. There is a lack of focus on the needs of Muslims, particularly in the technology areas.

Projects like these just shows the very broad perspect that Linux has.

mephisto786
March 20th, 2007, 02:38 AM
So far as I can make out, not quite true about privatization and open source......copyrights are as acceptable in many cases within islam as open source is, it insists upon neither exclusively...... but the very nature of open source implies that forks are allowable, and that code may be used by people whose philosphies and ideas we are diametrically opposed to.....

I personally prefer KDE for example, and yet to install kubuntu i start with an ubuntu base and add the rest, because i find it more stable given the lead that ubuntu devs have on kubuntu .....im hoping all these derivative distros can add some fine packages to the overall repos, or add repos for special uses......but it doesnt mean im going to throw out a stable drake for a beta anything......my OS is for my computer, my beliefs are for living..........and im free to mix and match those in the way that works for me. Others like to try new spins on old distros, great.....

People ought to think about the basic principles of open source and realize that freedom is not restricted to one person or even a majority view of politically correct freedoms.......open source cannot discriminate based on background, profession, religion et al....which inherently allows anyone using these tools. The NSA uses a hardened debian, variant, and Mepis at one point contributed their debian / ubuntu based distro to the us military......and guess what? i dont have to like it if i wish to adhere to the freedoms implied in open source.....as for names and logos, that is an issue for people to take up should a trademark be in question. Linux itself is a trademark....dont believe it? look it up....so asiyu's point is one that any fork ought to heed.

Beyond that, it sounds like a great number of people like to think they have grasped the nature of linux , and Oss and ubuntu and that democracy rules.....it doesn't. ......thanks to open source code there are numerous distros now that spawn numerous communities. Given the size of this community already I really doubt that spinoffs will splinter a fairly monolithic block of users into thousands of tiny forums. Even refusing to contribute to a community is part of the freedom you have as a FOSS user. Not a friendly or constructive one perhaps, but a freedom nonetheless.

If downloading a free system meant you had to join in one community? where is the free as in beer, or free as in speech in that?

Derivatives in a distro is a feature not a bug. If you do your homework, and experiment you may find some derivs are pure crap and poorly maintained, whileothers serve your purposes.....thats the good thing about OSS....its committment to organized anarchy.....all this talk then , outside of making sure that the spinoffs in question have the rights and permissions to use a name , are a tempest in a teapot.......and really a diversion from the original points of advertising more options for special interest groups who want them. Keeping them under third party maintained apps seems a clear enuf warning that canonical doesn't officially support them while still putting the ubuntu name out there.

If you're really concerned about such things, you might want to follow Shuttleworths blog, where these and other issues arise often. If you want to discuss theology and church vs state, maybe that's a whole nother topic. A Hindu, or Muslim or Jewish or Marxist ubuntu? more power to them. Debian itself tends to promote - through fortune-mod and its anarchy docs, a clear sense of beliefs.....Read fortune-off files and you will see a great many dirty limericks and an equal number of atheistic comments You don't like anarchy, don't download the anarchy docs. You don't like the bible? don't download bible reading software.

Forums, distros , irc channels quite often explicitly state "this is not a democracy" if you look closely.....and I might go so far as to say that 'democracy' is one reason etch isn't released yet. For pure democratic distro governance, try debian......for all its many pluses and some minuses. Its one need that Mark Shuttleworth tried to address be becoming SADFL. So the numbers argument never held up in the first place. CE and ME and SE editions may have to change their name (prolly not) but no one can stop them from using the code. Ubuntu's forums are also free to have or not have special sections for various spinoffs.

All in all, an interesting debate but one that is - for the most part - made moot by the GPL, the Ubuntu code of conduct and Ubuntus insistence on remaining free. Not democratic. Free.

tommcd
March 20th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Does anyone think there will ever be a "debian christian edition", or a "gentoo muslim edition", or a, well, you get the idea. I mean, even Microsoft does not do this sort of thing!
Since it is open source and all, I suppose anyone could create any linux OS they wanted. At some point though, it is going to look rather silly, isn't it??

Stone123
March 20th, 2007, 08:33 AM
The GTK theme is green-human (http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=38822), if you want to change that. The icon theme is Lush (http://art.gnome.org/themes/icon/390), and the wallpaper is available here (http://img256.imageshack.us/my.php?image=backgroundkp1.jpg), but so far only in 1024x768. There are some alternative backgrounds under discussion in the UbuntuME forums, here (http://ubuntume.com/forums/ftopic42.php). It sounds like a complete redesign is in the works, along with a lot more software specific to Muslim Ubuntu users.

My hope is to see a metapackage at a near date, so a person using a stock Ubuntu installation can simply add a repository and sudo aptitude install ubuntume-desktop. :D

I was thinking of usplash since i dont use gnome. And i am atheist so i have no need for extra packages.

Does anyone think there will ever be a "debian christian edition", or a "gentoo muslim edition", or a, well, you get the idea. I mean, even Microsoft does not do this sort of thing!
Since it is open source and all, I suppose anyone could create any linux OS they wanted. At some point though, it is going to look rather silly, isn't it??

If you have debated ubuntu CE on same points in its subforum and then ME i would have taken your opinion seriously,

cunawarit
March 20th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Cool :)

I'm waiting for Ubuntu CWOGTMDCAEE

"Ubuntu Catholics Who Only Go To Mass During Christmas And Easter Edition".

mephisto786
March 20th, 2007, 04:20 PM
er, i think i saw a gentoo christian edition awhile back......besides, freedom includes the freedom to look silly......

of course microsoft doesnt do it, theyrn not free.....

Cheers

K.Mandla
March 20th, 2007, 09:30 PM
I was thinking of usplash since i dont use gnome.
Oops, sorry; I completely misread your post. Cheers.

yigal.weinstein
March 20th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Gentoo, and Debian are not about the end user. They are for system administrators, and hackers. Ubuntu, while hacking is required many times, is not intended for any computer experience. It is meant eventually as an end user experience.

It is a revolutionary idea. Many religions have been abused by demagogues in the past, and barbarisms of a bigon era that were picked up as cultural mores. Many religion's histories, if not all, are unfortunately tainted and this is why atheism is a reasonable solution to many people. There are of course other reasons, but this is really off topic at this point.

The main issue is that as an end user you should be able to be comfortable on the computer. People who have a great faith in their faith, in their religion, and their culture deserve to enjoy their computer time around what they care about.

I feel it is much more legitimate to have a Buddhist, Muslim, Jewish, Christian, Hindu, Atheist, etc. edition than a gaming edition. There are many cultures each of which with its strengths and differences and there is no reason that this should not be realized with the software we use. If it matters to enough people to customize Ubuntu and give these customizations back to the community in debs how can this be bad. This is great, reasonable, and beautiful.

mephisto786
March 20th, 2007, 11:06 PM
Excellent point, and well made Yigal.....

The only gripe I ve had with various ubuntus -even before any CE edition was released - was how many DE versions pop up on distrowatch etc.... If you installed suse or RH, you generally had gnome and kde and more, without the KSuse and the GSuse versions ........granted ubuntu is a one disk release , but as it is heavily biased toward pkg download versus cd repos, I have always called my kubuntu box Ubuntu....and usually have three or four other DE loaded in case i want to try them.

