PDA

View Full Version : Programming Linux Job

nick.inspiron6400
February 28th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Hello,

I would like to know it is possible to get a job in Linux with a degree in Java programming? What uses are Java for a company? In the UK IBM runs ALL the banks,ATM's and servers. My question is Online Banking been done in Java? Or is the best bet for a job in IT go to Windows???

Thanks

Nick,

Tomosaur
February 28th, 2007, 10:55 AM
A degree in Java programming would stand you in good stead for a Java programming job. Programming in Linux is possible with Java, since Java is platform independent (at least, it works on those platforms which have a java runtime environment).

Linux (the kernel) is (mostly) written in C and C++. If your job would involve kernel hacking, then you should probably pick up some C and/or C++ (C is probably the better choice, since the portion of the kernel written in C is larger). Languages like Java and Python can run on lots of different platforms. C and C++ can be compiled to run on different platforms, but the executables for Linux, for example, can not be run on Windows, and vice versa.

A good skill would be Linux shell programming/scripting, this is an area which is suited to Linux. Aside from that, pretty much any language will do. As long as the libraries/interpretors/compilers are available for Linux (which they normally are), you can use any language really, it just depends on what you're developing.

Java has lots of uses for a company, and it's one of the most common languages you'll find being used in-house. Not many commercial apps for desktop computers are available which were written in Java, but the vast, vast majority of software is not commercial anyway. Java has a readily available API, is platform independent, and speed to deployment is generally good, plus the skills are transferrable to other languages, so it's widely used. If you intend to write commercial programs, C/C++ are still probably your best bets, although D is becoming quite popular, it just lacks the vast array of libraries that C and C++ have.

Online Banking is very possible in Java - but as to whether it's widely used, you'll have to ask banks.

Most Linux jobs go to administrators and support staff. Programming skills are pretty much universal, unless, like I said, your job involves kernel hacking, in which case you'll need C.

nick.inspiron6400
February 28th, 2007, 03:16 PM
I appreciate your advice. I am going to do some research into Java and banks, then again no companies use Linux!!! Do they???

IBM is big in Linux i was told that, i am interested into programming since Windows 95.

Do IBM do Java programming jobs? Or what would be the best programming language for IBM.

Thanks,

Niko,

mips
February 28th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Hello,

I would like to know it is possible to get a job in Linux with a degree in Java programming?

Curious, how does one get a degree in Java programming ? Examples ?

Tomosaur
February 28th, 2007, 04:15 PM
I appreciate your advice. I am going to do some research into Java and banks, then again no companies use Linux!!! Do they???

IBM is big in Linux i was told that, i am interested into programming since Windows 95.

Do IBM do Java programming jobs? Or what would be the best programming language for IBM.

Thanks,

Niko,

Many companies use Linux, particularly on those which use servers. IBM do use Linux yes. They've even done a few Linux TV adverts. You can check out which jobs are available at IBM via their website: http://www.ibm.com.

Be warned though - a software developer should know a few languages, programming theory, debugging etc etc. Only knowing Java just isn't going to cut it - they'll expect you to be proficient in a few different languages.

azkehmm
February 28th, 2007, 04:26 PM
I'm not sure I understand your question correctly, but I just wanted to chip in with the fact that my e-banking things are java-based. At least it told me to install Java runtime enviroment when I tried to used it the first time :)

My Lost Shadow
February 28th, 2007, 04:41 PM
The Cisco Academy has a Java Programming Course and gives you a diploma. You cand find details here (http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/netacad/course_catalog/Java.html).

Besides this some Universities have special Computer Science Labs orientated to Java.

macogw
February 28th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Besides this some Universities have special Computer Science Labs orientated to Java.
Usually you have to learn a few other languages, discrete math stuff, operating system stuff, etc. I mean, Java only takes like 1 or 2 semesters to learn.

mips
February 28th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Usually you have to learn a few other languages, discrete math stuff, operating system stuff, etc. I mean, Java only takes like 1 or 2 semesters to learn.

Thats why i'm asking how can one get a degree in java ?

muguwmp67
February 28th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Depends on your options, but if you are going to University, you major in computer science, and take electives that focus on java.

Praill
February 28th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Getting a degree in java is probably a waste of money since http://java.sun.com will give you the equivilant for free.
I know, i know, its all about the peice of paper.

If you want to be a programmer for a living, make sure you go to a good university, that provides a solid 4 year or 5 year program. Getting a 2 year college degree in java programming renders you almost useless and at the back of the line with a million other low-grade developers.

macogw
February 28th, 2007, 09:28 PM
Thats why i'm asking how can one get a degree in java ?
Yeah, that's what I'm wondering too. It wouldn't be much of a degree if it's only a semester or two. For that matter, it can be reading one big thick Java book.

nick.inspiron6400
March 1st, 2007, 09:29 AM
Thanks for all your advice. I am not very good at math, so a major in computer science and then some electives that focus in Java. Might be the way to go?

My question was could i get a job with Linux in programming, otherwise i would of bought Windows Vista.

Nick.

Praill
March 1st, 2007, 01:16 PM
Thanks for all your advice. I am not very good at math, so a major in computer science and then some electives that focus in Java. Might be the way to go?

My question was could i get a job with Linux in programming, otherwise i would of bought Windows Vista.

Nick.

Software development (especially in java) is really platform independent. Ie. If you know c++, or python, its not going to change much from windows to linux. That being said, developing in linux is generally easier because of the free tools and tutorials. Windows programming will tempt you to use microsoft specific libraries and IDEs that cost lots of money and have poor documentation.
As I said above, your IDE (Integrated Development Environment) might change from platform to platfrom, and the libraries you use might be different (especially from windows to linux), but the experience essentially remians the same.

When you say you're "bad" in math, what do you mean? Are you bad at grasping the concepts, or just bad at number crunching?
Math is a very logical subject and if youre bad with algebra, trigonometry, and calculus (to a lesser extent) then you might have difficulties in becomming a professional software developer.

As for java programming. It can be quite easy, but creating anything that deviates much from the standard libraries , or uses a special plugin (like Advanced Imaging), can be difficult as java is higher level language. Youre much better off to gain a foundatory knowledge of C, then work your way to C++, and then give Java a whirl. This is the standard path they use in all comp sci courses I'm aware of that include java.

mips
March 1st, 2007, 01:32 PM

Well if you are a programmer you could program for any platform so I really don't see the issue.