PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to do this??

Roger_Melly
March 3rd, 2007, 01:45 PM
Hello,
I have just fallen for the whole Open Source Ubuntu philosophy. My wife works for a charity who provide support for carers. She has asked me if it is possible to maintain a list of contacts AND apply notes to that list i.e. any advice given, calls made and so on.
I have had a look at Base but I can't see that it can have other documents added or attached to it.

I remember having a copy of Lotus smart suite once and I think this came bundled with something similar.

I have googled but relationship management and call centre management and database all throw up wide and varied complicated stuff.

Do you know how I can do this?

Thanks for your time.

falkenberg_cph
March 3rd, 2007, 02:55 PM
I think "Evolution" is maintaining your calendar and email by default. Maybe some of the features in Evolution can help you. I havent really used it though

/Carsten

orb9220
March 3rd, 2007, 03:48 PM
Look into tomboy a gnome applet. Has a bunch of features and runs from tray.

weatherman
March 3rd, 2007, 04:43 PM
Hello,
I have just fallen for the whole Open Source Ubuntu philosophy. My wife works for a charity who provide support for carers. She has asked me if it is possible to maintain a list of contacts AND apply notes to that list i.e. any advice given, calls made and so on.
I have had a look at Base but I can't see that it can have other documents added or attached to it.

I remember having a copy of Lotus smart suite once and I think this came bundled with something similar.

I have googled but relationship management and call centre management and database all throw up wide and varied complicated stuff.

Do you know how I can do this?

Thanks for your time.
is there a windows software that does what you want? If yes you could try running it with wine.

saulgoode
March 3rd, 2007, 05:59 PM
If your wife's project uses a distribution which has KDE installed, she might find that using BasKet Note Pads (http://basket.kde.org/) along with Kontact (http://kontact.kde.org/) will fit her needs.

Roger_Melly
March 3rd, 2007, 06:03 PM
Thanks guys,
at the moment I'm trying to have a look at Tomboy. Computer says it's in here somewhere I'm just trying to find it. At the moment I'm running Gnome desktop and was thinking of installing this on their old PC's.
I note there is a Gnome office package. Anyone used this?

orb9220
March 3rd, 2007, 06:05 PM
Tomboy is an applet just add to panel.

Roger_Melly
March 3rd, 2007, 06:13 PM
Oh yes thanks Orb!:) I spent ages trying to find the solution to this! Doh!

Roger_Melly
March 3rd, 2007, 06:29 PM
I've started looking through the add/remove. Anyone use GLOM?

Roger_Melly
March 4th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Folks,
I'm still trying to find a database that can have buttons linking to a doc or some other way to maintain notes on that data entry.
I have seen something similar working in Excel where someone had added a hyperlink of sorts to a document. Any one use anything like this for running a club or customer contact program?

Detonate
March 4th, 2007, 05:19 PM
You can do this with ease in OpenOffice spreadsheet. You can insert a hyperlink to a document or file or web site. No problem. You could set up your contacts, and have a field with a hyperlink to the document you use for notes on that contact.