PDA

View Full Version : Procrastinator's Guide to Ubuntu

tjtansey
February 27th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Planning on starting it tomorrow.:-k

steven8
February 27th, 2007, 07:14 AM
Let me know if you want some help. I'll get back to you. . .

tjtansey
February 27th, 2007, 03:29 PM
I think the first chapter will be "The Top Ten Reasons to Procrastonate." I' start on it just as soon as I finish working my way through PyGTK...

This really should be a community project, so any input will be considered, as soon as anyone can get to it...

matthew
February 27th, 2007, 03:33 PM
I think the first chapter will be "The Top Ten Reasons to Procrastonate." I' start on it just as soon as I finish working my way through PyGTK...

This really should be a community project, so any input will be considered, as soon as anyone can get to it...I'd be happy to help...I'll get back to you when I have time.

Bagboy23
February 27th, 2007, 03:36 PM
I'll help. I'll provide some objective opinions.

tjtansey
February 27th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Opinions always accepted, just don't interfere with other projects. This is my number one priority...just as soon as I get through with everything else:-\"

Catsworth
February 27th, 2007, 03:45 PM
You know.....I was going to devote a lot of my time to procrastination, I just never seemed to get 'round to it.....

Besides.....why do today what you can put off until tomorrow :)

tjtansey
February 27th, 2007, 10:41 PM
I have reason #1 all worked out. I'll post it just as soon as...

Dylnuge
February 27th, 2007, 10:50 PM
This project sounds great! I am definatly going to help out...just give me a few minutes.

bonzodog
February 27th, 2007, 10:50 PM
I can send out round tuits if anyone wants them.....

http://www.quantumenterprises.co.uk/roundtuit/

xmastree
February 27th, 2007, 10:52 PM
I was going to reply, but I'll just do it later.

maņana

koenn
February 27th, 2007, 10:54 PM
I kinda have a lot of other projects that should be taking off quite soon, but I guess I could spare some time to do some research on the subject some time in the not too distant future.

picpak
February 27th, 2007, 11:02 PM
I might help...maybe tomorrow.

tjtansey
February 27th, 2007, 11:02 PM
I can send out round tuits if anyone wants them.....

http://www.quantumenterprises.co.uk/roundtuit/
We might have a logo...
I'll think about it later

matthew
February 27th, 2007, 11:36 PM
I found some great stuff to add to your site. I'll go find it after my nap.

Sammi
February 27th, 2007, 11:50 PM
I'm going to start writing the introduction... tomorrow...

tjtansey
February 27th, 2007, 11:53 PM
I knew this would become the ultimate community project...someday

manmower
February 28th, 2007, 12:22 AM
You spaced on the title. Someone should really fix that sometime...

SunnyRabbiera
February 28th, 2007, 12:55 AM
Maybe I will do something for this...

How does December 2009 sound? :p

Dylnuge
February 28th, 2007, 01:08 AM
I found the round tuit site extremly funny in its failure to fact check.

Check out the Egyptian History. It says that Tutankamun was Neffatuit's son. Not just was there no Neffatuit, but Tutankamun's geneology is unknowm (although it is believed that his father was Amenhotep IV, aka Akenatun, and his mother was one of Akenatun's many secondary wives).

Expect a bunch of information from me-when I get around to it.

H.E. Pennypacker
February 28th, 2007, 01:08 AM
LOL...this thread cracks me up!

The irony is in how I've been delaying my school work all this time. "Ah, you'll do it tomorrow." Tomorrow is here, and it still hasn't been done.

Zimmer
February 28th, 2007, 01:30 AM
LOL...this thread cracks me up!

The irony is in how I've been delaying my school work all this time. "Ah, you'll do it tomorrow." Tomorrow is here, and it still hasn't been done.

Funny how tomorrow always turns into today.....

NewOldTimer
February 28th, 2007, 01:54 AM
I have some great idea's for this, hang on....damn call waiting....I'll have to get back with you a little later, call me, bye.

matthew
February 28th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Okay, I'm ready. Here's the stuff I promised....

