PDA

View Full Version : "python from kids" video tutorials on www.showmedo.com made with Ubuntu edgy

HorstJENS
March 4th, 2007, 05:26 PM
I already posted in the programmers forum but maybe here i can get more interest:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=375691

cowlip
March 4th, 2007, 07:37 PM
very nice, i hope this gets more attention!

(much better this than MS's "here's how to use .net" stuff)

HorstJENS
March 4th, 2007, 08:20 PM
thanks! if you like it, could you please leave a comment on the form below the video at showmedo.com ?
I will show the kids what community-feedback is all about :-)

maniacmusician
March 4th, 2007, 09:49 PM
thanks! if you like it, could you please leave a comment on the form below the video at showmedo.com ?
I will show the kids what community-feedback is all about :-)
I can't check right now as I'm completely out of time, but this is python tutorials on video? I don't know how effective that would be, but I'm definitely looking forward to taking a glance at it later. Bookmarked :)

cowlip
March 5th, 2007, 05:55 AM
I would love to do that, will definitely comment on them by tomorrow.

Kids today are so lucky. What I wouldn't have given to be able to learn Python or other x-platform coding at an earlier age...that's why I think the "One Laptop per Child" has such a great idea by building the whole interface on Python and then including a "view source" button.

Kudos to you and your kids!

HorstJENS
March 5th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Wow, thanks!
Yeah, imaging what a difference Python would have made if it would have been popular around the time we got our first Commodere 64... instead we got spoiled with Basic and OS from....Microsoft :-P

HorstJENS
March 5th, 2007, 07:57 AM
but this is python tutorials on video? I don't know how effective that would be, but I'm definitely looking forward to taking a glance at it later. Bookmarked :)
Yes it is about python. It is not effective in teaching you python in just 2 minutes , but i hope it is effective in raising your interest. Video 2 and 3 show a small area (using imported module Easygui, /using pydoc) but go "deep", while video 1 (showing RurPle) hopefully will make you feel "Let me try now...".
There are more Python learning videos over at www.showmedo.com, just browse around.
Generally i share your opinion that you can't learn a programming language from looking at videos alone, but i hope it is possible to get interested or introduced to new things.