PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone heard of the Holographic Versatile Disc?? (super-storage optical disc)

billdotson
March 3rd, 2007, 06:58 AM
There are HVD's being developed that hold up to 3.4TB (yes I meant TB as in terabytes)

here is some info about them. Imagine that much space on a single disc. Eventually there will be that much space on something like a USB flash drive and by then there will be USB 3 or 4.0 ;)

Imagine later on when you can buy HVD's for normal prices. If you wanted a new OS you would just write that OS to the the HVD. Imagine partitioning out an optical disc. Also when you bought a new PC you no longer bought a HDD you bought a HVD with an OS automatically loaded onto it. That means your data is no longer restrained to a single PC.

Although optical discs are prone to get scratches and such. Maybe something like a plastic casing like the PSP cartridges or something or just go ahead and move to USB flash/thumb drives for the data standard.

I wonder when PCs will eventually just be the size of PDAs and all the data is on a USB drive or something similar to today's SD card or something and you just plug them into your roll-up monitor to use them.

The future of technology is pretty cool. Let's just hope to avoid "the rise of the machines" stuff. I really hope we as people do not start getting brain implants for TV, cellphones and that kindof stuff as I would rather stay human, not be part machine.

SunnyRabbiera
March 3rd, 2007, 07:02 AM
Yeh but you know they might be MS only...

billdotson
March 3rd, 2007, 07:18 AM
why would you say they would be MS only?

prizrak
March 3rd, 2007, 07:15 PM
Yeah I heard of them they are going on sale this year actually. Well not the 3.4 TB ones but smaller capacity. Will be marketed as backup devices for companies.

spockrock
March 3rd, 2007, 07:35 PM
yeah I knew about it writes data in the whole volume of the crystal as opposed to the surface like medium like current media....its acctually pretty cool.

EdThaSlayer
March 3rd, 2007, 07:45 PM
3.4 terabytes is like 3565158.4 megabytes, or 3481.6 gigabytes. Thats insane. But I do like the idea of carrying everything with me. But what if I lose my little portable device?

christhemonkey
March 3rd, 2007, 07:46 PM
Just havin a quick look on wikipedia at the article on HVDs, and it says they might be able to store as much as 3.9TiB!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_Versatile_Disc

And hopefully it shouldnt be MS only as it is being submitted for ISO standardising.
Cant wait!

Nils Olav
March 3rd, 2007, 07:51 PM
You guys might be interested in this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_coated_disc.

FaceorKneecaps
March 3rd, 2007, 08:05 PM
Have heard about it for years now, and it is a promising device, but the development of it is going really slow. Besides, it's not a issue of OS, it's a storagedevice.