Fragmentation or forking is a concern , and even Shuttleworth has commented that such fast growth will lead to such issues......but a faith/cultural based version is more likely to require its own site and name ala distrowatch, since the rest of the various buntus are simply a desktop on the underlying system.

Perhaps gripe is too strong a word, just a general observation really.....

peace

tommcd
March 21st, 2007, 03:10 AM
er, i think i saw a gentoo christian edition awhile back......besides, freedom includes the freedom to look silly......

of course microsoft doesnt do it, theyrn not free.....

Cheers

Any links for gentoo christian? I cant find it.

mephisto786
March 22nd, 2007, 10:31 PM
Its been a while since i saw mention of it, but i think it was on the Lq Forums pages........

cheers

Erik Trybom
April 1st, 2007, 01:25 PM
Seems soon every interest group will have their own Linux version - or rather, a Linux version branded with their favourite subject. Kind of the way t-shirts and caps are sold with sport team logos.

I can definately see a demand for "Manchester United Ubuntu" or "Debian: New York Giants Edition". All it takes is a new theme and some excuse for an application.

What I'm saying is that there's a difference between Kubuntu, which fills a purely technical demand (KDE instead of Gnome ) and Ubuntu Christian Edition, which feels more like a lifestyle statement. Yeah I know they have added an app or two but that could be easily done with a few apt-gets. Instead they've done a full-blown fork.

I'm not at all against it, mind you, they have all the right in the world to do so, and if they want to then go ahead. I just beg them to keep the Ubuntu name away from it.

Why? Well, if Nike decides to release shoes branded "Michael Jordan Edition" it's their decision - but would they want to be connected with "Nike Satanic Edition"? Of course not. It's not part of their marketing scheme and it sounds awful. In my opinion, Ubuntu shouldn't have to lend its name to all those obscure derivatives either. Ubuntu (when talking about Linux) should be a name reserved for official Canonical products.

aysiu
April 1st, 2007, 05:22 PM
I'm not at all against it, mind you, they have all the right in the world to do so, and if they want to then go ahead. I just beg them to keep the Ubuntu name away from it. I agree with you fully on that, but I don't think that's going to happen, especially since Jereme asked Ubuntu for permission to use the name with Christian Edition and actually got the permission.

I love all these editions (you can't really call them "forks," since they're still Ubuntu with just different default packages and artwork), but I'm with you on them not having the Ubuntu name.

Pugwash
April 5th, 2007, 08:29 PM
I agree absolutely that people have an undeniable right to be doing this. And I fully support freedom of speech and the freedom and right to reditribute free software in this way. I completely support the right of religious variants to exist, I just find it a bit sad that some people feel they have to do this.

And as for the back on topic. What is the topic? The thread is simply entitled 'Ubuntu Muslim Edition', and the opening thread simply asked if people had 'any thoughts'?

For what people may or may not feel they are worth, I am merely stating mine.

** EDIT ** I'm also not trying to force my views onto anyone at all. As I say, people have a right to do this, and I will utterly support that right. I'm also not superior to religious people in any way; and its a bit presumptious of you to assume that I'm not religious just because I don't want to wear a badge about it. Its a bit strange to state that I'm the only one highlighting difference here - I am in this thread, at the moment, but as you highlight, there are at least 185 other posts on the matter. And I'm also not looking to fall out with anyone about this. I express my views forcefully, and so do others. That's what debates are about aren't they?

I for one completely agree with your sentiments Steve, how can you reconcile a supposed humanistic philosophy such as Ubuntu, which the founders have chosen to name this distro, with that of religion, probably one of the most divisive forces in the history of man. That being said, I am fully behind people's right to create these distros/versions/editions/whatever for their own communities (shared humanity?), even though I may in principle not agree with them.

Cheers

mephisto786
April 6th, 2007, 04:45 AM
True, unlike religon, philosophy has never been a divisive force in history.....:confused:
apart from issues over actual names, which so far have been okayed by the SABDFL, the main philosophy behind OSS is freedom. So yes, the GPL nd other OSS licenses do provide you the rightto make a US Marine Core distro, whether therest of the world likes it or not.

Until official Ubuntu spokespersons limit the use of the name, live and let live......and many groups with special interest ubuntus already speak of meta pkgsand new repositories, so such software needn't be on 'another buntu, but rather, installable on the standard models.

NB The Gentoo Christian edition comes to mind tho, it seems to have down no harm to the gentoo project

cheers

jmehdi
April 13th, 2007, 08:20 PM
The UbuntuME meta-package has been released. The installation instructions can be found here (http://www.ubuntume.com/installation), and the content here (http://www.ubuntume.com/contents).

This will be the primary method for installing ubuntuME (instead of remastering a CD).

We have also updated the web site (we are using dokuwiki now), and added a blog.

Sunships
May 17th, 2007, 03:05 PM
When I first heard about CE, and now the Muslim edition I'll admit I thought they were silly ideas, but in reading this thread I have realised that this concept has huge potential for increasing uptake. Muslims pay a lot of attention to how trivial things fit in with their faith, and if a financially viable approved "Islamic" alternative is available, will do their best to adopt it. I'm sure it is the same with other faiths too.

One of Ubuntu's greatest strengths is that it is so versatile, and if people are willing to put in the effort to develop and maintain these projects then more power to them. I will say that I do think that all of these different editions should be based on the core Ubuntu distribution, and safeguards should be in place to preserve their compatibility.

Everyone should be able to install from one of the core CDs, and then use apt-get to change to between editions, and in the same way installation from a specific edition's CD should not prevent conversion to another.

ShaqArif
May 25th, 2007, 05:28 PM
I've just come across this (UbuntuME) and I have to say I think it's great).

I have contacts in various Muslim schools and one of those is responsible for the IT department in one. He's given me one of the computers that they have at this school. I will wipe Microsoft XP from this and install Edubuntu on this with the UbuntuME metapackage. He will then receive a computer with a proper OS to evaluate... Potentially several hundred more Ubuntu users!!

As for the whole 'should these derivatives exist' argument - above is an example of why they should.
As someone mentioned earlier, we're all working on fixing bug no. 1... by any means necessary!

I have mentioned Ubuntu to him before, and he was impressed but didn't really do anything about it. With the hook of a Green/Gold theme, I'm a lot more confident...

PartisanEntity
May 25th, 2007, 09:00 PM

I have contacts in various Muslim schools and one of those is responsible for the IT department in one. He's given me one of the computers that they have at this school. I will wipe Microsoft XP from this and install Edubuntu on this with the UbuntuME metapackage. He will then receive a computer with a proper OS to evaluate... Potentially several hundred more Ubuntu users!!

As for the whole 'should these derivatives exist' argument - above is an example of why they should.
As someone mentioned earlier, we're all working on fixing bug no. 1... by any means necessary!

I have mentioned Ubuntu to him before, and he was impressed but didn't really do anything about it. With the hook of a Green/Gold theme, I'm a lot more confident...

I hope it works out, good news :)

mips
May 26th, 2007, 10:00 AM

Just make sure you install all the codecs, java, flash etc or he will think it sucks.

ShaqArif
May 30th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Just make sure you install all the codecs, java, flash etc or he will think it sucks.

