PDA

View Full Version : advice on laptop

thomas.hoyland
March 2nd, 2007, 09:46 AM
hey guys,
I know you like cool stuff and working out problems for prebuilt products.

Im considering buying this laptop and installing 6.10 on it

can anybody see that i might encounter problems with drivers?
from what ive heard, i wont be able to get the camera to work

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/nbrange.html?X20

the laptop is based on the Clevo mobinote series chassis

any help or advice would be outstanding (and i also know you all like looking at new hardware)

Regards,
Tom

anaconda
March 2nd, 2007, 10:50 AM
Cool.. small and light..

but what does this mean:

# Intel Extreme High Performance Graphics

why wont they just tell what graphics cadr it has? propably not very good, because they dont even tell how much memory the display card has..

"Extreme high performance"..???

Good price though.. the smaller ones are usually quite expensive.

And the keyboard doesn't look good. just zoom to the picture.. the spacebar seems tilted.. but cant really tell without pressing some keys..

I would prefer NVIDIA display card with some memory of its own..

adam.tropics
March 2nd, 2007, 11:07 AM
I would prefer NVIDIA display card with some memory of its own..

I am sure someone will correct me if they have seen it, but I don't think I have seen anything other than intel video on such small notebooks.

NoNo_231
March 2nd, 2007, 11:10 AM
Don't know much on this, but I just want to share my personal experience. I have a laptop built from a greek company where almost everything is intel. It played from the first time ubuntu, and I had to do nothing more than install from synaptic beryl to play.

My girlfriend's HP laptop has a 6 in 1 card-reader (do not remember brand) which does not play with new kernels (I found this info googling).

My desktop has an nvidia card which does not play with nv driver so I had to install the driver from nvidia and at every kernel update I have to re-isntall the driver (thanks to envy script for making this job easy).

Resuming I am afraid of the 4-in-1 card reader. And it does not have info about the brands of many things.

thomas.hoyland
March 2nd, 2007, 12:14 PM
hey,
thanks for the replies

ok, its based on the intel 945GM chipset (which means shared video memory) however, i plan to max this to 224.

im not planning on running beryl, however it is gorgeous!

i just need to have a nice bit of power, run ubuntu x64 and be able to playback some dvds when necessary.

i did a bit more looking and have included a link to the machine it is based onhttp://www.clevo.com.tw/products/M521N.asp

finally, does anybody have any experience of intel 945gm graphics on notebooks?

im keen to buy, but it looks good.

thanks for the reply guys. ps. ubuntu rocks

adam.tropics
March 2nd, 2007, 12:24 PM
You might want to bookmark this thread (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=326864&highlight=intel+945gm) (re:intel integrated video). Just a quick one, do you really need that level of mobility? A 12" screen aint much when it comes to watching DVDs.

thomas.hoyland
March 2nd, 2007, 12:45 PM
yeh, i know a 12" screen aint going to be great for dvd playback
i just need a laptop for the road but i may need to watch a dvd occasionally, lol

thanks for the links anyhow guys.

any further help/suggestions will be welcomed

Regards,
Tom

adam.tropics
March 2nd, 2007, 01:20 PM
Just been looking at a few UK sites to get an idea of price. I haven't been there in a number of years. Your choice seems excessively low priced. Not even a Dell can come close! (at that screen size)

thomas.hoyland
March 2nd, 2007, 01:37 PM
is that a good or bad thing tho?:p

Juzz
March 2nd, 2007, 06:09 PM
I have a 12.1 laptop - and it is just fine for watching dvd's on.

My laptop has the ATiX200m graphics - under winblows it runs fine, however due to the poor state of the ATi driver in linux it's not that impressive when in linux - however fine enough for most normal stuff.

I am currently using this notebook to test feisty - and I really like the Xubuntu version.

maniacmusician
March 2nd, 2007, 07:36 PM
is that a good or bad thing tho?:p
could be either :) It means either that this company is very low-quality, or that they're just out to create some serious economic competition. I would ask around for reviews and stuff before purchasing it.