PDA

View Full Version : Interesting thoughts on naming computers

Jad
May 28th, 2005, 10:17 AM
yesterday one of the coolest Jolug.org members Zu3bi started new thread asking weird question, actually it was 2.00 AM Jordan time, and I was so damn sleeply, so I didn't pay attention, and I said, ah what he's thinking of ....
Zu3bi Question
We usually refer to a computer as a 'it' because it is a thing... but at times a person can really get emotional with a computer ( not sexually ofcourse), therefore would you refer to a computer as a he or a she ? and why ?

but then at morning , well your morning but mine (12:00 pm) Khames Siksik replied with his thoughts

Khames Thoughts on naming computers

Well, this is an interesting thought, My machine(s) is a HE and a SHE depending on the situation, when my code doesn't run as expected, i prefer to fight with a big strong man so it is a HE and i can call him all the known/unknown bad words in the world and i may slap him on the face (side of the monitor), bunch him on the stomach(floppy drive), or even kick his ass (the ethernet card), When it works fine and gives me (this is a restricted condition as in if-and-only-if) what i wanted and expected it becomes a SHE and the relationship between us becomes so *HOT*. :-) (I will leave this for your imagination) Regards,

Its worthy to give it a while and think about it so here is my thoughts

Jad thoughts

for me I deal with the situation depending on the Operating system i'm running,
if its windows so i'm dealing with my old lazy wife who want everything to be done in her style which is UGLY, so restricted, and buggy
while when I'm dealing with linux, my imagination goes to a young women that understand the life correctly, she know how things should work, and she can offer all of her time to get the job done

What about yours? (http://www.easyhttp.com/jad/2005/05/thoughts-interesting-thought.html)

CospeFogo
May 28th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Well, if the ethernet card is the ass, and he says sometimes the relationship gets hot...

Jad
May 28th, 2005, 12:15 PM
hah nice thoughts Cospo

Lovechild
May 28th, 2005, 12:37 PM
I always name my computers after something in the X-Files, my current desktop is "Mulder", I retired the laptop which was "Majestic-12". If as suspected my next machine will be a Mac Mini, that will become "Scully" since it's damn sexy.

So I think my computers are really gender neutral, I do sweet talk them sometimes though - mostly when I really want it to turn on. (man that sounded dirty)

fng
May 28th, 2005, 03:01 PM
All southpark chars here
router : kenny
desktop : butters
mom's pc : token
server : chef
powerbook : timmy

Lovechild
May 28th, 2005, 03:02 PM
All southpark chars here
router : kenny
desktop : butters
mom's pc : token
server : chef
powerbook : timmy

I take it your router dies on a daily basis?

Jad
May 28th, 2005, 03:05 PM
heh
what if your server came up with weird recipe? not to mention crappy

fng
May 28th, 2005, 03:08 PM
I take it your router dies on a daily basis?

hehe :)

I just liked that name for the least powerfull cpu. (kenny being pore etc.)
It's running m0n0wall (based on freebsd) and is pretty stable.

bored2k
May 28th, 2005, 03:10 PM
My box is called noir as in black in french :-). Well... my DVD-RW(DL) is white so I guess It's a dalmation..

WildTangent
May 28th, 2005, 06:41 PM
i name my computers after monsters and mythical creatures. my windows desktop is The Beast, my test machine is Frankenstein, and my primary Ubuntu desktop is The Siren my next computer will probably be The Basilisk. other possible names would be Chimera, Wyvern, and Manticore

-Wild

benplaut
May 28th, 2005, 06:47 PM
i name my computers after monsters and mythical creatures. my windows desktop is The Beast, my test machine is Frankenstein, and my primary Ubuntu desktop is The Siren my next computer will probably be The Basilisk

-Wild

my 11 year old Thinkpad 701C is the Beast! (but it's really tiny :roll: )

my router is a bad boy (decides to sometimes just, for no reason, turn off WPA-PSK)

the family desktop is... the troublemaker (yup... Win XP Home)

my computer is... my pride and joy!

