PDA

View Full Version : San Francisco Bay Area/Anywhere Nearby

corevette
February 27th, 2007, 03:53 AM
Since there's soo many Ubuntu users in California, we should have our own here in the Bay Area. Just sign your name and where your from or whatever to get things rolling!

PsychoKlown
February 27th, 2007, 05:34 AM
Gilbert

San Jose, CA

vgeneral
February 28th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Victor

San Jose, CA

gr83
March 1st, 2007, 12:57 AM
Gilbert

San Jose, CA:)

moschops
March 13th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Moschops, Oakland CA

rennen01
March 13th, 2007, 07:49 PM
You guys have way more activity than San Diego. :)

Motoxrdude
March 17th, 2007, 05:11 AM
I use just use ubuntu. I used kubuntu for awhile but got tired of KDE.

Santa Rosa, CA

gradedcheese
March 18th, 2007, 01:09 AM
So, what sort of thing are you trying to organize?

tdatu
March 22nd, 2007, 06:55 AM
tdatu
san jose CA.

AMD 3000+
Dapper Drake 6.06 LTS / Win XP
Nvidia fx5200
Dual Monitor
XGL+Beryl

Use of my system is for Video and Photo editing (proprietary) :
Adobe Premiere, Photoshop CS, Illustrator

OpenSource Apps:
Gimp 2.0, OpenOffice, Inkscape (A little bit), and trying to figure out Cinelerra.

School Work:
I love Openoffice Calc..I deal a lot with Linear Programming (Business Optimization)
Things that MSExcel does.

lcafiero
March 24th, 2007, 10:02 PM
I'm in Santa Cruz -- I hope that's close enough to count -- although I spent a great part (actually the greatest part) of my adulthood in San Francisco.

One vote for Xubuntu!

Larry Cafiero

bvmou
March 24th, 2007, 11:53 PM
I'm Brian, from San Francisco by way of Berkeley by way of San Jose. All I'm missing is Marin and I'll have all points of the Bay Area compass. I use Edgy and Gnome on my laptop and Debian Etch on my desktop.

Maybe we could get enough people on a mailing list to appear to have big numbers, then lobby for discounts with some stores.

We could also maybe shake up the LOCO naming paradigm. I think Yay Area Ubuntu Society of America -- YAUSA -- has a nice ring.

Incidentally, I have a gift certificate for Barnes and Noble that I am expecting to redeem for tech books. I used a bit under half of it for the O'Reilly Asterisk book, which is great. Has anyone got any thoughts about what else I might look at?

neorou
April 5th, 2007, 02:02 AM
Oakland. I use all three but mostly xubuntu and ubuntu, in that order. 6.10.

Dralt
April 7th, 2007, 12:36 AM
L
San Jose, CA

SWR
April 8th, 2007, 06:56 AM
Ubuntu all the way!

Walnut Creek, CA.

sstickeler
April 9th, 2007, 10:52 PM
San Jose

amohanty
April 11th, 2007, 06:53 AM
AM

Desktop: Edgy
Laptop1: Dapper + Fluxbox
Laptop2: Edgy + Beryl

How about a meetup for some beer and a marathon session posting on the forums :)

El Cerrito.

snarfer
April 11th, 2007, 08:57 AM
I use just use ubuntu. I used kubuntu for awhile but got tired of KDE.

Santa Rosa, CA
Same here! Rock on.
:guitar:

surfbywire
April 13th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Mountain View, CA

Motoxrdude
April 13th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Same here! Rock on.
:guitar:

Sweet, what part?

aysiu
April 13th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Does anyone know if InstallFests still happen these days?

Syke
April 16th, 2007, 01:22 AM
Hello from Berkeley!

re: The Poll, there's no spot for "All of the above".

re: Installfest: Silicon Valley LUG (http://www.svlug.org/installfest/index.php) is holding an Installfest down in Mountain View this Saturday 4/21. With luck, Feisty will be released and we can have a Feisty Instllfest!