Will do - I'm keeping a sample machine for a week and I will be making sure that it's absolutely rock solid before I return it to him!

BatsotO
June 6th, 2007, 01:10 AM
Madrasah around here could use this.
if i could ask something, an app designed on learning how to read in arabic? too much?

webmonkey44
June 21st, 2007, 07:36 AM
I might be Christian, but would'nt bother with either specialized edition. What is the point of them? (in my opinion: not much)

shafin
June 29th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Madrasah around here could use this.
if i could ask something, an app designed on learning how to read in arabic? too much?
You've made a very valid point,Madrasah's all around the world are adopting to computer based educations,and with a certain level of propaganda,they'll be able to see what ubuntu offers,and with proper persuasion,they'll adopt it. That would make the students take Ubuntu as the first Operating system they use,mind it,many of them get their hands on a PC first at the Madrasah's.That could prove to be a huge boost for Ubuntu,it'll get access to at least 100 million students around the world.

jmehdi
July 10th, 2007, 03:18 PM
A new web site is available at ubuntuME.com (http://www.ubuntuME.com) to host open source projects: http://forge.ubuntume.com. It is powered by SharpForge and has the following features:

* Subversion repositories (unlimited space)
* Work Item Tracking
* Project Forums
* Release Management
* Subversion Wiki
* Browse Source Code
* News Feed Aggregation

Send a mail to administrator at ubuntume dot com if you want to host your project on our site.
And if your project is great we could include it in the next version of ubuntuME :)

if i could ask something, an app designed on learning how to read in arabic?
We have just started developing an Arabic learning tool (codename "Muallim (http://82.228.40.86/SharpForge/p/muallim.aspx)") :)

mips
September 12th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Will do - I'm keeping a sample machine for a week and I will be making sure that it's absolutely rock solid before I return it to him!

And, how did it go ?

Hallvor
September 13th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Ubuntu muslim edition - what an oxymoron. Ubuntu is a humanist ideology. There is no such thing as humanist islam.

"Humanism is a broad category of ethical philosophies that affirm the dignity and worth of all people, based on the ability to determine right and wrong by appeal to universal human qualities—particularly rationality.[1][2] It is a component of a variety of more specific philosophical systems and is incorporated into several religious schools of thought. Humanism entails a commitment to the search for truth and morality through human means in support of human interests. In focusing on the capacity for self-determination, Humanism rejects the validity of transcendental justifications, such as a dependence on faith, the supernatural, or allegedly divinely revealed texts."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanism

Am I missing something?

PartisanEntity
September 13th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Ubuntu muslim edition - what an oxymoron. Ubuntu is a humanist ideology. There is no such thing as humanist islam.

"Humanism is a broad category of ethical philosophies that affirm the dignity and worth of all people, based on the ability to determine right and wrong by appeal to universal human qualities—particularly rationality.[1][2] It is a component of a variety of more specific philosophical systems and is incorporated into several religious schools of thought. Humanism entails a commitment to the search for truth and morality through human means in support of human interests. In focusing on the capacity for self-determination, Humanism rejects the validity of transcendental justifications, such as a dependence on faith, the supernatural, or allegedly divinely revealed texts."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanism

Am I missing something?

The last time I checked, Ubuntu was an operating system consisting of 1's and 0's used by millions of all creeds and faiths. So if you feel like picking a fight and blowing it out of proportion then I hope you find someone with an equally huge amount of free time to engage in useless provocation.

aysiu
September 13th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Ubuntu is not a humanist ideology.

Ubuntu is about humanity toward others.

Humanity and humanism are not the same thing.
Main Entry: hu·man·i·ty
1 : the quality or state of being humane
2 a : the quality or state of being human b plural : human attributes or qualities <his work has the ripeness of the 18th century, and its rough humanities -- Pamela H. Johnson>
3 plural : the branches of learning (as philosophy, arts, or languages) that investigate human constructs and concerns as opposed to natural processes (as in physics or chemistry) and social relations (as in anthropology or economics)
4 : the human race : the totality of human beings

ukripper
September 13th, 2007, 02:40 PM
I personally think faith or religions should be kept seperate from OS - Creates segregation and less productive towards computing, just an opinion.

aysiu
September 13th, 2007, 03:43 PM
I personally think faith or religions should be kept seperate from OS - Creates segregation and less productive towards computing, just an opinion.
Actually, what's less productive is trying to stop people from taking advantage of the GPL. Restricting others' freedom to change and redistribute Linux isn't really in line with the "free as in freedom" idea.

r76
September 13th, 2007, 04:12 PM
](*,) I can't believe it - until I read this thread I thought references to Ubuntu CE was for PDAs or suchlike. I live and learn.

Dudes you really need to get better names for your distros - Ubuntu ME and CE sound like Windows castoffs, what next... Ubuntu 95 - an edition lacking USB support? :)

EDIT: just looked at your website - the artwork is lovely. What does the arabic script in the ubuntu logo say? Oh and happy ramadan!

EDIT: Found the answer myself while doing some background reading on Wikipedia - "Allah" - the writing's on the wall (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Dcp7323-Edirne-Eski_Camii_Allah.jpg)(so to speak)

PartisanEntity
September 13th, 2007, 04:27 PM
](*,) I can't believe it - until I read this thread I thought references to Ubuntu CE was for PDAs or suchlike. I live and learn.

Dudes you really need to get better names for your distros - Ubuntu ME and CE sound like Windows castoffs, what next... Ubuntu 95 - an edition lacking USB support? :)

EDIT: just looked at your website - the artwork is lovely. What does the arabic script in the ubuntu logo say? Oh and happy ramadan!

It says Allah (Arabic for God) :)

Hallvor
September 13th, 2007, 07:50 PM
The last time I checked, Ubuntu was an operating system consisting of 1's and 0's used by millions of all creeds and faiths. So if you feel like picking a fight and blowing it out of proportion then I hope you find someone with an equally huge amount of free time to engage in useless provocation.

The problem is not that muslims make a distro specially made for muslims, that islam isn`t humanistic, or for that matter that you write an emotional reply (missing the point, by the way), to something you at the same time label as "useless provocation".

It is probably just me who sees the oxymoron of the name. A distro that both names itself after a humanist philosophy and a non-humanist religion, should with all respect have chosen a different name. It is almost like having a distro called Vegetarian Linux - Meat Lover`s Edition. But then, it is just my personal opinion. Nothing else.

aysiu: It is probably more accurate of me to call Ubuntu a philosophy that also might be applied in the political sphere, and not an ideology. Except from that, I am afraid you are wrong. Ubuntu is an ethical - or humanist - philosophy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_%28ideology%29

Humanism may be defined as:

"...seeking, without religion, the best in, and for, human beings." Chambers Pocket Dictionary

"...a doctrine, attitude, or way of life centered on human interests or values; especially: a philosophy that usually rejects supernaturalism and stresses an individual's dignity and worth and capacity for self-realization through reason." Merriam Webster Dictionary

"...a non-religious philosophy, based on liberal human values." Little Oxford Dictionary

"...an appeal to reason in contrast to revelation or religious authority as a means of finding out about the natural world and destiny of man, and also giving a grounding for morality... Humanist ethics is also distinguished by placing the end of moral action in the welfare of humanity rather than in fulfilling the will of God." Oxford Companion to Philosophy

"The rejection of religion in favor of the advancement of humanity by its own efforts." Collins Concise Dictionary

"That which is characteristically human, not supernatural, that which belongs to man and not to external nature, that which raises man to his greatest height or gives him, as man, his greatest satisfaction." Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences

"A system of thought that centers on humans and their values, capacities, and worth." American Heritage Dictionary

Islam is not it... clearly. Humanism rejects transcendental justifications, which in practice means rejecting the Quran (and the Hadith) as fundaments of ethics, and basing ethics on human rationality.

