PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu <-> Hardware

VBMAN
March 2nd, 2007, 06:35 PM
hi guys....
i have a desktop and i use ubuntu,,,,i would like to know if ubuntu see my hardware (ram,sata disk,graphic card);;;
please help....:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

fuscia
March 2nd, 2007, 06:45 PM
try the live cd. if your hardware is going to work, it should work with the live cd.

SunnyRabbiera
March 2nd, 2007, 06:47 PM
Huh?
can you make your post more clear?

if you are asking us if ubuntu will support your hardware, it really depends.
A lot of hardware does not support linux, this is no fault of linux but it is a fault in the hardware.
Now are you wanting to install ubuntu? or do you already have it installed in your computer?
The good thing about ubuntu is that it runs off something called a live CD, the live CD can allow you to see what is going to work and what is not, there are many doccuments and tools you can use to determine if ubuntu much less linux will work for you.
Remember that linux is not meant to replace windows, it is not a windows replacement, it is a windows alternative.
Its like having mac OSX

VBMAN
March 2nd, 2007, 06:47 PM
i'm sorry....but what is the live cd.....(the cd that i download from the official site of ubuntu;)

SunnyRabbiera
March 2nd, 2007, 06:49 PM
The live CD is a cd you can run to determine if linux is for you, a live cd allows a person to take a tour of the linux OS without damaging the computer in question.
a live CD can determine if ubuntu is for you or not, luckily if its not you can try another distro.

GameManK
March 2nd, 2007, 06:53 PM
i'm sorry....but what is the live cd.....(the cd that i download from the official site of ubuntu;)

Yes, it's the "desktop" cd.

VBMAN
March 2nd, 2007, 06:55 PM
The live CD is a cd you can run to determine if linux is for you, a live cd allows a person to take a tour of the linux OS without damaging the computer in question.
a live CD can determine if ubuntu is for you or not, luckily if its not you can try another distro.
where can i download the live cd;;;
thank you for the help...

SunnyRabbiera
March 2nd, 2007, 07:01 PM
hoo boy, maybe linux isnt the route for you...
How long have you been using a computer?
How much experience do you have?

If its a short period I would suggest you stick to windows XP or invest in a mac.

I thought you said you aready downloaded the live CD, your posts are confusing.

SurR3AL
March 2nd, 2007, 07:15 PM
http://www.ubuntu.com/products/GetUbuntu/download?action=show&redirect=download

There ya go :) just choose a mirror and download the desktop cd version....

SunnyRabbiera
March 2nd, 2007, 07:18 PM
Uh huh, but really I would like to know how much experience this topics starter has, linux is a different ballgame then windows.

maniacmusician
March 2nd, 2007, 07:27 PM
I agree with Sunny.

The poster may have the capability to use Linux (most people can, if they really give it a shot), but he/she may not have the capability to install and set up a Linux installation by themselves. It's not something that's meant for the average user.

VBMAN
March 2nd, 2007, 07:29 PM
I Know Very Well Windows Xp...... I'm A Programmer.....i Use Vb.net , Java & Html..... If U Have Any Problem,please Solve It By Yourself..... I Would Like To Learn More For Ubuntu....if You Haven't The Expirience To Solve My Questions , Please Don't Post.....
Thank U.....

VBMAN
March 2nd, 2007, 07:32 PM
http://www.ubuntu.com/products/GetUbuntu/download?action=show&redirect=download

There ya go :) just choose a mirror and download the desktop cd version....
THANK U MY FRIEND......YOU ARE VERY HELPFULL//////
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

SunnyRabbiera
March 2nd, 2007, 07:44 PM
I Know Very Well Windows Xp...... I'm A Programmer.....i Use Vb.net , Java & Html..... If U Have Any Problem,please Solve It By Yourself..... I Would Like To Learn More For Ubuntu....if You Haven't The Expirience To Solve My Questions , Please Don't Post.....
Thank U.....