PsychoKlown
April 16th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Hello from Berkeley!

re: The Poll, there's no spot for "All of the above".

re: Installfest: Silicon Valley LUG (http://www.svlug.org/installfest/index.php) is holding an Installfest down in Mountain View this Saturday 4/21. With luck, Feisty will be released and we can have a Feisty Instllfest!

Thanks for the info Skye! I've never heard about InstallFest, but I'm so glad I did. I'll try as hard as possible to show up!

You rock! :guitar:

anoir
April 25th, 2007, 06:54 AM
Hi, Californians!

I am a happy Ubuntu user, who is going to move to S.F. Bay Area this summer. Good to know that there are lots of users.

snarfer
April 28th, 2007, 07:09 AM
@Moxrdude:
I live right on the outskirts of town, nearer to Sebastopol and Occidental Rd.

nicepants
May 11th, 2007, 01:10 AM
hey everyone!

one more vote for xubuntu.

i'm currently in sacramento, but hopefully i'll be moved back down to the bay (san mateo'ish area) within a few months.

Motoxrdude
May 12th, 2007, 05:49 AM
@Moxrdude:
I live right on the outskirts of town, nearer to Sebastopol and Occidental Rd.

Ah, i live in west SR, near piner high.

rennen01
May 12th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Hello everyone.

I have taken over as head of the California LoCo Team.

-Does anyone in the Bay Area want to volunteer to organize Meetings for the Bay Area?
-Do you think NorCal has to be split into various groups for Meetings or would you rather meet as one big group?

If you are interested in being an Organizer, please PM me.

neoneo
June 4th, 2007, 04:43 AM
Hello from cupertino ...

Mirko

Eric_
June 9th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Los Gatos/San Jose

SubWolf
June 10th, 2007, 06:47 AM
Felton, near Santa Cruz.

eddymul
June 17th, 2007, 03:09 AM
Hayward, CA

Jamester64
June 29th, 2007, 03:22 AM
James

Santa Clara CA

ric3125
July 1st, 2007, 10:45 PM
Ric

Vallejo, Ca

mthaddon
July 30th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Tom

San Francisco, CA

dholbert
July 31st, 2007, 08:35 PM
Daniel
Mountain View

maino82
July 31st, 2007, 09:37 PM
Dave Maino

San Jose

Yasumoto
August 1st, 2007, 06:03 PM
Dang... that's a lot of Linux in Northern California ... :)

force4
August 7th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Another Ubuntu [4 if we count all of my computers] fan in Santa Cruz.

I'm new to Linux as of June when I bought a new laptop [hp dv2313 amdx2]. It came with Vista home premium pre-installed and was extremely frustrating to use...and I'm an IT tech [consultant].

I tried fedora7 as my first distro and became disillusioned with linux right away....:(

Then after 2 weeks I tried Ubuntu.=D>

It has been SO...easy and enjoyable that I have now purged M$ from all computers except to dual boot with XP on my main workstation.

Loving life and work [and now computing] even more.

To escape the high tech world, I weekly go for "Ocean Therapy".

I captain a 40 sailing yacht here in Santa Cruz and invite any one [or all] of you local Ubuntu fans to join me in sailing the Monterey Bay.

http://cosmicmuffin.home.att.net/indexs.jpg

I always sail the "Beer Can" races on Wednesday @ 6:00 and at least one Saturday and Sunday each week.

Email me If you would like to come along.

Full details of the Muffin you will be sailing can be seen here:

http://cosmicmuffin.home.att.net/

CaptainCosmic

hsalgado
August 10th, 2007, 01:16 AM
Hello K/X/Ubuntuers... I use Ubuntu and I am in Berkeley.

elektrolott
August 14th, 2007, 09:36 PM
I am in Morgan Hill / San Jose and use Kubuntu

> I captain a 40 sailing yacht here in Santa Cruz and invite any one [or all] of you local Ubuntu fans to join me in sailing the Monterey Bay.