As to the definition of Ubuntu. It is correct that there is a simplified definition saying that it means "humanity towards others", but in reality the essence of the philosophy - or any philosophy - cannot be summed up in three words alone. The word Ubuntu is very complex, but a few have attempted to define it:

"A person with ubuntu is open and available to others, affirming of others, does not feel threatened that others are able and good, for he or she has a proper self-assurance that comes from knowing that he or she belongs in a greater whole and is diminished when others are humiliated or diminished, when others are tortured or oppressed." -Desmond Tutu, 1999

"A traveller through our country would stop at a village, and he didn't have to ask for food or for water. Once he stops, the people give him food, entertain him. That is one aspect of Ubuntu but Ubuntu has various aspects. Ubuntu does not mean that people should not enrich themselves. The question therefore is: Are you going to do so in order to enable the community around you to improve?" -Nelson Mandela

Humanity towards others is a part of Ubuntu, but to equal the two is in my opinion simplistic.

Like I said above, I have nothing against a muslim distribution, or for that matter, the users thereof. But UbuntuME is clearly an oxymoron. But again, it is just my opinion.

:popcorn:

aysiu
September 13th, 2007, 08:52 PM
You're making too much of one word that appears within a much larger Wikipedia entry. The person who wrote the word humanism in that entry may not have even known the larger implications of that word.

In the very entry you linked to, it says
Louw (1998) suggests that the concept of ubuntu defines the individual in terms of their several relationships with others, and stresses the importance of ubuntu as a religious concept. He states that while the Zulu maxim umuntu ngumuntu ngabantu ("a person is a person through (other) persons") may have no apparent religious connotations in the context of Western society, in an African context it suggests that the person one is to become by behaving with humanity is an ancestor worthy of respect or veneration. Those who uphold the principle of ubuntu throughout their lives will, in death, achieve a unity with those still living. In other words, you're extrapolating a lot from word in one article that may have even been mistaken. Ubuntu has religious roots, and Archbishop Desmond Tutu (one of the people who has popularized the term Ubuntu internationally) is, in fact, a religious figure and doesn't hide that fact.

If Ubuntu (the software company) decided (which it hasn't) to exclude religious use of Ubuntu, I would dump the distro in a second--not because of my personal religious beliefs, but because of my belief that software claiming to be about freedom should not restrict its users.

From the Ubuntu Philosophy page (from Mark Shuttleworth's Ubuntu):
For Ubuntu, the 'free' in 'free software' is used primarily in reference to freedom, and not to price - although we are committed to not charging for Ubuntu. The most important thing about Ubuntu is that it confers rights of software freedom on the people who install and use it. It is these freedoms that enable the Ubuntu community to grow, continue to share its collective experience and expertise to improve Ubuntu and make it suitable for use in new countries and new industries. It's about freedom. It's not about anti-religion.

From the What is Ubuntu? page:
Ubuntu is an African word meaning 'Humanity to others', or 'I am what I am because of who we all are'. The Ubuntu distribution brings the spirit of Ubuntu to the software world. Again, no mention of being non-religious or anti-religious. No implication or even a hint at such a thing.

Hallvor
September 14th, 2007, 09:12 AM
In other words, you're extrapolating a lot from word in one article that may have even been mistaken. Ubuntu has religious roots, and Archbishop Desmond Tutu (one of the people who has popularized the term Ubuntu internationally) is, in fact, a religious figure and doesn't hide that fact.

And on the other hand, you are relying too heavily on the interpretation of an archbishop who surely didn`t invent it, patent it, or has any monopoly of the interpretation of it. There is a saying that if you own a hammer, a lot of things out there will start looking like nails. So that a religious person sees concepts out there that are compatible with their religion, it does not mean that it sprung out of the religion in the first place.
But having said that, and though I am not religious myself, quite a few Christians have found common ground with humanism, and Jesus had a few humanist teachings: "You shall love thy neighbor as thyself" - Matthew 22:39, Mark 12:31, Luke 10:27 (also Leviticus 19:18)

“Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand
"Come, ye blessed of my Father,
inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
For I was an hungry, and ye gave me meat:
I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink:
I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
Naked, and ye clothed me:
I was sick, and ye visited me:
I was in prison, and ye came unto me."
Then shall the righteous answer him, saying,
"Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee?
or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in?
or naked, and clothed thee?
Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
And the King shall answer and say unto them,
"Verily I say unto you,
Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren,
ye have done it unto me."”
- Matthew 25:34-40

Christian humanism as a movement was a result of the Renaissance and the Reformation. It stressed that one had to go back to the original sources and study them with reason, while at the same time challenging younger interpretations. A christian humanism would reject to view christian tradition the same way as a brick wall, with new bricks of tradition and truths added as they were decided by religious authority. Christian humanism means going back to the foundation – the Bible – reading it using reason, rejecting scholastic methodology, while questioning the usefulness of each brick above the foundation.

If Ubuntu (the software company) decided (which it hasn't) to exclude religious use of Ubuntu, I would dump the distro in a second--not because of my personal religious beliefs, but because of my belief that software claiming to be about freedom should not restrict its users.

I have never talked about excluding religious use of Ubuntu. If Muslims want to make their own distro, by all means do so. This was however not the reason why I questioned the name of Ubuntu ME. The reason I questioned it is because Ubuntu as a philosophy belongs in a humanist tradition (centers on human ethics and reason, not deities and scholastic tradition), and Islam does not – in fact, it is in many cases close to the opposite, and has not been as successful as Christianity in making a philosophical bridge between the two. A strong Muslim humanist tradition is yet to be invented. I only questioned the oxymoron of the name, and not free use of the distro for anyone. That is my point and my personal opinion, and only that.

saxuntu
September 14th, 2007, 07:47 PM
On the "Distro" front:
I agree that including Bible/Quran study software does not a distro make. Ultimate is different in my mind because it switches out "technical" software (by witch i mean including Automatrix, Bluetooth support, etc). Just my philosophy.

On the "Meta Package" v "Distro"/naming front:
If they are just going to include apps that don't help the technical performance of the OS then another name is needed. Including the Study apps on the LiveCD is cool for the reasons listed on the posts above, but i don't think it requires rebranding in the "Edition" sense. Maybe call it "Ubuntu plus Christian/Muslim/Subgroup Apps" Same if you wanted to create an Ubuntu LiveCD with more games, Ubuntu plus Games. You didn't change anything under the hood just added some chrome and a new radio.

PartisanEntity
September 14th, 2007, 09:08 PM
UbuntuME and UbuntuCE are no different than Ubuntu Studio. Instead of a Muslim or Christian having to download individual applications, these are pre-packaged for them with all applications and resources they might need. The same goes for Ubuntu Studio or Ubuntu Ultimate. In fact UbuntuME is now also a meta-package with very impressive graphical additions.

