PDA

View Full Version : What RSS reader are you using?

Adamant1988
March 1st, 2007, 05:08 PM
I'm torn between BlogBridge and Google Reader myself. Both are very excellent RSS readers...

weatherman
March 1st, 2007, 05:37 PM
akregator

justin whitaker
March 1st, 2007, 05:38 PM
I'm a Google fanatic. I use Google Reader, Notebook, Blogger...you name it.

reacocard
March 1st, 2007, 05:43 PM
Liferea

TheRingmaster
March 1st, 2007, 05:45 PM
+1 for google reader. I would use akregator if I was using kubuntu.

akudewan
March 1st, 2007, 05:54 PM
Liferea

Adamant1988
March 1st, 2007, 06:20 PM
What really bothers me about Google Reader is the lack of a search function of all things...

k@y@
March 1st, 2007, 06:29 PM
I'm using Opera for both surfing and rss subscription...

kaamos
March 1st, 2007, 06:29 PM
liferea

Wolki
March 1st, 2007, 06:35 PM
Liferea.

blockcipher
I use Google Reader. But since I'm new to ubuntu, I'll research liferea.

Paul41
I use Google Reader.

Adamant1988
March 1st, 2007, 07:06 PM
I highly suggest you all try BlogBridge and let me know what you think. :)

It's open source and GPL. It is however a desktop client for reading your news, not a web based app like Google Reader is.

http://www.blogbridge.com/downloads/blogbridge/

blockcipher
March 1st, 2007, 07:09 PM
I'll try it tonight for sure. Thanks.

Adamant1988
March 1st, 2007, 07:14 PM
I'll try it tonight for sure. Thanks.

Thanks, really the only thing that BlogBridge gives me that Google Reader doesn't is a very nice search ability for my blogs, among freaking TONS of filtering options (star ratings, pinning, tagging, etc.)

blockcipher
March 1st, 2007, 07:19 PM
Sounds pretty sweet!

Adamant1988
March 1st, 2007, 09:10 PM
although I love my google reader, I'm becoming partial to BlogBridge.

I was JUST looking up a news article I found that I wanted to share with a mailing list I'm on. I couldn't find it in google reader, but open up blog bridge and do a search for a term in the blog and it's there, very easy.

rolando2424
March 1st, 2007, 09:32 PM
I use Liferea.

Adamant1988
March 1st, 2007, 09:49 PM
Perhaps I should have made this a poll. Haha.

PartisanEntity
March 2nd, 2007, 03:24 AM
Yeah a poll would have been nice.

Luggy
March 2nd, 2007, 05:26 AM
Thunderbird is my RSS reader. Handy to have my mail client and RSS reader in the same place.

nandasunu
March 2nd, 2007, 05:29 AM
I used bloglines for a long time, I still like it for online rss. I use liferea now, i have 60+ subscriptions and its quick and easy to use.

PartisanEntity
March 2nd, 2007, 01:16 PM
It would actually be quite nice to have a RSS plugin for Evolution.

AndyCooll
March 2nd, 2007, 01:27 PM
Liferea. Simple, and easy to configure and use. I've tried a few others, however none seem to be as good.

:cool:

palmerthegeek
March 2nd, 2007, 01:58 PM
Google Reader, currently... convert from Bloglines... but am going to checkout BlogBridge....

PartisanEntity
March 2nd, 2007, 02:03 PM
Been trying out BlogBridge, nicely designed, and the layout is nice too, I like it. I didn't sign up for the free online account, don't need/want that feature. But a nice reader, I think it might be my new main feed reader, thanks for the link.

stokedfish
March 2nd, 2007, 02:05 PM
Netvibes!

http://www.netvibes.com/ ;)

Adamant1988
March 2nd, 2007, 07:36 PM
Been trying out BlogBridge, nicely designed, and the layout is nice too, I like it. I didn't sign up for the free online account, don't need/want that feature. But a nice reader, I think it might be my new main feed reader, thanks for the link.

It has pulled me away from Google Reader officially. I love how well I can manage and sort through my feeds with it.

ixus_123
March 2nd, 2007, 08:03 PM
Liferea

not really a fan of java apps as they tend to hog a bit more CPU from my experience. I do like that they are multiplatform though

Adamant1988
March 3rd, 2007, 01:32 AM
Liferea

not really a fan of java apps as they tend to hog a bit more CPU from my experience. I do like that they are multiplatform though

Yeah, I haven't had that experience with blogbridge, but I'm also on a decent computer so meh...

kuukie
March 3rd, 2007, 01:40 AM
Before I try the thousands of RSS readers out there, could someone who's already tried the lot please tell me if there's one out there that has the following features:

- something like the 'red line' in xchat that shows you what has been said/posted since the window was last focused
- something like Feedrinse (http://feedrinse.com), except i'd like to keep my bookmarks to myself

It would be great to have this as a Firefox extension...

