PDA

View Full Version : What do you play in DOSbox?

muguwmp67
February 28th, 2007, 09:24 PM
One of the activities I enjoy most in linux is dusting off my 13 year old CD's and playing games that I haven't been able to play under windows in years.

Currently Loaded:
XCOM: UFO Defense
Jagged Alliance
Fallout

In queued state:
Master of Magic
Master of Orion
Crusader: No Remorse

FyreBrand
February 28th, 2007, 09:28 PM
I haven't had DOSbox installed for a little while but I play Betrayal at Krondor. I sometimes play older Ultimas but not to often now. Krondor and Planescape: Torment still rule my older game needs.

rolando2424
March 1st, 2007, 12:58 AM
Prince of Persia;
Blue Brothers II;
Wolfstein 3D;
Micro Machines;
Princess Maker 2:
Scorch (when I'm tired of playing Scorched 3D and Atomic Tanks);
and Speedball 2.

maagimies
March 1st, 2007, 01:36 AM
I prefer to use DosEmu instead of DosBox, as db likes to crunch a little too many cpu cycles from my computer. But when I do play I play Daggerfall.

leilei
March 1st, 2007, 01:51 AM
Blood
Various obscure shareware titles
Z

muguwmp67
March 1st, 2007, 02:04 AM
Wow....I think I remember Z, is that the RTS with the robots drinking in the cut scenes? If so, I gave mine away to a friend long ago....

unbuntu
March 1st, 2007, 03:38 AM
Syndicate and Syndicate:American Revolt...anyone?

deadlydeathcone
March 1st, 2007, 04:54 AM
Fallout! Thanks for that, it reminded me how much I really need to replay that gem.

Keeping in line with your list:

Currently Loaded:
Darklands
Master of Orion

In queued state:
Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny
Demon Winter

I recently tried Master of Magic of Magic for the first time, but I couldn't stick with it as I liked Dominions 3 (http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Illwinter/Dom3/1.htm) a bit more. Am I missing anything?

yabbadabbadont
March 1st, 2007, 07:55 AM
I haven't played with DOSbox in quite a while. It sounds like it is much more stable and usable now than when I last tried it. (couple years ago) Any special tips or hints on configuring it that I should be aware of? How good is it's joystick support? My MechWarrior series is just crying out to be played again. :D

MrHorus
March 1st, 2007, 09:03 AM
Wow, blast from the past!

I don't think I have played any X-COM games for years but I will need to dig them out.

DOSbox it's called, or dosemu?

/me will investigate when he gets home tonight

anaconda
March 1st, 2007, 09:32 AM
Warcraft2, wolf3d, duke2d, doom2, lemmings, supaplex, alone in the dark, dune2, ultima 5&6, commodore64 emulator..

I have found out that it is most easily used from nautilus.. by just rightclicking the .EXE file and selecting open with dosbox.
Some games need the cpu stepped upwards with Ctrl-F12 (quite many times) until cpu speed comes ~16000 when the default walue is 3000.. Some older games work best with cpu speed on just 625...

Dosbox and dosemu are 2 different programs..

Niko38752
March 1st, 2007, 10:39 AM
Commander keens (all of them), Stunts (awesome old 3d, uh, racing game?), Warcraft 2 and 1. Sometimes i play One Must Fall with dosemu (works too slowly in dosbox :( ).

I also play Doom 1 and 2 but I use prboom for them.

Erunno
March 1st, 2007, 11:59 AM
Darklands
Master of Orion

In queued state:
Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny

I'm surprised there are still people that remember classics like Realms of Arkania and Darklands (at least on this forum ;-) ). Those games were simply a work of genius. If you like Blade of Destiny you absolutely have to play Star Trail at least once, it's probably one of the best RPGs I know of (Shadows over Riva was only so-so).

*sigh* Remembering all those good games it makes me sick that FPS games like Oblivion are called RPGs these days and lauded as teh revolushn !111 of the genre. :-?

Ah, the good ol' days...

On topic:

Currently revived by DOSBox:

Albion
Death Gate
Eric the Unready
Realms of Arkania: Star Trail
UFO: Enemy Unknown
Ultima 6: The False Prophet

There's a windows version of Fallout which should run on Windows XP.

leilei
March 1st, 2007, 08:01 PM
dosbox != dosemu

oh btw keep your eyes peeled for tomorrow, possibly 0.66 release

muguwmp67
March 1st, 2007, 09:25 PM
I recently tried Master of Magic of Magic for the first time, but I couldn't stick with it as I liked Dominions 3 (http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Illwinter/Dom3/1.htm) a bit more. Am I missing anything?

I haven't played Dominion 3, but it doesn't look like its a fair comparison to MOM. I would characterize MOM as an insanely complex version of Civilization. It has a ton of replayability, but a bit of a hard learning curve.