Get over it, Ubuntu is for human beings, in all our manifestations, shapes, colours, sizes and beliefs.

Mahmoud
September 25th, 2007, 05:15 AM
if all that is different is just some artwork and few applications.

then I would prefer just one Ubuntu ISO (official ISO) and then something like:
sudo apt-get install ubuntume-desktop
or from a GUI packages manager

I think that's a better way for mirrors, bugs tracking, ...etc

Even for beginners, they will get used to package management sooner or later.

by the way, I did not like the firefox toolbar theme in the screenshots.. It is not clear, the original one is better.

PartisanEntity
September 25th, 2007, 06:55 AM
if all that is different is just some artwork and few applications.

then I would prefer just one Ubuntu ISO (official ISO) and then something like:
sudo apt-get install ubuntume-desktop
or from a GUI packages manager

I think that's a better way for mirrors, bugs tracking, ...etc

Even for beginners, they will get used to package management sooner or later.

This is already the case, ubuntume is a meta package which can be downloaded using apt-get.

jmehdi
October 12th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Eid Mubarak ! :p

In these blessed days we have released the final version of Ubuntu Muslim Edition 7.04, alHamdulillah.

Download it here: http://www.ubuntume.com/installation
(there is also a script that enables you to "convert" a standard ubuntu to ubuntuME)

More details about the content: http://www.ubuntume.com/contents

wa alaykum salam

Tom Mann
October 12th, 2007, 02:46 PM
I had a look at this - bearing in mind that America and the Muslim world never (seemingly) really got along so well (at least from the media's point of view) is that the real meaning of Windows ME?

jase21
October 12th, 2007, 10:43 PM
i think making distros based on religion isn't much good...
Why bring religion ,politics nationality etc for the software code??
Useless..
Better those who need prayer time etc can install packages and ask question rgarding that. That would be better to avoid future conflicts...

PartisanEntity
October 12th, 2007, 11:17 PM
i think making distros based on religion isn't much good...
Why bring religion ,politics nationality etc for the software code??
Useless..
Better those who need prayer time etc can install packages and ask question rgarding that. That would be better to avoid future conflicts...

The beauty of the open source world is having choice. There are thousands of Linux and Ubuntu users who are Muslims. So it was quite logical and obvious that a meta-package customised for Muslims would save us the time of hunting down applications and installing them.

UbuntuME is like UbuntuStudio, or Edubuntu, or UbuntuCE.

Live with it. Use it. Ignore it.

r4ik
October 13th, 2007, 12:00 AM
[quote]
No can do it is like to be able to see when you are blind. Ignore them will not be the same, love them respect them like whe should with any other people or religion.

PartisanEntity
October 13th, 2007, 12:12 AM
[quote]
No can do it is like to be able to see when you are blind. Ignore them will not be the same, love them respect them like whe should with any other people or religion.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean ?

r4ik
October 13th, 2007, 01:34 AM
Ignoring a religion will not make it go away .If my or you're believe is disrespected do something about it.
If we like it or not ,we should learn to respect all religions if we like them or not.
It goes the other way around to.
If you're or my believe is disrespected than stand stand up for for the freedom of religion, you have got in you're country.
But just do not think religion has fences.
It is a freedom of choice a bit like Linux is.
Bottom line if we all want to live on this globe we have to learn a lot about each other.
I mean what do i know about people in in Afghanistan ?

ayenack
October 13th, 2007, 03:53 AM
I just don't see the problem, why is this a problem for some people? I don't get it. I think the Ubuntu Muslim Addition (not a misspelling) is a great thing. How brilliant would it be if you're a Muslim new to GNU/Linux to find out that you are actually catered for with a custom edition of Ubuntu. What a welcome to GNU/Linux and Ubuntu. And not only this but that you also have a forum to air your questions on. Surely this can only be a good thing? To me this is a great thing especially in the world of computers where the Islamic world is largely ignored.

The Ubuntu Muslim Edition is also a tool of learning to bring the true meaning of the Koran to as many people as will listen. Koran should probably be spelled Qur'an not sure though.

mnml
October 13th, 2007, 11:04 AM
if they like it thats fine !

themerchant
October 13th, 2007, 09:12 PM
I've been waiting for this come outside of alpha. I just burned a copy, not for myself entirely, maybe a masjid nearby might want to use a copy (I install zekr and the such manually). I think its a great idea for offshoots to come off a distribution, most distributions are offshoots. I think too many people here are just putting this and the christian edition down because of their own ideas on religion get in the way which is just plain stupid, its good for a certain community and if its spreading open source then be happy for it, don't be so intolerant This isn't about your opinion on a certain religion, thats what some people here posting are making it into. ! Don't put it down if its not geared toward you, isn't that what distributions are made for, geared towards certain users? Cause I know some people who'd love this distro.

On top of all that, this isn't a religious debate, its about software, get off of it, jeez some people arrogant. You want to argue that Islam isn't a humanist religion? Go somewhere else and argue it. I'm pretty sure lots of people would like to argue against Christianity about it having anti humanist values, but this isn't place. I'm sure there are other forums for that.

Eid Mubarak! Peace to all.

ayenack
October 13th, 2007, 11:05 PM
You know something I'm going to go to my local Mosque and introduce them to UbuntuME. I hope they talke it up.

pishiman
October 14th, 2007, 09:09 AM
"Divide and Conquer" - More distros = less Ubuntu (it's a fact)
This ME version of Ubuntu is a scam in my opinion, run by people who are hoping to redirect some traffic to their businesses. If all that's different is a theme pack or a couple of ME oriented software, I just don't see any reason why someone would even bother creating an Ubuntu distro that's no different to the original. So what's next?

UbuntuTE - terrorists edition
UbuntuAE - alqaeda edition
UbuntuBE - Bush edition
UbuntuGE - gay edition
and so on...

It makes me sick, please stop this madness and just work on one stable ubuntu

PartisanEntity
October 14th, 2007, 11:05 AM
This ME version of Ubuntu is a scam in my opinion, run by people who are hoping to redirect some traffic to their businesses. If all that's different is a theme pack or a couple of ME oriented software, I just don't see any reason why someone would even bother creating an Ubuntu distro that's no different to the original. So what's next?

UbuntuBE - Bush edition
UbuntuGE - gay edition
and so on...

By your logic there should not be an Ubuntu at all, after all it is just a Debian derivative.

But you are right, we only work on UbuntuME in order to recruit people for our global Jihad against the unbelievers. We have an application installed called TTalk (Terrorism Talk), kind of like Google Talk but for terrorists only. Also, yes you are right, me and the other maintainers are scammers, we just want to make millions of dollars actually.

ayenack
October 14th, 2007, 03:10 PM
:lolflag:

meho_r
October 14th, 2007, 05:15 PM

UbuntuBE - Bush edition
UbuntuGE - gay edition
and so on...

Well, if you decide to make UbuntuPE -- pishiman edition, let it be :) It'll not make me sick and others too, I'm sure. If it makes you happy, I'll be happy for you too. And, you should thoroughly read ''Ubuntu philosophy'' ;)

PartisanEntity, there are people who appreciate and are grateful for your and other maintainer's efforts. Thank you for making this possible :D

BTW, what is with UbuntuME 64-bit? Any plans?

aysiu
October 14th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Ubuntu ME has a company behind it? How does this company make money? How does it make the original Ubuntu less stable?

pishiman
October 14th, 2007, 05:27 PM
By your logic there should not be an Ubuntu at all, after all it is just a Debian derivative.