OH, NO!!! My kid just spilled milk on my keyboarl;khnawoihzjdsknv /flsk

slayerboy
February 28th, 2007, 09:59 AM
hard work pays off later....laziness pays off today!

so in effect, by procrastinating you're really being lazy...by being lazy you're actually accomplishing something....I'll tell you later when I get around to it someday...

xmastree
February 28th, 2007, 10:04 AM
yesterday it was raining, so I couldn't do it. Today it's sunny, too nice to do it.

Maybe tomorrow

davidgypsy
February 28th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Why put off until tomorrow what can be put off indefinitly...

steven8
February 28th, 2007, 12:24 PM
I keep meaning to get back to this thread, but there is always something else which needs done. . .

Brynster
February 28th, 2007, 02:37 PM
I would be appathetic if i wasn't so busy procastinating.

Nda
February 28th, 2007, 02:43 PM
I'd love to help, but........you know how it is

manmower
February 28th, 2007, 02:51 PM
I was going to start a similar guide... but then I got high.

gabhla
February 28th, 2007, 04:12 PM
I have to check with my wife.

reacocard
February 28th, 2007, 04:23 PM
I'll contribute! One thing everyone seems to forget is whitespace, so here's some to get you started. I'll throw in a few periods too.

I'll get you some more, after I finish this snack. :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

tjtansey
February 28th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Finally, I have time to dedicate to this project so here goes:

izanbardprince
February 28th, 2007, 04:41 PM
I think the first chapter will be "The Top Ten Reasons to Procrastonate."

1. Because you like paying Microsoft.

2. Because you like how every Windows program ever written likes to load itself in the system tray on start up.

3. Because you like buying antivirus pattern file subscriptions.

4. Because you bought your system from HP, Dell, or eMachines, it has 256 megs of RAM, and you like being out of RAM before your system finishes booting.

5. Because you like getting security patches, 6 months after live exploit code made it onto the internet.

6. You like running Windows XP with Security Enhancing Service Pack 2, that still runs all users in Administrator mode

7. You don't mind that the nice version of Windows Vista costs $300 and slows your system down 15% vs XP.

8. You don't mind re-purchasing all of your software every time a new version of Windows is out and breaks your old copy.

9. Because Internet Explorer IS an operating system component.

10. Because you like having to spend a couple hours every week running a defrag because the file system is freaking ancient.

tjtansey
February 28th, 2007, 04:47 PM
1. Because you like paying Microsoft.

2. Because you like how every Windows program ever written likes to load itself in the system tray on start up.

3. Because you like buying antivirus pattern file subscriptions.

4. Because you bought your system from HP, Dell, or eMachines, it has 256 megs of RAM, and you like being out of RAM before your system finishes booting.

5. Because you like getting security patches, 6 months after live exploit code made it onto the internet.

6. You like running Windows XP with Security Enhancing Service Pack 2, that still runs all users in Administrator mode

7. You don't mind that the nice version of Windows Vista costs $300 and slows your system down 15% vs XP.

8. You don't mind re-purchasing all of your software every time a new version of Windows is out and breaks your old copy.

9. Because Internet Explorer IS an operating system component.

10. Because you like having to spend a couple hours every week running a defrag because the file system is freaking ancient.
Interesting, but we haven't come to the conclusion that it is appropriate to start on the reasons. We are just in the exploratory stages. I will add your suggestion to the agenda for the commitee, just as soon as I finish with figuring out beryl.
Of course before I do that, I have this script to debug, then I have...

I do think we can condense your reasons in to one however:
"Oh well, I'll just download this service pack. for the OS and this update for the antivirus and this patch for the firewall. Ok now I'm going to update the office suite. Now that that's done, I'll install this new service pack..."

Why start in the first place;)

BLTicklemonster
February 28th, 2007, 05:19 PM
I think this is a really good idea, but imo you need to begin with a proposal on how to proceed with this monumental undertaking.

I have already started a project along the same lines as this, and have a detailed prospectus on what it takes to begin the proposal phase that is in the early stages of development. This prospectus includes plans on organizing a multi phased initiative looking into the quickest way to accomplish setting target dates for projects which need to be done in a timely manner.

While not finished, I do have a great start on it.

I'll get it right quick and post it here shortly, I promise, just give me a little while to cross my eyes and dot my ts, and I'll post it here asap.

tjtansey
February 28th, 2007, 05:44 PM
That's exactly what we need, a prospectus and an initiative and, well, I'm sure we can use a few other big words like that.