There's a windows version of Fallout which should run on Windows XP.
Yup, but it doesn't run very well in my version of XP, even with its patches. I had problems with screen refreshes/redraws. I've found that a lot of old directx games don't seem to play with newer versions of directx very well.

I tried DOSbox and DOSemu, but found that DOSbox was a lot easier to configure, and had an easier time with gaming.

Is Realms of Arkania that RPG that got great reviews, but had the huge learning curve?

happy-and-lost
March 1st, 2007, 09:35 PM
Worms, reminds me of the days when me and my mates would all get together and huddle around a Win 3.11 to watch some lo-res, lo-colour Pink blobs be blown to bits.

Those were the days.

mrmonday
March 1st, 2007, 09:41 PM
:guitar: Thank you!!

I knew Ubuntu was missing something... I will install DOSBox now, I had it on XP a while back, but then my PC crashed, so I gave up. I have been playing mainly Legend of kyrandia 1 and 2. Do any of you know any other good games of this genre that I could get? If not do you know any other excellent never-fail-to-enjoy games? Thanks:D

By the way, which version do I need to download? These isn't one for Ubuntu specifically. How do I go about installing it?

muguwmp67
March 1st, 2007, 10:16 PM
:guitar: Thank you!!

I knew Ubuntu was missing something... I will install DOSBox now, I had it on XP a while back, but then my PC crashed, so I gave up. I have been playing mainly Legend of kyrandia 1 and 2. Do any of you know any other good games of this genre that I could get? If not do you know any other excellent never-fail-to-enjoy games? Thanks:D

By the way, which version do I need to download? These isn't one for Ubuntu specifically. How do I go about installing it?

There's a version of dosbox in the universe repository, dosemu and dosemu-freedos are there as well.

LucasArts made several good adventure games. Look for Grim Fandago, The Dig, and Full Throttle. From Sierra, The Leisure Suit Larry series was pretty funny, and so was the Space Quest series.

yabbadabbadont
March 2nd, 2007, 03:18 AM
There's a version of dosbox in the universe repository, dosemu and dosemu-freedos are there as well.

LucasArts made several good adventure games. Look for Grim Fandago, The Dig, and Full Throttle. From Sierra, The Leisure Suit Larry series was pretty funny, and so was the Space Quest series.

For the LucasArts games that used the SCUMM engine, (Sam & Max, Day of the Tentacle, etc) there is a native version for Linux that plays those games better than they did in DOS. Scummvm is the package.

zanglang
March 2nd, 2007, 03:44 AM
A modded version of an ancient 1996 chinese RPG called 金庸群俠傳... anyone heard of it? No? :p

yabbadabbadont
March 2nd, 2007, 03:56 AM
I forgot to ask earlier, which version(s) of Dosbox is everyone using?

muguwmp67
March 2nd, 2007, 06:54 AM
Version in universe repository is .65

DarkN00b
March 2nd, 2007, 07:31 AM
I use 0.65 to play mostly adventure games (Rex Nebular, Legend of Kyrandia, Ringworld), A little Wolf3d (with Wolfedit for some variety), and the Bard's Tale Construction Set.

I've got copies of the first Discworld game and the Xanth Companions game somewhere around here.

I'm always looking for more...

DirtDawg
March 2nd, 2007, 07:56 AM
(couple years ago) Any special tips or hints on configuring it that I should be aware of?

Oh, I LOVE this thread as I've been geeking out with the DosBox in my spare time.

Check this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=310069&highlight=dosbox) out for a couple very excellent performance tips.

Also, for those who haven't found it on their own, check out abandonia (http://www.abandonia.com/index2.php).

I've been playing:
Masters of Magic
Prince of Persia
Centurion
Lands of Lore
Star Trek 25th Anniversary and Judgement Rites

deadlydeathcone
March 2nd, 2007, 05:42 PM
I'm surprised there are still people that remember classics like Realms of Arkania and Darklands (at least on this forum ;-) ). Those games were simply a work of genius.

I can't speak for Arkania, but Darklands is such a good game - the setting alone is almost enough to sell it for me. Realy, how can anyone not like a game that took medieval German folklore at face value and made it just as real as everyone believed it to be? Satanic cults, corrupt bishops (I still remember the first time I laughed off their seemingly vapid threats of damnation and hellfire only to end up cursed), condemning people as witches, the detailed alchemy system, running into the most bizzare of things in the deep woods - all great, wonderfully presented stuff. Of course that's not even mentioning the great party creation or how completely open ended the whole thing is. A shame it sold so poorly that it never ended up with a proper sequel. A Darklands set in feudal Japan or old Europe would have been pretty interesting.

Yup, but it doesn't run very well in my version of XP, even with its patches. I had problems with screen refreshes/redraws. I've found that a lot of old directx games don't seem to play with newer versions of directx very well.

