PDA

View Full Version : Best place to download music?

67GTA
February 27th, 2007, 10:11 PM
I have started my music collection with Amarock and want to start downloading music. I have never used any of the music download sites. Please list your favorite.

K.Mandla
February 27th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Jamendo (http://www.jamendo.com)!

maniacmusician
February 27th, 2007, 10:12 PM
I have started my music collection with Amarock and want to start downloading music. I have never used any of the music download sites. Please list your favorite.
CDs. That you buy. And pay for. And get without DRM.

ruz322
February 27th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Definitely frostwire.

Spr0k3t
February 27th, 2007, 10:14 PM
<homer-drool>DRM</homer-drool>

Go for the paid sites... the ones that support the bands directly. Oh wait, they don't exist.

mysticrider92
February 27th, 2007, 10:24 PM

Yeah, get an account with bmg music (http://www.bmgmusic.com/acq/test/43/b/) and get really cheap cd's without DRM.:D

rolando2424
February 27th, 2007, 11:14 PM
There was a site where you could download some musics that where set for download by their creators...

The problem is that is probably not the music you're after :D

Brunellus
February 27th, 2007, 11:17 PM
There was a site where you could download some musics that where set for download by their creators...

The problem is that is probably not the music you're after :D
but that's a blessing, not a curse.

Also, archive.org has a large collection of music.

muguwmp67
February 27th, 2007, 11:29 PM
My favorite pay site has been www.emusic.com for many years. But I am into more independent/underground artists than current hits. There was a time when you could get an unlimited download subscription from them, but alas that is no more. I'd estimate that 20-30% of the music I have on my hard drive came from them.

After that, I would go with buying CD's directly. You can rip to the formats you want at the bitrates you want, and you won't lose them if you have a hard drive crash.

BWF89
February 27th, 2007, 11:35 PM
If your looking for only legal stuff: http://www.legittorrents.info/

maniacmusician
February 28th, 2007, 12:01 AM

*snip*
Isohunt probabl indexes all of those :)

rai4shu2
February 28th, 2007, 12:04 AM
Used CDs from Amazon FTW.

67GTA
February 28th, 2007, 12:20 AM
Actually I meant pay sites. I have never really been big on file sharing. My collection I was refering to was my cd collection. I was thinking itunes or the like. I have heard that itunes downloads can not be converted, so I was wanting to get opinions on where to go.

67GTA
February 28th, 2007, 12:21 AM
Actually I meant pay sites. I have never really been big on file sharing. My collection I was refering to was my cd collection. I was thinking itunes or the like. I have heard that itunes downloads can not be converted, (I don't have an ipod) so I was wanting to get opinions on where to go.

manmower
February 28th, 2007, 12:24 AM
Haha, way to post illegal content guys.

Anyway, I agree with buying cd's and ripping them being the best method.

bionnaki
February 28th, 2007, 12:42 AM
www.emusic.com is great...the artists receive a pretty fair share of compensation

TheRingmaster
February 28th, 2007, 01:50 AM
amarok integrates with magnatune. The good part is that you get to pick your price. The bad part is that the lowest it will go is $5.

marcus2004
February 28th, 2007, 02:14 AM
Another vote for Jamendo. It is based on donations so you can download and listen to the music (no DRM) and if you like it you donate. The donation is split between the artist and the site. I have found some good music on there.

lonce
February 28th, 2007, 02:54 AM
Kind of off topic, but I have a question for you all.

My business partner and I were talking about maybe starting a website based around music without DRM.

What I mean is this. Lets say you have a band that is not signed. You go to our site. Create a profile and upload your album. You set what ever price you want to sell it for. We take 15% of every sale for running the site, you keep the rest.

The people coming to the site, get to buy music, allot cheaper than in the stores, with no DRM what so ever.

What do you all think?

bobbybobington
February 28th, 2007, 03:38 AM
allofmp3.com

Get cd's from libraries or go to a local cd shop and make some trades, and rip to lossless audio.

SishGupta
February 28th, 2007, 03:52 AM
*shifty eyes*
oink
*vanish*

In the distance you can hear the wind howling. It sounds like its singing "Yo ho yo ho a pirates life for me!"

bionnaki
February 28th, 2007, 04:06 AM
yeah, torrents/p2p is an option, but there actually are artists who could use your financial support. so that's why people should pay.

SishGupta
February 28th, 2007, 05:31 AM
yeah, torrents/p2p is an option, but there actually are artists who could use your financial support. so that's why people should pay.

90% of the time I'll buy the CD of music I like if the artist is independent because the artist gets the profit.
On a major music label the artist can receive as little as 1/20th of the cost of the cd. I choose not to fund this sort of arrangement. I do however see my listening to this music as beneficial for the artist as it motivates me to see them live where they get a much larger cut of the profit.

Whether I am wrong or not about this is for me to decide.
This is the last "grey" area that I dabble in.
I have stopped pirating software because of FOSS and I am very proud of it. I have gone from all illegal software to none.
If only music took a FOSS route...

Polygon
February 28th, 2007, 05:36 AM
Kind of off topic, but I have a question for you all.

My business partner and I were talking about maybe starting a website based around music without DRM.

What I mean is this. Lets say you have a band that is not signed. You go to our site. Create a profile and upload your album. You set what ever price you want to sell it for. We take 15% of every sale for running the site, you keep the rest.

The people coming to the site, get to buy music, allot cheaper than in the stores, with no DRM what so ever.

What do you all think?

you might just want to start a new topic about that since it is kinda off topic to this current one :D

banjobacon
February 28th, 2007, 06:47 AM
A few days ago, I noticed that Yep Roc's online store (https://store.yeproc.com) lets you download their albums if you purchase the physical CD or LP through them (or you can just buy the MP3s, which is cheaper). The convenience and immediacy of MP3s, plus ownership of a physical product. Seems like a good idea to me.

I discovered the store through my purchase of the new Apples in Stereo CD, which came with an access code for some free songs. This included the latest You Am I album in its entirety. Pretty cool.

izanbardprince
February 28th, 2007, 08:40 AM
allofmp3.com

Get cd's from libraries or go to a local cd shop and make some trades, and rip to lossless audio.

Allofmp3.com is a pirate mp3 site operating in Russia.

