PDA

View Full Version : Open Source Survey

lara1
February 28th, 2007, 04:22 AM
Hello

My name is Lara Thynne and I am a PhD candidate at Deakin University Australia.

I am currently running a survey at the following address.

https://dcarf.deakin.edu.au/surveys/oss/

The survey is completely confidential and looks at your views and motivations to use Open Source software and to participate in the community.

It will only take a few minutes and your contact details will not be recorded. You can withdraw your participation at any stage.

Thanks again

Lara

P.S The program that I am using is open source, of course (www.phpsurveyor.org)!

Nikron
February 28th, 2007, 04:54 AM
Kay, I filled it out for you, good luck. Was kinda surprised by the depression questions, but I guess it makes some sort of sense...

lara1
March 5th, 2007, 04:09 AM
Just refreshing this post to see if anyone else might be interested.

Thanks to those who may have responded.

Lara

tbodine
March 5th, 2007, 04:24 AM
Wow, that was pretty long, but I submitted it.
I was glad to help out :]

LookTJ
March 5th, 2007, 04:35 AM
Ok, I did it.

I've not worked on any OS Projects. I just like the freedom!:guitar:

23meg
March 5th, 2007, 04:38 AM
Done.

(Bug report: the "Close Window" button and link on the last page do not actually close the window. This is on Firefox 2.0.0.2.)

aysiu
March 5th, 2007, 05:08 AM
Interesting survey. Did not take anywhere near 10 minutes.

GameManK
March 5th, 2007, 05:18 AM
If you say "student," what's the how many hours at your job question referring to?

glotz
March 5th, 2007, 06:22 AM
Will the results be public?

aysiu
March 5th, 2007, 06:34 AM
Will the results be public?
I would take The survey is completely confidential to mean the results won't be published, but I would be curious to see what the results are.

adam.tropics
March 5th, 2007, 06:44 AM
Done. Interesting set of questions too.

lara1
March 5th, 2007, 07:07 AM
The data will be published, when that happens i will let you know on here.

Thanks to all who have responded and to those who are going to in advance.

Lara

Enigmus
March 5th, 2007, 07:12 AM
Not a bad little Survery. And at least it gave me something to do for a few minutes.

lara1
March 7th, 2007, 05:39 AM
I would take The survey is completely confidential to mean the results won't be published, but I would be curious to see what the results are.

I should have been more precise in my above posting.

I intend to provide a copy of the results online and send a link to anyone who may wish to view them, alternatively if there is enough interest i can post a link in this forum for anybody to view.

The survey is confidential in that there is nothing submitted by the respondent that is able to be linked back to them and thus their privacy remains.

thanks for your interest

Lara.

aysiu
March 7th, 2007, 05:42 AM
alternatively if there is enough interest i can post a link in this forum for anybody to view. Unless someone posts back here saying "God! Please don't post a link to the results. Please don't do it," I think it's safe to assume we're all interested in seeing a link posted in this thread. I'm looking forward to it, actually.

koenn
March 7th, 2007, 10:48 PM
I had a look at the survey but decided not to participate - I had 2 problems with it :

1- '"The results from this survey will help us better understand what motivates people to participate in the Open Source Community "
I feel I "participate in the OS community " by joining discussions and offering help in forums etc - but I can't say i'm actually "working on an open source project". All questions seem to be directed to people actively involved in specific projects ?

2- The multiple choice answer sets look incomplete - eg. question "What is your current profession?"
What if my profession is not listed : I can choose between 'Other (IT) and 'No answer". "Other (non-IT)" is not an option ?

I'd be interested to see the results - if only to see what you were actually investigating and what conclusions you draw from these questions.