But you are right, we only work on UbuntuME in order to recruit people for our global Jihad against the unbelievers. We have an application installed called TTalk (Terrorism Talk), kind of like Google Talk but for terrorists only. Also, yes you are right, me and the other maintainers are scammers, we just want to make millions of dollars actually.

I think you should maintain the GE edition of Ubuntu, suits you better. I mean seriously, keep religion out of Ubuntu. And if this is not a scam, why is your site(or who's ever it is) running a prominent dating ad? How Islamic is that to offer religious software on one end and an incentive to date and have sex on the other?

Antman
October 14th, 2007, 06:20 PM
How Islamic is that to offer religious software on one end and an incentive to date and have sex on the other?

You forget that humans are...... human, and just like bibles, filled with contradiction. Just let it go and move on. :guitar:

PartisanEntity
October 14th, 2007, 09:32 PM
I think you should maintain the GE edition of Ubuntu, suits you better. I mean seriously, keep religion out of Ubuntu. And if this is not a scam, why is your site(or who's ever it is) running a prominent dating ad? How Islamic is that to offer religious software on one end and an incentive to date and have sex on the other?

First of all the banner is of an Islamic marriage service, there is nothing un-Islamic about marriage or a marriage service. This is not dating/sex service you genius.

Secondly, did you notice that is says FREE ISLAMIC BANNER EXCHANGE right under the banner? This way we hope the project will get some exposure on other Muslim sites. You host banners of other Islamic sites for FREE and they do the same, for FREE.

The only conclusion from your pitiful comments so far is that you are very ignorant.

pishiman
October 14th, 2007, 11:24 PM
First of all the banner is of an Islamic marriage service, there is nothing un-Islamic about marriage or a marriage service. This is not dating/sex service you genius.

Secondly, did you notice that is says FREE ISLAMIC BANNER EXCHANGE right under the banner? This way we hope the project will get some exposure on other Muslim sites. You host banners of other Islamic sites for FREE and they do the same, for FREE.

The only conclusion from your pitiful comments so far is that you are very ignorant.

lol @ marriage service. Since more than 90% Muslim men are unable to have sex before marriage (due to traditional values and religious issues), it's not all so surprising that these 90% men opt for online dating/marriage services to fulfill their fantasies. So what you think is a marriage service, is just another dating site that fuels sexual desire among Muslims. Not only that, I reckon it's a paid service. Prove me wrong.

I'd normally say f*** the truth but it's the truth that normally f***s you.

Hallvor
October 15th, 2007, 07:15 AM
lol @ marriage service. Since more than 90% Muslim men are unable to have sex before marriage (due to traditional values and religious issues), it's not all so surprising that these 90% men opt for online dating/marriage services to fulfill their fantasies. So what you think is a marriage service, is just another dating site that fuels sexual desire among Muslims. Not only that, I reckon it's a paid service. Prove me wrong.

ShiŽa muslims have something called mutha or sighe to solve this "problem", so called "marriages of pleasure". So if someone is already married and finds a date - i mean wife, he can marry her in a "marriage of pleasure" for a certain period of time - from one hour(!) to 99 years. Men can have several parallell marriages, while women can only have one. It is not encourraged to have children in such marriages, since the goal is "pleasure". So even though I don`t know if the marriage service is intended for having a family or pleasure, or both, I can`t see any contradiction with (shiŽa) islam here.

PartisanEntity
October 15th, 2007, 08:57 AM

You are rude and condescending so this is the last thing I have to say to someone of your low level.

I don't think you get the point, the banner is part of a free banner exchange service where Islamic sites sign up and display each others banners for free, so you get all kinds of companies, services and projects on there. The banners load randomly (or based on impression purchases) from the exchange website. The founder of UbuntuME, who is also the admin of the ubuntume.com site, signed up ubuntume.com into this free banner exchange service in order to advertise UbuntuME on Islamic sites. He, nor any other member of this banner exchange, have no control over which banners are displayed. Either way, as I said earlier, a marriage service does not go against Islamic teachings. A dating service would.

That's it, go insult a wall, garden snail or something else of your IQ level. You are pitiful.

ShiŽa muslims have something called mutha or sighe to solve this "problem", so called "marriages of pleasure". So if someone is already married and finds a date - i mean wife, he can marry her in a "marriage of pleasure" for a certain period of time - from one hour(!) to 99 years. Men can have several parallell marriages, while women can only have one. It is not encourraged to have children in such marriages, since the goal is "pleasure". So even though I don`t know if the marriage service is intended for having a family or pleasure, or both, I can`t see any contradiction with (shiŽa) islam here.

This is not accepted by mainstream Muslim scholars or schools of thought. Unfortunately a lot of what the Shi'a do is a deviation from Islamic teachings. They even practice ideas or rituals that are forbidden in Islam which has lead to them being referred to as deviators from the faith. A mut'a marriage is nothing more than 'managed' prostitution.

meho_r
October 15th, 2007, 11:17 AM
This is going out of control as off topic. Pishiman, you really need to read and learn. I don't know what your problem with religion is, but you should keep it for yourself or go to Backyard and spill your frustrations there, for here's not the place. Ubuntu community is nice and helpful, not rude or ignorant. If you cannot follow the road you shouldn't be here. Any comment and suggestion are welcome, you have right to have your opinion, but you shouldn't insult other members because of them. Give constructive advice or critique, or don't say anything. Linux is about choice and freedom and it will stay that way whether you and I like it or not. Live with it.

pishiman
October 16th, 2007, 01:32 AM
This is going out of control as off topic. Pishiman, you really need to read and learn. I don't know what your problem with religion is, but you should keep it for yourself or go to Backyard and spill your frustrations there, for here's not the place. Ubuntu community is nice and helpful, not rude or ignorant. If you cannot follow the road you shouldn't be here. Any comment and suggestion are welcome, you have right to have your opinion, but you shouldn't insult other members because of them. Give constructive advice or critique, or don't say anything. Linux is about choice and freedom and it will stay that way whether you and I like it or not. Live with it.

It's funny to see people take online discussions so seriously that they make themselves an integral part of it, as if a virtual world is of far more importance. It happens all the time. A guy comes in and explains me the site rules and policies and eventually, with the help of his like minded friends, convinces the admins that I pose harm to precious community. If only muslims were this caring outside the shelter of their homes that the World would have been a much better place to live. My point (go back and read) was quite clear - work on just one Ubuntu and make it better, less buggy, and convenient for an average Windows user. Later on, you could just install an Islamic package by apt-get.

I'm not a racist and my intentions are not to offend religion or the followers of Islam. But every other day I come across Muslims who get very angry as if all arguments are anti-religious or racist. Keep religion out of Ubuntu or just don't ask for an opinion by typing gayshi*t like "Why not, Christians have one too?". The first few posts on this thread were already defending UME even tough no one objected.