If you want to send your credit card info to someone in Russia and pay to have broken US copyright law anyway, more power to you.

awakatanka
February 28th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Allofmp3.com is a pirate mp3 site operating in Russia.

If you want to send your credit card info to someone in Russia and pay to have broken US copyright law anyway, more power to you.
Creditcard company blocked the payment,because RIAA says its illegal, this site pays to the counter part of RIAA in russia but that organisation isn“t paying enough to the feeling of RIAA and RIAA refuse the payments. Because of that RIAA and others say it a illegal site. It isn“t a illegal in russia they sell music in the bondery“s of russian law and pay a amount of money from every mp3 they sell to a counter part of RIAA. If RIAA want to attack someone they need to attack the counter part of RIAA in russia. USA can“t force there law on to other country“s.

[ontopic] Best is rip a cd you bought and make it a ogg file., there not many sites with all kind of music that support drm free files.

xyz
February 28th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Another vote for Jamendo. It is based on donations so you can download and listen to the music (no DRM) and if you like it you donate. The donation is split between the artist and the site. I have found some good music on there.
...and one more vote for Jamendo.
Also:
Ourmedia (http://www.ourmedia.org/)

forcesofhabit
February 28th, 2007, 12:25 PM
I'm going to recommend emusic.com again.
It has a really great selection, DRM-free, and it's cheap.

ice60
February 28th, 2007, 02:08 PM
i pay for all my music by buying blank cds, at least i think i do anyway - i think here in england there's a tax on blank cds that goes to the music industry. i mainly use frostwire and nicotine-plus for music downloads. you can also find lots of music with this google search -

-inurl:htm -inurl:html intitle:"index of" mp3|ogg|wma|avi|wav "artist name" try it :)

you can get music that's not DRMed from magnatune (you pay whatever you think it's worth, i think) -
http://www.magnatune.com/genres/

EDIT this might be a better search -

-inurl:(htm|html|php) intitle:"index of" +(mp3|ogg|wma|avi|wav) "artist name"

izanbardprince
February 28th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Creditcard company blocked the payment,because RIAA says its illegal, this site pays to the counter part of RIAA in russia but that organisation isn“t paying enough to the feeling of RIAA and RIAA refuse the payments. Because of that RIAA and others say it a illegal site. It isn“t a illegal in russia they sell music in the bondery“s of russian law and pay a amount of money from every mp3 they sell to a counter part of RIAA. If RIAA want to attack someone they need to attack the counter part of RIAA in russia. USA can“t force there law on to other country“s.

[ontopic] Best is rip a cd you bought and make it a ogg file., there not many sites with all kind of music that support drm free files.

Well, it would be illegal for you to buy them in the USA, Canada, most of Europe, and anywhere else that respects intellectual property laws.

And while I may not agree with the RIAA's business practices, stealing from a scumbag doesn't make stealing OK, if you're going to use something, you ought to just pay up for it.

That said, that Russian organization really has no legitimate claim to any of the music they're stealing, and the RIAA and the artists here probably get jack squat for it.

My point is that if you want to pirate music, you might as well have downloaded it for free vs paying that Russian website.

Anyway, the credit card company has no business interest in helping to finance your criminal activities, and were well within their rights to stop payment.

izanbardprince
February 28th, 2007, 04:12 PM
I'm going to recommend emusic.com again.
It has a really great selection, DRM-free, and it's cheap.

This is just my opinion, but there's usually a reason when artists are unsigned.

izanbardprince
February 28th, 2007, 04:15 PM
i pay for all my music by buying blank cds, at least i think i do anyway - i think here in england there's a tax on blank cds that goes to the music industry.

Thats cause the recording industry lobbyists have succeeded in passing moer BS laws there than in the US, which is saying something.

Anyway, it would be interesting to see that defense in court.

"Your honor, I already paid the RIAA more than enough by buying blank CD's that weren't even used to pirate anything, therefore by downloading said music, I feel I was well within my rights to get something back for their state-sponsored theft of my money."

bonzodog
February 28th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Well, I use http://allofmp3.com , http://mp3sugar.com , and http://www.emusic.com

I know two of those are arguably, possibly illegal, although it depends on what news outlet you listen to, as they are Russian sites, but, I'm in Europe so US law has no bearing on this to me anyway.

Sorry, but I have NO respect for the US, it's government, or the RIAA/MPAA. I know someone in these forums who has actually had them removed from the UK.

I vowed NEVER to cross US borders until the current administration is booted out, and the US relaxes it's position a bit in the world sphere.

izanbardprince
February 28th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Well, I use http://allofmp3.com , http://mp3sugar.com , and http://www.emusic.com

I know two of those are arguably, possibly illegal, although it depends on what news outlet you listen to, as they are Russian sites, but, I'm in Europe so US law has no bearing on this to me anyway.

Sorry, but I have NO respect for the US, it's government, or the RIAA/MPAA. I know someone in these forums who has actually had them removed from the UK.

I vowed NEVER to cross US borders until the current administration is booted out, and the US relaxes it's position a bit in the world sphere.

So if you went through the time and trouble and expense of writing software, making a compilation of songs, or acting in a movie, how would you feel if someone stole your work, sold it for profit, and didn't pay you?

rai4shu2
February 28th, 2007, 06:34 PM
I once went through years of writing software that was later stolen by hackers, and it pissed me off, but you deal with it. That's life.

At the end of the day it isn't hackers who are taking your paycheck but big corporations like Microsoft.

lyceum
February 28th, 2007, 08:43 PM
allofmp3.com

you stole mine! but, here is the link:

http://allofmp3.com/

Very low prices, no DRM's, great quality, no weird things you get from frostwire, like the sound being off etc...

geekgod
February 28th, 2007, 09:02 PM
2 words, Google and firefox...

muguwmp67
February 28th, 2007, 09:12 PM
This is just my opinion, but there's usually a reason when artists are unsigned.
<gets on soapbox>
Um....the artists on emusic ARE signed artists.

They may not be signed to labels that make it into the top 40 playlists, but IMO this is generally a good thing.