Well I was not trying to be rude about it, but the way you post your topics does not indicate you have good language skills and are flexible with a computer.
Is english your primary language?
are you learning it?
Like I said I am not trying to be rude but with the way you put your posts leaves me a bit off.
But if you use VB, err linux still might not be for you as there is no real vb alternative in linux, there are vb like programs but if you like visual basic then linux is not for you.
But java, yeh if you like to code java its plausible under linux.
you can even try python for a spin.
but I do wish you luck

muguwmp67
March 2nd, 2007, 07:49 PM
This dude is doing the 'help me, I've fallen and I can't get up' troll.

Leave him alone.

VBMAN
March 2nd, 2007, 07:51 PM
i don't know english....i'm from greece....i try solve my questions and you are very arrogant...:mad: :mad: i will try solve my questions by my self , because noone have the patiente to help me.....:mad: :mad: :mad: :( :(

FaceorKneecaps
March 2nd, 2007, 07:59 PM
If he doesnt have any computer experience (it's obvious that searching the web is a thing to learn), why scare him to windows with unwelcoming, you're a noob, comments? I thought linux was trying to steal users from windows? If you guys have nothing better to do than flaming new users, I suggest you make a guide. Because Ubuntu can be complex but it's not brainsurgery for the average user.

The 'Desktop' and 'Live' cd is the same thing and means that you burn ubuntu to a cd, and then it boots from the cd. You can download it from www.ubuntu.com. After the boot you can test if you have internet, sound, video and other thing you need. If you do the hardware on your machine are working with very well in Ubuntu. If you have a wireless connection and dont get it to work there are many threads on this forum than will help you.

If you (still) want to install ubuntu I would recommend that you go HERE (http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=ubuntu+install&hl=en) and choose the video of your preference. There are some nice videos on how to install ubuntu from windows..

SunnyRabbiera
March 2nd, 2007, 08:17 PM
i don't know english....i'm from greece....i try solve my questions and you are very arrogant...:mad: :mad: i will try solve my questions by my self , because noone have the patiente to help me.....:mad: :mad: :mad: :( :(

Well I personally do apologise, me personally I was not trying to be rude (though muguwmp67 was, and for that I also apologise.)
I personally was trying to see how well your experience in computers was and personally determine if ubuntu much less linux is right for you.
I am rather upfront in my questioning but its mainly because I like to help and I cannot help if i dont know enough about the person in question.
Like I said i want trying to be rude, I was just put off by your posts.

VBMAN
March 2nd, 2007, 08:27 PM
ok...ok...anyway thank u...:( :( :( :( :(

SunnyRabbiera
March 2nd, 2007, 08:30 PM
Hey its cool, but remember this stuff does take time and patience, linux is a learning experience but with time it can be good to you

matt_risi
March 2nd, 2007, 08:31 PM
Holy crap what a mess.

Troll or not, download and burn the Live CD and tell us how it sees your hardware. We'll be glad to give you a hand if your patient and polite.

muguwmp67
March 2nd, 2007, 08:46 PM
Actually I wasn't 'trying' to be rude.

I've just gotten increasingly frustrated by the increasing number of posts in the beginner forums that are intended to waste the time of well-intentioned forum members and confuse/scare/intimidate other new users.

Since VBMAN is not a troll, I do apologize.

Much of the problem I had with his post was that his questions were unintelligible. Since the language barrier is a problem in this case, I'll point him here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GreekTeam. I do not see a forum, but there is a mailing list there and an irc channel available.

FaceorKneecaps
March 2nd, 2007, 11:23 PM
Much of the problem I had with his post was that his questions were unintelligible. Since the language barrier is a problem in this case, I'll point him here:

Bla bla bla....how about a real apology. and dont you forget where you came from, because that is making the true desire to help others.

I might seem harsh but I do believe in my teachings of teaching.

muguwmp67
March 2nd, 2007, 11:46 PM
I apologize. I get frustrated at times, and should simply ignore threads that trigger me.