PDA

View Full Version : Has linux changed your ideals in life.

StueyB
February 27th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Ok this may sound a strange question. Let me elaborate a little. I am a fairly recent convert to using Linux but have been a long standing supporter of what it tried to achieve, i.e. include everyone and exclude no one and do what you want with the code, should you wish to.

I am finding though that the ethos of all this is spurring me in directions I never thought of. For example, I am actively trying to reduce the amount of power we use in our house, looking at green alternatives, as well as trying to buy stuff from companies that have a clear and honest commitment to either the environment and or linux. Some things are more important than shaving $5 off a machine price, when that $5 was saved by dumping nasty chemicals from some plant in china right into the river.

Im finding myself also swayed towards a minimalistic life. Sure I have the big telly etc, but it no longer feels needed. Im kinda going "have laptop, will travel" I'm clearing house and freecycling all my spare PCs and components. I mean, I am no developer, I have no need of 4 machines. I have no need of most of the stuff that clutters my life to be honest. I would even give up my car if I could. Seeing I only live 5 miles from work, it seems scandalous that I feel a need to drive there. Biking would be green, free and keep me "alive" If only everybody could think like this.

I have also become aware of the "working to live" rather than "living to work" and money is becoming less and less important in my life. Thats not to say having it isn't useful, just I don't feel the need to spend anymore

To this end I am even contemplating researching more into Buddhism, for if the world lived by the 3 truths and the 5 points, the world would not be in half as much of a mess as it is now.

I realise its more than just the ideology of Linux, but it does, or does for me, open my eyes to potentially so much more. It really has begun my "thinking out the box"

My old Unix lecturer used to be what we called a wierdy beardy who wanted no part of polluting cars (rode to work every day) preached reuse, not only in code, but in technology and although his salary must have been at least $60,000 he had no trappings of wealth, save a watch. He didn't even own a mobile phone.

He to my mind now, makes a lot of sense.

I may be babbling, but I changed from Microsoft because I didn't like their Ethics. Ok the software is addictive, and I still use it at work, but Ubuntu at home, and every other machine because I believe in it and it is causing positive changes in my life. Anybody else find this?

EdThaSlayer
February 27th, 2007, 03:03 PM
I kind of agree with you. I used to have a mobile phone and after it got stolen I never bought one again. Your teacher must have been quite good, just think how many trees or resources we could save if no one bought a car. But then again, just think of the many jobs there would be lost. Microsoft seems to be a company that likes s to deal "big" as in charging their products a lot for no real big reason(compare M$ ******* to Ubuntu gnu/linux, only thing that ******* has that Ubuntu gnu/linux doesn't is backup from hardware companies and game developers).

Gargamella
February 27th, 2007, 03:11 PM
It has changed completely my life, from routine to ideals as you said.

I also spread it, so it means i really believe in it and I love to feel inside a project and to partecipate with it.

Andrea

PriceChild
February 27th, 2007, 03:17 PM
No :)

StueyB
February 27th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Well ok, I waffled a bit but I think it comes down to Linux, Ubuntu especially, promotes free thinking and creativity. It also give you the chance to be a part of someting :)

matthew
February 27th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Actually, I chose Ubuntu because it more completely matched my ideals. :)

Richard Kut
February 27th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Hello StueyB! I am encouraged to read all of the positive changes in your life. I have been using Linux in various flavors for over ten years now. In that time I have found that the use of Linux, and my exposure to it's ideals and it's community values, have reinforced feelings and tendencies which were already there, and broadened my thinking in the process, much as you describe.

I have always said that empires will rise and fall, laws will come and go, but we all inherently know right from wrong. And for me, Linux feels right.

theslut
February 27th, 2007, 03:38 PM
I don't know if it's directly changed my lifestyle like yours but I think i've been living more like that for a while anyway. Don't have money, don't spend much, don't really want for anything.

Switching to linux has stopped me downloading every "useful" pirated application for windows and I don't think i use anything stolen in my linux box. I am very happy with the whole thing.:guitar:

Bagboy23
February 27th, 2007, 03:41 PM
It hasn't changed my life much either. Actually, it's made it a little more difficult, since the only time I use a computer is either primarily for work or just to watch a DVD. All other times my laptop is turned off.

