PDA

View Full Version : Gnome WLM client

timmeeej
March 5th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Hi there. I've noticed that every time I show Ubuntu to any of my average-computer-user-friends that they are really very impressed by the way Ubuntu looks, especially with Beryl effects. They really like the way you can install software and how well the software works. So I give them one of the Dapper LTS free cds i've ordered from Shipit.

Every single one of my friends says they've gone back to Windows because of MSN messenger. Msn is a really big thing in the Netherlands, almost everyone uses it and uses it's new features, like webcam, "listening to: " and custom emoticons. I've tried many instant messaging clients and none of them can do everything the official WLM can do.

AMSN:
Has got webcam support, but the config screens are very ugly and messy. Not looking very Gnome-ish.

Mercury messenger:
Lots of features, but it uses java. Also not looking very gnome-ish.

Gaim:
No webcam support, no "listening to: ", no custom emoticons etc. Very well intergrated in Gnome desktop though.

Kopette:
I think this is the best instant messaging client there is. It's KDE though, and not very n00b-friendly. It doesn't support custom emoticons. It doesn't support sound clips. It's "listening to: " feature only supports KDE media players.

So, why doesn't anyone make a good looking, easy to use, full featured msn client for the gnome desktop. I think it would really be used by lots of people.