I certainly would love to :-)

jamvegan
August 18th, 2007, 06:32 AM
Jeff

Soquel (Santa Cruz County)...but hoping to move back to SF or Berkeley soon.

Spartan.II.117
August 20th, 2007, 09:52 AM
jordan
does chico count?
if not then santa rosa (summer)

bliffle
August 27th, 2007, 04:07 PM
John in Los Altos running ubuntu, About to install kubuntu and Knoppix (for variety) on other machines.

gguillen777
August 30th, 2007, 09:04 PM
this sounds cool. LA area should get one going huh?

blackhowling
September 4th, 2007, 08:25 AM
San Francisco, CA

LukeDaMonkey
September 10th, 2007, 06:37 AM
Fremont California

thought there would be more users from this city

surfous
September 12th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Kevin

San Jose

ichigokun
September 17th, 2007, 07:50 AM
ubuntu s.f. user hear dual booting on my dell p3 450 .after failed install of novell linux i deleted partition and i could not use my xp but the helpfull promps in the umbuntu installer got me back up and running .just need to set up nds wraper for wifi and load marathon for fun

chemturion
September 18th, 2007, 06:25 AM
Brian - San Francisco for Work, Walnut Creek for Home and School

shaft350x
September 19th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Jarrod, Seminarian in Berkeley. I've got my wife and a couple friends into it as well. I'd love to see the Graduate Theological Union take it up over Windows.

I'm actually in MN on internship this year, but I'll be back out there in 2008. I'd love to get involved with the LoCo team there though, still pretty green when it comes to Linux though.

bandoba
September 20th, 2007, 05:29 AM
From Sunnyvale, running Ubuntu AMD64 on AMD 4000+

bliffle
October 6th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Anyone interested in a (gasp!) physical meeting? Like at a cafe somewhere with free wifi so we don't have to abandon our keyboards? La Boulanger here in Los Altos is good: outdoor and indoor seating, pleasant environment, plenty of free parking, central location, close to 280 and El Monte. The coffee is OK and you get free refills.

lcafiero
October 6th, 2007, 07:54 PM
I'd come over the hill for that, bliffle -- I'm in Santa Cruz -- but I'll also throw out the same question on this side of the hill: Anyone in Santa Cruz up for a meeting? E-mail me at larry.cafiero@gmail.com

If you do meet up in Los Altos, let me know.

bliffle
October 6th, 2007, 09:19 PM
I'd come over the hill for that, bliffle -- I'm in Santa Cruz -- but I'll also throw out the same question on this side of the hill: Anyone in Santa Cruz up for a meeting? E-mail me at larry.cafiero@gmail.com

If you do meet up in Los Altos, let me know.

Heck, I might even go over the hill to Santa Cruz if you've got a nice spot, parking, free wifi, free refills, etc.

I'll mention it on IRC: #ubuntu-california

bliffle
October 9th, 2007, 12:11 PM
No bites, one light nibble.

No meeting planned, unless there's a groundswell of interest.

bliffle
October 10th, 2007, 06:30 PM
OK, I'll go trolling.

I'll be at the Los Altos Le Boulanger at Main St. and 2nd st. this afternoon from 3PM-4PM. I'll be sitting outside operating a black Thinkpad.

If anyone's interested, that is.

bliffle
October 10th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Well, I've been here waiting for a half hour.

Anyone?

bliffle
October 11th, 2007, 12:07 AM
No takers.

bvmou
October 13th, 2007, 07:25 AM
I'm with you Biffle, but there are apparently still some glitches in this whole asynchronous communication concept. Maybe what we need is a snowball effect, like the zombie mobs in SF or Critical Mass.

I just created a gmail account called ubuntubayarea@gmail.com. Everyone on this thread will get a pm with admin privileges in the next couple minutes.

You can use it at the address and the p-word is available to anyone who posts here or pm's and has made any posts.

Use your forlorn Epiphany ("sudo apt-get install epiphany-browser") or Opera browser to store the cookie and upload events. I will make a point of it. I was just at the Engadget event and it really brought the point home that life is too short to not meet the comrades in your midst.

