PDA

View Full Version : 30 Days with Ubuntu (article)

floke
March 5th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Link to an article I came across on Slashdot.

Interesting to see the process at work, although the end result is nothing really we don't already know (problems with printers etc.). Still, at least he kept it as his main OS.

http://consumer.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTI5OCwxLCxoY29uc3VtZXI=

Engnome
March 5th, 2007, 11:41 PM
It's a good review, shows the strong sides and bad sides with Linux. Although he focuses alot on the problems he had. (of which 50% could easily be avoided by not using 64bit Linux, if there is a reason to use 64bit I'm not aware of it (don't say performance, at least not for the average desktop user does it matter))

I'm glad he kept it at the end even though he had so many problems with it. He didn't take up the whole thing about Libre software though, strange. I wonder if it made any difference to him...

"I came for the quality. I stayed for the freedom"
-Nice quote IMHO, dunno who said it.

floke
March 5th, 2007, 11:51 PM
He says at the beginning that the 64bit was to enable a direct comparison with Vista and OSX.
Also didn't mention using tty to restart gdm with the gnome panel bug (which I've never come across).

But overall I think we came off quite well.

roderikk
March 6th, 2007, 12:16 AM
Beryl didn't run particularly slow on Whakataruna, but there was an increased load on the system - one that showed up on my system monitor. This led to some display jitter if I had, say, a movie playing on one screen and a game on another, and I'm rotating the cube as fast as I can while having snow fall. It's slight, but it was surely noticeable. On Pugetina, doing the same thing doesn't even register on the load meter and it took three movies playing simultaneously on a rotating cube to get it to start bogging down. (Yes, movies still play when you're rotating the cube.)

That's true multitasking ;-)

I really think we got some new people after this review. Anyway, this weekend I will help someone make the switch again after they had to 'install antivirus' on their WinXP machine... as he is already using Thunderbird and firefox I guess the switch will be quite painless... ;-)

Oki
March 6th, 2007, 12:37 AM
I saw the same article on Digg, and read most of it. I have seen a Linux 32 vs. 64 before, and they concluded that the different was less, but more applications can run on 32.

The big question is; are the Windows 64 much better then 32? I think I remember reading that the answer was "no".

And I dont understand the complain about Kino? While you only have Windows Movie maker as a """free""" option under Windows - you have a lot more with Ubuntu, witch I believe are much better then both.

But there is one very positive thing with this article; both negative and positive are pointed out - and I guess this will get more attention compared to those "Linux are so good, Gimp are just as good as PS" and so on.

Nikron
March 6th, 2007, 01:14 AM
Inline with every review I've read about Ubuntu... However, Photoshop CS2 does work with Ubuntu through some hacks...

Mr. Picklesworth
March 6th, 2007, 02:02 AM
It's interesting to see him encountering that old bug with crashing gnome-panel during updates.
Considering that is the first bad point he mentions, I think it's about time folks really focused on it. I realize it's a crazily convoluted crash (and from my feeble viewpoint here I can see no connection between the panel and the updater), but it needs some love!

Anyhow, really good review :)
I'm surprised he had to restart the computer when it locked up that first time. In my findings, Ctrl+Alt+Backspace solves practically everything!

Was anybody else recoiling in fear when he had that huge list of programs to install? I was Really relieved when it actually worked!

I did not know that Linux had superior resource allocation... I'm intrigued; where can I learn more about that?

It's too bad he didn't compare Wine and Cedega - or at least try Wine - for running Windows games. For one thing, the review sticks to free software except for that one part, which is pretty silly, and I, for one, have seen that the programs which Wine supports (though apparently fewer) tend to run pretty decently not least thanks to WineHQ's Application Database. In fact, I have Worms running right now...
It's also too bad he didn't try Epiphany! (Actually, it's just too bad Epiphany isn't the default, but I won't get into that. It's compiled with a dependency on Firefox right now anyway, so not much point I guess).

It is really nice to see a lot of his problems being fixed in Feisty. OpenGL runs a lot better now, performance is up (ancient Celery 500 mHz with tiny RAM and i810 integrated graphics, sort of running Compiz - at least, enough that I can say "It runs!" - and playing large size videos that it could hardly open back with Windows... and I can play Worms!), and NetworkManager is actually not driving me crazy aside from its continuing lack of static IPs per network.

As for not supporting applications that run fine in Windows, I for one have never seen a problem.
Does anyone expect the clutch from their Ford Focus to work in their VW Jetta? I hope not!
What about NeoOffice? It is built for Mac OS, and it doesn't run in Windows. Is it Windows' fault?

FuturePilot
March 6th, 2007, 02:52 AM
Interesting that he went with Edgy and that PS2 keyboard he was using. There's a know issue with Edgy and PS2 keyboards. It's on Launchpad. They simply don't work. But they work with Dapper. Good article though.

leucippus
April 12th, 2007, 02:20 PM
This link may have already been posted, but if you haven't read it, check it out.

http://digg.com/linux_unix/30_Days_with_Ubuntu_Linux

(Hit the link "30 Days with Linux")

quote:"I'm certainly going to put a Windows XP partition on Whakataruna for the near future - but I've decided to keep the bulk of my hard drive - and most of my day-to-day operations, in Linux. XP is going to be my OS for gaming, audio loop editing, and Photoshop, but for everything else, Linux has transformed into an attractive, utility-driven, customizable, and generally easy-to-use interface that takes all of the virtues and none of the faults from the other major OSes and gives it to the consumer for free."

aysiu
April 12th, 2007, 05:14 PM
I merged your thread with the other one about the same article.

leucippus
April 13th, 2007, 09:57 AM
I merged your thread with the other one about the same article.

That's cool...sorry, i didn't know if this had been posted or not. cheers