PDA

View Full Version : Collaboration Software and Tools

HumanAnarchist
March 1st, 2007, 06:33 PM
Hello,

I got some questions about collaboration software and tools.

At my workplace we want to work at different physical locations, but still want to talk together, view the screen of each other and use webcams. The OS's at use are Ubuntu and Win XP

I thought that

using Skype for voice, works fine on Linux and great on Windows
VNC for remote viewing of screens on Ubuntu
Windows Remote Desktop for viewing Windows XP from Ubuntu
Ekiga [Ubuntu] + netmeeting [WinXP] for webcam

I thought about using www.stickam.com for voice, chat and video, but it does not work that well. The lag is almost 15 sec... :(

I also thought about using Ventrilo http://www.ventrilo.com/ for voice, but the Linux client is still in development :(
Edit: TeamSpeak2 looks promising

Are there other tools that I should look into?

Any ideas to make this setup work better?

Best Regads,
-ha-

maniacmusician
March 1st, 2007, 07:06 PM
Well, if you're using a KDE desktop, you can use the tools Krfb (Remote desktop server) and Krdc (Remote desktop client). It supports a bunch of protocols, including VNC, and it generally works flawlessly when done linux-to-linux. If you have a good VNC server set up on Windows, then you can use Krdc to connect to that as well (though then you might as well just use the VPN client that comes with Ubuntu)

Anyways, I've found that for Linux-to-linux remote desktop viewing, Krfb is quick and painless. I've never attempted to VNC into a Windows computer.

On another note; why not just use Ekiga for voice and video? Skype is a piece of junk on Linux. Of course, make sure you have webcams that work in Linux. That'll probably be the hardest part.

HumanAnarchist
March 3rd, 2007, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the info, I'll look more into your suggestions. Thanks mate!

-ha-