Let's see if we can use the calendar. You can subsribe to an xml feed at this address:

http://www.google.com/calendar/feeds/ubuntubayarea%40gmail.com/public/basic

Anyone can upload an event. This is like twitter for people who can't be bothered. If this link has been dead for two months by the time anyone sees this, still upload, what does it cost?

The first person to upload will get my new 2 gig LG retractable USB mass storage device/ media player with support for OGG, mp3 etc and a good lithium ion battery, provided they pick it up in person. The second person can have an also brand new boxed Gigabyte S series motherboard supporting socket the 775 cpu's with the GPL'd 945 GMA video device. (I swapped it because I thought there was a motherboard problem when in fact it was the $.50 power circuit.) That condition means that any of the first ten could get either, given who's online in Estonia. I haven't used the media player more than 20 minutes since work provided a media-capable Blackberry. It is a shame to see it go to waste; this is not bribery, this is community :)

I am going to post a few events on the weekend and next, I hope someone changes them. The default location is Philz Coffee on 24th and Folsom, google it, it is the best coffee since Adam, it is worth a half hour or more by car and come to think of it I've driven farther. Airport cabs pull up there all the time for people who need one thing more than being at home. If you read Laughing Squid this is what Scott Beale is constantly raving about. It is possibly the only thing worth traveling more than 20 minutes for in the Bay Area, and it happens to be near BART. Plus the owner is the kind of guy who welcomes these things, in addition to being the Einstein of coffee.

My name is Brian and you can see me here at flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79112603@N00/). Hope to see some of you there or any other place you decide to change the calendar to.

See then,

Brian

PS-- Goes without saying you can FW info to people you trust. I will be there getting galvanized on Coffee either way, would love to connect

lcafiero
October 13th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Felton, near Santa Cruz.

SubWolf -- Felton here, too. Stop by HeliOS Solutions West at the Felton Trading Post (I'm usually there mornings, though) and let's talk.

Larry Cafiero
HeliOS Solutions West
"Bringing FOSS to the Redwoods"

lcafiero
October 13th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Just an observation:

According to the poll above, only three of us are using Xubuntu in the entire San Francisco Bay Area (and I'm not even technically in THAT Bay Area -- I'm in the Monterey Bay Area)?!?!

Larry Cafiero

bliffle
October 13th, 2007, 05:13 PM
So, we have people in Felton, Los Altos and SF? The only way we can be more geo-diverse is if Soquel and the Faralones check in. But I'm accustomed to being part of a group consisting entirely of outliers.

I have no day preference, and The Mish is OK geographically, altho the Centroid would seem to be travel-advantageous. Why, that would be right here in Los Altos. What a happy coincidence for some.

Is there parking at Philz? Hubcap safe? Oh, what matter? And who has actual hubcaps anymore?

bliffle
October 13th, 2007, 05:16 PM
If xubuntu = ubuntu + Xfce I've got one on my #2 computer. But I seldom use it.

lcafiero
October 13th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Well, I could make Los Altos easier on a Wednesday -- my only available day/night off -- or any morning, when the rest of the world is working. Eves are out for me (other than the aforementioned Wednesday; Tuesday I'm in school, the others have me at work). I'm going to try to monitor the forums better, but I do better with e-mail -- larry.cafiero@gmail.com.

This coffee at Philz better be that good, Brian . . . :-)

Larry Cafiero
HeliOS Solutions West -- Bringing FOSS to the Redwoods
Felton, California

bvmou
October 14th, 2007, 01:03 AM
Is it Monterey-to-San-Francisco good is a difficult question. I have gone from the South Bay to Castroville for The Central Texan BBQ, I would say Philz is to Peet's as The Central Texan is to Denny's. Here is a picture: http://flickr.com/photos/anderstao/158204932/ . Here is Philz photo pool on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/groups/philz/pool/

What was the first thing the iPone Dev team said when they got chat working on an iPhone?: http://flickr.com/photos/ari/765394474/

I made up the part about it being the first thing the dev team said, but you get the idea.

