PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Uploader

russell.h
March 1st, 2007, 03:33 AM
I'm busy downloading the 64bit version of Edgy, and when I checked KTorrent I noticed that having downloaded 490mb I have only uploaded 1mb. Since I now have (relatively) unlimited bandwidth I like to get my share ratio on any given download up to at least 1, so normally I would just say "oh well, I'll just seed for a while".

The problem of course is that as soon as this download finishes (oops, it just did, so as soon as I post this) I'm formatting my HD and installing it. So I got to thinking, maybe the Ubuntu installer should include an option to make an .iso of the install CD on the hard drive, and automatically seed it in the background until some (time, transfer, whatever) limit is reached.

That got me thinking about distributing updates via torrent as well. Such a thing should definitely only be an alternative to the repos as if I were running a server I just don't think I would be comfortable downloading "security" updates via p2p regardless of what kind of checksums it was running.

Has this ever been discussed? It seems like all of the necessary software is already included (most something to rip a .iso and some sort of torrent client, although a different/custom client might be in order), so its really mostly just a matter of building the option into the installer. (I say "just" with full knowledge of the fact that such a thing is way over my head)

firefly2442
March 1st, 2007, 04:13 AM
With the multitudes of people seeding Ubuntu ISOs I don't think it's a huge deal if people don't seed to 100%. You can always make an ISO of the CD you just burned and seed it. ;)

As for using bittorrent and apt-get together, I know there is a project in the Debian community to do that. There are probably some security issues and for small applications it might be faster to just download from a single server but:

http://sianka.free.fr/spip.php?rubrique4

This is a link I found using Google. I don't know if that's an official project or not but I do know that people have worked on this idea in the past. :)

Nikron
March 1st, 2007, 04:20 AM
I think the main problem is, for installers, the less options, the better. You can still copy the CD onto your harddrive and seed with it if you want.