PDA

View Full Version : CAN/CAN't thread. what can you do in linux that you cant in windows and v/v

NoTiG
May 27th, 2005, 06:24 AM
just wondering what all you guys CAN do with linux that you can't with windows... and what can you do with windows that you can't with linux?

for me:

On linux i can multi task ... better than windows

On windows i can play shockwave (though this is no fault of linux since shockwave simply hasn't ported) . on linux you CAN get the plugin but ISKETCH doesnt work. so you CANT play isketch in linux.

edit: just wanted to add.. you can use a journaling file system with linux. so if your power goes out you won't lose unsaved files... which is something you can't currently do with windows. and 1 other thing... No windows registry to deal with...

23meg
May 27th, 2005, 06:30 AM
linux only:

- advanced bash scripting
- infinite customization
- better multitasking
- worry-free, secure environment to work in
- good looks
- great open source software

windows only:

- certain proprietary audio/visual production software without linux alternatives

as you can tell, my recent usage time is like 95% linux vs. 5% windows, and i'm looking for a viable emulation/virtualization solution to get rid of dual booting.

Takis
May 27th, 2005, 11:37 AM
edit: just wanted to add.. you can use a journaling file system with linux. so if your power goes out you won't lose unsaved files... which is something you can't currently do with windows.
Dude, Windows 2000 and XP both use NTFS, which is a journaling file system. Also, unsaved files are (unless your program has some sort of recovery system in place) dead and gone. It's changes to the filesystem itself that will stay, so that if the system is half-way through changing a file on a disk, that operation can be rolled back and disk stability improved.

I'll agree with the registry comment though, that thing is a total PITA, but I see it as a simplistic measure to help keep beginner users from doing damage to their machines.
(yet, at the same time, you can delete everything in C: without any problems...)

Pro-Linux:
-Customise, customise, customise!
-Have real 'on-demand' software (download rather than have to go out and buy apps. I realise there's heaps of free software for Windows, but compared to Linux...)
-Portability across architectures
-Work happily with other OSs (or at least, attempt to)
-Select & Copy - ultimate integration.

Pro-Windows:
-(the single reason why I still dual-boot) guarantee that a game is supposed to work on this OS
-Typically better support for closed source proprietary formats (most of which are owned by Microsoft anyway)
-Office system that works rather well (it's true. MS Office is a lot more reliable than OO, unfortunately. I'm yet to give 2.0 a try)
-You can install & run virus & spyware scanners - wait, that's a bad thing, isn't it? :roll:
-Active Directory makes it relatively easy to set up corporate networks

There's heaps more for either case. Right tool for the right job, I guess.

ubuntu_demon
May 27th, 2005, 11:48 AM
I can do almost everything I want in linux and it is more stable and secure. The things I go to windows for :

-my webcam
-my scanner
-very very occasionaly a game

ssam
May 27th, 2005, 06:03 PM
X11

it may get critised for being slow (although i dont think it is), but network transparency is very handy. i have a headless (no monitor or keyboard) via epia, then i ssh over wireless from my laptop, and start rhythmbox and play my music.

free software. i have become dependent on firefox, openoffice, thunderbird, latex, the gimp, bash etc. they work so much better under linux, that any other os is awkward.

by the way. i have a powerbook, so my choice is mac os x or linux. mac os x has X11 in it, but none of the native apps use it.

pdk001
May 27th, 2005, 06:36 PM
windows XP to watching TV, playing a starcraft game and checking online bank(allowed only explore in korea)
something else to linux

bored2k
May 27th, 2005, 08:03 PM
I'll bite.

_Windows_
- Gaming. No cedega, no wine, no weird drivers.
- Microsoft Office 2003. I like that Office Suite. A lot.
- I can be more focused while doing things (because there is not much space nor things to play around).
- Better DVD Authoring (sony vegas + dvd architect)

_Linux_
- Learn.
- Enjoy computing, even if I'm only browsing.
- Have fun.
- The ability to get better.
- I can use good, competitive software for free.

tread
May 27th, 2005, 08:31 PM
I thought this would end up as flamebait, but I'm glad it hasn't.

Windows
1. Microsoft Office. I hate this office suite, but it has its uses. There isn't anything better for writing a quick document or putting together a presentation in a hurry. When I have time, or need to write big documents, I use latex.
2. Games. Much more choice really .. and no wine stuff.
3. Multimedia stuff is still better here .. I used opencv my work, and some avi's are just not opened by opencv under linux, even with the codecs installed. Work fine under windows.

Linux
1. Customize.
2. Not worry about viruses.
3. Choose.

Other than for the work I mentioned, and Rhapsody .. I don't use Windows at all.

bored2k
May 27th, 2005, 08:41 PM
I thought this would end up as flamebait
I'm keeping an eye on it..

aysiu
May 27th, 2005, 09:04 PM
Windows XP:
iTunes

Linux
Total customization (icons, fonts, splash screen, themes, etc.)
Quality free programs sans spyware/adware (Inkscape, GIMP, zsnes, Supertux)
Ease of partitioning for "home" folder
Ability to share files with FAT32 Windows, recognition of Windows partition
Different distributions!

TravisNewman
May 27th, 2005, 09:18 PM
you can do iTunes in Linux through Crossover Office :)

just FYI

NoTiG
May 27th, 2005, 09:37 PM
ok so so far:

Linux:

Better multitasking

Better networking

completely and utterly more customizable

THe file systems on Linux don't need defragmenting as much as windows right?

