PDA

View Full Version : Parallels Coherence comming this summer!

bobpaul
February 27th, 2007, 08:45 PM
So, for a while now I've been running VMWare Player to run WinXP on top of linux for those few software apps that I can't run in wine and lack native counterparts, namely MS Visual Studio--I use it at work and sometimes bring work home--and TaxCut--because I still think it's better than the web-based tax utilities.

Now I've been reading articles off and on about a company called Parallels and the strives their making in virtualization for Intel MacOS users. The big thing I've seen is "Coherence" which allows things like seemless copy/paste between Windows and MacOS apps, but more importantly allows one to hide the windows desktop, start menu, etc so that all one sees is the application that intend to use. Basically, from a user perspective it looks like WINE, except you're running a full OS in the background.

Anyway, I just e-mailed Parallels asking about support for this on linux, and here's the response I got:

Hi Paul,

Coherence is slated to become a feature within the Linux Workstation product later this summer, so keep checking back with us for that release!

Thanks for the email, and your support.
Hot damn! That's enough to justify the $50 price and dump the freeware vmplayer!

Llew Silverhand
March 14th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Definitely something I would pay for. WINE is great, but I still run some stuff in VMWare, and the coherence option would just make things much nicer :)