PDA

View Full Version : idea: Welcome to the meta paradigm

stijngysemans
March 3rd, 2007, 09:30 PM
I don't know WHERE to put it, so I'll put it here :)
Welcome to the meta paradigm.

We are using files and directories on our operating systems for a long time now. It's time for a change. Today a computer in the living room of a family isn't any more for business transactions or what so ever, its for organizing digital media, keeping in contact with friends and share information.

Modern operating systems like OSX and Microsoft Vista have already understand that just a regular file system isn't enough for our needs: life can be made easier!

Let me allow to give a test case in where the new meta paradigm can full fill our needs.
John is creative artist, in his job uses his computer to organize the pictures he receives from the photographer. These shoots are all model shoots. In Iview/Iphoto he can tag the pictures to give some structure in his large library: scenery, people on the picture, ratings, keywords. Afterwards he sends finished copies of some edited pictures back to the models via mail.

Wouldn't it be nice to not only tag the picture inside the program but to let the OS take care of that part. Then you wouldn't be tagging just names to the pictures but real contacts. Let me give an example. I tag a picture of Monica, a friend of mine in the program Iview,but Monica is also on my Messenger contact list, in my address book of Thunderbird. Wouldn't it be nice to just be able to have a centralized type named “Contact” so you'll be able to ask you're computer: get me pictures, chat logs, mails and detailed information of Monica.

Raising (or lowering, it depends how you see it) the responsibility of the operating system to also handle more abstract types than just “files” gives you more OS-wide flexibility.

Another powerful feature we have is Internet. People are already tagging news items, blogs and even pictures on Flickr. Let me surprise you: why won't we synchronize our local tags with the internet tags. (For this story to be true, forget privacy issues): I've already given Monica an address but I want here phone number. I just search in the “public” address list for Monica and somebody must have already given her her phone number, maybe herself!

I hope that with this story I'll give you a nice idea of how I see the feature Ubuntu!