Jad
May 28th, 2005, 07:13 PM
hey benpla
you're watching their attitudes hehe

23meg
May 28th, 2005, 07:30 PM
even though i have formed emotional connections with some of my computers over the years, i've for some reason never felt a need to call them names. my laptop's current network name is "laptop-ubuntu" :)

kassetra
May 28th, 2005, 08:16 PM
Well, my previous router had the initials, "GDPOS" ... uhhh, you can imagine what that means.... This router is "Ronin"

My main ubuntu box has been Geisha for a looooong time now (Previously it was "Pookie" )
My vmware (XP) box is Maiko
My test ubuntu box is Geiko
My previous mp3 player was Sakuya, my new one is Sakura
My little tablet/pda is Hanami

I typically feel that if the contents of my "home" directory don't change, then renaming the box is like renaming a boat... you just don't do it. heh. ;)

As far as gender goes... my main box was a HE for a looooong time (pookie) ... but then he had a sex change, so to speak, and became a SHE.... That change happened somewhere around RedHat 7 I think. :)

I'm tempted to give one of my boxes a REALLY long name, just for laughs, but I then recognize how dumb that would be before I do it. :)

Seth
May 28th, 2005, 08:22 PM
My desktop is blue, with cathodes and whatnot. It is called Erebus, or "dusk".
My laptop is silver. It is called Eos, "dawn".
My new desktop is looking like it will be matte black. Its name will be Nox, "night".

karmah
May 28th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Mmm...my comp is named Photon-Reside for no particular reason, I can't even remind naming it but its a cool name.....I come up with weird things on late nights and then i barely remember it, that's annoying!

benplaut
May 29th, 2005, 03:12 AM
Well, my previous router had the initials, "GDPOS" ... uhhh, you can imagine what that means.... This router is "Ronin"

My main ubuntu box has been Geisha for a looooong time now (Previously it was "Pookie" )

I typically feel that if the contents of my "home" directory don't change, then renaming the box is like renaming a boat... you just don't do it. heh. ;)

As far as gender goes... my main box was a HE for a looooong time (pookie) ... but then he had a sex change, so to speak, and became a SHE.... That change happened somewhere around RedHat 7 I think. :)

I'm tempted to give one of my boxes a REALLY long name, just for laughs, but I then recognize how dumb that would be before I do it. :)

<ot>what type is Hanami?</ot>

so... i assume you like anime :roll:

kassetra
May 29th, 2005, 03:19 AM
<ot>what type is Hanami?</ot>

so... i assume you like anime :roll:

Hanami is a Zaurus... but I'm liking the the new Nokia...

I like Anime, but that's not where the names came from. LOL :)

TravisNewman
May 29th, 2005, 03:21 AM
I only name things when they need names-- hostnames, etc. I don't name things that don't need them, like mp3 players, etc.

But my main PC is Eniac
My iMac is Univac
My fiancee's computer is Abacus, because it's so crappy she might as well use an abacus.

tread
May 29th, 2005, 03:27 AM
For a long time my machine at work was sirius - thats the brightest star in the sky. wishful thinking you might say :D.

After I got a new machine, I called it Morpork - thats the disreputable part of Ankh-Morpork (the biggest city on the Discworld .. a smashing series by Terry Pratchett).

And now my laptop is called Beelzebub.

Hmm .. my machine names are a timeline of my life ;)

Kyral
May 29th, 2005, 04:56 AM
I enjoy making up really long/wierd/wacked out names for my computer. Hence this one is called "InsaneDestinyFreedomAndDarkness"

bored2k
May 29th, 2005, 04:59 AM
I just bought two computers. They are identical so I'm calling them Luke and Leia. My old one is staying noir (not vader) because I like it :D/

NeoChaosX
May 29th, 2005, 05:14 AM
I'm a shameless Skies of Arcadia fanboy, so I named my laptop "Fina", the name of my favorite character from the game. Also, when I got my external hard drive, I named it "Cupil" (who's my avatar, btw), after Fina's pet, since it's always with my laptop at all times. :razz:

WildTangent
May 29th, 2005, 05:32 AM
I just bought two computers. They are identical so I'm calling them Luke and Leia. My old one is staying noir (not vader) because I like it :D/
just wondering, why did you buy 2 new identical computers?

-Wild

Optimal Aurora
May 29th, 2005, 05:53 AM
Me its always something I am interested in when I get them... Like my first one was called ZERO after Gundam Wing Zero...

bored2k
May 29th, 2005, 05:59 AM
just wondering, why did you buy 2 new identical computers?

-Wild
One for my dad, the other for my mom. And still I would have bought them the same, I like uniformity.

der_joachim
May 29th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Heh. My computer is called Eisenmann, which is German for Ironman. It was originally a nickname I used in a LAN party. Two days later my computer died and I built my current one.

