PDA

View Full Version : open source for C++

zeusconnection
March 1st, 2007, 02:01 AM
Hi there

I did learn C++ at school but I never have a chance to understand it , I ask my teacher to help in that he suggest me to find an open source to get help. The raison he refere me to open source community because I told him I using Linux OS. Any one can help find one because I want to do programming as carrer

thanks an advence

pmasiar
March 1st, 2007, 02:53 AM
I did learn C++ at school but I never have a chance to understand it , I ask my teacher to help in that he suggest me to find an open source to get help. (...) I want to do programming as carrer

For me it is hard to imagine how you could learn C++ without understanding it :-) but anyway: seems to me you are looking for some training tasks to solve to learn C++ better, task beyond the simple exercises from the book you used. You can solve any problem you are interested in. Write some games, even if they will be unusable by others - you will learn something. No need of fancy GUI: plain text input is fine for starters.

I have collection of simple problems to solve for beginners: http://learnpydia.pbwiki.com/TasksBeginners - and you may also take a look at Python, because it is easier language to learn than C++, especially for a beginner.

Or ask around your local community if anyone has a problem and try to solve it. Ask again when you have specific questions.

duff
March 1st, 2007, 02:54 AM
if you're just looking for open source projects using C++, there's about 20 thousand at sourceforge -- http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=165

idn
March 1st, 2007, 03:02 AM
Yeah python might be a good place to start, once you expand you knowledge of programming its pretty easy to move between languages, the semantics are similar between them its just a matter of understanding how the little things work differently and the syntax of the language

zeusconnection
March 1st, 2007, 03:33 AM
thanks for both of you.
pmasiar I think you get my point because when I was in the C++ class I allways want to see a programme writting under C++ and see how all the code relate each other to make it work, thats why one time I ask my teacher how you can break down an setup installation icon the one look like a monitor maning "setup.exe" to see how many file compose it and which one responsible to call other file already exit on the operating system.

the thing is I always heard C++ is a complex language and difficult to get specially when you start learning programming. Thanks again in the mean time I gonna try python to see if I can continue with programming field.

zeusconnection
March 1st, 2007, 03:46 AM
Hey !
I forgot to metion the school I go to they use Windows OS it difficult to to get the code from the school work on my machine