PDA

View Full Version : Would this be a better motherboard than my current one?

billdotson
March 5th, 2007, 08:40 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128012

I currently have an Asus P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP motherboard socket LGA775:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131028

and it just recently started acting faulty. Would the Gigabyte board be a better motherboard for my configuration? The Gigabyte board does not support RAM over 1.8V initially so you have to use 1.8V RAM to boot the system up and then change the voltages on the RAM so that you can use RAM w/ over 1.8V. I have an Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 gigs of Corsair XMS2 DDR2 PC6400C4 800Mhz RAM that runs at 2.1V, an nVidia 7800GT 256MB PCI Express x16, a creative soundblaster audigy 4 soundcard (non-pro, PCI) and a WinTV-HVR-1600 TV tuner (PCI) I am not going to be overclocking anything anytime soon as my system runs fine as it is. I only have one IDE device that being one of my DVD burners, and since I have a soundcard I don't care how crappy the onboard sound is. Also my Asus board is laid out poorly and when there is a videocard in the PCI Express x16 slot you cannot use one of the normal PCI slots as the videocard is over that slot.

Would the Gigabyte board be better than my current Asus P5B Deluxe board? I am just asking because if I get my motherboard back defective through this replacement process I will be demanding a refund. Dangit I spent so much more money on the Asus board and half of it's features are worthless.. but when I built my machine there weren't many good Core 2 Duo motherboards so I didn't have much to choose from. I wish I could just ask for a refund and buy another board.. it would save me about $110.. :(

mips
March 5th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Well on pure spec the asus wins, I has more connectivity options like firewire for example.

Gigabyte boards are very good and is all i use (cannot afford/find Tyan here).

The chioce is yours at the end of the day. Spec wise they are very similair but the Asus does offer more connectivity. You could probably find a compareable spec gigabyte if you looked.