The nickname stems from the fact that in that very same weekend, I ran a cross-country 1/2 marathon. It was a very busy weekend that. :)

The story implies that I would consider my computer being male. Otherwise it would be called Eisenfrau, wouldn't it? ;)

benplaut
May 29th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Hanami is a Zaurus... but I'm liking the the new Nokia...

I like Anime, but that's not where the names came from. LOL :)

thought so :)

getting a C1000 in a week or two :twisted: , what's yours?

ChinaCatJones
May 29th, 2005, 09:31 AM
I am getting a few chuckles out of this thread. Back when I was setting up test lab environments I liked to use themes for the box names.

I have used Grateful Dead themes with jerry, bobby, phil, POS laptop donna-jean, etc.

One of my favorite naming schemes was back in college with an Apple LocalTalk network and naming all of the machines after apples like gravenstein, red-delicious, gala, etc.

Chris

word_virus
May 29th, 2005, 09:44 AM
I named my first linux box 'baga' because it made me smile at the bash prompt:

root@baga

A member of the turnip family....

benplaut
May 29th, 2005, 10:28 AM

root@baga

good idea! i'm going to do that some time \\:D/

TravisNewman
May 29th, 2005, 04:14 PM

root@baga

*LOL* That's genius at work!

WildTangent
May 29th, 2005, 04:25 PM

root@baga

LMAO nice! best name ever

-Wild

Jad
May 29th, 2005, 05:27 PM
I have
jad@madi

Mez
May 31st, 2005, 07:45 PM
Main Desktop: apathy
Server: lethargy
Laptop; langour
Router: torpor

Next PC (when I get it): phlegm

There is a pattern ;)

Not to sure whether "phlegm" is a good name for a PC though... maybe stoicism

garnertr
May 31st, 2005, 07:52 PM
My laptop is called Tardis (I'm a dweeb and a big Doctor Who Fan), my laptop is very tempermental and can go through its own processes w/out any regard to what I WANT it to do.

I'm pretty gender neutral on TARDIS, I tend to refer it only by Tardis, I don't call it her or him but when it isn't working right.......

[-X

cdk
June 25th, 2005, 05:05 AM
my rig is def a female. though her name has no conection to a girl my computer names in fact are pretty boring. i thought about making up some cool names but i was to lazy.

internet server = CDK-GATE
file server = CDK-STORAGE
workstation = CDK-WORKSTATION
test machine = CDK-TEST
laptop = CDK-RAIDER (i am a big war driving fan)
PDA = CDK-SCANNER

and you get teh idea. i suppose im sort of a collector. i have 17 computers in my house but i would say 4 of them are faster then 1ghz. The others are just misfits and museum artifacts. Makes for hot summers when they are all running! lol

cheers,

The Gray Hat
June 25th, 2005, 07:02 AM
Meet my iBook. It's name is Donut! I however have not picked a sex, it just never seemed to swing one way or the other for me, but I do name all my computers.

kassetra
June 25th, 2005, 07:32 AM

There have been some changes in the family...
Some sad, some not so sad.

Hanami has kicked the bucket... er well, at least fallen down four flights of stairs...
Sakura had to be returned...
Geisha and Geiko have merged in a single power spike craptacular event, so they have been renamed "bonedup" and "hosed" ("bonedup" for the actual computer name, and "hosed" for the mounted ex-Geisha file system...)
Maiko was trashed in the process of Geisha becoming hosed.
so the bad news is all out of the way... now for some good news :)

Geisha has been reborn into GeishaX... a fine, fine machine... drool worthy.
Maiko will have to be reinstated on to GeishaX, but since GeishaX is such a hot machine now, she'll probably become MaikoX... but it's vmware, so I care... yeah, not so much. heh.
Sakura has now completely taken over for Sakuya and Hanami both... (Gotta love mp3 players that also have calendars, reminders, notes, etc.) ...
Geiko has been re-envisioned as a more portable version of her previous self... and now comes along with Sakura every where I go. (GeikoX? or maybe iGeiko... but then I would also need to have iSakura... and that's just dumb... heh.).
So ... while the the timing could have been better during the transition, the new hardware makes it all worth it...

N'Jal
June 26th, 2005, 01:10 AM
My computers have alway's been SHE's, and they have always followed the same naming convention. If this rings a bell Quantum Leap, Ziggy after the AI with a massive ego, it's current incarnation is Ziggy II, soon to be Ziggy mk III.

