PDA

View Full Version : IT/linux admin career possible?

fokuslee
February 28th, 2007, 07:28 AM
i recently graduated with BA in Bio and Applied Math but i want to get into the IT field, i am looking for interns or any entry level position but seems like I need to have a CS background i was wondering if certifications would do any good like MCSE, linux+, lamp ect or are they a waste of time. Is the only possible way to go back to school and get cs degree?
any general pointer is appreciated too

ps - i don't know if this is the approperate place to post this apoligies in advance.

maxamillion
February 28th, 2007, 07:33 AM
Most businesses want certifications to run IT and I think that might suffice, but many jobs would also like the ability to code or atleast script for servers so you might want to learn that on the side.

I am involved in a deployment of dSpace (http://www.dspace.org) and Ubuntu server install as a test case for my university (I am a student employed as a systems technician) and they are asking me to put together the credentials required of a full time Tech to run the server and the repository.... so to answer your topic question: Yes, its possible ... jobs are out there.

slayerboy
February 28th, 2007, 07:44 AM
I can say from personal experience, that certs are nice, but depends on the job market too. I got my A+ in 1999. They told me that I would have no problem finding a job. Took me until this past year to find a real job utilizing this cert.

I'm looking at going for a Network+ and Linux+ and it should be enough to get on the ground level. But again, depends on the area where you are.

We have one of the US's major tech schools, Rochester Institute of Technology, so the IT job market here is just a tiny bit tight. Not to mention Univeristy of Rochester, Roberts Weslyn College, SUNY Geneseo, SUNY Brockport, and Monroe Community College all in the same metro area.

As opposed to maybe a metro area with one or two colleges might be begging for IT and will take anything.

nick.inspiron6400
February 28th, 2007, 09:33 AM
I want to get a degree in Java and most likely another degree in the Linux operating system. Afterthat i would definetly like to work for IBM.

Nick.