Pikestaff
February 27th, 2007, 04:17 PM
For me, it was more like... I started using Linux after my life ideals started changing. I wanted to support free software, open source and "the little guy", that's why I switched :popcorn:

Ob1
February 27th, 2007, 04:22 PM
The Free and Open Source Software philosophy has changed my views on some ethics.

Super King
February 27th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Nope. In terms of computing I don't want to be fed any politics or ideals; I just use the best tool for the job. Often enough that tool is Ubuntu Linux :)

Adamant1988
February 27th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Allowing code to change the way you think is a scary proposition indeed.

In short though, No, my ideals haven't changed much since I became involved. However, they did alter slightly as I learned more about open-source software and the development idea behind it. The knowledge of the open source idea has given me the ability to look at problems differently than I did, but it did not change my desires or goals.

Pekkalainen
February 27th, 2007, 06:23 PM
No, but GNU/Linux has :)

23meg
February 27th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Allowing code to change the way you think is a scary proposition indeed. It's not about the code itself, but the culture, the modus operandi that has formed around the making of it. It can very well change how you think of certain things.

Hendrixski
February 27th, 2007, 06:48 PM
My old Unix lecturer used to be what we called a wierdy beardy who wanted no part of polluting cars (rode to work every day) preached reuse, not only in code, but in technology and although his salary must have been at least $60,000 he had no trappings of wealth, save a watch. He didn't even own a mobile phone.

I would hope that he made more than that! I made that much fresh out of college!

And yes, Open Source not only changed my ideals on life, it continues to challenge me in fun and interesting ways. It helps me develop my skills, my way of thinking, and many other things. :)

Good thread topic by the way.

Kernel Sanders
February 27th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Its broadened my horizons, and allowed me to think of things that I wouldn't usually.

But changed my ideals? No! :lolflag:

Zuuswa
February 27th, 2007, 07:48 PM
I like to think that Gnu/Linux is only one step in a long race toward a 'Free lifestyle'. I stopped driving my car about 3 years ago, and use the bus and my bicycle instead. I have lowered my meat consumption, lowered my energy consumption. Basically I have been trying to lessen my ecological footprint for a while now, and while Linux doesnt directly help, its ideology fits perfectly. It may not be the cause, but it is a catalyst :)

Sunflower1970
February 27th, 2007, 07:55 PM
A few years ago I had already began to "think green" as it was. During the summer I bike and take the bus to work, bike to go grocery shopping, we try to eat as organic as we can, we recycle as much as we can, try to cut down on electricity as much as we can (we go for as long as possible before turning on the heater in the winter--of course being in Texas, we hardly use it at all, except for a few days here & there, and go for as long as possible before we use the AC in the summer)

So, Linux fits in with some of my ideals already. And is making me think about changing some other parts of my life. I also am feeling the need to become involved someway somehow with some organization that recycles computers and then donates them to people who need them & such.

hardyn
February 27th, 2007, 07:59 PM
i wouldn't say that linux has done anything, but the GNU/GPL has... as far as computing anyway. I used to use ALOT of "student version" software, now i try to use free/OSS software as much as possible in lieu of said "student versions".

kazuya
February 27th, 2007, 08:12 PM
I agree with the other post, gnu/linux has greatly changed some of my ideals in life as it pertains to PC computing. It has given me the best and free platform to adapting my PC OS to suite my needs, wants and those of other users for a free as in beer fee.

Now, as a user we can say we have options in what we want in computing. It makes me more aware of the need to afford other users I care about with knowledge of this option for the sake of affordability and perhaps donations to increased computing gains for the masses irrespective of finance.

It also makes for more non pirate users. Result, a user is more confident that their OS is not designed to betray them or sell them out to some Vendor, manufacturer, etc..

User has liberty to do with their system whatever they choose and switch to a distro or community that suits their computing preferences.

Fee is free. And by using this free distro, and preaching the benefits or touting the applications and limitations, you contribute to the growth of gnu/linux as well as force the commercial companies to make better product and services truly deserving of your money.