To me there's a difference between not doing something and trying but failing, my computer most of the time try's but bless her cotton socks sometimes she fails. It can't be helped, i hear her little hard drive going at 7200 RPM (Or it had better be else i was ripped off), the CD-ROM drives going then she just locks up. Poor Zig, ah well on the 4th july i will be picking up a PC from Scotland and rebuilding Ziggy II as Ziggy MK III

primeirocrime
June 26th, 2005, 02:13 AM
my PC is mongrel because of the constant mixing

router is unnamed

and the other one is a ronin.
telephone is tank

qalimas
June 26th, 2005, 02:55 AM
My computer is a she... she never gives me any real trouble, and I always forgive her :P

Windows boxes are always men, they are all just as hard headed as me XD

I generally just name a computer after a customer, or in my house our computers are respectively named after the owner, to keep network name confusion to a minimal.

darkoptix
June 26th, 2005, 03:36 AM
I've been naming my computers by the angels that appeared in neon genesis evangelion...
Main Comp: Adam
Family Comp: Lilith
Router: Sachiel
POS Comp: Shamshel
Xbox: Penguin ... lol.

Ether
June 26th, 2005, 08:48 AM
yeah i tend to keep to simple owner-names myself.
however i have my own naming structure that tends to go for standard characteristics of the computer.

My Laptop - Red, Nice Newish Windows XP/Ubuntu P4. I'm used to only really having one computer so when i first got this one i named them after their main desktop colour schemes, and they have kinda stuck. a she, she tends to be an extension of my own character.

Mp3 Player - Mpod or Blacklight, its an Medion mp3 Jukebox that like a Ipod crossed with a Iriver, a very cool and handy machine that works as an external harddrive so it loves linux.

---At my Dads House -----

My PC - Grey, Older p2 333, 98 system and not quite as brash, hes very single minded and hates anyone that isn't me using him - i lent him to my boyfriend while i was in Melbourne because his PC crashed and Grey created about a million errors that disappeared whenever i used him. will soon become a Linux Test Box

Dads Laptop - Pain or Harvey Bastard, old win 98 laptop. named after the wonderful (irony) consumer electronics store he bought it from, well known for their ability to rip people like my dad off with crappy overpriced computers that will only work for a week. i try to avoid this thing.

Dads Computer - Newbie. Dads new (secondhand) computer, like all of the ones he's bought they tend to have sever emotional problems, he tends to go out and by them then tell me later when he can't deal with them anymore. i try to avoid his damn systems. this one a characterise as a dumb blond, it came with XP and caught the blaster virus because it was an illegal copy.

Dads old computer - Dalek. dads old computer a p2 bought in '99. the bane of my life.

Stepmothers Computer - Other, I'm not sure if we even still have this one. i'm sure Ive seen it around, its old but you can type and play mahjong on it.

---At my Mums House----

Brothers Computer - Crash!, the name given to a long series of hot wired, modern, flashy and incredibly unstable PCs that died due to my brothers magical ability to crash any computer he ever owned.

Mums Computer - Brick, used to be mine a long time ago it was a really nice stable win 95 computer when i had it with a cool voodoo 2 from its time as a Crash, i used it for about 5 years. now its a slow chucked up windows 98 computer. however i'm hoping to clean it up and put ubuntu on it during the holidays.

Sisters Computer - Dust, an ex-Crash that has been passed on as too-old for my brother. badly maintained and tends to be slightly unreliable.
will be another of my projects for the holidays.

------

Sigh... my dads still trying to get me to put a wireless network between Newbie, Harvey Bastard, Red, Grey and Dalek
you can bet thats going to be a lot of fun.

andlinux21
June 26th, 2005, 11:04 AM
I name most of my PCs (Desktops, laptops) after DBZ characters or Peanut characters my nephew likes em so it helps him when it comes time to do computer work.

cyanideoverdose
June 26th, 2005, 08:49 PM
My main comp is "BIGBLUE" cause its big and uh.. blue.. and it has a blue neon light.
My wifeys laptop is named ddgoddess.. .. don't ask I have no idea why..
and then my testing system is named ... "that computer over there"... or "GrandPa"

Kvark
June 26th, 2005, 11:58 PM
My computers usually get names ending with can "the Gamecan, the Experimentcan, the Schoolcan and the Foolcan" well, the names sound better in Swedish.