Virtual workspaces (comes default... im not sure windows has it)

Better and easier method of software installation (synaptic is more elegant than anything i have seen in windows. and once youve used it you realize its actually easier to install things!

Better security/no spyware,adware/no need for a firewall by default

Since all ports are configured to be closed, and since software usually includes sourcecode, and since the root usermode protects software from running at admin level, and the fact that software usually comes from a central repository... helps keep it all spyware , adware free.

No windows registry nightmares - windows registry usually gets nasty over time with installing/uninstalling programs and breaking things.

Windows:

alot of programs, including proprietary drivers
DirectX api and games

Anyone notice that the good things about windows aren't necessarily linux faults? If the programs were made for linux, then what would be better about windows than linux?

Jenda
May 27th, 2005, 11:30 PM
Anyone notice that the good things about windows aren't necessarily linux faults? If the programs were made for linux, then what would be better about windows than linux?
Hell yea...

Linux: Gaming, DVDs, Browsing, Geek stuff (not much in my case), Office work, Killing time, Avoiding MS, Learning about the beautiful OS + OSS in general, Email, Chatting (IRC, IM - GAIM, Gabber), Playing music, downloading pirated software and media, feeling guilty, deleting it afterwards...
Windows: - - -

Did I miss anything?

I thought this would end up as flamebait, but I'm glad it hasn't.
yet... muahahahaha

somuchfortheafter
May 28th, 2005, 12:29 AM
windows
Virus Scanning and File Changes for ntfs ( i scan peoples hard drives via a usb enclosure for virii/spyware)
easy networking for printer/file sharing for small small networks
for games

linux
general computing
larger than small small networks
easy upgrading
better software management
learning programming basics
to say you know about in a job interview(maybe that is just somthing to do with my age idk)
*next week once my video card for my desktop that Im building gets in I will see how well cedega works for games in linux or if i should dual boot*

Takis
May 28th, 2005, 02:44 AM
larger than small small networks
I disagree. What's wrong with Active Directory?

qalimas
May 28th, 2005, 02:51 AM
I'm 100% Linux, 0% Windows, have been for over a year, so pardon me if any of these things have changed.

Windows:
-You get to pay real money for software
-You get a tutor to walk you through setting up a simple program
-But seriosuly, if you just want something done, and aren't interested in learning, Windows helps you get it done as painless as possible

Linux:
-Virtual Desktops - I LOVE this feature!
-You can separate your panel into menus and one for the taskbar, which is really good if you have a long quick launch bar
-Kopete :D
-Much better multitasking
-KOffice :D
-apt-get
-Free software
-Better GUI with more eye candy (I'm a KDE user)
-If you know what you're doing, not even the sky is the limit

There's probly tons more I didn't list, I don't like to list games for a Windows +, that's what my Gamecube is for. Besides, Linux has penty of great games, you just have to find them ;)

aysiu
May 28th, 2005, 06:41 AM
you can do iTunes in Linux through Crossover Office :)

just FYI

Call me cheap, but I don't relish the idea of paying money for a program that will allow me to use a program I can have for free through dual-boot.

TravisNewman
May 28th, 2005, 06:49 AM
well, you have to pay more for Windows (unless you get it illegally), than you do for crossover (again, unless you get it illegally). So it's cheaper to buy crossover for people who don't already own Windows.

But yes, i see your point.

aysiu
May 28th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Most certainly. If Windows didn't come with my computer, I would not have purchased it. What bugs me is that most mainstream computer sellers make XP come pre-loaded. Oddly enough, Walmart is one of the few mainstream stores that sells computers with Linux (though, with Linspire).

HP's announcement's semi-exciting, but until they sell in the US...

Kyral
May 28th, 2005, 05:01 PM
- Linux
-- Game (I don't mind paying for Cedega, its about time I paid for SOMETHING on the computer, and its a great project!)
-- *what everyone else said*

-- Windows
Webcam (I know it can be done on Linux, I'm just lazy ATM :P)

costoa
May 28th, 2005, 05:44 PM
just wondering what all you guys CAN do with linux that you can't with {MS) windows...

Have an uptime of more than three days. =)

I have two Ubuntu boxes, one (my server) with a current uptime of a 104 days. It would've been longer but I shut off the UPS by mistake.

somuchfortheafter
May 29th, 2005, 12:48 AM
hmm i ran my xp desktop *before i was into linux that much* for about 3 months without a reboot and it was fine.....

Lovechild
May 29th, 2005, 12:57 AM
The only task I need Windows for is work - which is Visual Studio.NET based and there's no equal on Linux I could use wth Mono.

My home desktop has been 100% Linux for 6 years

momo66
May 29th, 2005, 01:25 AM
Linux

Customize
Learn something new
no virus problems
no spyware

Windows
Stopped using

Mac
iTunes
frontend Video server

Mez
May 30th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Ah my main problem (having only been using Linux as my primary Os for a few weeks) is games...

Games ae either too annoying to get working in Linux, or jsut dont work (apart form UT)

I love Linux, simply for the fact that it's running a hell of a lt faster than my version of windows does.

But well... I dont know - if I couldget games on here I'd probably wipe Windows, then end up reinstalling itcause I missed some fiddly little bit that was useful and worth rebooting for