PDA

View Full Version : Second Alcatel-Lucent patent suit verdict

tagginannie
March 4th, 2007, 04:48 AM
Once again our great legal system (tounge in cheek) finds that M$ did not violate their patent.
(http://ubuntuforums.org/%3Ca%0Ahref=)Microsoft Wins in second Alcatel-Lucent patent suit (http://news.com.com/Microsoft+wins+in+second+Alcatel-Lucent+patent+suit/2100-1014_3-6163828.html?tag=nefd.top)

wonder what M$ promised the judge to let them walk?

H.E. Pennypacker
March 4th, 2007, 05:55 AM
In all fairness, it seems that the MP3 industry is playing tricks on businesses such as Windows. If I create an operating system, and want my customers to play MP3s legally, who do I go to for licensing? Microsoft has already paid one company a lot of money. Now, another company says that they are due the licensing fees. What?!

That's a bunch of baloney. You should at least be able to know who owns what so the licensing can be clear.

As far as our justice system goes, its pretty good, especially with patent lawsuits. It is very difficult to prove a patent infringement case generally, but this is not exactly a typical patent suit.

SunnyRabbiera
March 4th, 2007, 06:00 AM
True, in this case MS was sort of the good guy.
The MP3 stuff is a joke and all this lawsuiting is getting nowhere, now microsofts claims are bull too but eh they did pay for the licence

Anthem
March 4th, 2007, 06:16 AM
This is a VERY GOOD THING. Patent trolls have the ability to hurt Linux much more than Microsoft.

The fewer patent-related lawsuits prevail, the better. Try not to let your blind hatred of Microsoft lead you to support trends that will harm Free Software.

SunnyRabbiera
March 4th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Thats how I see it in this case, sure i am not happy with MS in its other tactics and they too had a claim to MP3...
but here in this scenario it was AL that was the villain for once

bonzodog
March 4th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Yeah, for once this is a good thing. I wanted MS to win the case, because MP3 is an established standard on the Internet now, and a vital part of the future of Digital Music.

tagginannie
March 6th, 2007, 05:29 AM
In all fairness, it seems that the MP3 industry is playing tricks on businesses such as Windows. If I create an operating system, and want my customers to play MP3s legally, who do I go to for licensing? Microsoft has already paid one company a lot of money. Now, another company says that they are due the licensing fees. What?!

That's a bunch of baloney. You should at least be able to know who owns what so the licensing can be clear.

As far as our justice system goes, its pretty good, especially with patent lawsuits. It is very difficult to prove a patent infringement case generally, but this is not exactly a typical patent suit.

Fraunhofer Institute and Thomson are the patent holders they started to sell in d licenses in 90's. At first M$ did not want one because they had their own format
but as soon as they saw how popular mp3 was becoming then of they just had
to get one witch cost them $16 millon

Yeah our justice system is not bad but, t here are few patents that MS should have not gotten, like 3885 of them lol

tallman9
March 10th, 2007, 10:46 PM
what if M$ suddenly moved completely to ogg...that would be a nice move for all