Now I just have to remember what I did with my pen...

matthew
February 28th, 2007, 05:44 PM
I think this is a really good idea, but imo you need to begin with a proposal on how to proceed with this monumental undertaking.
Should we try to schedule a meeting to discuss the proposal?

tjtansey
February 28th, 2007, 05:49 PM
A meeting, yes that's what we need! I'll get my calendar, I think I left next to the pen...

NewOldTimer
February 28th, 2007, 05:55 PM
A meeting, yes that's what we need! I'll get my calendar, I think I left next to the pen...

it's all set... second Tuesday of next week, that would be the 12th of never... mark it down

doobit
February 28th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Has anyone suggested that we form a committee yet? I won't personally suggest it, but someone should.

tjtansey
February 28th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Has anyone suggested that we form a committee yet? I won't personally suggest it, but someone should.
I do believe the committee has been suggested (if only I knew how to set up a group;)), along with and agenda for it, and we even set a date to meet, provided something doesn't come up:rolleyes:

matthew
February 28th, 2007, 06:23 PM
I do believe the committee has been suggested (if only I knew how to set up a group;)), along with and agenda for it, and we even set a date to meet, provided something doesn't come up:rolleyes:Before we can have a committee or a group we need to take nominations. Let's put that on the schedule later.

OldTimeTech
February 28th, 2007, 06:23 PM
How bout a whiteboard for all the interesting stuff we're going to talk about or whatever

macogw
February 28th, 2007, 07:23 PM
I found the round tuit site extremly funny in its failure to fact check.

Check out the Egyptian History. It says that Tutankamun was Neffatuit's son. Not just was there no Neffatuit, but Tutankamun's geneology is unknowm (although it is believed that his father was Amenhotep IV, aka Akenatun, and his mother was one of Akenatun's many secondary wives).

Expect a bunch of information from me-when I get around to it.
The bottom of the site says all the characters and stories are made up.

ruz322
February 28th, 2007, 07:25 PM
you guys can definitely maybe count me in on this project. I will learn to write in C++ in a few minutes

lyceum
February 28th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Sorry to spoil things, bit I already wrote this book, I just need to get it typed. I will do it tomorrow. If you ask me tomorrow if is is done, it will not be as by then, it will be today ;)

tjtansey
February 28th, 2007, 07:53 PM
AH but you wrote a book, where we are just trying to compile a guide. As everyone knows, you can guide a horse to water, but you can't make him drink\\:D/

now where did I put that white board?

NewOldTimer
February 28th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Title suggestion for Guide/Book
"How not to feel put-off about putting-off things that should not be put-off"...Part 1

muguwmp67
February 28th, 2007, 10:05 PM
I want to help too! But I need to clean some stuff off of my plate first:

Finish configuring Ubuntu
Pay my taxes
Visit my dentist
Organize my closets
Sell all of my extra computer hardware on Ebay
Start my blog
Get a life

Once I get that done I'd really like to get involved. I'm a Unitarian-Universalist, so I know all about committees and am sure I can help there!

tjtansey
February 28th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Title suggestion for Guide/Book
"How not to feel put-off about putting-off things that should not be put-off"...Part 1
"While getting around to the things that have already been put-off"

I know that notebook is around here somewhere...

Sammi
March 1st, 2007, 12:21 AM
I think we need to do a brainstorm and mindmap before we begin on anything else. Who'll organize it?

tjtansey
March 1st, 2007, 04:27 AM
I'd volunteer to organize it, but I can't find my pen...notebook...whiteboard...

Oh what the heck I'll just go to the store and get some new ones!

Now where are those keys...#-o

saulgoode
March 1st, 2007, 04:43 AM
Some day I am going to look up how to spell it in a dictionary.

NewOldTimer
March 1st, 2007, 05:54 AM
Some day I am going to look up how to spell it in a dictionary.

"i" was gonna mention it but..."o" you know I'm so busy

tjtansey
March 1st, 2007, 06:57 AM
It's just one more thing to "A"ddress when we reach the editing phase;)

DoctorMO
March 1st, 2007, 07:17 AM
I'll Read page 5 of this thread later, dohickey project first though eh.

xyz
March 1st, 2007, 09:22 AM
oops sorry wrong post.....

koenn
March 1st, 2007, 07:26 PM
I get the impression some people are trying to rush this project by moving forward on committees, agenda's and meetings or by blindly following some project guidelines designed for other projects. Both approaches will probably not lead to the intended result, as has been demonstrated in the past.
I think a work group should be formed to design a framework - then possible in a next phase a task force can be created to work out the details to get this project on the tracks. We should not forget to get all stake holders' input during the process.

