PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu community 'stats applet'

trash
May 27th, 2005, 08:00 PM
I think the idea of 'collecting' stats has come up before as a feature for the forum to display the numbers of users/locations/ and what not, but today I thought it would be kind cool to have an applet that sat on the desktop(show/hide) that displayed a worldwide count of people using Ubuntu.. online users anyway.
to display something simple like:

Total
Users onlne = ##
Countries = ##
Languages = ##
Downloads = ##
more??

I guess there might be issues about running the applet/daemon by default to keep the stats acurate but it could give a general up to date count.
Of course i don't have a clue how to write a program so I'm just putting the thought out there.

sapo
May 27th, 2005, 09:02 PM
very good ideia!

I think that it isnt very dificult to do.. we need a server to update the users online and "ping" the machines... and sent the stats do eveyone that is online ;-)

I know that there is a lot of programers here that could do it in a few days :grin:

trash
May 27th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Sweet! I doubt that this would be heavy usage on a server, could it be tied in with something that already exsisted like the new update manager which obviously(maybe) functions similarly?

sapo
May 27th, 2005, 09:34 PM
Sweet! I doubt that this would be heavy usage on a server, could it be tied in with something that already exsisted like the new update manager which obviously(maybe) functions similarly?

its impossible to have a heavy usage with just this kind of statistic...

The only thing that the "app" should do is send a packet to the server saying "i m alive" and the server would count how many people is online....

About the location it could be based on the ip..

The app could send kernel version and some more detailed statistics too... like if the cliente is a x86, ppc or amd64.. if the cliente is using gnome, kde or another window manager...

We just need somebody to make the app and the gui.. i can help with the statistics page using php.. like making graphs and all that stuff :grin:

weekend warrior
May 27th, 2005, 09:38 PM
GeoShell (http://www.geoshell.org/index.asp) for windows has a small plugin like this called GeoUsers (http://www.geoshell.org/plugins/zoom.asp?id=245). It's worth a look for the idea and layout. GeoShell uses bars loading and unloading plugins like Gnome panels.

HTH

sapo
May 27th, 2005, 09:51 PM
We can make a dinamic signature to forums too.. a image showing the current status of the ubuntu comunity, and linking to download ubuntu...

something like it:

http://sigx.yuriy.net/images/demooutput.png

It could be an applet to make a signature and at same time send statistics to a global ubuntu usage :grin:

totalshredder
May 27th, 2005, 10:55 PM
We can make a dinamic signature to forums too.. a image showing the current status of the ubuntu comunity, and linking to download ubuntu...

something like it:

http://sigx.yuriy.net/images/demooutput.png

It could be an applet to make a signature and at same time send statistics to a global ubuntu usage :grin:
These are good ideas, and it'd be real fun to use them. We just got to find a Grade A coder :-D

trash
May 27th, 2005, 11:12 PM
Wow i like where this is going!

Basic requirements:
transparent background
configurable text/color/size, options on/off for sent stats/forum?
gDesklet like functionality
gnome startup option

I can't wait!!

sapo
May 28th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Wow i like where this is going!

Basic requirements:
transparent background
configurable text/color/size, options on/off for sent stats/forum?
gDesklet like functionality
gnome startup option

I can't wait!!

[-X

I think this should be fully customizable.. or otherwise nobody will use...

if you make a simple app with a lot of "useless" stuff, its going to slow down in old machines.. so we will NOT have an perfect comunity status... i think that it should be a simple app that show some basic stats and when clicked open a webpage with more accurated status and, graphics and some more options...

It should not use processing or bandwidth.. it just send like from 5 to 5 minutes a "heartbeat" to the server...

like www.no-ip.com does... i m using it... and it runs in background and just send a hearthbeat...

trash
May 28th, 2005, 04:39 PM
[-X

I think this should be fully customizable.. or otherwise nobody will use...

if you make a simple app with a lot of "useless" stuff, its going to slow down in old machines.. so we will NOT have an perfect comunity status... i think that it should be a simple app that show some basic stats and when clicked open a webpage with more accurated status and, graphics and some more options...

It should not use processing or bandwidth.. it just send like from 5 to 5 minutes a "heartbeat" to the server...

like www.no-ip.com does... i m using it... and it runs in background and just send a hearthbeat...

fully customizable would be awesome, i was thinking simlicity but what I would like to see/not to see on my desktop hehe... whoever writes it will ultimately decide, then we can hound him/her for more/less features.
Since i'm also running a older PII I'm all for minimalist apps/anything.