PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Video Update

johnwlittle
March 4th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Stats
Since launching in the summer of 2006 Ubuntu Video (http://www.ubuntuvideo.com) has served up 455,000 page views to almost 80,000 unique IPs. Traffic is rising sharply so these figures may double in the next 3 months.

55% of the visitors use Windows or Mac (49% Windows 6% Mac). A whopping 67% use Firefox.

Top 10 Countries/Regions
United States
European Union
Germany
Canada
Austria
Australia
Spain
Great Britain
Netherlands
Slovenia

Videos
The number of Ubuntu related videos on portals such as YouTube, Google Video, and MetaCafe has exploded since shortly after Ubunu Video was launched. The only downside is that most of them are window manager (Beryl) demos. On the positive side the eye candy and gaming related videos get quite a bit of attention on gamer and PC enthusiast forums. If you're interested in producing a video of your own I could really use more of the following

1. Ubuntu users on camera - talking about why they use Ubuntu.
2. Ubuntu events - Video of any gathering from LoCo meetings to conventions
3. Commericals - Find a creative way to plug Ubuntu
4. Interviews - Open source evangelists, regular users, professors, etc
5. Tutorials

Anything different and creative will really stand out. Feel free to contact me if you have an idea you want to discuss.

Design & Content
New videos are usually added daily. I'd like to do a big push for the Fiesty release so make sure you capture video of release parties and other events if you can.

I recently added new sections that link to other sites featuring Ubuntu videos and screencasts as well as an educational section that links to lots of wikipedia entries on Ubuntu and open source related topics.

I've also updated the site to include a blogroll. If you have an Ubuntu (or mostly Ubuntu) related blog and would like to be included let me know.

A few more content additions are in the pipeline.

Buttons are available (http://www.ubuntuvideo.com/ubuntu_video_buttons) for those of you kind enough to share a link on your blogs and websites.

troymcdavis
March 4th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Fantastic site. Great layout and design (I suppose it was properly inspired!). This site is just a great idea!

The only thing I could think of that would make this better is if the site had a comment and rating system. That would just be wicked.

Keep up the good work!

johnwlittle
March 4th, 2007, 10:52 PM
The only thing I could think of that would make this better is if the site had a comment and rating system. That would just be wicked.

Yeah that's on my list. There are voting modules for Drupal but I don't know how well they work or will integrate with the site. I might be able to test some of them this afternoon.

Thanks for the feedback!