I will give this some more thought soon and then report back.

matthew
March 1st, 2007, 07:59 PM
I get the impression some people are trying to rush this project ...

I will give this some more thought soon and then report back.You may be right. Let me join you in giving this some careful consideration before taking any of the actions we have suggested thus far.

tjtansey
March 1st, 2007, 08:37 PM
I think a work group should be formed to design a framework - then possible in a next phase a task force can be created to work out the details to get this project on the tracks. We should not forget to get all stake holders' input during the process.

I totally agree, we should give some serious consideration to building some tracks for the project to be on.
I will see if I can find someone to outsource a set of plans for said tracks. Perhaps we can find someone to adapt an existing set to keep costs down.

As soon as I get some results I will report them here.

happy-and-lost
March 1st, 2007, 09:05 PM
"Procrastination isn't the problem, it's the solution. Procrastinate now, don't put it off." - Ellen Degeneres

sherlock-holmes
March 1st, 2007, 09:24 PM
i will post my comments later!

NewOldTimer
March 2nd, 2007, 12:29 AM
is it break-time yet? I'm plumb tuckered out from all of this thinking.

doobit
March 2nd, 2007, 01:46 AM
I get the impression some people are trying to rush this project by moving forward on committees, agenda's and meetings or by blindly following some project guidelines designed for other projects. Both approaches will probably not lead to the intended result, as has been demonstrated in the past.

Ah! I think an administrator has arrived! That's bad, or in this case, good.

tjtansey
March 3rd, 2007, 03:52 AM
Well since the weekend is coming up I propose we table all decision making until Monday. I will document any discoveries I make about the things I am investigating, but won't act on them until the appropriate time.

H.E. Pennypacker
March 3rd, 2007, 04:24 AM
This thread is making too much progress for procrastinators. Slow down.

BLTicklemonster
March 3rd, 2007, 01:58 PM
WHAT? I can't believe we're not finished yet! We need to call in the Vista team so we can set a target date for completion!

(lmao, sorry, that's mean, they can't help it)

tjtansey
March 4th, 2007, 01:54 AM
WHAT? I can't believe we're not finished yet! We need to call in the Vista team so we can set a target date for completion!
We want everything to work don't we? We will finish no thread before it's time[-(

BLTicklemonster
March 4th, 2007, 02:42 AM
We want everything to work don't we? We will finish no thread before it's time[-(

So you reckon about two weeks?

tjtansey
March 4th, 2007, 03:37 AM
Two weeks might be enough time to finalize the agenda for the preliminary discussions pertaining to the exploration into a meeting to decide if a committee is needed to set up the focus group which might give us an indication of the direction our study may go. Certainly we will need to decide on a Secretary of the group to ensure the minutes are saved for posterity. So what we really need are nominations for that office so we don't overlook anything entertained in the proceedings.

Now if I can only find my copy of "Roberts Rules of Parliamentary Procedures," I just know we're going to need them...

Cloudy
March 4th, 2007, 03:50 AM
Hell, I'll throw my hat into the ring as soon as I finish building this bicycle..

NewOldTimer
March 4th, 2007, 03:55 AM
Hell, I'll throw my hat into the ring as soon as I finish building this bicycle..

That hat will never get picked up with the crowd around here :)

Cloudy
March 4th, 2007, 04:01 AM
That hat will never get picked up with the crowd around here :)

It wasn't going to get picked up, at least by me, in well... ever. Bending over is too much effort. :popcorn:

BLTicklemonster
March 4th, 2007, 04:03 AM
Somebody get that hat for me willya? I'm busy here.

NewOldTimer
March 4th, 2007, 04:08 AM
I'll get it, just give me some time, please

BLTicklemonster
March 4th, 2007, 04:16 AM
Hey, while you're up, run get us some doughnuts? And some coffee? And a bagel. And a newspaper, we need a newspaper.

tjtansey
March 4th, 2007, 04:22 AM
It's not that we don't want to get anything done, we just want to take careful consideration to ensure whatever gets done takes it's proper course. Perhaps we should ask Fangorn to chair our first meeting to make sure we aren't to "hasty".