Adamant1988
March 3rd, 2007, 02:09 AM
Google Reader shows you what's new since you last checked your feeds, and it also keeps your feeds private. You might want to look at BlogBridge since it does the same thing, it's it's own client though, not a site or extension.

There really are no good RSS extensions for FireFox.. truth be told.

banjobacon
March 3rd, 2007, 02:52 AM
I use Google Reader. I like web-based readers, as I can check my feeds from any computer, and keep track of read/unread posts.

ViRMiN
March 3rd, 2007, 03:00 AM
Firefox! God bless me, for I have to endure Windows 2K for my sins :D

grte
March 3rd, 2007, 06:54 AM
I use snownews.

JeevesBond
March 3rd, 2007, 07:19 AM
Opera (http://www.opera.com) of course! It does everything, including making the tea, washing up, it even ... Oh no, can't talk about that. :)

Yeah it was a rubbish joke, Opera's still a great browser though.

nievo
June 30th, 2007, 09:08 AM
It would actually be quite nice to have a RSS plugin for Evolution.

There is indeed a RSS plugin for Evolution (http://mips.edu.ms/evo/index.php/Evolution_RSS_Reader_Plugin).
I haven't had the time to check it out yet, but development on it seems pretty active.

pseudonym
June 30th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Kmail - one of the many beautiful things about the KDE desktop. It looks sweet, comes set up with a ton of *buntu feeds (if that's your thing), and has the Konqueror browser integrated, so when you click on a link in a feed it will open up the browser window in a tab in Kmail, and not another application (unless you want it to).

icecruncher
June 30th, 2007, 10:15 AM
sorry bout the double post

icecruncher
June 30th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Kmail - one of the many beautiful things about the KDE desktop. It looks sweet, comes set up with a ton of *buntu feeds (if that's your thing), and has the Konqueror browser integrated, so when you click on a link in a feed it will open up the browser window in a tab in Kmail, and not another application (unless you want it to).

You are talking about akregator, I like it too
kmail and a bunch of others are opened from the shell program named Kontact.
great program.
I use akregator as well

bobbocanfly
June 30th, 2007, 11:33 AM
On Ubuntu i use Mozilla Thunderbird and on Slax i use Akregator

PartisanEntity
June 30th, 2007, 11:36 AM
There is indeed a RSS plugin for Evolution (http://mips.edu.ms/evo/index.php/Evolution_RSS_Reader_Plugin).
I haven't had the time to check it out yet, but development on it seems pretty active.

Very cool, thanks for posting this, I will give it a try.

Erunno
June 30th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Opera on Windows and Akregator on Linux.

ADT
July 17th, 2007, 11:19 AM
snownews

argie
July 17th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Liferea, and I'm wondering why they didn't just make it Liferead, it'd make it easier to pronounce, though it looks better this way.

I've used Akregator in the past.

Stealth
July 17th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Thunderbird is my RSS reader. Handy to have my mail client and RSS reader in the same place.

Indeed.

gb7055
July 17th, 2007, 12:55 PM
I use Liferea.

tbroderick
July 17th, 2007, 01:09 PM
newsbeuter (http://www.synflood.at/newsbeuter.html) it's better then snownews.

Scruffynerf
July 17th, 2007, 01:52 PM
I use Sage, the Firefox extension. Have used Liferea, but didn't want to use 4 programs for net stuff (FF, TB, GAIM.)

Confession: Didn't know TB came with an RSS feed.

ADT
July 20th, 2007, 12:30 PM
newsbeuter it's better then snownews.

tbroderick

In snownews when you use the BBC world news RSS feed it only gives you one sentence per headline.

Does newsbeuter give you the whole article's text?

Or do you have to open up a browser to see the whole text whatever RSS reader you use?

tehkain
August 6th, 2007, 04:45 AM
Anyone know of a RSS client that saves feed data periodically(GTK) rather then when it is closed? Liferea is causing me some issues. I have it so it starts automatically upon start up, but when I shut down without closing it first I lose all my 'mark as read' and 'new feed' data. So it acts like I never even grabbed new feeds and read them.

So I spend to much time marking feeds I have already seen as read.

I would prefer to use liferea if anyone has a solution other then remembering to shut it down before I logout.

Also I really do not want to use only a web solution.

PS - I hope one day epiphany will get an rss extension.

reacocard
August 6th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Anyone know of a RSS client that saves feed data periodically(GTK) rather then when it is closed? Liferea is causing me some issues. I have it so it starts automatically upon start up, but when I shut down without closing it first I lose all my 'mark as read' and 'new feed' data. So it acts like I never even grabbed new feeds and read them.

So I spend to much time marking feeds I have already seen as read.

I would prefer to use liferea if anyone has a solution other then remembering to shut it down before I logout.

Also I really do not want to use only a web solution.

PS - I hope one day epiphany will get an rss extension.

hm, I don't have that problem with liferea unless I log out right after I change something, I think it just saves changes periodically.