PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Windows

MeBeMikeyC
March 3rd, 2007, 04:21 PM
Last night, while walking past the computer section of Walmart, I decided to take a look at Vista. I had heard mixed reviews of Vista, and their Aero desktop, but wanted to see it for myself.

Note, I'm really not one to participate in the Linux vs. Windows debate... However, I was so underwhelmed with Microsoft's "coolest feature" of their new big release, I felt compelled to participate.

Where's this Aero thing? I can't find it? As it turns out, I did find it, but it's such a tiny change, I didn't notice it. I have been using Beryl for awhile (and Windows users call it a Vista rip-off), so I was expecting something more dramatic. This is exactly the, "Oh. That's all I get??" feeling I remember from Windows.

I was never planning on going back to Windows, but Vista sure does seal the deal.

diepruis
March 3rd, 2007, 04:33 PM
This is exactly the, "Oh. That's all I get??" feeling...

Haha, that's brilliant.

kevinlyfellow
March 3rd, 2007, 10:36 PM
I tried out Vista, and aero does exist, but it doesn't do anything special. It really was trying to improve usability and not looks IMO. I have friend who is a vista user, and he said that the one feature that I found interesting wasn't useful for him...

Anyways, what really turned me off was the boy crying wolf. Everytime I tried to do something, a message pops up asking me if I wanted to do it. This can be turned off, but you loose a "security feature" by doing so.

As for Microsoft people saying that its a rip off, I've also heard apple people say that the desktop cube is a ripoff. But I have not found that much of the technology that compiz provides is predated by either 3rd party mac or windows programs. Apple people are right when they look at beryl and say, "so what, we already had that". A lot of it was already there in mac (of course it was built from open source software). But we have not ripped off anyone with many features of beryl.

Baelfael
March 3rd, 2007, 11:05 PM
The whole Aero thing is a big ripoff of Beryl.

xmastree
March 3rd, 2007, 11:32 PM
"Oh. That's all I get??"
Is that all there is, is that all there is
If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
Let's break out the booze and have a ball
If that's all there is.

:guitar:

http://search.able2know.com/About/5089.html