PDA

View Full Version : EfficientPC's Updated Mythtv Range

dalejefferson
February 27th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Due to customer and forum feedback, we have now:

Reduced the price of all Mythtv systems
Added a dual tuner option (nova-t 500)
Added a 400GB hard disk option

Check them out: http://efficientpc.co.uk/index.php?cPath=23/ (http://efficientpc.co.uk/index.php?cPath=23)

Please feel free to give me some feedback.

PS.. I will post a howto for the Nova-T 500 driver installation!!!

Titus A Duxass
February 28th, 2007, 07:01 AM
Looks good, but!

MythTV is a Linux application that turns a computer with the necessary hardware into a digital video recorder, a digital multimedia home entertainment system, or Home Theater Personal Computer.
MythTV is free software licensed under the GPL. - I think you should be pushing MythTV a bit more, 4 lines does not do it justice. I know that space is at a premium, but..

Can you not replace these lines with something more exciting?

I'll try and think of something.

Or you can just ignore me, it's only my 2 cents worth.

dalejefferson
February 28th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Thanks for your feedback.. :KS

I was more of the idea that you would not get to my site unless you new what mythtv was. My advertising is Mythtv based, eg google adwords (Mythtv).

I don't see my systems being sold to people who have no interest or knowledge in Linux or Mythtv.(All my customers so far have tried mythtv and failed to set it up on there own)

Mythtv is far from 1.0 release and needs someone who is willing to tinker (I would say the same about Windows Media Center).

The main hurdle to Mythtv has been the hardware choice and the setup, we make this easy.

Yes a better write up would be appreciated and I will include it on the site, the idea is to get people interested and go to the mythtv site and read up on Mythtv.

Titus A Duxass
February 28th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Okay, taking into account your targeted audience/prospective buyers then approach is good and does not need changing.

You are, however, limiting your market some what. But it would be a brave man to sell MythTV Boxes to people with no idea about linux or MythTV.

dalejefferson
February 28th, 2007, 09:06 AM
I don't currently have the software engineers or the support technictions requiered to sell Mythtv to the general public. (Also not that brave)

You may be surprised haw many people are out there who are using/ wanting to use Mythtv!

A limited market is all I'm after, I can't compete with Pakardbells, etc.. Windows Media Center systems.

Linux is all about learning to use your computer, Mythtv first got me into Linux 5 years ago!
My first Linux distro was SUSE but I got into RPM hell and switched to Gentoo due to a 'simple' Mythtv install and great docs. I learnt alot from using Gentoo and having to do everything yourself.

Im very happy with Ubuntu now, and I see it as a good mix of the two. (simple and a learning experience)

Shadoweater12081980
March 14th, 2007, 12:40 PM
I was interested in one of these systems. Finally a supplier who is giving choice and not just throwing out systems with Windows on :)

Is it possible to have another distro installed (Im personally a fan of Mandriva) instead of Ubuntu (which I've found to be good)

If I want the wireless PCI card installing, would I just pay for the part on top of the system or would there be an install fee etc

I have tried to email all 3 support addresses and have so far heard nothing so figured this would be a good port of call

:KS Keep up the good work guys:KS

-Andy:guitar:

dalejefferson
March 14th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Sorry about the lateness of my reply,
I've just sent you an email answering all your questions.

The business is taking off quicker than expected, I'm just trying to build some infrastructure (Netboot server, Repository mirror, Installation scripts, Support Website (wiki.efficientpc.co.uk (http://wik.efficientpc.co.uk)) ) its surprising how much work is required! :confused:

Should be worth it to see less Microsoft Sales :)

Im starting to get back on top of the work load so feel free to email me with any other questions sales@efficientpc.co.uk

dannyboy79
March 14th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Due to customer and forum feedback, we have now:

Reduced the price of all Mythtv systems
Added a dual tuner option (nova-t 500)
Added a 400GB hard disk option

Check them out: http://www.efficientpc.co.uk/mythtvbaseunits/

Please feel free to give me some feedback.

PS.. I will post a howto for the Nova-T 500 driver installation!!!

i would say that your product is solely advertized at the euro market as that card wouldn't work in my city. I live in the US, central time zone. Also, i was chekcing out your site and the more info button doesn't do anything, then I clicked on the components link and it gave me an mysql error, then I clicked on another link that also didn't work. my feedback would be to get your website up and running first, make sure you have a product for the us people (maybe based on the pvr-250), think about offering an intel based machine (many people are die hard intel or die hard amd fans and will not switch). that's about it. i love the fact that you're doing this though! have you thought of employing superm1 as a tech person for ya, he is really awesome with mythtv .20. he actually made his in repo a while ago with the neccessary packages for my dapper setup since it wasn't in the normal repos. good luck with yout business, I do hope you succeed!

dalejefferson
March 14th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Hi dannyboy79,

Yes We only sell to the Euro market mostly UK, USA postage would be 80+

Yes the current website is home made and running on a shared server. All the links worked when I just tried them, Strange :confused: :confused:

I am currently migrating over to a VPS and a OsCommerce site. This should solve all the website problems, I wasn't expecting so many hits a day!

I don't see the US as a market for us at the moment.

There is a lack of Nvidia chipsets on the Intel side, this is why I don't use Intel.
Our new range of laptops will be Intel Core2 duo on a Nvidia chipset. (so i'm not a AMD fan boy)
We just use the best hardware for the situation.

Thanks for your feedback and ill have a look at superm1's work.

dalejefferson
March 14th, 2007, 03:59 PM
PS.

I've put up a guide for the Nova-T 500 on my wiki as promised http://wiki.efficientpc.co.uk/index.php/Install_Nova-T_500_On_Ubuntu_Linux

dannyboy79
March 14th, 2007, 09:09 PM
if you are after only the best hardware, than why are you using a capture card that doesn't even support the remote control yet? according to your own wiki:
LinuxTV Support
Works with v4l-dvb driver from 2006-09-20.
Remote support is still absent.

dalejefferson
March 15th, 2007, 09:41 AM
if you are after only the best hardware, than why are you using a capture card that doesn't even support the remote control yet? according to your own wiki:
LinuxTV Support
Works with v4l-dvb driver from 2006-09-20.
Remote support is still absent.

Hi dannyboy79,

The card is a great card that only takes up one pci slot and has dual tuners. The remote is a free extra, that is not required.

The Media Center Remote we ship with these systems is much better than the standard Nova-T 500, so its a not a problem not using it.

The Media Center Remote has:

Lighted keys.
Better shape and quality feel.
Learns other remote codes (Control you TV etc).
Long USB cable for premium position.
Extra Buttons for more control.

I wouldn't use the Nova-T 500 remote in our high end systems even if it worked!

PS. Microsoft should stick to making hardware their better at it :)

dannyboy79
March 15th, 2007, 02:53 PM
oh I see, well this is mentioned on your website but not really obvious. If I were you I would add the Media Center Remote to your components page so that people fully understand that you guys provide remote capabilitites as I would say this is a critical selling point. Since the capture card you supply clearly states that remote control doesn't work it would be a good idea to make it more obvious that your system has a sperate working remote. Just feedback since you did ask for it in your first thread.

dalejefferson
March 15th, 2007, 03:04 PM
I really appreciate your feedback, I need to add a lot more content to the website.

Thanks dannyboy79 :KS