Wine might be the best bet at this point. (http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iAppId=70)

Is Realms of Arkania that RPG that got great reviews, but had the huge learning curve?

I haven't been playing it for very long so I might not have run into it yet (unless you're talking about the interface, which is terrible like pretty much every game from that period), but it's more insanely detailed than anything. I haven't played very many games with stats for Dancing, Carousing or Acrophobia :razz:

mrmonday
March 2nd, 2007, 07:02 PM
Does anyone know where DOSBox stores its files? I want to make a shortcut with the icon. or will I have to get it from windows?

Also if your looking for some old games google 'abandonware', various sites has nearly every game I can think of! I might post some later if I get time.

DarkN00b
March 2nd, 2007, 07:43 PM
Does anyone know where DOSBox stores its files? I want to make a shortcut with the icon. or will I have to get it from windows?

Also if your looking for some old games google 'abandonware', various sites has nearly every game I can think of! I might post some later if I get time.

Create a custom launcher like this attached pic at the bottom of this post.

The user configuration file can be placed in your home directory and must be called dosbox.conf. Here's mine as an example:

[sdl]
# fullscreen -- Start dosbox directly in fullscreen.
# fulldouble -- Use double buffering in fullscreen.
# fullfixed -- Don't resize the screen when in fullscreen.
#==== New in 0.63 replaces fullwidth/height ====
# fullresolution -- What resolution to use for fullscreen, use together with fullfixed.
# output -- What to use for output: surface,overlay,opengl,openglnb.
# hwscale -- Extra scaling of window if the output device supports hardware scaling.
# autolock -- Mouse will automatically lock, if you click on the screen.
# sensitiviy -- Mouse sensitivity.
# waitonerror -- Wait before closing the console if dosbox has an error.
#==== New 0.63 ====
# priority -- Priority levels for dosbox: lower,normal,higher,highest.
# Second entry behind the comma is for when dosbox is not focused/minimized.
# mapperfile -- File used to load/save the key/event mappings from.

fullscreen=false
fulldouble=false
fullfixed=false
fullresolution=1024x768
output=overlay
hwscale=1.00
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper.txt

[dosbox]
# language -- Select another language file.
# memsize -- Amount of memory dosbox has in megabytes.
# machine -- The type of machine tries to emulate:hercules,cga,tandy,vga.
#==== New in 0.63 ====
# captures -- Directory where things like wave,midi,screenshot get captured.

language=
machine=vga
captures=capture
memsize=16

[render]
# frameskip -- How many frames dosbox skips before drawing one.
# aspect -- Do aspect correction.
# scaler -- Scaler used to enlarge/enhance low resolution modes.
# Supported are none,normal2x,advmame2x,advmame3x,advinterp2x,inte rp2x,tv2x.

frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=normal2x

[cpu]
# core -- CPU Core used in emulation: simple,normal,full,dynamic(x66 only! NOT entirely STABLE).
# cycles -- Amount of instructions dosbox tries to emulate each millisecond.
# Setting this higher than your machine can handle is bad!
# cycleup -- Amount of cycles to increase/decrease with keycombo.
# cycledown Setting it lower than 100 will be a percentage.

core=normal
cycles=3000
cycleup=500
cycledown=20

[mixer]
# nosound -- Enable silent mode, sound is still emulated though.
# rate -- Mixer sample rate, setting any devices higher than this will
# probably lower their sound quality.
# blocksize -- Mixer block size, larger blocks might help sound stuttering
# but sound will also be more lagged.
#==== New in 0.63 ====
# prebuffer -- How many milliseconds of data to keep on top of the blocksize.

nosound=false
rate=22050
blocksize=2048
prebuffer=10

[midi]
# mpu401 -- Enable MPU-401 Emulation.
#==== New in 0.63 ====
# intelligent -- Operate in Intelligent mode.
# device -- Device that will receive the MIDI data from MPU-401.
# This can be default,alsa,oss,win32,coreaudio,none.
# config -- Special configuration options for the device.

mpu401=true
intelligent=true
device=oss
config=

[sblaster]
#==== Got completely rewritten in 0.63 ====
# type -- Type of sblaster to emulate:none,sb1,sb2,sbpro1,sbpro2,sb16.
# base,irq,dma,hdma -- The IO/IRQ/DMA/High DMA address of the soundblaster.
# mixer -- Allow the soundblaster mixer to modify the dosbox mixer.
# oplmode -- Type of OPL emulation: auto,cms,opl2,dualopl2,opl3.
# On auto the mode is determined by sblaster type.
# oplrate -- Sample rate of OPL music emulation.

type=sb16
base=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
mixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplrate=22050

