PDA

View Full Version : dvd ripping advice

tacm
March 4th, 2007, 11:24 PM
I want to say first that I am in no way trying to violate any laws. My question-problem is this. I have bought my favorite television series on DVD. twice the first time I scratched disk2 of the set and another time disks 2 and 3. The most obvious response is too take better care of my DVDs, but chit happens. Does anyone have advice on what program to use to make copies of my commercial DVDs for private use so I can store the originals in a safe place? Can you copy movies and TV DVDs? If so what brand media would be good (I know when I use my DVD burrner in my tivo it takes more than one disk to copy a movie (I am assuming this has to do with compression) Sorry to babble, If anyone has advice id appreciate it. Thanx

laredo7mm
March 5th, 2007, 02:34 AM
Try k9copy. It is in the repos.

It is originally meant to shrink DVD9 to DVD5 size but I have used it in the past to make backups. I have never tried it in gnome (it is a KDE application), but it should work fine.

bytor4232
March 5th, 2007, 04:31 AM
I've been using mencoder to rip the DVD, and DeVeDe to create the DVD ISO. Of course I'm loosing the menus and whatnot that way.

laredo7mm
March 5th, 2007, 04:38 AM
And of course, how could I forget my favorite DVD burning program, K3b?

K3b is another KDE app that runs great under Gnome. It has a "Copy DVD" function.

C-A
March 5th, 2007, 05:28 AM
And of course, how could I forget my favorite DVD burning program, K3b?

K3b is another KDE app that runs great under Gnome. It has a "Copy DVD" function.

Does it compress it to fit a regular dvd like dvdshrink does?

tbroderick
March 5th, 2007, 06:16 AM

dvdshrink works in wine if you just want to use that.

mips
March 5th, 2007, 12:43 PM

Not that i'm aware of. See K9Copy.

PapaWiskas
March 5th, 2007, 06:08 PM
So are you guys saying that K9 and K3B can rip commercial "protected" such as ARCos Sony DVDs? Because that never worked for me.

To be honest, if you are trying to do what I think....just use RipIT4Me it works just fine in WINE, they made it so Linux users can use it now. Works great for those series disks you are talking about. You just have to have DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink installed.

And make sure you have the correct mfc42.dll (I think that is the name of it, Im not on my Ubuntu system right now to check) file in your windows system32 folder in wine.