Some labels:
SST, 4AD, Fantasy/Stax, Touch and Go

Some artists on emusic:
Black Flag, Flogging Molly, Cocteau Twins, Creedence Clearwater Revival, John Coltrane, Tom Waits, Sonic Youth

What they don't have (I hope, I haven't looked honestly) is pap like 'Sister Christian', 'Turn around Bright Eyes', 'Wind Beneath my Wings', or the latest american idol winner. Personally, I think if this is the music you want to listen to, then you fully deserve DRM.
<steps down>

tom717
February 28th, 2007, 11:16 PM
i pay for all my music by buying blank cds, at least i think i do anyway - i think here in england there's a tax on blank cds that goes to the music industry.
I don't think there is such a tax in the UK
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_copying_levy
http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2006/04/06/call_to_end_copyright_levies/
"Today, [in the EU] only the UK, Ireland, Luxembourg, Cyprus and Malta do not impose copyright levies on blank media and digital recording devices."

olejorgen
March 1st, 2007, 05:20 AM
It's really ridicoulus (spelling?) that no good no-drm paysite exsist. RIAA is shooting themself in their foot. (If I understand correctly itunes is more or less ipod only)

emusic seems pretty good, but I does not fit their subscription model. I'm a very casual music listener / buyer, and although I could stop / start the supscription I think this is too much of a hassle.

I would more than gladly pay a fitting price (30/40 cents sounds about right) for legal properly tagged music from a service with a large range and good search functionallity. Unfortuatly this does not exsist, so I'm basically forced to pirate. CDs is not a good option for me either. Mostly because:
- It's unconvenient for me to go to CD stores
- It's extra labour ripping the songs
- It's a ******* waste when I'll never use the actual cd anyway
- It's expensive, especially when I'm interested in only one or two songs.

allofmp3 seems to fit my bill, but as pointed out, not much of the money, if any, go to the artist. (Correct me if I'm wrong here)

bionnaki
March 1st, 2007, 05:27 AM
90% of the time I'll buy the CD of music I like if the artist is independent because the artist gets the profit.

and the 10% of the time, you're taking money out of their pockets. you do realize that independent artists tend to put up ALOT of their own money in recording, mixing, mastering, pressing, artwork, and distribution?

On a major music label the artist can receive as little as 1/20th of the cost of the cd.

yes, but they also receive tens of thousands of dollars (at the minimum) upon signing their contract. And if they dont sell records, the label will often drop them. believe me, I know plenty about record contracts from personal experience.

bionnaki
March 1st, 2007, 05:28 AM

emusic is not unsigned artists.

bionnaki
March 1st, 2007, 05:30 AM
<gets on soapbox>
Um....the artists on emusic ARE signed artists.

They may not be signed to labels that make it into the top 40 playlists, but IMO this is generally a good thing.

Some labels:
SST, 4AD, Fantasy/Stax, Touch and Go

Some artists on emusic:
Black Flag, Flogging Molly, Cocteau Twins, Creedence Clearwater Revival, John Coltrane, Tom Waits, Sonic Youth

What they don't have (I hope, I haven't looked honestly) is pap like 'Sister Christian', 'Turn around Bright Eyes', 'Wind Beneath my Wings', or the latest american idol winner. Personally, I think if this is the music you want to listen to, then you fully deserve DRM.
<steps down>

:) +1

ice60
March 1st, 2007, 01:51 PM
I don't think there is such a tax in the UK
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_copying_levy
http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2006/04/06/call_to_end_copyright_levies/
"Today, [in the EU] only the UK, Ireland, Luxembourg, Cyprus and Malta do not impose copyright levies on blank media and digital recording devices."
thanks, i'm not really sure why i said that though, because we are free to download music anyway, it's just not allowed to let people upload from your computer in england.

TheRingmaster
March 1st, 2007, 05:31 PM
+1 for limewire.

jcconnor
March 3rd, 2007, 08:17 PM
and the 10% of the time, you're taking money out of their pockets. you do realize that independent artists tend to put up ALOT of their own money in recording, mixing, mastering, pressing, artwork, and distribution?

yes, but they also receive tens of thousands of dollars (at the minimum) upon signing their contract. And if they dont sell records, the label will often drop them. believe me, I know plenty about record contracts from personal experience.

Yeah but don't the "signed" artists working for the major labels put ALOT of their own money in the recording, mixing, mastering, pressing, artwork, and distribution? I mean, sure, the label fronts that money but isn't it "recoupable"? Which means the label takes the money back out of the sales of the CD's? Aren't the labels just basically loaning the money to the artist? So, the independent guys are putting up their own money on the front end but aren't they recouping a significantly higher share of the money on the back end?

stokedfish
March 3rd, 2007, 09:44 PM
DC++ is the best!

Second best is Soulseek, third best are private bit torrent communities such as oink.

But yeah, slsk with a good buddylist and DC++ on private hubs are the bestest... ;)

ButteBlues
March 3rd, 2007, 09:56 PM
*shifty eyes*
oink
*vanish*

In the distance you can hear the wind howling. It sounds like its singing "Yo ho yo ho a pirates life for me!"
Ditto.

stokedfish
March 3rd, 2007, 10:02 PM
Pirate?

1. Downloading is legal in my country
2. I buy like twice as many albums since I've started downloading music

And in case of "emergency" - hd encryption is your friend... ;)

rocknrolf77
March 4th, 2007, 04:04 AM
My vote goes for www.jamendo.com Lots of good music starting from the price of zero and ending at the price of zero. If you like the music you donate. If you don't like the music you don't donate and you don't listen to it either. Drm? :)

tbodine
March 4th, 2007, 07:36 AM

I second that!
My iPod(yes, I know...) is currently full of free French punk-rock! All thanks to Jamendo!

indiechixor
December 11th, 2007, 02:29 PM
8bitpeoples.com

^__^ If you like chiptunes. All free for download

TeraDyne
December 11th, 2007, 02:44 PM
I also support Jamendo (http://www.jamendo.com/). At least give them a try.

BTW, if you do go to Jamendo, I suggest anything by "Fresh Body Shop" or "t r y ^ d".

mango.muncher
February 26th, 2008, 02:32 AM
www.broadjam.com

igknighted
February 26th, 2008, 03:32 AM
amazon is DRM free and has bands people have heard of

biztyke
April 22nd, 2008, 10:18 PM
I've been using hyooge.com and tuneorb.com and they keep getting better. new links are added daily i think and i can find what i'm looking for most of the time. anyone else use these? any other sites you guys can recommend?

biz.