A shia' won't use an Ubuntu if done by a sunni, so that's one more reason why there shouldn't an Ubuntu ME.

mnml
October 16th, 2007, 01:43 AM
Any Steganographic softs included in that release? :o))))

private joke !

r76
October 16th, 2007, 06:39 PM
My point (go back and read) was quite clear - work on just one Ubuntu and make it better, less buggy, and convenient for an average Windows user. Later on, you could just install an Islamic package by apt-get.

Are you implying that any development time is being lost from Ubuntu to devote to this project? Do you understand who is doing this, in their free time... The packages can all be downloaded individually BUT it might help spur interest in *x* part of the population if there is a ubuntu *x* edition, on a convenient disk targeted at them.

The Ubuntu philosophy is not just about making something convenient for Windows users :roll:
Show a little humanity toward others, if you don't like it, you don't have to come here and complain :)

PartisanEntity
October 16th, 2007, 08:36 PM
I don't think such people understand that this is a project by Ubuntu users and for Ubuntu users. Plus he probably never heard of Ubuntu Studio or any other versions of Ubuntu but felt compelled to spew ignorance and hatred anyway.

We currently have 2000 users on our UbuntuME forum, enough interest obviously amongst Muslim Ubuntu users.

No need to show barn manners and **** on someone else's parade, if you don't like it you are free to ignore it.

meho_r
October 16th, 2007, 11:06 PM
It's funny to see people take online discussions so seriously that they make themselves an integral part of it, as if a virtual world is of far more importance. It happens all the time. A guy comes in and explains me the site rules and policies and eventually, with the help of his like minded friends, convinces the admins that I pose harm to precious community. If only muslims were this caring outside the shelter of their homes that the World would have been a much better place to live. My point (go back and read) was quite clear - work on just one Ubuntu and make it better, less buggy, and convenient for an average Windows user. Later on, you could just install an Islamic package by apt-get.

Well if some people would have more understanding for others and respect them as they are the world would be much better place to live, indeed.

Your point is clear to me, but I don't agree. As I said it's all about choice and freedom. If people want to make new eds. let them be. If you have constructive advice or suggestion, you're welcome. It will not do any harm to 'main' Ubuntu, on the contrary -- it will make it popular among people who, if not for those new editions, will never even think about Linux generaly, Ubuntu in particular.

I'm not a racist and my intentions are not to offend religion or the followers of Islam.

OK, I believe you

But every other day I come across Muslims who get very angry as if all arguments are anti-religious or racist.

Maybe it's in the way of arguing, not arguments themselves, don't you think?

Keep religion out of Ubuntu or just don't ask for an opinion by typing gayshi*t like "Why not, Christians have one too?". The first few posts on this thread were already defending UME even tough no one objected.

A shia' won't use an Ubuntu if done by a sunni, so that's one more reason why there shouldn't an Ubuntu ME.

Maybe not, but they are free to make one more edition ;)

pishiman
October 17th, 2007, 05:25 PM
I can't wait to see this project fail. I'd say the same for CE edition of Ubuntu, no exceptions on religion. At a time when Muslims are already suffering colossal damage due to their lack of thinking and imagination, you come up with a package that further dampens their hope of revival and compensation. The advertising slogan for UME is more like "If you're a muslim, get UME". So in reality, UME is further isolating Muslims from the rest of the World. Why is it so difficult to understand? Just because Christians have their version of Ubuntu doesn't mean you have to have one for Islam as well. I'll tell you what though, if you really want to create something for Islam, and for the better of every muslim, don't copy the work of non-muslims, design an OS yourself(from scratch). So if there are 2000 active users on UME forums, why can't they(or you?) design a new OS rather than gaytising "Hey look, we've created an Ubuntu for muslims". No you haven't, you just changed the template.

PartisanEntity
October 17th, 2007, 05:33 PM
I can't wait to see this project fail. I'd say the same for CE edition of Ubuntu, no exceptions on religion. At a time when Muslims are already suffering colossal damage due to their lack of thinking and imagination, you come up with a package that further dampens their hope of revival and compensation. The advertising slogan for UME is more like "If you're a muslim, get UME". So in reality, UME is further isolating Muslims from the rest of the World. Why is it so difficult to understand? Just because Christians have their version of Ubuntu doesn't mean you have to have one for Islam as well. I'll tell you what though, if you really want to create something for Islam, and for the better of every muslim, don't copy the work of non-muslims, design an OS yourself(from scratch). So if there are 2000 active users on UME forums, why can't they(or you?) design a new OS rather than gaytising "Hey look, we've created an Ubuntu for muslims". No you haven't, you just changed the template.

From our UbuntuME Wiki:

What is Ubuntu Muslim Edition?

Ubuntu Muslim Edition is a set of packages that customizes the Ubuntu distro by installing islamic software (prayer times, Quran study tool, web content filtering tool etc.) and by changing its design.

I mentioned it before, but you obviously are not interested in the response, you merely want to spew your ignorance and hatred.

UbuntuME is not a project to reinvent the wheel but to customise it for certain people amongst the Ubuntu user base. Just like Ubuntu Studio, Ubuntu Ultimate or Ubuntu CE. In fact it is just like Ubuntu itself which is a customisation of Debian to make it more user friendly.

Now you can continue to whine like a little baby and make one dumb and hateful comment after another, it won't have any effect. You have revealed yourself to be a hypocrite who has nothing to say.

Druke
October 17th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Good luck with the project!

PartisanEntity
October 17th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Thank you Druke! :)

mnml
October 17th, 2007, 06:24 PM
If they want to do linux in that way i don't see where is the problem , If they also contribute to regular packages.

ayenack
October 17th, 2007, 07:31 PM

So you'd like to get rid of These as well I suppose.

http://www.ubuntu.com/
http://ubuntu-women.org/
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=76
http://www.kubuntu.org/
http://www.xubuntu.org/
http://www.knoppix.org/
http://www.archlinux.org/

And the hundreds of other distro's based on Debian (http://www.debian.org/) and their related sites. Why stop there why not get rid of all the servers, sure that would do us all a lot of good even better why not get rid of GNU/Linux altogether as it's a derivative of Unix (http://www.unix.org/).

How do you think all these great distro's came about in the first place. They didn't appear out of thin air. They were products of individuals and groups of people adapting and advancing the software in the way that you seem to object to. If there were more people like you then GNU/Linux would still be at the command line. Fortunately there are not.

Originally posted by pishiman
So in reality, UME is further isolating Muslims from the rest of the World.

Seems quite the opposite to me.

Take a look at yourself and grow up.

You can respond to this but you are now on my ignore list so don't expect a reply.

ayenack.

Amorphous_Snake
October 17th, 2007, 11:58 PM
I am glad that Ubuntu ME was released and I am really looking forward to use it. Excellent work and a big thanks to the developers. This will introduce more and more people to Linux and Ubuntu.

Any plans for 7.10?

pishiman
October 18th, 2007, 04:58 AM
Thank you Druke! :)

Lmao.

pishiman
October 18th, 2007, 05:11 AM
So you'd like to get rid of These as well I suppose.

http://www.ubuntu.com/
http://ubuntu-women.org/
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=76
http://www.kubuntu.org/
http://www.xubuntu.org/
http://www.knoppix.org/
http://www.archlinux.org/

And the hundreds of other distro's based on Debian (http://www.debian.org/) and their related sites. Why stop there why not get rid of all the servers, sure that would do us all a lot of good even better why not get rid of GNU/Linux altogether as it's a derivative of Unix (http://www.unix.org/).