Now if you want to get together in Castroville, I have a suggestion too. Anywhere is good. Los Altos is fine as far as distance etc, and there isn't really easy parking by Philz, although you can park within a block or so on average.

bliffle
October 14th, 2007, 05:44 AM
Looks like the coffee is good at Philz. The coffee at LaBoulanger is mediocre, very mediocre, there's a Starbucks across the street but wifi is pay type, and Peets a block away has no wifi. Occasionally I've bought a coffee at Peets and walked over to LaBoulanger to use the wifi.

I don't mind driving up to The Mish if I can park not too far away, but how about the others.

Embedded Linux Guy
November 12th, 2007, 11:57 PM
I would meet at Philz if folks are interested. I'm running Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon and am interested in software development and audio/video/graphics production.

bliffle
November 16th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Interest in a fleshy meeting seems to have atrophied. Winter weather is probably not going to help.

Thomaseov
November 17th, 2007, 12:14 AM
I enjoyed the hell out of this thread. I live in Grasmere England now (Wordsworth's village in the Lake District) but really enjoyed hearing the names of all the Bay area places again. (I use to live in Berkeley, Piedmont and SF when a grad student at Berkeley 13 years ago but have moved here via Pakistan, Afghanistan Uganda and El Salvadaor.) Thanks for the trip down memory lane though. By the way, I belong to the Cumbrian LUG which had as much luck getting a meeting together as you folks even though it was at the Old Dungeon Ghyll Pub at the foot of the Langdale Pikes(imagine brilliant beer, open fires and dry stone walls in the Yosemite Valley) . If you ever manage to get a meeting together, I'll be back in the Bay area for a few weeks in January and would try to show up.
Thomas

PS. Been an Ubuntu user since Warty.

lonesomecrow
November 17th, 2007, 03:30 AM
This is Diego from Fairfield, CA. Adding one more vote for Ubuntu!:guitar:

bliffle
November 17th, 2007, 09:13 PM
I enjoyed the hell out of this thread. I live in Grasmere England now (Wordsworth's village in the Lake District) but really enjoyed hearing the names of all the Bay area places again. (I use to live in Berkeley, Piedmont and SF when a grad student at Berkeley 13 years ago but have moved here via Pakistan, Afghanistan Uganda and El Salvadaor.) Thanks for the trip down memory lane though. By the way, I belong to the Cumbrian LUG which had as much luck getting a meeting together as you folks even though it was at the Old Dungeon Ghyll Pub at the foot of the Langdale Pikes(imagine brilliant beer, open fires and dry stone walls in the Yosemite Valley) . If you ever manage to get a meeting together, I'll be back in the Bay area for a few weeks in January and would try to show up.
Thomas

PS. Been an Ubuntu user since Warty.

I move that we hold the BA ubuntu meeting at Old Dungeon Ghyll Pub at the foot of the Langdale Pikes.

ricolinux
December 23rd, 2007, 09:12 PM
UBUNTU 7.10
East San Jose
Using LINUX for 2 years now
(Mandrake, Red Hat, Xandros and now Ubuntu)
heave 3 systems running ubuntu
one with EDUBUNTU
Ubuntu on a G3 PPC
and my main Gutsy Guibon
AMD 900
Matrox Video Milleniun
512 mgs Ram
80 GigsHd
129 Gigs Hd
CD-RW
external DVD-RW
I also have 3 XP boxes running several
flavors of web design and graphic design
programs, e, g Adobe, Macromedia, Netobjects
and Quickbooks

briwood
December 24th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Brian Wood
San Francisco, CA 94109

ricolinux
January 7th, 2008, 02:41 AM
ricolinux in East San Jose

philven
January 14th, 2008, 05:37 AM
Philven from Vacaville. I use Ubuntu 7.10 on an old HP laptop, and Kubuntu 7.10 on an old P-4 2.4 ghz desktop. Windows ran lousy on both so I switched and use only Linux based software on both.

