PDA

View Full Version : Open source saves money for business.

ade234uk
February 28th, 2007, 11:00 PM
When I started working for my boss he had a small operation from his garage. He then moved in to a warehouse and in to an even larger warehouse after this.

Along the way I have created websites for him as his business has grown. The websites have always been created using Open Source, PHP, MySQL and hosted on a no nonsense Linux Server. The websites I do have done the job and got the message across. They may look sometimes plain, but hey the audience we aim at dont care anyway as long as they get a good deal.

Over the years he has saved £££ on hosting and licence fees. These websites have done just as good a job as their .aspx equivelants at a 1/4 of the price and have been just as interactive and just as reliable.

My boss has got involved with an even larger company now, and from what he tells me, I am seriously frightened at the amount of money they are paying out on their IT.

The company has about 40 employees, about 10 of these have email addresses, however they seem to warrant having a Windows 2003 small business server to collect their email, plus two other servers in a special ventilated room and yet they host no websites here?.

First I ask myself why? Is Windows that unreliable they need all this kit?
Then I think to myself they are seriously being ripped off here.

They could do all this with one Linux Ubuntu Server free of charge and get better efficiency.

My boss tells me how **** the mailserver is as well. He has got himself his own email address there, and its always removing attachments or not sending email when it should.

Trouble is the company is blinded by all M$ ******** and eye candy, and any other OS that is mentioned is regarded as crap.

The MD of the company was raving about how brilliant his Windows server is. But does he know he know he is being ripped off and does he know he can get a better deal with a Linux Server and by using Open Source.

Companies really need to be made aware of what Open Source can do. The other day my boss said to me Linux is great... Why is it great? becuase its saved him money.

He is now also seeing how expensive Windows is to deploy in different organisations so I am hoping Ubuntu could make it on to the desktops at his own warehouse.