TheRingmaster
April 25th, 2008, 05:40 PM
amazon is DRM free and has bands people have heard of

highly second this option as amazon has a linux downloader now.

Saya
April 25th, 2008, 05:44 PM
iTunes Music Store. Reliable, fast, cheap.

intense.ego
April 25th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Not sure about the legality (feel free to remove my post if there is anything wrong), but I have found this to be very useful: http://skreemr.com Granted, it doesn't have very obscure music, but anything I have searched on it, I have found. It is also of generally good quality. It is designed for people to just listen to, but it is possible to download as well. In this respect it is similar to youtube; you can watch the music videos for free, but you can't download it and keep it. I assume it works in much the same way as the "search on Google" method someone mentioned earlier.

Nano Geek
April 25th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Most likely been said before, but I really like Amazon's MP3 service.

No DRM and high-quality MP3's with a nice selection.

tigerplug
April 26th, 2008, 02:12 AM
The Pirate Bay

gletob
August 15th, 2008, 04:12 AM
I'm lazy and didn't read the whole thread but Amazon MP3 and limewire are my preferred methods Oh BTW I think emusic sucks (I like top 40)

skribbulz
August 21st, 2008, 10:52 PM
Definitely frostwire.

Nice, just what I was looking for(:

MethodOne
August 22nd, 2008, 12:14 AM
There are some other music download services listed at the FSF's DefectiveByDesign.org anti-DRM campaign, in addition to Amazon:
http://www.defectivebydesign.org/guide

cardinals_fan
August 22nd, 2008, 12:32 AM
Musopen (http://www.musopen.com/)
Peabody Concert Orchestra (http://www.peabody.jhu.edu/pcorecordings)

MusicGuy101
October 30th, 2008, 05:37 PM
I think it depends on a few facotrs, the most important being how much music you download regularly.

There are pay-per-song and album sites which are great for people download small amounts of songs / month (exmaple an album's worth max). In that case you can check out Amazon, Buy, iTunes, WalMart, even Rhapsody started one up not too long ago.

For anyone downloading more than that, what you need that will save you plenty of money is a music subscription site where you would usually pay a monthly subscription fee ($10-$15) and you get to listen to as much music as you want from their libraries of millions of songs which will have everything you can think of. For that, look into Napster and Rhapsody.

eMusic is awesome too but as was already mentioned, they don't carry top 40 artists.

If you are really interested in finding the right download site, check out my site (Compare Music Download Sites) in my signature. I update reviews regularly, rate everything from ease of use to customer service for each, and plenty more.

Hope this helps!

Georgia boy
November 28th, 2008, 02:25 AM
Don't know if any here has tried this one but I have gotten quite a few free mp3's from here. Used to be under CNet.com but now Cnet had revamped and it is music.download.com, Some great music there and all kinds of genre!!!

Check it out. I'm always telling friends and family about that site.

Tom

sharon.gmc
November 28th, 2008, 02:32 AM
I have been using frostwire and I love it!

init1
November 28th, 2008, 05:04 AM
Streamripping. It's slow (5 hours of streamripping gives you 5 hours of music) but it's non-interactive.

AlphaMack
November 28th, 2008, 05:46 AM
Beatport.

tansui
December 19th, 2008, 12:43 PM
i think Download Any Stuff (http://downloadanystuff.org) is a cool place to download mp3

I-75
December 19th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Magnatune

http://www.magnatune.com/

billgoldberg
December 19th, 2008, 03:30 PM

Any torrent site for albums, frostwire or nicotine plus for singles.

Youtube is great to download songs from too.

Just install pytube (getdeb.net) and you can download any youtube vid as an mp3 file.

bonzodog
December 19th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Ok, gonna update the links a bit;

http://www.7digital.com --Legal site, mp3's have no DRM, wma's do.
http://www.mp3sugar.com
http://www.mp3fiesta.com

Last two are russian.

blakjesus
December 19th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Amazon.com

+ DRM-free music
+ music downloader is linux compatible
+ option to download songs instead of albums

- not integrated into music player (as far as i know)

Thats where i get my music from. :)

halovivek
December 19th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Tamil music? where i can download

derekr44
December 19th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Amazon.com

+ DRM-free music
+ music downloader is linux compatible
+ option to download songs instead of albums

- not integrated into music player (as far as i know)

Thats where i get my music from. :)

+1 Amazon is great with their native Linux downloader.

zmjjmz
December 19th, 2008, 06:27 PM
ctgmusic.com Is also great.
I've gotten a lot of my music from other places too, including Jamendo, 8bitpeoples, archive.org, and tapegerm.com

bp1509
December 19th, 2008, 07:42 PM
d

Bateluer
December 19th, 2008, 09:41 PM
i like amazon but i don't know if the installer works in linux. it's all non drm though and 99 cents a song. if you don't want to pay i suggest frostwire just don't go downloading music that looks like it's too small of a file

Amazon MP3 installer does work under linux, has for a while. Initially it did not support full album downloads, but that has been resolved.

pastalavista
December 19th, 2008, 09:50 PM
I use a specially modified Google search. (http://www.jimmyr.com/mp3.php)

blakjesus
December 19th, 2008, 09:50 PM
i like amazon but i don't know if the installer works in linux. it's all non drm though and 99 cents a song. if you don't want to pay i suggest frostwire just don't go downloading music that looks like it's too small of a file

It does work for linux. They even have a .deb for ubuntu and debian and an .rpm for fedora and others.

Although if you are using 64-bit, you have to mess around with getlibs. They only have a 32-bit version.

IB1Dance
January 1st, 2009, 01:45 PM
http://www.tribalmixes.com excellent for all genre of dance ( move too ) music .

http://www.jamendo.com << open source music ;-)

Half-Left
January 1st, 2009, 03:00 PM
Jamendo ands Megnatune, your looking about 70,000 tracks just on these and you can play them free.

doorknob60
January 1st, 2009, 10:28 PM
Amazon MP3. It's selection is just as good as iTunes, but no DRM and Linux support, yay!

topmusic1
January 7th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Hi there,

I think the best site to download music (for free) is www.20topsongs.com
They publish weekly top 20 singles charts. You can play and download each song, watch related videos and get lyrics.

