PDA

View Full Version : Getting back to reality (Dell/linux related)

bastiegast
February 28th, 2007, 12:05 PM
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37893

Dell issued a statement today saying that it was not even close to installing the OS into any of its product ranges and that certifying the hardware for being ready to work with Novell SUSE Linux, was not the same thing.

There you have it. The amount of misinterpreted news already stunned me. Several serious news sites were concluding dell would surely be pre-installing linux within the next months. There even was a thread here that suggested dell would be pre-installing ubuntu within a year.

I won't say Dell never will. But they only said they were certifying desktops for linux with novell. It's just a first step, nothing was said about plans to preinstall linux.

Adamant1988
February 28th, 2007, 12:11 PM
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37893

There you have it. The amount of misinterpreted news already stunned me. Several serious news sites were concluding dell would surely be pre-installing linux within the next months. There even was a thread here that suggested dell would be pre-installing ubuntu within a year.

I won't say Dell never will. But they only said they were certifying desktops for linux with novell. It's just a first step, nothing was said about plans to preinstall linux.

Which anyone who actually read the release would have seen, but what this does do is give us hope.

bastiegast
February 28th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Yeah it does, absolutely. The second largest OEM taking linux seriously is quite an achievement.

Adamant1988
March 1st, 2007, 12:35 AM
Yeah it does, absolutely. The second largest OEM taking linux seriously is quite an achievement.

The certification is a huge thing, I expect they'll pull a "half way" like Lenovo. They won't install it, they'll give you the disk and the drivers and say "have fun".

SunnyRabbiera
March 1st, 2007, 12:53 AM
even a deal with novell is a sign, even with Novell a part of microsoft inc now :P

Adamant1988
March 1st, 2007, 12:55 AM
even a deal with novell is a sign, even with Novell a part of microsoft inc now :P

Don't Start.