Bluesharp
February 27th, 2007, 08:37 PM
I think your observation is quite preceptive. Whether or not the chicken came before he egg, the need to change the course of the mechanisms of living on this planet is being appreciated by more and more. By "mechanisms," I refer to more than just the physical way we interact, but also, for some, it involves the philosophical, religious, political, etc.

That's true, I think, because what is happening is a shift in consciousness. Spurred on, in part, by reflection on the state of things in the world today, and how that came about, but also facilitated by the fruits of a vastly increased capacity to substantively interact with folks from all over the world. It requires a more "inclusive" mindset. Once there, the differences become less important than the similarities. The Ubuntu Code of Conduct is reflects the results of that point of view - which is along the lines of the "Golden Rule" or perhaps more closely, the Categorical Imperative. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categorical_Imperative

Once capacity, will and wisdom coincide, movement is not far away.

Erik Trybom
February 27th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Working for free has always been a part of my life. I'm an swimmer and I'm used to people supporting the club I swim for - it can be volunteers doing functionary work, ourselves spending an afternoon working raise money, or training kids for low payment. My parents also have a boat so I'm used to working there as well when launching or taking up the boats for the winter etc. With mandatory work the club can lower the fees for membership.

Anyway, I didn't switch to Linux because I was attracted to the ideals but because I thought it seemed fun and interesting (and I still do). The free software movement didn't actually represent anything new and revolutionary to me - it was more like, "sure, that's nice, now let me check out the screenshots". The great quality of free software, paired with a freedom from adware/spyware and coming free of charge, was a much more compelling reason for me to switch than any ideals about free software.

However, I share your opinions on most things. I think twice before taking the car, I try to sort my garbage, I turn out the lights when I leave a room and so on. Most of the time economy and ecology go hand in hand. There's an engineer's wish to do everything as efficiently as possible - why should I need a car that weighs 15 times as much as my body to transport myself and a bag?

zaratustra
February 27th, 2007, 08:43 PM
I can't say that this is caused by switching to Open Source software, but I stopped smoking, changed coffee with tea, started training martial arts, changed hardtechno with mantras, started to eat more healthy food. Surely, it must speeded up the process of change:)

H.E. Pennypacker
February 27th, 2007, 09:56 PM
I must say the open source philosophy has not changed my ideals, but it has changed me. I've seen changes in me that I never thought were possible.

Before I switched to Linux, I was probably the most vocal Microsoft supporter of all time, moreso probably than the employees of Microsoft. When the EU would fine Microsoft, I would lash out at all of Europe, and particularly European governments on unfairly cracking down Microsoft. You could literally see anger in me when they did this. The more they fined Micrsoft, and increased penalties, the more I want to smash my laptop. Monopoly meant nothing to me. As long as worthy entrepreneurs were not being stopped, I was good.

Today, it's a complete 360. I can't believe that I now smile when Microsoft is fined, and that I am actually glad. I think to myself Microsof must become smaller, and must lose as much money as possible in order to let competitors in (Macs, Linux, BSD, etc.).

It's hardly to believe that I have gone from despising anyone who spoke out against Microsoft to actually agreeing with them to a certain point. I still have problems with the EU, and that will never change. The EU and I will never see things eye to eye, but on the Microsoft front, there's something we have in common, which is a scary thing to say, because of how much I hate the European Union.

muguwmp67
February 27th, 2007, 11:07 PM
I wouldn't say that Linux has changed my ideals, but it has helped me recommit to them. I feel more optimistic about the fate of humanity when I see the Linux community work together to develop and support their various distributions.

In the days when I had money, I was always spending money on the 'latest and greatest' hardware. Now I have more fun trying to find the smallest possible machines I can get my hands on. Reviving old machines and making them useful again is satisfying. I am actively looking for more doorstops to adopt, and plan to work with some not-for-profits to distribute them in my community.

I heard a report on the radio a few weeks ago that said more Americans would rather live in an area where they made $50K and their neighbors made $30K than to live iin an area where they made $75K and their neighbors made $100K.

This scares me. I think one of the biggest psychological hurdles that the US needs to overcome is the concept of 'enoughness' As long as we judge our own experience of wealth and abundance based on what our neighbor has, we will never be happy.

Linux has helped me realize that abundance is a personal experience and not a comparative one.