RATM_Owns
January 7th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Hi there,

I think the best site to download music (for free) is www.20topsongs.com
They publish weekly top 20 singles charts. You can play and download each song, watch related videos and get lyrics.
Well since you obviously seem like a user that comes here regularly and very much only seem like a user of that site and not a spambot, I guess I'll visit...not. >_>

topmusic1
January 7th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Yesss, I'm not a spambot; spambots do not eat Popocorns :popcorn: :D:D:D

kyalee
January 7th, 2009, 03:47 AM

I have a decent music collection (music geeks would scoff, but it suits my needs) built almost entirely on the thrift store and record stores bargain bins. Rip them to your computer and you're good to go. No mucking about with downloading or torrents and you still get the satisfaction of knowing that the RIAA didn't get a cut of your money. ;)

strangelymade
January 7th, 2009, 04:00 AM
Been reading this thread with interest, but have to ask what is DRM?

y6FgBn)~v
January 7th, 2009, 04:02 AM
amazon mp3. It's selection is just as good as itunes, but no drm and linux support, yay!

+1

kyalee
January 8th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Been reading this thread with interest, but have to ask what is DRM?

DRM = Digital Rights Management. I will refrain from expressing my sentiments on the issue and instead point you to Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

thefiremedia
January 11th, 2009, 02:20 PM
The best is to use Mediafire as it's fast!!!

I would like to recommend my site,
http://thefiremedia.blogspot.com/

Teabicky
February 3rd, 2009, 01:22 AM
It has already been mentioned but 7digital.com comes very highly recommended from me. I use it all the time.

Mayy
February 13th, 2009, 04:27 PM
And I prefer to download music by means of one of raoidshare search engines - http://rapid4me.com/ . This site is not entirely musical, but contains lots of nice music of good quality!

pol666
February 13th, 2009, 05:20 PM
for who speaks spanish (or not)
www.taringa.net

It's a linksharing site with a millon a users, movies, ebooks, music, etc.

ArtF10
February 13th, 2009, 06:25 PM

This seems like a GREAT site for FREE And LEGAL (mp3 downloadable) music.

Do they only have unsigned artists? What's the catch?

PS. www.jamendo.com is INCREDIBLY slow at loading!!!

EDIT: I searched the name "Avril Lavigne" and it gave "No Results".

EDIT2: I searched for Paradise City and it gave "No Results".

lyceum
February 15th, 2009, 07:55 PM
This seems like a GREAT site for FREE And LEGAL (mp3 downloadable) music.

Do they only have unsigned artists? What's the catch?

PS. www.jamendo.com is INCREDIBLY slow at loading!!!

EDIT: I searched the name "Avril Lavigne" and it gave "No Results".

EDIT2: I searched for Paradise City and it gave "No Results".

The catch is that all of the music must be Creative Commons. I have been addicted to Jamendo for 8 months now, in the last month they changed their site and things have been a little... odd. I am hoping they will be fixing it soon. You will not find many, if any, pop artists as their music is not CC. I must say though that I have stopped listening to radio gaga now that I found this site. The artists may not be on MTV, but that does not make them second rate by any means.

ArtF10
February 15th, 2009, 08:02 PM
That explains a lot.

Kingsley
February 15th, 2009, 08:36 PM
The best is to use Mediafire as it's fast!!!

I would like to recommend my site,
http://thefiremedia.blogspot.com/
The music selection on your site sucks.

T2manner
February 15th, 2009, 08:59 PM
If you have an Ipod I'd say stick with iTunes.
iTunes is going to take DRM off all their music soon.
I read it on pcmag.

gaffurabi
March 15th, 2009, 04:55 PM
if one is into metal: bunalti.com

slow site and needs rapidshare account but worth it

kidux
March 15th, 2009, 05:06 PM
+1 for Jamendo. So many great artists freely distributing their music in the true FOSS spirit.

linkel4u
March 15th, 2009, 09:12 PM
I, from personal experience have only used MP3 On Click. It's great! And cheap! You pay just under $50 for a LIFETIME! How cool is that! They've never fee'd me or charged me and they also have a guarantee that if you're not satisfied within the first 8 weeks you can cancel at anytime! That's just awesomeness!

Here's the link!

http://linkel4u.mp3onclick.hop.clickbank.net/

loveandequality
June 14th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Jamendo

simpleviolet
June 17th, 2009, 11:07 AM
MPfree.com provide free music downloads, for your participation. Their offers do not require a credit card or purchase, and are easy as, printing a free coupon, completing a survey or requesting free product information.
http://www.free-samples-offers.com/free-...

The Freebies Blog is a great site, updated daily and has a free music section:
http://0rz.com/?tYE7B

Free iTunes Download List:
http://www.itsfreedownloads.com/

-Rick-
June 17th, 2009, 11:11 AM
http://www.hybridized.org/

White Rasta
June 17th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Most likely been said before, but I really like Amazon's MP3 service.

No DRM and high-quality MP3's with a nice selection.

Yeah I agree
I like some of the old stuff, and I'm findin' it there
and in just a few clicky clicks, Im listening to tunes

I also rip cd's to mp3, and am very anal about the track tags, if ya gonna do somthin', do it right

ricardisimo
June 17th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Usenet newsgroups. Giganews is the best service.

Therion
June 17th, 2009, 06:42 PM
The music selection on your site sucks.
Dude, get to the point!

starcannon
June 17th, 2009, 06:49 PM
doh, nm.

orich
July 21st, 2009, 05:23 PM
Hey,

I was looking at this new datz music lounge and it looked really good. Unlimited downloads for £99.99!! The reviews checked out so I went through the checkout and when I got to the point where I had to put in my card details the price had actually dropped to £19.99. I just bought it and have only been charged that price, there must be some kind of error on the website.

Here the link to the website: www.datz.com' (http://www.datz.com')
and the music lounge: www.datz.com/musicloungepromo (http://www.datz.com/musicloungepromo) follow this link and click on buy it.

