PDA

View Full Version : What is/are the top processor/s currently/soon?

billdotson
March 1st, 2007, 03:00 PM
I have heard so much hype about the Cell Processor that Sony has in their PS3 and I wonder how does that even compare to the new Intel Quad Core chips and the dualchip quad-core AMD systems?

Speaking of which is better the new AMD lineup of chips or Intel's new lineup?

I hear that these quad cores won't have much performance difference because there aren't many multithreaded apps out there right now. Even there are some programs I use right now that having 2 cores actually confuses them and slows them down because they are not made for them.

What are your thoughts?

mips
March 1st, 2007, 05:13 PM
I have heard so much hype about the Cell Processor that Sony has in their PS3 and I wonder how does that even compare to the new Intel Quad Core chips and the dualchip quad-core AMD systems?

Speaking of which is better the new AMD lineup of chips or Intel's new lineup?

Dunno about Cell and I don't think we will see it in desktops anytime soon.

As a long time AMD user I would advise you to go will Intel right now as they have the edge.

hizaguchi
March 1st, 2007, 05:17 PM
As far as I know, the Intel Core 2 Duo/Quad chips are still outrunning anything AMD makes. I dunno about the difference between 2 and 4 cores though for regular uses. I know both of my Turion cores rarely get used at the same time though. If I had a do-over, I would have taken one really fast core over two slower ones.

billdotson
March 1st, 2007, 05:19 PM
Yeah almost all of my programs do not utilize more than one core and some of them even run slower/or have errors because I have two cores (WinTV2000 locks up if I don't tell the program to stop using the 2nd core)