PDA

View Full Version : What are the best OEM PC manufacturers?

billdotson
March 3rd, 2007, 05:30 AM
overall what company is the best for OEM PCs in general terms of price, reliability, customer service, etc.?

you know out of the companies like Dell, HP, Acer, Lenovo, IBM, and so on

SunnyRabbiera
March 3rd, 2007, 06:01 AM
HP by far, with IBM right along with it.
HP's policies towards warrenties are more about hardware then software, they really dont officially support linux under warrenty but they are generous to support linux under the table in terms of providing drivers and stuff that is linux friendly, I was able to get around the general "windows only" tech support a few times by backing up my data, wiping the hard disk with the live CD then send it back to the manufacturor without a trace of nix and claiming it was a windows error...
I even blanked grub! :D

~LoKe
March 3rd, 2007, 06:03 AM
Dell will destroy any of the other mentioned companies.

SunnyRabbiera
March 3rd, 2007, 06:07 AM
Well dell is alright, but i will never deal with dell again after my hellish experiences with them, linux support or not.
Heck I rather buy an emachine, heck i did and it lasted longer then any dell i have ever owned.

~LoKe
March 3rd, 2007, 06:11 AM
Well dell is alright, but i will never deal with dell again after my hellish experiences with them, linux support or not.
Heck I rather buy an emachine, heck i did and it lasted longer then any dell i have ever owned.

You must have bad luck. Every single Dell I've owned has performed as well as the first day, and has withstood the test of time.

SunnyRabbiera
March 3rd, 2007, 06:16 AM
It was definately more then bad luck that bgot me away from dell, it was the godawful tech support...
I had a motherboard crash, sent it back to the factory and got an even worse one.
Even when HP was having issues with me when I got my first brand PC they worked for about a couple of months before killing out on me (that was during one of HP's bad years)
the dells?
only a few days before a BSOD

billdotson
March 3rd, 2007, 06:36 AM
I had an HP and didn't have to talk to tech support much. I have never had a Dell that was mine and I have never tried anything other than the two so I don't know myself. Although my HP lasted a good while about 2-3 years before I "upgraded" my PSU toa 430watt off-brand PSU which died and roasted and barbecued my HP. Although it only ruined the motherboard and I easily moved all the other parts like the CPU, RAM, videocard, etc. to antoher mtoherboard and another case, fixed it up and then sold it.

Ubunted
March 3rd, 2007, 06:54 AM
I've had two Thinkpads (A22m, X30) and am considering a third (R40). Other than my self-built desktop, they were the best computers I have ever owned.

Reliable, well built, easy to take apart, clean and upgrade.

SunnyRabbiera
March 3rd, 2007, 07:08 AM
I had an HP and didn't have to talk to tech support much. I have never had a Dell that was mine and I have never tried anything other than the two so I don't know myself. Although my HP lasted a good while about 2-3 years before I "upgraded" my PSU toa 430watt off-brand PSU which died and roasted and barbecued my HP. Although it only ruined the motherboard and I easily moved all the other parts like the CPU, RAM, videocard, etc. to antoher mtoherboard and another case, fixed it up and then sold it.

HP's usually have very fair lifespans, 2-3 years is the normal case but with maintainance you can last one up to 7 or more.

JeevesBond
March 3rd, 2007, 07:10 AM
Are you planning to buy from one of the big manufacturers? It would be better (if you can) to get a local supplier to make you a PC without an OS pre-installed. As you get to talk to the people who're making the thing the support will be good, and they won't mess you around with: 'sorry, we don't support Linux' (at least the ones I spoke to didn't :) ).

There are also some good suppliers of Linux loaded PCs/laptops around the world: System76 (http://system76.com/) (US), The Linux Store North America/Worldwide (http://www.thelinuxstore.ca/) and Europe (http://www.thelinuxstore.org.uk/). I'm certain there are plenty more, that's just what I can remember. :)

I'm currently typing this on a Dell Inspiron 9300 which works perfectly with Ubuntu out of the box. We've got a Lenovo laptop on order from The Linux Store, and it's coming pre-installed so should work perfectly also.

Hope this helps. :)

billdotson
March 3rd, 2007, 07:36 PM
no Iwas just asking as a general discussion, I built my own PC about 5 months ago and I have liked it. Although my PSU and Motherboard are being replaced right now so I am using a Dell. My dad supports Dells all the time.. anytime mine has an issue he either says you should have bought a Dell or you always screw something up so stay off mine. Although he doesn't understand that many of my problems are not understanding how to do certain things in Ubuntu Linux and the bad problems I have had are the PSU and the MB being faulty.

SO really I was just asking, as I would rather build my own PC, as I have heard of the Trusted Platform Module chip on some on the newer PCs and also I just like a PC that is mine. Not one that I have to go through crap just to upgrade or something like that. I hated calling HP about stuff for my HP. I called them and asked them what wattage my PSU was so I would know if I had to upgrade to get a new videocard and they said sorry sir yours is out or warranty but we can tell you for $100. Come on HP.

SunnyRabbiera
March 3rd, 2007, 07:46 PM
there are ways around customer service on HP, I strongly think in the very near future HP there will be a linux helpdesk, heck its propably right around the corner with the way vista is going.
But as I said HP does support linux under the table, thier customer service reps suck now when you say "linux" but it will not last.

OrangeCrate
March 4th, 2007, 01:30 PM
there are ways around customer service on HP, I strongly think in the very near future HP there will be a linux helpdesk, heck its propably right around the corner with the way vista is going.
But as I said HP does support linux under the table, thier customer service reps suck now when you say "linux" but it will not last.

It depends on which customer service rep you talk to. I ordered a new box online right before Christmas, but had a couple of questions regarding Linux compatibility. The rep I talked to was very helpful regarding my hardware questions, and flat out told me that installing Linux would not void the warranty. In fact, he told me he had SUSE installed on his box at home. Nice guy, so it just depends on which rep you get.

DrainBead
March 4th, 2007, 01:39 PM
overall what company is the best for OEM PCs in general terms of price, reliability, customer service, etc.?

you know out of the companies like Dell, HP, Acer, Lenovo, IBM, and so on

Lenovo IS IBM and i prefer IBM so Lenovo is my choice.

HP is a distant second and Dell isn't even close to being a choice for me.

beefcurry
March 5th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Lenovo/IBM has been good to me, their laptops last a...........long long time. you would problely find it too slow before you break something. HP is also good but you tend to break a few things here and there over time. Toshiba is nice now, but their support is lacking. Dell...........ppfftt, cheap but waste of money. but this is just my own value judgement.

nick.inspiron6400
March 5th, 2007, 09:38 AM
I think Dell,HP,and IBM Lenovo are fine. They are three good brands.

I would probably buy a Dell as they are quite cheap and reliable. But my next laptop, will be a HP business notebook. Or Dell latitude, as i want the better build quality.

Nick.