I love it when this happens!!!http://images.moneysavingexpert.com/images/forum_images/smilies/biggrin.gif

mamamia88
July 21st, 2009, 05:41 PM
amazon is good but i hate having to install stupid client to download from them. personally i buy cheap cds used on ebay and rip them much better quality then downloading

Jackelope
September 23rd, 2009, 07:18 PM
The Last Ripper:

http://code.google.com/p/thelastripper/downloads/list

Get a Last.Fm account. Then start the ripper when you go to sleep with your favorite artist or tag, and wake up to a HDD full of music. And yes, according to supreme court this is legal as long as you only use it to rip the radio portion of the site.

Streamtuner is also a great way to pick up some free tunes. Also legal.

OpenGuard
October 8th, 2009, 11:53 PM

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.legittorrents.info.

Misspelled URL ?

starcannon
October 8th, 2009, 11:55 PM
For Commercial Music:
Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/MP3-Music-Download/b?ie=UTF8&node=163856011), they even have a linux client.

For Free(Libre and Beer) Music:
Jamendo (http://www.jamendo.com/en/), they have a lot of really great music, and it's fun to hear stuff you likely would not hear anywhere else.

top40tube
October 9th, 2009, 12:07 AM
Misspelled URL ?
I think the sites just down

Zoot7
October 9th, 2009, 12:26 AM
I download all mine from Rapidshare using a google search:

intitle:"Artist Name - Album Name" intext:rapidshare -torrent

The day when record labels intent on extorting people for money aren't around and the artist gets the vast majority, I'll go back to buying music again, but not until then.

dragos240
October 9th, 2009, 12:33 AM
What about the GNUtella network.

witeshark17
October 9th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Maybe iTunes will get ported to Linux someday. :guitar:

Zoot7
October 9th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Maybe iTunes will get ported to Linux someday. :guitar:
lol Dream On. :p This is Apple we're talking about.

HappinessNow
October 10th, 2009, 01:22 AM
Why download? why not just capture streaming music?

LinuxFox
October 10th, 2009, 02:24 AM
Personally, I like Amazon MP3 and Jamendo. Amazon MP3 is a store, but I recommend it because music is DRM-free. Jamendo is great if you like Creative Commons music.

lestatius
October 10th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Best place to download music in my opinion is youtube.com using firefox addon youtube downloader. or http://index-of.blogspot.com/ or

or google using this method: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRv953XZX6Y

but for full cd's most popular torrent sites will do the job

sapper6
October 12th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Most of you probably familiar with Facebook – the unsinkable flagship, the mother of all social networks around the world, but it won't be our focus today. Three years ago Russian comrades took a look at Facebook and decided that: “The hell with it.... We will build our own with “blackjack and hookers!” Three years went by, and a social network known as VKontakte (http://*******/reg91012) appears with no less than 45 million users. Wait! Don't discard VKontakte (http://*******/reg91012) yelling who needs it if we have Facebook because I will explain why you do need it.
It is a known fact that on the streets of Russia there are bears roaming freely with balalaika's and cap hats which is probably the reason why copyright fighters haven't come to Russia yet... ATTENTION!!!! In VKontakte (http://*******/reg91012) social network you will find multi-million library containing free mp3 files, you can listen on-line to whatever you feel like without any limitations, and believe me, there is plenty to listen to (take a look at the screen shot bellow). It is unbelievably simple – following the registration (absolutely free) in the search field simply enter audio files search, and VIOLA, you have found your happiness! I suppose advanced users don't need an explanation as to how files are downloaded.

Register now here (http://*******/reg91012) and ENJOY!!!

Dougie187
October 12th, 2009, 01:24 PM
I think Amazon MP3 is the best place if you are looking to legally download some MP3s. Far better than the iTunes store IMO.

molo4
October 13th, 2009, 04:25 PM
I use this http://*******/reg31341941
Besouse collection music is VERY big.

afeasfaerw23231233
October 14th, 2009, 06:07 PM
I got the only infraction because of posting a topic "Where to download football and tennis matches" few years ago.

wyattbobo
October 15th, 2009, 09:13 PM

iTunes used to be my favorite, until they started charging $1.29 for some of their songs, what's up with that?!? When that happened, I started looking around for other 'legal' ways to get my music (I hate torrenting music), and I came across eMusic. Now this is one amazing webisite for downloading music (http://www.emusic.com/). It's cheaper than iTunes, it's legal, and I got 45 free downloads when I signed up. Doesnt get better than that huh?

I hope this helps you decide.

KikiD
October 18th, 2009, 02:34 PM
There is alway Amazon. You can buy singles songs or whole albums for a decent price. And they are in mp3 format not wma or whatevery evil.

Groucho Marxist
October 18th, 2009, 04:25 PM

My audio two cents; purchase the physical CDs, as these will contain uncompressed audio and will not contain DRM restrictions. If you go the route of purchasing physical CDs, online marketplaces like Amazon or eBay (my favorite) can give you the opportunity to purchase like new or brand new CDs for ridiculously low prices... Case in point; I purchased a brand new, still in shrinkwrap copy of Great Northern's album Trading Twilight for Daylight for $0.01 :D

mila1
November 13th, 2009, 04:34 AM
You can free download albums (lossless & mp3) here http://musicdark-lilu.blogspot.com (http://musicdark-lilu.blogspot.com/)

kholdstare
November 13th, 2009, 04:38 AM
i forgot what it was called but it had the youtube search,you picked a video and it would extract audio and save it,it work amazing.

redfoxkt
November 13th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Definitely frostwire.

frostwire agreed but downloading free music is illegal so i wouldnt do it if i was u=):-\"

BenAshton24
November 13th, 2009, 01:42 PM
www.skreemr.com is good :)

music4life81
December 11th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Have you guys ever visited http://dingbling.net ? Lots of music albums to download for free. Check it out !

guriinii
December 11th, 2009, 04:50 PM
I use rapidshare or the multitude of torrent sites and Transmission to download them.

cascade9
December 11th, 2009, 04:55 PM
iTunes used to be my favorite, until they started charging $1.29 for some of their songs, what's up with that?!? When that happened, I started looking around for other 'legal' ways to get my music (I hate torrenting music), and I came across eMusic. Now this is one amazing webisite for downloading music (http://www.emusic.com/). It's cheaper than iTunes, it's legal, and I got 45 free downloads when I signed up. Doesnt get better than that huh?