alfermp
April 2nd, 2008, 03:40 AM
Alex Montenegro in San Jose South
Ready to help :guitar:

dedmonds
June 6th, 2008, 06:51 AM
Duane Edmonds

Oakland (home)
Menlo Park (work)

ivssatish
June 24th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Satish -Fremont,CA - Beginner to Ubuntu

grantbow
June 25th, 2008, 02:24 AM
Grant
Moraga, CA

Ademan
July 30th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Dan.
Pleasant Hill, CA.
Using Ubuntu since dapper betas.

gitpik
August 24th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Tom

San Leandro

KyleZOA
September 7th, 2008, 01:02 AM
Kyle
South City/San Bruno

rchennau
September 8th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Richard
San Leandro.

FYI: My son just started Kindegarten. Principle wants me to help out in their computer lab. I see an oppurtunity for edbuntu!

Ubuntu installs:
Mythbuntu : For recording OTA HDTV on an old ATI HDTV Wonder card
Ubuntu: Fujitsu Lifebook T-Series 4020
Ubuntu: Virtualized Ubuntu under Vista host running my blog.

thayle
October 29th, 2008, 06:01 AM
Scott

I live in Pleasanton, CA, but now I'm in Santa Cruz, CA going to UCSC.

bwitt
November 2nd, 2008, 09:58 PM
Ubuntu.

I'm in Oakland.

PhiberOptik24
November 12th, 2008, 07:24 AM
I'm Desi

Petaluma via San Francisco. Hello to everyone!! :guitar:

PhiberOptik24
November 12th, 2008, 07:30 AM
:guitar::lolflag:

Limeaids
January 21st, 2009, 12:58 AM
Palo Alto
Unbuntu and nUbuntu

ufugu
January 21st, 2009, 01:29 AM
I use Linux Mint. People think it's just Ubuntu with codecs added (kind of like some people think Ubuntu is no more than a polished up Debian) but there's more to it than that.

There's lots of refined system tools, a great menu, a better (to me) software update setup. And I have no idea why, but some things that I got so frustrated with in a clean install of Ibex (like getting my webcam to work, Flash audio issues etc) just plain work in a clean install of Mint 6 without any futzing. Plus the little things that really don't matter, like a better (to me) default setup and theme.

I used Ubuntu for a few years and I'm thankful it lays a solid groundwork for Mint. Go Ubuntu!

scotty in oakland

earthpigg
January 26th, 2009, 05:02 AM
Mill Valley, County of Marin, California Republic

currently living/working in the birthplace of Linux...

...will be returning home sometime around this fall.

i may be a eurobum for a while first.

ricolinux
April 2nd, 2009, 05:49 PM
ricolinux
Ubuntu 8.10 Server
miniubuntu 8.10
Ubuntu Desktop 8.10
Xubuntu
Win Vista for pGraphics (Adobe, Quickbooks, Etc)
East Hills, San Jose, Clifas:lolflag:

rlt
May 2nd, 2009, 01:13 AM

dpenelton
August 2nd, 2009, 07:09 PM
dpenelton
Oakland, Ca.
Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope user

gotbandwidth
September 1st, 2009, 08:01 PM
Out in B.F.E. Brentwood, Ca :cool:

5dolla
February 9th, 2010, 08:07 PM
5 dolla oakley/brentwood

robertneville777
February 15th, 2010, 10:22 PM
I'm not really near San Francisco, but I am in California ;) Inyokern, CA

JamezQ
February 16th, 2010, 03:25 PM
San Jose

Ryan_Singer
March 13th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Rockridge, Oakland, CA

HeWhoE
May 3rd, 2010, 04:53 AM
Huey
Livermore, CA

NUboon2Age
June 8th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Santa Clara

Ubuntu 10.04, and Peppermint One
(used Xubuntu 9.04 previously)

ronnielsen1
June 8th, 2010, 10:29 AM
I live in MO but I lived in Fremont for 6 years so I had to reply

runforfun
June 9th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Elk Grove, California here. Just started using Kubuntu.