As soon as I find my pen I'll get that hat for you;)

OrangeCrate
March 4th, 2007, 01:04 PM
I'll... I'm sorry what were we talking about again?

OrangeCrate
March 4th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Oh ya, I remember now. It reminds of a story I heard...

gosh
March 4th, 2007, 01:20 PM
I would love to participate! I'm always a team player and a big brain stormer.
I'll come back to you after I read the previous 9 (nine!) pages of this thread sometime later today of tomorrow or something.

koenn
March 4th, 2007, 01:24 PM
.... to keep costs down.
Oh - we need a budget. I'll draft one, next week or so (we're on a weekend break aren't we ?)

Two weeks might be enough time to finalize the agenda for the preliminary discussions pertaining to the exploration into a meeting to decide if a committee is needed to set up the focus group which might give us an indication of the direction our study may go. Certainly we will need to decide on a Secretary of the group to ensure the minutes are saved for posterity. So what we really need are nominations for that office so we don't overlook anything entertained in the proceedings.

We may also need a coordinating body to make sure the committee, the focus group, and possibly the people in charge of budgets remain, well, coordinated and don't waste anybody's time.
I will draft some recommendations as soon as I'm done drafting a budget.

OrangeCrate
March 4th, 2007, 01:36 PM
We may also need a coordinating body to make sure the committee, the focus group, and possibly the people in charge of budgets remain, well, coordinated and don't waste anybody's time.
I will draft some recommendations as soon as I'm done drafting a budget.

:D Been there, done that.

tjtansey
March 4th, 2007, 04:06 PM
That's the spirit! I for one am glad we have decided not to decide on anything until it's time to decide on something. Now all we have to do is decide what we want to consider deciding on and when it is appropriate to decide on it.

(Civics/government teachers take note: this is how a democracy really works:D)

matthew
March 4th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Hey, guys, I just got called out of town for a week. Can we postpone the important parts of the discussion until I get back? Thanks.

koenn
March 4th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Fine with me. I think we're making good progress here so a 1 week break should be OK.
I need to get some other projects going anyway, so I can have a look at those during that week. First thing tomorrow.

tjtansey
March 4th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Well that makes it easy, we have a motion which was seconded to table further decisions until a later date. We can now open the issue for debate, which is likely to end up in a filibuster, which may cause us to delay the decision even further. Once that is done however we can finally decide what it is we want to decide upon. Isn't democracy great=D> :-\"

koenn
March 4th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Could we postpone the filibuster for a while ? I'd like to join in but not now, I'm busy.

OrangeCrate
March 4th, 2007, 08:19 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzz What? No, not now, I'm waiting for a conference call. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

gosh
March 4th, 2007, 09:05 PM
I would like to propose to wait at least a week and a day before we take any action what so ever. It is a sunday today, you know. And in a weeks time it will be probably another sunday. My working week usually starts on a monday, that is if I'm not busy with more important things, so.

NewOldTimer
March 4th, 2007, 09:12 PM
this terminology ..."working week" what is this? is it like a "FULL" week of work, wow I don't want a job there, how do you manage to have any free time?

gosh
March 4th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Well actually, working week means it starts on monday and ends somewhere a few days later and in that time slot it is that I should be doing some work of a kind, sort of.

But what do you mean with "free time"? What do you actually do then? Is that your "quality time"?
I learned from my grandfather that if you have a job that you enjoy, you'll never have to have free time.
Mmmm, I love my job!

migla
March 4th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Planning on starting it tomorrow.:-k

Hehe...

BLTicklemonster
March 4th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Well, Rome wasn't built in a day, so what's the rush?

floke
March 4th, 2007, 11:11 PM
I agree, it seems like everyone's being a bit too hasty here.
Maybe some consultants would help....?

NewOldTimer
March 4th, 2007, 11:22 PM
But what do you mean with "free time"? What do you actually do then? Is that your "quality time"?