The foolcan was because that computer refused to accept any other name then FOO.telia,com. Even though it's real network address was [random letters].comhem.se and it had nothing to do with telia whatsoever. The other names speak for themselves.

He, she or it... This is a great flaw that most languages suffer from, there is no gender neutral word for a person. If there was then I would use that word for the computers, for people I meet online and when reffering to anyone regardless of gender. It is amazing no such word exists considering situations like "What if someone does try it? Then (he or she???) will be in serious pain." are very common. ...I just try to avoid using the words he, she and it unless it is obvious which one is correct in the given situation.

TanKilleR
June 27th, 2005, 12:14 AM
The only time I call my pc by its name is when I am working in windows and am praying to god it dont crash on me and I lose all my files.
"Come on baby, whos your daddy, yes, thats right, me, I love, you I do, dont freeze on me....damn it..you $@!%#"

As for identification names:
My main pc, I use the most: Windows- TankBot
My other desktop, that use to test things on:Linux-Server
My pocketpc:Windows Moble 2005-Brendens PPC

underpope
June 30th, 2005, 01:57 AM
My computers are either named after Lovecraftian monsters (Yog-Sothoth, Cthulhu, Nyarlathotep) or characters in the Harry Potter novels (Hermione, Hagrid, Dumbledore) depending on whether the primary user is me or my wife.

tkiesel
June 30th, 2005, 04:43 AM
My computer is named Gecko. Long but inconsequential story.

My wife's is named Pookie. Just a few hours ago (with a successful test of Photoshop in VMware) it converted to an Ubuntu box full time. Woo!

When I was in the Physics department at Purdue (http://www.physics.purdue.edu/), the machines at the Mac lab were named after the elements. Sweeeet sweet machines. Wow, look. I can ping them!

psoleko
June 30th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Currently all my equipment is named with a greatest generals theme.
PC1- Alexander the great
pc2 - Scipio Africanus
router - Hannibal
server - Julius Caesar

meh I am partial to Greek/Roman strategy and tactics.
Although I have had previous naming themes such as Star Wars, Tolkien, Greek Mythological Deities, etc..

Krank
June 30th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Currently, I name my computers depending on how they seem to work. I usually use a single word, signifying a state of being.

Current:

Elegance (Ubuntu-based server - used to be "Arrogance", Win2k server)
Delight (portable, dual-booting winXPpro/Ubuntu)
Frustration (main comp, dualbooting WinXPpro/Ubuntu)

And, recently deceased after 10 years of faithful work:
Damnation (old-as-heck. 486 DX2/66)

polycarbonate1
June 7th, 2008, 06:02 AM
I'm new to Ubuntu.

My iBook G4 is "LAURA". Originally (in reverse): Automated Response Unit Apple Laptop. I dropped the project a long time ago, but the name remains. She definitely has both gender and personality.
My phone is a Sony Ericsson K800i - "Erica Iris Kay". It has personality, but not gender.

-- PC1

ChaosCon
June 11th, 2008, 04:04 PM
My MacBook Pro is named Mainframe - the home of many a resilient sprite in my all time FAVORITE tv show ReBoot =D

The Ubuntu computers I work on at the local university are all named after Greek Gods - my current one is Chaos

KingTermite
June 11th, 2008, 04:09 PM
I'm "kingtermite" everywhere I go. My computer/router names ususally are that or some sort of variation of that.

router: KTNET
ubuntu boot: ktub
xp boot: ktlappy

I remember years ago...first "windows" computer I got, I named "KIA" for "know it all" as I would be able to access the internet from home for the first time. Before that my DOS computers had modems, but the best I could do was log in to the school's Unix computer and telnet to places or maybe use lynx (text browser).

Martym
August 2nd, 2008, 10:16 PM
For a long time my machine at work was sirius - thats the brightest star in the sky. wishful thinking you might say :D.

After I got a new machine, I called it Morpork - thats the disreputable part of Ankh-Morpork (the biggest city on the Discworld .. a smashing series by Terry Pratchett).

And now my laptop is called Beelzebub.

Hmm .. my machine names are a timeline of my life ;)

Hah! My windows box, a big brute of a machine full tower, lots of drives etc etc is called Ankh-Morpork. Love Pterry's books named all my machines after the cites around the Circle Sea.

K.Mandla
August 2nd, 2008, 10:47 PM
Closed for necromancy, twice over.