PDA

View Full Version : Software Patent Protest [Melbourne, Aus]

nick4mony
March 2nd, 2007, 04:17 AM
If you want to help force the Software Patent issue into mainstream media, now is a good time. If you're in Melbourne, the mX is worth a try; if elsewhere you can try your national paper(s).

Last week, Microsoft got done for $1.92 billion for MP3 patent violations, and last night, I got a good letter into the mX, a free commuter rag issued in Melbourne (and Sydney, but I don't think my letter got up there).

Read my letter below, then you can chip in with your thoughts.

You can send letters to talk@mxnet.com.au, or the Aussies can SMS to 1994 4000 (costs 55c).

If you email, include full name and contact details. They usually print first name and suburb. If you SMS, start with the word VENT, and include name and suburb.

This was my letter as printed:

Microsoft ruling patently absurd

The $1.92 billion judgment against Microsoft for MP3 patent violations (mX, Friday) is a triumph of stupidity over the rights of society.
Patent issues are hard to understand – it is not a clearcut issue of piracy, but these issues have wide-ranging implications for our software-dependent society.
Software patents (including the MP3 patent) are an abuse of the patent system by large companies. They threaten competitors with patent lawsuits.
It's a common occurrence.
Many people have written free software programs, but then find they are painted into a corner by major companies. Faced with no real alternative, these people have then withdrawn their programs. Using strategies like this, large companies shut down their competitors.

Large companies register thousands of trivial patents and compete on the basis of patents, not price or quality. This means, for certain types of software, we are locked into a single supplier (eg iTunes). For most other types of software, the individuals who write the programs have to “code around” various patents. This make the exercise more complex, expensive, and prone to bugs.
This has obvious implications for our software-driven society. For instance, does anyone know just how many patents apply to the Siemens train braking software?

A few years ago most web developers boycotted the patented GIF image format and switched to PNG format.
It is time to do the same again: when you buy an MP3 player, insist on OGG (Vorbis) support – a patent free music format that will allow you to download, or generate, OGG formatted music.

Nick, Vermont South