PDA

View Full Version : Shafetech or System76

iMav
March 4th, 2007, 08:18 AM
I have recently been pondering the idea of purchasing a Darter 13.3" laptop from System76 (http://www.system76.com). Then I happened to stumble upon a few posts about ShafeTech (http://www.shafetech.com). They appear to have the exact same laptop as the Darter. And, when configured as I would like (max ram, 2.0Ghz C2D, 100GB hdd) is just over $200 cheaper.

My question is this. Is this a case of you get what you pay for? (i.e. better service/support from System76?) I am still leaning towards the Darter, considering their praise on these forums...but if there other opinions out there, I would be more than happy to hear them.

(I certainly don't want a System76<>shafetech flamewar. Just want an intelligent comparison between the two. As consumers (and potential new customers) of these companies, I think it is good for us to be as informed as possible.)

hardyn
March 4th, 2007, 09:23 AM
i am not intimately famillar with either company but the thing to look for is after the sale service, anybody can sell you anything but who wants to see you after that.

delivery - who will make you pay shipping.
hardware warranty - are you going to have pay shipping with either company?
compatiblity - what do each promise in out of the box software compatibility?
support - will either company help you with trouble, or just tell you check this forum?

200$ is like 10% of the sale price, 200% pays for its self pretty quickly if you have even one hardware problem with the machine.

i suspect the 200$ from sys76 is to cover thinks like hardware warranty shipping, but make sure you fully understand what you requirements as the buyer are, and the selling obligation to you.

good luck.

msabers
March 7th, 2007, 03:10 AM
Can't say anything about System76, but I can tell you about my experience with Shafetech. I received a newsletter from them which showed their new Phoenix computer, and I decided I had to have one. I went to their website, upgraded this and that, and added it to the cart. My system included a 250gb hard drive, 1gb memory, DVD burner, and a Core 2 Duo processor for just over $600. I thought the price was fair, so I placed the order.

On Friday, the computer arrived. I opened the box, and there was my Ubuntu Mac Pro lookalike. Their website said it would take 10 business days to ship, but it took about half that.

On the first boot, I noticed one thing: they don't install off the shelf Ubuntu. There are some extra programs, a different theme, and the homepage is (of course) shafetech.com. The extra programs are things you would expect, like Kino and Audacity.

Overall, I'm very pleased with my purchase from Shafetech. Once I get the money, I'm going to buy the Azure laptop. :)

maniacmusician
March 7th, 2007, 03:44 AM
I haven't experienced transactions with either company...but the Sys76 support forum here on Ubuntu Forums seems to have some very satisfied customers. It appears that the customer service of System76 goes above and beyond all expectations. I'll probably buy from them, as well. I simply don't know much about Shafetech.

Mateo
March 7th, 2007, 05:20 AM
Why is it that only the lowest priced desktops have normal looking cases (for both companies?). I'd like a powerful (but not necessarily the latest cutting edge) computer that looks like a computer and not a rocket ship. Why can I get that?

PatrickMay16
March 7th, 2007, 06:10 AM
Why is it that only the lowest priced desktops have normal looking cases (for both companies?). I'd like a powerful (but not necessarily the latest cutting edge) computer that looks like a computer and not a rocket ship. Why can I get that?

Rocket ships are the future, my friend.

msabers
March 7th, 2007, 09:44 PM

My Phoenix desktop does not look like a rocket ship, it looks like a normal computer. Half the reason why I bought it was because it looked so damn good.

Mateo
March 8th, 2007, 02:23 AM
My Phoenix desktop does not look like a rocket ship, it looks like a normal computer. Half the reason why I bought it was because it looked so damn good.

I'm glad you're happy with your computer, but i don't want a computer to have steel mesh, nor do I need them to set on stilts.

elcasey
March 8th, 2007, 02:30 AM
Then don't buy one. The only way to get exactly the computer you want is to build it yourself, and buy your own case. I've built all my own machines for a long time now, but it's not for everyone. But whether or not you like the way modern computer cases look is really not helping the original poster decide who to buy from.

aidanr
March 8th, 2007, 03:55 AM
shafetech looks really interesting, the prices seem really good, but there is no mention of what graphics card is being used for their desktops (if at all, and judging by the price i'm betting onboard), and i don't see any mention of VAT

mips
March 8th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Why cant companies use sleek elegant cased like the Antec Sonata II for example (There are many more nice ones out there). Why does everything have to look like it is out of a sci-fi movie full of flashing lights and bling-bling.

They should call themselves 'pimp my box' instead.

Gargamella
March 8th, 2007, 02:04 PM
shafetech looks really interesting, the prices seem really good, but there is no mention of what graphics card is being used for their desktops (if at all, and judging by the price i'm betting onboard), and i don't see any mention of VAT

yes, i noticed there is no graph card mentioned and nothing about shipment and taxes before you are going to make the checkout