[gus]
# gus -- Enable the Gravis Ultrasound emulation.
# base,irq1,irq2,dma1,dma2 -- The IO/IRQ/DMA addresses of the
# Gravis Ultrasound. (Same IRQ's and DMA's are OK.)
# rate -- Sample rate of Ultrasound emulation.
# ultradir -- Path to Ultrasound directory. In this directory
# there should be a MIDI directory that contains
# the patch files for GUS playback. Patch sets used
# with Timidity should work fine.

gus=true
rate=22050
base=240
irq1=5
irq2=5
dma1=3
dma2=3
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND

[speaker]
# pcspeaker -- Enable PC-Speaker emulation.
# pcrate -- Sample rate of the PC-Speaker sound generation.
# tandyrate -- Sample rate of the Tandy 3-Voice generation.
# Tandysound emulation is present if machine is set to tandy.
# disney -- Enable Disney Sound Source emulation.

pcspeaker=true
pcrate=22050
tandyrate=22050
disney=true

[bios]
# Nothing to setup yet!

[dos]
# xms -- Enable XMS support.
# ems -- Enable EMS support.

xms=true
ems=true

[modem]
# modem -- Enable virtual modem emulation.
# comport -- COM Port modem is connected to.
# listenport -- TCP Port the modem listens on for incoming connections.

modem=false
comport=2
listenport=23

[ipx]
#==== New in 0.63 ====
# ipx -- Enable ipx over UDP/IP emulation.

ipx=true

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
@echo off
cls
mount c /home/darkn00b/dosprog
mount a /home/darkn00b/dosprog/a
mount d /media/cdrom -t
c:
cls
echo OK

The [autoexec] section acts like the old autoexec.bat file in dos. It also allows you to mount virtual drives. As you can see I have drives c:\ (system) a:\ (floppy) and d:\ (CDROM) automatically mounted when I start dosbox.

muguwmp67
March 2nd, 2007, 07:44 PM
Wine might be the best bet at this point. (http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iAppId=70)

You are right. I was afraid to install wine because it sounded like getting it configured was nasty. I installed it though, and ran my windows version of Fallout. Worked like a charm. Not only does it run better than in DOSBox, but better than in Windows!

Cool! Now where are my planescape cd's?

I haven't been playing it for very long so I might not have run into it yet (unless you're talking about the interface, which is terrible like pretty much every game from that period), but it's more insanely detailed than anything. I haven't played very many games with stats for Dancing, Carousing or Acrophobia

Yup, thats the one that I was thinking of. I remember the reviews talking about the insane amount of detail in the game. I've been trying to remember the name of that one for a long time now, thanks!

Abandonware sites are good resources for these games if you can no longer located installable media. Googling is the better option though, I think the status of abandonware is grey enough that we should avoid linking to it from these forums.

I saw a few people post about various versions of X-Com. If you like X-com, I strongly suggest locating a copy of Jagged Alliance. It features the same kind of tactical turn-based gameplay, with a lot of personality. It had a really unappealing box, so I don't think it ever got the exposure it deserved. Jagged Alliance 2 is also a most excellent game.

DirtDawg
March 2nd, 2007, 08:08 PM
Abandonware sites are good resources for these games if you can no longer located installable media. Googling is the better option though, I think the status of abandonware is grey enough that we should avoid linking to it from these forums.

I'm afraid I don't see the logic here. It's okay to tell someone to search for "abandonware", but questionable to place links? Seems like splitting hairs to me.

SurR3AL
March 2nd, 2007, 08:19 PM
i used to play this game called cricket '97....awesome game it was too.....unfortunately m stuck with winXP now 4 some time.....any1 kno whether wit works wit ubuntu/dosbox?

check it out n download it here : http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?gameid=3861

:)

DirtDawg
March 3rd, 2007, 06:41 AM
Well well, speak o' the Devil. New Dosbox 0.70 (http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1) has just been released.

SurR3AL
March 3rd, 2007, 08:56 AM
hey is dosbox better than dosemu?

yabbadabbadont
March 3rd, 2007, 09:28 AM
Well well, speak o' the Devil. New Dosbox 0.70 (http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1) has just been released.

Already built and installed. :D

Now to see if I can get my joystick to work and, if so, to get MechWarrior 2 and 3 to play...

kevinlyfellow
March 3rd, 2007, 10:15 AM
I play Red Baron, in fact, I will play it now!

kevinlyfellow
March 3rd, 2007, 10:25 AM
i used to play this game called cricket '97....awesome game it was too.....unfortunately m stuck with winXP now 4 some time.....any1 kno whether wit works wit ubuntu/dosbox?

check it out n download it here : http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?gameid=3861

:)

just wanted to make sure you know that dosbox is also available for windows.

SurR3AL
March 3rd, 2007, 10:26 AM
ooh...thanks mate....will check it out rite now :D

edit:

just wanted to make sure you know that dosbox is also available for windows.
Its working like a breeze :) thanks mate!