PDA

View Full Version : Anyone poke around with Nexenta yet?

izanbardprince
February 28th, 2007, 08:53 AM
http://www.nexenta.com/

It's based on Ubuntu, but instead of the Linux kernel it uses Solaris.

I played around with it in a virtual machine, but didn't really get into it much.

Is Solaris compatible with Linux?

spockrock
February 28th, 2007, 08:58 AM
I downloaded it, I haven't gotten around to installing it.

izanbardprince
February 28th, 2007, 09:04 AM
I didn't want to install it because I really didn't feel like hosing my Ubuntu install or partitioning or anything, I don't really know what benefit there would be to using Solaris instead of Linux anyway, I know Solaris qualifies as UNIX under the Single UNIX Specification, but Linux is the de-facto standard pretty much anyway.

Bagboy23
February 28th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Sun Solaris is where it all began for me. :guitar:

Quillz
February 28th, 2007, 09:07 AM
What do you mean by compatible? I believe Solaris is a fully certified UNIX kernel, whereas Linux is only UNIX-like.

izanbardprince
February 28th, 2007, 09:10 AM
What do you mean by compatible? I believe Solaris is a fully certified UNIX kernel, whereas Linux is only UNIX-like.

Right, Linux is kind of off doing it's own thing, thats why FreeBSD needs a Linux compatibility layer, I was just wondering how interoperable Linux and Solaris would be.

Trespasser
March 7th, 2007, 03:01 AM
I've tried Nexenta Alpha 6 a month or two back. It uses Ubuntu Dapper Gnome as its OS but with a Solaris kernel. Installed fine but some of my hardware (like sound for instance) did not work and I found it extremely slow. It was interesting but you soon grow tired of all the problems you encounter. This distro has a long, long way to go before it will appeal to anyone. Alpha 7 test 1 is out. Will probably try it tomorrow to see if there are any improvements.

Later...

G Morgan
March 7th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Right, Linux is kind of off doing it's own thing, thats why FreeBSD needs a Linux compatibility layer, I was just wondering how interoperable Linux and Solaris would be.

Note that FreeBSD isn't a certified UNIX(r) either, it does not match up to the Single Unix Specification from The Open Group. Fact is both *BSD and Linux move to fast to justify consistent recertification. Each distro in Linux would have to be certified on it's own, for Ubuntu they would have to certify all the various branches and all the various releases in isolation. It just isn't viable so they don't even bother. Besides it is meaningless.

Also note that if you did follow the standard it doesn't guarantee binary compatibility in any case. The standard says little about the shape of the IVT. Without getting too technical Linux passes arguments to interrupts by setting a pre-defined register, BSD passes arguments by pushing the arguments onto the stack. This means you will never have out of the box binary compatibility with BSD and have to use a compatibility layer. The same would be true of certified Unix.

Sporkman
September 7th, 2007, 07:59 PM
I'm interested in how this thing plays out. The idea of having a choice of ubuntu with different kernels is an appealing idea.

urukrama
September 7th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Shouldn't this be in the "Other OS" forum?