PDA

View Full Version : C++ in linux...

Fittersman
March 4th, 2007, 06:29 AM
well i found kdevelop and under build, all it has is 'stop' but that is in light text (so if you click on it nothing happens), how do i build my C++ programs in linux and run them?

unless there is a better C++ app out there than kdevelop...

olejorgen
March 4th, 2007, 06:37 AM
Check if you have build-essensial installed

Fittersman
March 4th, 2007, 06:43 AM
yeah i do

j_g
March 4th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Yet another testament to ease-of-use and intuitive nature of Linux IDEs.

lnostdal
March 4th, 2007, 09:52 AM
well i found kdevelop and under build, all it has is 'stop' but that is in light text (so if you click on it nothing happens), how do i build my C++ programs in linux and run them?

unless there is a better C++ app out there than kdevelop...

i haven't used kdevelop(#1), but ..uhm.. have you tried creating a new project (from the file-menu i guess)?

#1: the ubuntu-programming*.pdf-files here (http://nostdal.org/~lars/writings/) describe my setup for C development (btw .. i would not trade this setup for any other IDE)

lnostdal
March 4th, 2007, 10:11 AM
alright .. i installed kdevelop ..

* Project -> New Project
* Select the topnode "C" then "Simple hello world program" .. fill in an application name and click next
* click next all the way and click finish at the last one
* click Build --> Build Project (or press F8 )

lars@ibmr52:~/Desktop/blah/debug/src$ ./blah
Hello, world!

(edit: i can also start it using Debug -> Start .. or by pressing F9 .. the output from the application is in the "Application" pane at the bottom ....)

..so what's the problem? this took me 5 seconds to figure out - and i have _never_ used kdevelop before .. go figure