I use ALL my free time thinking about if I should be actually working :)

tjtansey
March 8th, 2007, 07:11 AM
glad to see everyone is getting their plates cleaned up. Now if I could just get these routers at the house configured right...

of course any help would be great
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=379031

koenn
March 12th, 2007, 08:36 PM
OK, where were we ?

gosh
March 12th, 2007, 08:46 PM
OK, where were we ?

Well, I'm still here ...

saulgoode
March 12th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Well, Saturday is St. Patrick's Day (a holiday honoring the patron saint of green beer) so it is unlikely that I will accomplish anything before then. And Sunday, well that's St. Cyril's Day (presumably the patron saint of green hangovers) so I will have to get back to you sometime next week.

BLTicklemonster
March 12th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Isn't St. Smithens day coming up soon?

gosh
March 12th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Isn't St. Smithens day coming up soon?
Yes, that is if he can get his act together

BLTicklemonster
March 12th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Ah, yes, right.

Well then; bad news. I had my guide completely done up with 8x10 color glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one, but my dog ate it.

koenn
March 12th, 2007, 11:03 PM
is the dog OK ?

tjtansey
March 12th, 2007, 11:08 PM
It's funny you should mention that, I had rule number one copied, collated and spell checked and my nephew used it as a template for a coloring book. The good news is he might be a budding Rembrant=D>

BLTicklemonster
March 12th, 2007, 11:22 PM
is the dog OK ?

Wouldn't you know it? I had all kinds of script in that guide, and now the dog's compiling all over the carpet!!!!

BAD DOG!

gosh
March 12th, 2007, 11:43 PM
I might like your dog

zubrug
March 13th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Dammit!, forgot what I was going to say, hmmmmmmm, it'l come to me, wait......

machoo02
March 13th, 2007, 04:30 AM
Well, Saturday is St. Patrick's Day (a holiday honoring the patron saint of green beer) so it is unlikely that I will accomplish anything before then. And Sunday, well that's St. Cyril's Day (presumably the patron saint of green hangovers) so I will have to get back to you sometime next week.

And don't forget, Wednesday is Pi Day (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi_Day). Festivities will begin at 1:59, so I think that afternoon is completely shot as well...

matthew
March 13th, 2007, 11:43 AM
I just got back from my trip. I will need a few days to get rested up before I can really contribute. Do you think we can have a short delay?

BLTicklemonster
March 13th, 2007, 01:28 PM
I'm feeling a little "put off" by all this deadline stuff....

har har har

yabbadabbadont
March 13th, 2007, 01:33 PM
One of these days, I'll have to read this thread.

beefcurry
March 13th, 2007, 01:37 PM
maybe, afterwards. I'll get to it later.

NewOldTimer
March 29th, 2007, 04:21 AM
I've been really busy lately what with playing my guitar, getting my Jeep ready for spring,eating,sleeping you know all that Important stuff. So my question is where do we stand on this?

reacocard
March 29th, 2007, 04:36 AM
I've been really busy lately what with playing my guitar, getting my Jeep ready for spring,eating,sleeping you know all that Important stuff. So my question is where do we stand on this?

Um, I don't know. Can I get back to you on that?

BLTicklemonster
March 29th, 2007, 04:49 AM
It's finished, right? Didn't someone say it was finished and sent to the printers for proofreading?

jjbean
March 29th, 2007, 08:19 AM
Wow a project! Someone send me a memo and I can maybe look into after South Park. Hold that thought maybe later got to take a nap to clear my head. I will have my people make contact in a few.........

BLTicklemonster
March 29th, 2007, 04:46 PM
UPDATE:

Okay, thank you all for submitting your work to me so that I could send it to the printers. (sorry, I forgot I was the one doing that :) ) Upon receipt, I suppose I should not have assured you all to delete your files, which you all replied that you had, because I sent it all off the the printers via courier, and he had an accident. He was sipping coffee when a dog ran out in front of his van, and he swerved to miss the dog only to notice that there was a larger van parked to his right, and an even larger van coming directly towards him in the oncoming lane. Our hero decided at that time the the only thing to do is to drop the coffee, and slam on the brakes in hopes that he would not hit the dog. Upon hearing the screech of breaks, the dog emitted massive quantities of fecal matter in a rather long stream directly across the path of the van. Needless to say, the front tires of the van lost traction upon contact with this rather slick substance, and the van careened into the van parked on the side of the road, spun sideways, and hit the other larger van in the oncoming traffic, resulting in a fireball of tremendous proportions. The drivers of the two vans escaped without injury, but the contents of both vehicles are a total loss. The dog escaped unscathed, but I know where it lives, so I will remedy that situation as time permits.