I hope this helps you decide.

Gah!

We're sorry, eMusic is not available in your country.

We know everyone everywhere loves music and we want to bring the world of music to everyone. But we have to play by the rules and there are many when it comes to the global distribution of music.
Unfortunately, due to licensing restrictions we are unable to offer service in your country at this time. We understand that you are currently in Australia (your IP address 59.167.192.21). If this is not where you will be using eMusic, please send an email to questions@emusic.com.

Annoying! Lame! Evil!

No, I'm not running a proxy to get mp3s. If it was lossless, maybe.....Looks like I'll be sticking to this-

My audio two cents; purchase the physical CDs, as these will contain uncompressed audio and will not contain DRM restrictions. If you go the route of purchasing physical CDs, online marketplaces like Amazon or eBay (my favorite) can give you the opportunity to purchase like new or brand new CDs for ridiculously low prices... Case in point; I purchased a brand new, still in shrinkwrap copy of Great Northern's album Trading Twilight for Daylight for $0.01 :D

LinuxFanBoi
December 11th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Move along.

WIN7GT
December 11th, 2009, 05:44 PM
zaycev.net
Russian, full of ads and anti-legal music site.

AICollector
December 11th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Well, I'm a fan of Amazon's MP3 store (though I havent a clue why they have a program for downloading albums, when I could download individual tracks through Firefox...

But really? Spotifiy :D

Hampster
December 17th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Careful what you say. I got an infraction notice that NEVER expires for posting.

Reason Given
"Suggested website with copyright infringment"

The Forum Policeman
"ugm6hr"

Never is a long time.

Hands up who hasn't downloaded a copyright infringement..

LookTJ
December 17th, 2009, 01:15 AM
I use Grooveshark, which if you want to download and buy the song/album it forwards you to Amazon. But I mainly use for listening with the flash interface they provide.

noby2know
January 11th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Streamtuner is always a good place. Has anyone tried it?

And if so, maybe you can help me because Ive been getting error messages.

Attached is the error message.

Georgia boy
January 15th, 2010, 04:31 PM
I used to do the music.download.com from cnet but it changed to something else. They have a lot of "Indie" artist that put their music out for downloads. Of course some is just to listen to but the ones that are downloadable I've gotten for free and all legal. I've got some real good tunes from there. Check it out if you haven't already.

Tom

catalingmn
March 19th, 2010, 08:01 PM
I recommand you 3 sites:

1. if you like techno/minimal/house music you should try http://www.bpm-sound.com

2.if you like reggae, try: http://www.reggae-online.com

3. if you like hip-hop try http://www.old-school-rap.com

regards

Shpongle
March 19th, 2010, 08:10 PM
grooveshark & jamendo are good places for music and youll have the ubuntu music store soon enough

cristino
March 25th, 2010, 02:32 PM
You can easily free download your favorite songs from below site
http://www.free-mp3.ca/. I find it best to download music.

muggle
March 25th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Definitely YouTube (http://youtube.com/) they have the largest music archive the world has seen by now. You just need an good converter to get the audio of the videos. I use this converter (http://www.youtube-mp3.org/) because it is so simple and has a little search engine for direct downloads (http://www.youtube-mp3.org/downloads).

-jay-
March 25th, 2010, 09:29 PM
i use private torrent sites .flac all the way

antonio1957
April 11th, 2010, 11:34 PM
i recommend mp3caprice site. I have already download many music files from site and all is fine for me. I love alternative (http://mp3caprice.com/genre/alternative-15) music so I found my favorite music in high quality. No problems and good price :guitar:
By the way, You can request mp3 there... your caprice will be done for a few days:lolflag:

DOSIX
May 17th, 2010, 10:05 PM
on the issue of ethics here (which many people seem to be citing as a reason for buying cds), i just have one thing to say: the artists themselves don't care about who's downloading what. metallica doesn't speak for every band out there. the ones that are mad are the record executives. this is why you see copyright claims by WMG on youtube videos that are removed, and not copyright claims by artists themselves. use whatever software you want, you aren't hurting anybody except big greedy record labels (independent labels haven't suffered).

deegoire
May 29th, 2010, 02:26 AM
The mother lode of all the free file sharing sites - the public library!:P

Directive 4
May 29th, 2010, 02:49 AM
bring your computer round to all your mates houses, drink beer and rip everything, no worrys with isp's either,

oh and yes, the library is the sizzile

cloyd
May 29th, 2010, 03:45 AM
I haven't read all the thread. But as a baby boomer who wants my old music, emusic has almost all of it. In addition, I like Celtic music, and I find a wealth of traditional Irish music there. I want to be legal. With a very basic subscription, after a couple years, I find it hard to use up all of my subscription. If they had "rollover songs" I'd have a wealth of them. But it is well worth my subscription to keep up the basic subscription. It's legal, and it has what I want. It's good for me, but it isn't for my kids.

down sharing
May 30th, 2010, 04:19 PM
If you are looking for some of the best website where you can not just download music to pile up the your music library but also can share and transfer file then for sure zevera.com is for you.

check this link:
http://www.zevera.com/default.aspx?c=rp

chriswyatt
May 30th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Why the Canonical Music Store of course.

screaminj3sus
May 30th, 2010, 04:30 PM
I download all my mp3s at amazon mp3 or 7digital (which ubuntu's new music store is).

Vostrocity
May 30th, 2010, 04:31 PM
How the heck is this thread still alive from 2007. I'd think all the decent MP3 stores would've already been mentioned.

My vote would be for AmazonMP3 or buying used CDs on Amazon.

Steam.
May 30th, 2010, 04:49 PM
i use private torrent sites .flac all the way

That.

And tagoo.ru, and beemp3.

number-1
June 15th, 2010, 09:37 PM
I watched this video yesterday on how artists don't need to sell music and should be giving it away yesterday. Like you get more fans by giving it away and then you sell them other stuff didnt totally get what hes talking abot but liked the idea:
http://makeyourbandfamous.com/secret/bizmodel.html

(that's the sneaky link without opting in to the mails but im sure if you want them youll work out how :P)

peace!