How do you think all these great distro's came about in the first place. They didn't appear out of thin air. They were products of individuals and groups of people adapting and advancing the software in the way that you seem to object to. If there were more people like you then GNU/Linux would still be at the command line. Fortunately there are not.

Seems quite the opposite to me.

Take a look at yourself and grow up.

You can respond to this but you are now on my ignore list so don't expect a reply.

ayenack.

So you think all these distros helped expand Ubuntu(linux in general) into desktops? Last time I checked, Linux held a desktop market share of.. hmm... < 1%? Like I said, "more distros = less Ubuntu". And since Linux is a pain the *** for many(driver installation, poor wireless support etc), I don't see how Ume counters these issues, it's an Ubuntu wrapped in Islamic colors. lame...

kellemes
October 18th, 2007, 10:50 AM
So you think all these distros helped expand Ubuntu(linux in general) into desktops? Last time I checked, Linux held a desktop market share of.. hmm... < 1%? Like I said, "more distros = less Ubuntu". And since Linux is a pain the *** for many(driver installation, poor wireless support etc), I don't see how Ume counters these issues, it's an Ubuntu wrapped in Islamic colors. lame...

I do believe the different flavores of identical distro's (like *buntu) helps expanding GNU/Linux is in the desktopmarket, eventhough the marketshare is almost unmeasurable small.

People have a need to be part of a club or something like that.. lets hug and be friends.. yak! Not for me..
Still, I think it's fine for others.. if Muslims wanne be part of UME let them, nothing wrong with that. I see it as a chance to get Muslims online and share a little of our world with them, and vica versa..

Naatan
October 20th, 2007, 12:31 AM
muslim edition? christian edition?

omg.. -.-

I vouch for atheist edition :-\"

aysiu
October 20th, 2007, 12:48 AM
I vouch for atheist edition :-\" Then make it.

Ubuntu ME and Ubuntu CE didn't come about because some Muslims and Christians "vouched" for them. They came about because someone actually bothered to remaster the Ubuntu ISO. Remaster it yourself, and you can have Atheist Edition. No one's stopping you.

Naatan
October 20th, 2007, 09:54 AM
I was being sarcastic....

I agree with pishiman, I really don't see the point in starting off all these little spinoff distro's..

why not just make a package that 'extends' Ubuntu, that you install on top of it.

But hey do what you want, if you guys wanna have your "own" little distro.. by all means go right ahead

TidusBlade
October 20th, 2007, 10:16 AM
I would like to find out where to get the packages available in ME edition is anyone knows :) I like the idea but I'd rather get the packages I want from that distro instead. some of them like Zekr and the recitations would be really useful, they have a file to convert me normal ubuntu installation to ME edition, but I just want a few programs...
On a side note, I really think it's a great idea, Ubuntu + Islamic apps, I dont see anything wrong with it, I'm an Islamic student and find it really good.

aysiu
October 20th, 2007, 03:43 PM
I really don't see the point in starting off all these little spinoff distro's..

why not just make a package that 'extends' Ubuntu, that you install on top of it. I really don't see the point in making a package that extends Ubuntu that you install on top of it.

Why not just remaster the ISO to make a little spinoff distro?

Seriously. Why is a metapackage considered something to "just" be done, while a spinoff distro is something that needs more of a point? If someone wants to do the work, let her or him do the work. You don't have to see the point of it. And it's also a lot of work to make a metapackage.

charaboya
October 21st, 2007, 03:01 PM
Well, I don't think there's anything wrong with all those ubuntu flavours and derivatives.
As a matter of fact, I'm gonna dl this geat edition and try it myself.
Just a quick question, will 7.10 based edition be released soon?

FredB
October 21st, 2007, 03:06 PM
There is nothing wrong. But what about :

- JE => Jewish Edition
- BE => Buddhist Edition

And so on ? ;)

anarchypower
October 21st, 2007, 03:31 PM
Since I am against religion I believe distributions like these are simply ********. Where's the atheist versionof ubuntu huh? Did anyone make that? I guess no...

aysiu
October 21st, 2007, 04:34 PM
There is nothing wrong. But what about :

- JE => Jewish Edition
- BE => Buddhist Edition

And so on ? ;)
When a Jewish or Buddhist Ubuntu user wants to remaster the Ubuntu ISO for that purpose, then we will see those editions. I thought they already existed, actually, but a Google search just turned up ideas, not actual ISOs to download.

kellemes
October 21st, 2007, 08:50 PM
Since I am against religion I believe distributions like these are simply ********. Where's the atheist versionof ubuntu huh? Did anyone make that? I guess no...

What's you point?
By the way.. Isn't Ubuntu free of religion?

anarchypower
October 22nd, 2007, 07:11 PM
What's you point?
By the way.. Isn't Ubuntu free of religion?

My point is that religion keeps separating us as humans. We should be freed from this poison called 'belief'.

justin whitaker
October 22nd, 2007, 07:23 PM
I like the idea of all of these spin-offs, actually. The interest in CE, ME, and others just goes to show that there is a market out there which is not being served by the larger Linux and IT community.

I don't have a need for them, since I don't need a prayer time application, or anything to study the Bible or Koran, but I can get beyond my own needs and biases and see where someone might find those useful, even essential.

The beauty of open source is that people can tweak it all to their needs. If you don't like them, don't download them, don't use them.

I hope Ubuntu CE and ME has a long and fruitful life and bring in a lot of new Linux users.

equal
October 22nd, 2007, 07:36 PM
I always find angry atheists to be the funniest people. Laissez faire man. So what if some dude wants to make an .iso that includes a daily Koran verse? So what if some woman creates a distro with satanic tendencies? Does it affect your experience as an Ubuntu user? It doesn't affect me.

For the record, I have no belief in god. But it seems to me preaching disdain for people of religious belief is just as bad as being religious and shunning other beliefs.

Druke
October 23rd, 2007, 04:58 AM
Wow the wallpapers are very cool! I'm not a muslim myself but wow! Also nice color scheme, make me want to pick up my Arabic (language) studies again.

ChrisNiemy
May 18th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Technically and from the artwork this meta-derivate is well done. But personally I wouldn't associate an OS with religion or faith. Like a form of government should just work and not be some kind of lifestyle or based on ideology. Therefore there are values like moral, faith, humanism (or not), which one can adopt on top of it.

OK, but like ubuntu CE, ubuntu ME is a good way to conclude these tools available for studying the Bible or Qur'an or to make people notice these tools are available and have them packed together in a look&feel artwork.

Second thought, I would say, that ubuntu ME is quite near (from the name) to be an oxymoron. I mean, if you really would _read_ the Qur'an (having a correct translation) it's a bit "funny" though.

p_quarles
May 19th, 2008, 01:11 AM
I'm closing this thread on a temporary basis, since it seems to be drawing a lot of questions about why it exists from people who don't and wouldn't use it. Aside from that, it has been a while since anyone working on developing or using this edition has posted here.

If someone wishes to post here (and is not going to post trollish remarks about why Ubuntu ME does or should exist), please hit the "Report" button and ask a staff member to re-open it.