So great, I'll just take the archives and download them to a CD again, and send them out again.... I thought. But no, it's not that simple... the van also knocked the parked van into a power pole, which caused a tranformer to explode, which sent a surge though the wire leading into my house. I'm glad to say that the 60 dollar power strip surge protector escaped with no ill effect, but apparently it takes a larger dose of electricity to cause it to protect anything, because my hard drives are now melted blobs, as is most everything on my desk.

Glad I have more than one computer...

Sooooo.... I have started over, and would suggest you all do, too. Anyone got any ideas what we were actually trying to accomplish with this?

koenn
March 29th, 2007, 07:28 PM
at least the dog is ok.
no harm done.
now if we just take a few days to consider how we can prevent this sort of thing to happen again ...

SavantEdge
March 29th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Clearly, as this is of vital importance, I recommend we begin immediately..!

gosh
March 29th, 2007, 09:19 PM
I hope the community doesn't hear about this disaster, because then all good will we have build up so far will be washed down the drain (together with the dog poo).

Anyway, the most important thing now is to stay calm and don't rush into things.

BLTicklemonster
March 29th, 2007, 09:33 PM
I say we hold a vote on whether or not to vote on voting as to whether or not we need to vote on how to carry on from here.

All in favor, think really hard about this then get back to me with your opinion. 3 paragraphs, double spaced, please.

Or not.

I can't decide.

compiledkernel
March 29th, 2007, 09:38 PM
We apologise for the fault in the communication on the Forums. Those responsible have been sacked. Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked, have been sacked. The directors of the firm hired to continue forum communication after the other people had been sacked, wish it to be known that they have just been sacked.

Henceforth all forum communication has nowbeen completed in an entirely different style at great expense and at the last minute.

--The Forum Sacking and Communication board

BLTicklemonster
March 29th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Can I get a sack of fries with that order?

oooh, don't tell me, they were all Saxons?

:)

Sorry, had to.

koenn
March 29th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Henceforth all forum communication has nowbeen completed in an entirely different style at great expense and at the last minute.

Could you please write that again, slowly ? I didn't get it.

BLTicklemonster
March 29th, 2007, 10:21 PM
He said something about saxaphone players from Saxony.

NewOldTimer
March 30th, 2007, 03:39 AM
How did we get off the guide track and into talking about sax?

migla
March 30th, 2007, 03:53 AM
I have a feeling we need some Equadorian llamas. I should look into that.

BLTicklemonster
March 30th, 2007, 03:56 AM
How did we get off the guide track and into talking about sax?

Nag nag nag, all right fellas, back to work. http://climbatizeut.users.btopenworld.com/f-smilies/f-nag.gif

Clay_Banger
March 30th, 2007, 04:00 AM
Nag nag nag, all right fellas, back to work. http://climbatizeut.users.btopenworld.com/f-smilies/f-nag.gif

yes sir! what ever u say sir! its just... i have other things 2 do...

BLTicklemonster
March 30th, 2007, 04:15 AM
Bah, me too. Let's get together on this on Monday, and call it a weekend, shall we?

Dual Cortex
March 30th, 2007, 04:36 AM
I'll start one I'm finished reading the entire thread.

Catsworth
March 30th, 2007, 08:31 AM
No you're not, there's another post after yours.

Suggest you go back to the beginning just in case you've missed anything else.

STREETURCHINE
March 30th, 2007, 08:35 AM
by crickey i am gonna learn how to ubuntu ,i shall start tommorrow

use a name
March 30th, 2007, 11:16 AM
I'm not late with saying I'll help too, I hope? I mean, you've only started 4 weeks ago.

STREETURCHINE
March 30th, 2007, 11:21 AM
i have put some serious thought into this,and i will get round to do something about it .after golf on sunday

picpak
March 30th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Seemed like a good idea 4 weeks ago, but now I don't know...we'll see by the end of the day.

koenn
March 30th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Seems that some are loosing steam :
Seemed like a good idea 4 weeks ago, but now I don't know...we'll see by the end of the day.

so I gues we can use some new blood.

