PDA

View Full Version : What I love about the Ubuntu-distros

tomplast
February 27th, 2007, 07:31 AM
I just wanted to write a sort of "meaningless" thread to tell you about my POWs when it comes to Ubuntu. What I love so much about Ubuntu (and all distros in the family) is that we can and we do change the things that we don't like.

If we think something is missing or limited we change it. We allways strives to improve our Ubuntu distros and everyday you can constantly feel innovation in the air.

Lately "Linux VS GNOME" has been on everybody's lips and I can't say that I have kept myself out of this. I support Linus here, but at the same time I don't. I love KDE for it's functionallity and options, but it's complexity and sometimes hard-to-master-interface can make you cry. GNOME on the other hand lacks alot of the great functions KDE has but it has a greater usabillity and is easier for people to use (IMO).

I don't want to start a flame war here, my ending to this and the idea of this post is to say that if you don't like something, we change it :). I'm confident we will se great advances in KDE & GNOME in the following years ;).

openix
February 27th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Does Gnome lack in functions compared to KDE?

I consider myself a power user and Gnome has everything I could want. I initially used Kubuntu when I switched from windows about a year ago but due to it being slightly buggy plus I could never get mozilla thunderbird to open if i clicked on a email link in a webpage, I moved to Ubuntu about 3 months after that and have been happy ever since.

Gnome is smooth and quick but it's a personal choice just like which distro you like. I will give Kubuntu another look when Feisty comes out and await KDE4 to see what that brings but for now there's no place like Gnome.

guitarmaniac
February 27th, 2007, 10:13 AM
I agree with openix here.
GNOME still has all the features anyone needs, nothing important is left out.
though I am looking forward to KDE4. Still a GNOME guy at heart though.

runningwithscissors
February 27th, 2007, 10:18 AM
I just wanted to write a sort of "meaningless" thread to tell you about my POWs when it comes to Ubuntu. What I love so much about Ubuntu (and all distros in the family) is that we can and we do change the things that we don't like.

If we think something is missing or limited we change it. We allways strives to improve our Ubuntu distros and everyday you can constantly feel innovation in the air.
Psst... Other distributions allow that too. :)

tomplast
February 27th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Psst... Other distributions allow that too. :)

I know but I think we are one step ahead of alot of other distros in some areas.

runningwithscissors
February 27th, 2007, 10:38 AM
I know but I think we are one step ahead of alot of other distros in some areas.

How so?

Ob1
February 27th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Ubuntu-distros

I think it's called variants if it's about DEs

slayerboy
February 27th, 2007, 10:45 AM
I think this is more about the spirit of Linux than just the spirit of Ubuntu. Linux is one of the few OS's where you can drastically change everything, but at the end of the day, you're still using Linux. KDE, Gnome, XFCE, IceWM, Ion, Fluxbox....all of these are Desktop/Window Managers. Which on you chose is up to you, and just because you use Ubuntu, doesn't mean you're tied to Gnome. Just because you use PCLinuxOS doesn't mean you're tied to KDE. Just because you use Suse doesn't mean you're tied to KDE. It's all about choice.

Now the choice of which distro to use comes down to the same thing, but I believe there is ONE thing that separates the distros apart from each other. Community. Without a good strong community, your distro is going to not last long, or last a longtime without a lot of exposure. For some people, they like to stay off the beaten path, others want to follow the crowd.

My distro choices have been narrowed down to PCLOS and Ubuntu. I love PCLinuxOS's community. I love Ubuntu's community, although sometimes it can seem a little harsher than need be. BUT, since PCLinuxOS is getting bigger, I've noticed the same "edginess" starting to come forward. For me, it was a choice that came down to I thought Ubuntu has a bigger user base and will end up supporting more hardware, and is debian based. PCLOS is a little smaller and is RPM based. With the recent goings-on with MS and RPM based distros, I wanted to distance myself from RPMs for a while to see what happens. That's not to say that I don't like PCLOS, it's a very nice distro, but seeing Kubuntu, I don't see much of a difference between the two right now until they both come out with their new versions (Fiesty for Ubuntu and 2007 for PCLOS)

It comes down to this.......

As long as you use Linux I don't care what DE/WM/Distro you use, just as long as it's what you're happy with and not using Windows!

steven8
February 27th, 2007, 10:46 AM
As long as you use Linux I don't care what DE/WM/Distro you use, just as long as it's what you're happy with and not using Windows!

Amen to that!

nsleiman
February 27th, 2007, 11:29 AM
I love:

The community!
apt-get!
KDE!
sudo!

and

killall! :)

and most of it......... because its FREE and not related to Microsoft's windows :)