PDA

View Full Version : The Sexy Ubuntu Trailer

Nailz71
March 5th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Is there an eye popping official trailer for Ubuntu? If not why not? If there is where can I find it?

Every new game/movie/whatever seems to try to sell itself with a trailer, Ubuntu is amazing we should be showing off, there are loads of vidoes about Ubuntu I know but nothing thats like a trailer that I've seen.

Maybe we could have a competition or something?

Any thoughts?

:popcorn:

peabody
March 5th, 2007, 11:42 PM
I'd prefer not to see Ubuntu stoop to the "sex sells" mantra of advertising. However, I'm not against a post modern flashy ad, like the IBM linux kid.

A take on the Mac Switch commercials might be an interesting angle.

Brunellus
March 5th, 2007, 11:43 PM
Is there an eye popping official trailer for Ubuntu? If not why not? If there is where can I find it?

Every new game/movie/whatever seems to try to sell itself with a trailer, Ubuntu is amazing we should be showing off, there are loads of vidoes about Ubuntu I know but nothing thats like a trailer that I've seen.

Maybe we could have a competition or something?

Any thoughts?

:popcorn:
Just as long as there's no beryl in it.

Rodneyck
March 5th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Just as long as there's no beryl in it.

Yeah, would not want to make the mistake of making a visually uninteresting distribution look better, oh no.

floke
March 5th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Now that WOULD be a mistake.
What we need is lots of CLI.
Howabout an ad based on editing an xorg.conf file?
Or compiling something from source code?

I can hear the hoardes making the switch even as we speak.

Brunellus
March 5th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Yeah, would not want to make the mistake of making a visually uninteresting distribution look better, oh no.
Say this with me now: Beryl is Beta software (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=349732). It is not stable. It will break. It is consequently not installed by default and not officially supported. Your Beryl will break, and you may be forced to live with the console.

OS nerds--the kings of self-denial in the service of desktop bling--don't care about this. They want the shiny, no matter what the cost.

But new users who don't know that their NIFTY.EXE files don't work in Linux should NOT be encouraged to install Beryl on Ubuntu.

floke
March 5th, 2007, 11:56 PM
Well the thread's about a hypothetical ad that will never be made, so we don't have to worry about anything breaking, do we?

Besides, Vista's still a beta release, remember :) ?

FuturePilot
March 6th, 2007, 01:06 AM
Say this with me now: Beryl is Beta software (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=349732). It is not stable. It will break. It is consequently not installed by default and not officially supported. Your Beryl will break, and you may be forced to live with the console.

OS nerds--the kings of self-denial in the service of desktop bling--don't care about this. They want the shiny, no matter what the cost.

But new users who don't know that their NIFTY.EXE files don't work in Linux should NOT be encouraged to install Beryl on Ubuntu.
Well that's interesting. I've been running Beryl for months now and nothing has ever broken or crashed on me. My laptop is another story because it's got crappy hardware.

timjayko
March 6th, 2007, 01:14 AM
in your home directory there is a folder called examples and a cool video called experience ubuntu with nelson mandela promoting it.. thats kind of a trailor

Rodneyck
March 6th, 2007, 01:20 AM
Well that's interesting. I've been running Beryl for months now and nothing has ever broken or crashed on me. My laptop is another story because it's got crappy hardware.

Same here and countless others across the linux world. What's the first thing most users do besides download all the codecs and flash plugins? Install beryl or compiz. It's usually only the ones that don't have enough processor speed or a good enough graphics card that complain about Beryl.

madcow72
March 6th, 2007, 01:25 AM
I like the idea, Nailz71! Videos speak louder than nerds, and nerds have youtube on their side!

I have to agree with Brunellus on one account: yes, beryl is definitely still beta software, and it will break a lot of machines. However, it's getting a LOT more stable as the days wear on and there is no doubt that sexy sells.

My opinion is that beryl will sell people on linux, esp Ubuntu Linux, but likely the only people that would switch over will be those who are not afraid to wipe their hard drive and do reinstalls in the first place, ie. people who are at least a little computer savvy. All these people will then install Ubuntu, jump straight to beryl, and break their computers. If they want beryl working, they're probably going to have to learn a thing or two about how their computer works - and we could use more people in this world who know how to use their computers. Also, we should ask how long after seeing an ad would someone actually make the switch, vs. how fast is beryl becoming stable?

I may be wrong on this, but I just upgraded to Feisty and noticed that System->Preferences->Desktop Effects brings up Compiz wobbly windows and 3D Cube. Is compiz going to be included with Feisty by default?

banjobacon
March 6th, 2007, 07:13 AM
What's the first thing most users do besides download all the codecs and flash plugins? Install beryl or compiz.

That's what most users posting in the beryl or compiz threads are doing.

johnwlittle
March 6th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Wading through Beryl vids on YouTube is driving me crazy but ultimately it's a good development because they create a huge amount of interest in Ubuntu and Linux in general. They also keep driving the traffic levels at Ubuntu Video (http://www.ubuntuvideo.com) higher each month.

But please feel free to create Ubuntu videos that aren't focused just on the eyecandy. I need as much content as I can get.

steven8
March 6th, 2007, 09:20 AM
In the spirit of Spinal Tap, let's do a 'Sexist' ad. :)

floke
March 6th, 2007, 09:38 AM
I've got it,

'Ubuntu: It's Not for Birds'!

(except Beryl of course)

TheIdiotThatIsMe
March 6th, 2007, 09:48 AM
I've been looking for something like this for a while to use and share. I would love a trailor / commercial, but I would rather have something original than a parody of Mac / PC commercials. I liked the IBM Linux (with the kid) commercials because they were different.

Let's create something that *really* makes them say... Wow....