I'm not late with saying I'll help too, I hope? I mean, you've only started 4 weeks ago. I'm in favour. Of course, you have missed 4 weeks of preparation so we need to get you up to speed asap. I suggest we start rightaway - i.e. some time next week (the weekend's started and I already have other commitments for next week) - we'll see

23meg
March 30th, 2007, 05:08 PM
asap.

rightaway

Even using those words is so against the spirit here; you should seriously consider editing them out. Just consider for a while, no need to rush it.

compiledkernel
March 30th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Im in favor of these changes , however you need to file the proper in favor of changes form, additionally however, you will need to file a requested changes form, signed in triplicate. After that the proper process procedure form will also be needed. After that, please file the carpal tunnel change request advertisement form, all 500 pages, and faxed in triplicate back to the home office.

-- The Vogon Change Control Board

koenn
March 30th, 2007, 05:18 PM
the carpal tunnel change request advertisement form

Would that be the ordinary carpal tunnel change request advertisement form for use in project membership procedures or the revised carpal tunnel change request advertisement form that is normally only used in membership procedures for mailing lists and forum discussions ?

koenn
March 30th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Even using those words is so against the spirit here; you should seriously consider editing them out. Just consider for a while, no need to rush it.
I thought the use of "asap" would be acceptable in this context - I've used it in a lot of procrastination projects and noone ever objected to it.
However, I will evaluate your comments and will seriously consider apologizing for the use of the word "rightaway" - could be something to do next Sunday afternoon ... I'll keep it in mind

Bartender
March 30th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Excuse me, but I'm far too busy to read all the way back thru this thread - could youall please start over again?
Oh, and please send me a memo when that's been accomplished

Thank you

BLTicklemonster
March 31st, 2007, 12:27 AM
Pfft, later, It's the weekend, bro.

migla
March 31st, 2007, 04:57 AM
I feel like I should get the hell out of this thread, It's getting pretty frustrating. I'll soon maybe decide if I will think of leaving, I think.

matthew
March 31st, 2007, 09:19 AM
Hmm. After reading the last few contributions to the project, I have come to the opinion that the process we are using is a little flawed. I think we need to reorganize.

Let's schedule a meeting to examine our current process and discuss the reorganization.

Of course, we will need a pre-meeting to plan the meeting.

Think about it and maybe we can get to this after the weekend...

fuscia
March 31st, 2007, 09:25 AM
am i too late?

slayerboy
March 31st, 2007, 09:56 AM
am i too late?
better late than never!

fuscia
March 31st, 2007, 10:02 AM
better late than never!

cool! i'll be back...

Bigbluecat
March 31st, 2007, 11:15 AM
Before getting into any restructuring meetings someone really needs to come up with a process flow chart outlining each stage of the process and the key stakeholders.

This can then be circulated for comment and amendment by the parties involved.

tjtansey
April 13th, 2007, 04:14 AM
Well I'd say we could get started on that, let me see what my schedule will allow and I'll get back to you.

BLTicklemonster
April 13th, 2007, 04:29 AM
Shhhh, I'm trying to think.

kragen
April 13th, 2007, 05:39 AM
Dammit, I was really hoping this would be a genuine list of pointless things to do on ubuntu :D

BLTicklemonster
April 13th, 2007, 05:42 AM
Great idea! Somebody want to add that to the "to do" list? I'm tied up right now.

yabbadabbadont
April 13th, 2007, 05:54 AM
I'm tied up right now.

Sounds kinky. No wonder nothing ever gets done around here... :twisted:

koenn
April 13th, 2007, 10:29 AM
what do you mean 'nothing gets done around here" ? We're making wonderful progress. Just look at all the posts about what everybody here is planning to do - next to all the other stuff that's already on everybody's plate. I think we're all relly hard workers. I for one am planning to get busy on this guide any time soon now.

BLTicklemonster
April 13th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Yeah! We're on a stall- I mean roll here!

eXisor
April 13th, 2007, 02:02 PM
It's all done in theory.

tjtansey
April 15th, 2007, 04:46 AM
Keep in mind we wouldn't want to do anything hasty. Complete exploration of every concept will ensure no errors on our part.

Nonno Bassotto
April 16th, 2007, 02:12 AM
I'd add my part, but I think I'll wait until Feisty gets out.