PDA

View Full Version : Our Book is in "PreProduction"!!! Yay!!

saphil
March 4th, 2007, 12:21 PM
This means that the book that I have put the last year of my free time into has been completed and is being advertised by the publisher (Delmar Learning) on Amazon.

Why should you care? Many of the illustrations were done on one of the 2 Ubuntu boxes in my lab. I have used Releases from Hoary Hedgehog to Edgy Eft; blown all of them up a couple of times; and had a marvelous time doing it. I also used Win2K boxes, XP boxes Win2K3 and 1 lonely FC4 box. Throughout the writing of this book, I had to almost always keep my main machine running a stable version of Ubuntu, but as soon as I got the manuscript sent, I upgraded my main machine to Feisty. Now I feel better! It is nice to run a pre-alpha as my main machine again. :-)

This book was designed to make computer security understandable to people with some experience with computers and with Windows and Linux operating systems.

We called it "Computer Security and Penetration Testing" (A. Basta and W. Halton)
(Paperback - planned release date - May 15, 2007)

either follow this link to Amazon to see if I am justified in my belief in this book
http://www.amazon.com/Computer-Security-Penetration-Testing-Alfred/dp/1418048267/ref=sr_1_1/105-5914184-7394805?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1173005294&sr=8-1
or... go to amazon and search "Basta, Halton"

I am planning to have a release party (at least a virtual release party) on the date of release, at the Irish pub in downtown Conyers GA. Anyone with a receipt for the book can get in without paying the cover charge!

saphil
March 11th, 2007, 11:46 PM
.. of course anybody else can get in free, too. Don't be shy

Phatfiddler
March 12th, 2007, 06:37 AM
Looks interesting..I'll keep an eye open for the release.:popcorn:

saphil
October 2nd, 2007, 05:45 AM
I am ecstatic to announce...

The book came out on August 29th! Almost all of the Linux pieces were done originally on a variety of Ubuntu releases. Almost all of the screenshots, writing and diagrams were done on Open-Source software.

Please review it on Amazon.com. Read it first, and ask your libraries to get a copy or 2. :-)

-Wolf