PS> watch the video before calling me an evil lefty trying to rape the artist. then call me an evil lefty... :P

QwUo173Hy
June 15th, 2010, 11:02 PM
www.gomusicnow.com - They operate legally, but I'm not sure how ethical the whole thing is. I believe the RIAA tried to shut them down so perhaps I have been paying for pirated music that made through some legal loopholes?

ZarathustraDK
July 2nd, 2010, 12:57 PM
Get the collection-torrents at ocremix.org , they're awesome. They make remixes of classic game-music (and really good ones at that), free of charge.

It's like 8 gigs of nostalgia if you've ever owned a Nintendo or Sega-console.

sprocket10
July 27th, 2010, 02:52 AM
www.dilandau.com works great for more mainstream stuff!

ikt
July 27th, 2010, 05:03 AM
There is no place legally where you can download music in Australia besides itunes, however I don't use itunes and thus am without a source.

ZarathustraDK
July 27th, 2010, 12:57 PM
There is no place legally where you can download music in Australia besides itunes, however I don't use itunes and thus am without a source.

Does Amazon work down under? ;)
http://www.amazon.com/Rubies-Costume-Co-Vendetta-Mask/dp/B000UVGLHU

Swagman
July 27th, 2010, 01:07 PM

I agree.

Does this link work for you ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MP3-Music-Download/b/ref=sa_menu_dm1?ie=UTF8&node=77197031

ikt
August 9th, 2010, 12:10 PM

I agree.

Does this link work for you ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MP3-Music-Download/b/ref=sa_menu_dm1?ie=UTF8&node=77197031

You have selected to purchase:
Set To Fail by Lamb Of God
(Amazon MP3 purchases are limited to U.S. customers.)

andydraysen
August 19th, 2010, 01:46 AM
you can try ytube2mp3.com they convert videos but they also have videos to just download

been using it for a while and i'd say its the best place to download music

they also dont have to many ads that pop up every where

CraigPaleo
August 19th, 2010, 03:17 AM
Used CDs from Amazon FTW.

I download directly from Amazon. $.99 per song and there is no DRM.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/dmusic/help/faq.html

Oh, now I see it's been mentioned.

cloyd
August 20th, 2010, 03:02 AM
I downloaded from Amazon recently. They had what I wanted, though I found out later, I could have made the purchase from the Ubuntu music store. I had to use another machine that had 9.04 on it; Amazons download manager wouldn't install in lucid. In the future, when I want something not available on emusic, I'll look Ubuntu store first. I want to support canonical & ubuntu. Still, day to day, this old baby-boomer loves emusic. Cheap, no DRM, and lots of classic stuff. And, if you like classic rock (as my son does) this can be a good source. The only problems is, I think I have almost completed my collection of oldies . . .
Naw . . . there is always more. I'll keep up the subscription.

andydraysen
August 26th, 2010, 10:15 AM
no problem,
their site converts music by doing searchs

you'd have to go to http://www.ytube2mp3.com/index.php?a=search

with that you just enter the title of any youtube video and you'll get like a list of a few videos and click the video and convert away.

hope it helps!!
Andy

PaulReaver
October 13th, 2010, 06:59 AM
legal?

definitely 7digital or ubuntuOne music store both drm free :D

they are actually the same store... kinda

ubuntuOne was the only place I could find 'the mayfield four'
wasn't even on itunes at the time.

pwnst*r
October 13th, 2010, 02:10 PM

This.

Pirating is for pansies.

Nesaskewatch
November 14th, 2010, 01:49 AM
ytube2mp3.com

Great site! Double plus good!

beew
November 14th, 2010, 05:53 AM
There is a local band that gives away free CDs on their live shows, their music is also free to download on their website. But the studio recorded CDs are not nearly as good as the live performance (they never are, unless the musicians are no good) so the fans keep going to the live shows even though they have their CDS and mp3s (and also to show support of course)

I don't listen to recorded music much,they get boring after a while, I prefer live venues.

Rodney9
November 28th, 2010, 12:32 AM

Are there any places to buy legal music in Australia yet ?

cap10Ibraim
November 28th, 2010, 05:12 PM
I get my music via torrents
thepiratebay.org

jfreak_
November 28th, 2010, 06:48 PM
I get my music via torrents
thepiratebay.org

Which is also illegal and frowned upon here.

c00lwaterz
November 29th, 2010, 12:55 PM

+1 for this. I really like the site. I just visit this today and check if can download for free. absolutely free and with option of donation if you want. The site is fast enough to load the music and listen to it. :p

peturingi
November 29th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Hi!

I cooked together a script, it depends on youtube-dl, zenity and aria2 (all of whom are to be found in the official repos) which makes it more easy to download and rip music from YouTube.

It can be found there, with screenshots, http://www.petur.eu/blog/?p=5
Install using the .deb or download the .src (it's a bash script)

Ps. I'm pretty sure some moderators will think that this post is supporting illegal activity.. but please do consitter that the main component of it, youtube-dl, is available in the official repos with the description:
"youtube-dl - download videos from youtube"

Spice Weasel
November 29th, 2010, 02:12 PM
... Ripping music from YouTube? Are you mad, or do you just have something against good quality audio? :P

alaukikyo
November 29th, 2010, 03:33 PM
I usually listen English songs via rythmbox plugin via jamendo .
BTW the download torrent option in jamendo mostly never has a single seeder :(

rg4w
November 29th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Most commercial music I buy through the Ubuntu store. But I also get a lot of freely-shared music from bands at SoundClick.com - amazing variety of stuff there, some of it for a fee but much of it free, with so many interesting groups across so many genres that it's kept me quite happy discovering new tunes for years.

peturingi
November 29th, 2010, 10:24 PM
... Ripping music from YouTube? Are you mad, or do you just have something against good quality audio? :P

I think the audio quality is satisfactory.

98cwitr
November 29th, 2010, 10:31 PM
piratebay

Al.hefe
March 8th, 2011, 06:51 PM
really bad question here... if i were to want to use pirate bay, whats the best torrent client to use for ubuntu?

uRock
March 8th, 2011, 06:54 PM
really bad question here... if i were to want to use pirate bay, whats the best torrent client to use for ubuntu?
We do NOT support pirating here.

Thread Closed.