PDA

View Full Version : Gotta love people who sell free software

Dayylin
February 28th, 2007, 09:47 PM
In he local buy-swap-sell magazine/website

(software) ubuntu 6.06 LTS linux (dapper drake - gnome interface) live (installation) cd, ultra secure (OS) operating system. $19.95 ltd supply-Contact Information-Augusta, ME

Ob1
February 28th, 2007, 09:53 PM
hehe, you do know you can sell free/open software?

put in this case it's no point since it's already free of charge.

Kernel Sanders
February 28th, 2007, 09:55 PM

(software) ubuntu 6.06 LTS linux (dapper drake - gnome interface) live (installation) cd, ultra secure (OS) operating system. $19.95 ltd supply-Contact Information-Augusta, ME

I dont really see the problem as long as the $19.95 included a manual and after-sale support.

muguwmp67
February 28th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Cheesy and Tacky? Yup. I'm pretty sure its legal too. He probably won't sell enough to pay for the ad space though. I think you should buy it from him and take him to court if he doesn't provide the source code upon request.

What bugs me are the people on YouTube who put up all of the 'me-too' copies of popular videos in a lame attempt to grab enough views to get paid.

I guess anytime someone sees an opportunity for an easy buck, they'll go for it.

BWF89
February 28th, 2007, 10:02 PM
I dont really see the problem as long as the $19.95 included a manual and after-sale support.
If more companies sold open source software but included manuals and support more people would be using it. A lot of people correlate the price with the effectiveness.

I don't agree with companies selling products you could download for free and not providing anything extra. Although I don't believe it should be illegal either. If people are dumb enough to pay for something without doing a web search and finding it can be downloaded for free they deserve to pay.

Dayylin
February 28th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Yeah, I know it's legal. A friend pointed it out to me after I gave him a bunch of cds to give out and he thought it was funny. :)

tbroderick
February 28th, 2007, 10:03 PM
I've bought free software before. I didn't always have the internet, or I was on pay-as-you-go dial-up, or I didn't have a CD burner. $19.95 does seem a little bit steep though. I think I paid about $2 per disc.

darkhatter
February 28th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Free means that you can view the code, it doesn't (just) mean its free in price.

I believe you just earned this:

n00b!!!!! RTFL (read the ____ License)

Adamant1988
March 1st, 2007, 12:36 AM

So? If he makes a few bucks great, and I'm sure his buyers will be very happy with their product.

Dayylin
March 1st, 2007, 01:19 AM
Free means that you can view the code, it doesn't (just) mean its free in price.

I believe you just earned this:

n00b!!!!! RTFL (read the ____ License)

Guess ya can't read. Yeah, I know what free software means. n00b!!!? Uh oh, leet speak been used. You are a stud. Congrats! oh yeah and in tech terms byte me

Arisna
March 1st, 2007, 02:19 AM
Guess ya can't read. Yeah, I know what free software means. n00b!!!? Uh oh, leet speak been used. You are a stud. Congrats! oh yeah and in tech terms byte me
Also in tech terms, someone who bit you eight times would only byte you once.

<_<

Damn computer jokes, creating silly paradoxes.

adam.tropics
March 1st, 2007, 12:05 PM
Whilst I personally won't be rushing to the store, and the OP's ad is not really the type of example I want to see more of, there is an argument for selling Linux products. Perception of price versus quality and use, is not something that existing Linux users perhaps think about, but in the world outside the forums, frankly the perception of 'free' in any of its meanings is either 'it's probably no good' (<--the polite edition) or 'ok, what's the catch?'. Selling it gives it a value in financial terms, which for many people, and businesses, makes Linux/Open Source as a movement easier to grasp.

We are all trying to 'sell' Linux. Who'd have thought it'd be so hard to sell it for free! For me, it's all about choice, and I like the many distros available and would not want to change that. However, I would like to see some central advertising and advocacy toward Linux. Perhaps if there was a fund setup by the community as a whole to promote Linux, I don't know. I don't mean to promote RedHat, or Ubuntu, or Suse or any individual distro, but Linux as a whole. Heading off topic, will leave that there.

ljpm
March 1st, 2007, 01:54 PM
Whilst I personally won't be rushing to the store, and the OP's ad is not really the type of example I want to see more of, there is an argument for selling Linux products. Perception of price versus quality and use, is not something that existing Linux users perhaps think about, but in the world outside the forums, frankly the perception of 'free' in any of its meanings is either 'it's probably no good' (<--the polite edition) or 'ok, what's the catch?'. Selling it gives it a value in financial terms, which for many people, and businesses, makes Linux/Open Source as a movement easier to grasp.

We are all trying to 'sell' Linux. Who'd have thought it'd be so hard to sell it for free! For me, it's all about choice, and I like the many distros available and would not want to change that. However, I would like to see some central advertising and advocacy toward Linux. Perhaps if there was a fund setup by the community as a whole to promote Linux, I don't know. I don't mean to promote RedHat, or Ubuntu, or Suse or any individual distro, but Linux as a whole. Heading off topic, will leave that there.

If you really want people to use Ubuntu then don't put a price on it, just tell them it is pirated... :lolflag:

ice60
March 1st, 2007, 01:58 PM
it a great thing to sell free software, i would have thought anyone who puts their code under the GPL thinks the same, or at least wouldn't make any fuss about it 99% of the time, otherwise they'd use another licence. it's not difficult finding another licence, at least i shouldn't think it is. so what's the problem with it :confused:

EdThaSlayer
March 1st, 2007, 02:13 PM
At least the seller tells some real facts.Ubuntu is in fact "ultra secure". Plus he is selling a manual along with it.

hellmet
March 1st, 2007, 04:28 PM
Another bugger, here in India was selling Ubuntu for 3000 Rs.
He also gives discounts :P. 3000 Indian Rupees is around 60$.