PDA

View Full Version : should I get a refundfor my TV tuner or keep trying the RMA process..?

billdotson
March 5th, 2007, 09:43 PM
I ordered a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150 for use with Windows and Ubuntu but I received an HVR-1600 in the WinTV-PVR-150 box as many other people have. I got an RMA# and sent off for a replacement and today it came in the mail. Guess what?? The same thing happened.. after 2 weeks of waiting for a replacement I received another HVR-1600 in a WinTV-PVR-150 box.

As my only real reason for getting the TV tuner is to record TV shows I was wondering if I should just get a refund for it. I have a DVD player/recorder upstairs hooked up to the TV and I can schedule things to record to a DVD with that device. In Ubuntu with Avidemux, acidrip (frontend to mencoder) and vobcopy I can rip the video files off of the DVD that the shows are recorded on, import them into Avidemux, cut the commercials out and then output them to a smaller video file such as an xVid video with an .avi or mpeg4 container. The only real downside to this it seems is that a DVD has a limited storage capacity and if there were many shows consecutively that I wanted to record (such as the Christmas 007 marathon) it would be harder to get them recorded. I would have to set the scheduler up and then as soon as the movie ended I would have to pop in another DVD+-RW before the next one came on.

What do you think? Should I get a refund for my WinTV-PVR-150 (which is really the HVR-1600 that doesn't work in Linux) or just I just keep dealing with the manufacturer and newegg and trying to get a PVR-150 instead of a HVR-1600? That TV tuner was about $90 so if I can record my shows with a DVD recorder and do my editing through avidemux that would save me $90.