PDA

View Full Version : Official reaction to this board?

mctavish
October 13th, 2004, 07:45 AM
I was just wondering if there has been any official reaction to this board from ubuntu/canonical.

From their website it seems that they are planning an official board, so is there a chance that this will become that official board at some point? Or will this one fizz out when the official board comes online?

Just curious.

ubuntu-geek
October 13th, 2004, 03:08 PM
Nothing official that I am aware of. I emailed the Ubuntu Dev's about four weeks ago about this project so hopefully we can work together. :) But I havent heard back.

tsykoduk
October 13th, 2004, 03:12 PM
Honestly, I would not think that this should be a problem. Some folks (like me) do not have the time to eat through 600 messages a day :)

ubuntu-geek
October 13th, 2004, 03:13 PM
Exactly why I created this forum with the interactive mailing list.. Cheers!

daniels
October 14th, 2004, 06:11 PM
We haven't made a decision on official forums yet, but several of the dev team hang out here, and we'll keep on doing user support here.

ubuntu-geek
October 14th, 2004, 08:19 PM
I've been in touch with the team over at canonical/ubuntu they will be linking to the site for now and it will still be "unnoficial" for the time being. Hopefully the relationship will turn into a great one and benefit the Ubuntu community even further.

ubunut rocks!! =D>

Henrik
October 15th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Exactly why I created this forum with the interactive mailing list.. Cheers!

Yeah, that's quite cool. So how did you do that then? :D I might want to do that for this (http://theopencd.sunsite.dk/forum/index.php) forum too.

arctic
October 15th, 2004, 04:39 PM
first of all: it would be nice if this forum can work together with the developers and become semi-official or official. second: the idea with the mailing list included is okay, but how about a link "show recent topics/messages" without the mailing list. reading all the mailing list stuff when checking new postings/problems of users takes away a lot of time. so a "double-option" would be nice imho. :D

triad169
October 15th, 2004, 04:55 PM
ubuntu-geek,

Geat idea with the forum. Definitely easier to navigate then the Mailing Lists. I stll use both but forum is slowly becoming preffered choice for asking qustions or answering them. I am glad some of the Devs are popping over here to too answer questions.

Triad

Infatuated_iPod
October 15th, 2004, 05:26 PM
I hope that this forum does not fizzle out if there happens to be an official forum someday. I have only been here for a few days but i love it. The more the merier but it gets too complicated when there are 10,000 people posting.

normnmiles
October 15th, 2004, 06:51 PM
The more the merier but it gets too complicated when there are 10,000 people posting.

I agree. It's almost a full-time job to get caught up on a large board after missing a couple of days. Those boards are a wealth of information but to follow on a daily basis is too time consuming for me.

ubuntu-geek
October 15th, 2004, 10:40 PM
first of all: it would be nice if this forum can work together with the developers and become semi-official or official. second: the idea with the mailing list included is okay, but how about a link "show recent topics/messages" without the mailing list. reading all the mailing list stuff when checking new postings/problems of users takes away a lot of time. so a "double-option" would be nice imho. :D

Hey arctic,

We have been in touch with canonical and they are already linking to this site from their main page, even tho we are still unofficial a few ubuntu developers are already active on the forums. :) As time progresses I am sure the relationship between this site and canonical will as well.

I'll see what I can do with the mailing list, I am working out a few bugs in that ATM ..

arctic
October 16th, 2004, 12:07 AM
nice to hear such positive things, guru. :)

The more the merier but it gets too complicated when there are 10,000 people posting.
actually i doubt that there will be 10 000 people posting in here. my experience from other forums is that the number of permanent posters is around 30 to 80 persons. most users only take a look, get their info and leave afterwards. nothing wrong with that. so you can be assured that you can get the most important news in one or two hours spent in the forum i guess. ;)

HungSquirrel
October 16th, 2004, 12:12 AM
We have been in touch with canonical and they are already linking to this site from their main page
Yep, that's how I found the forum. Wish I knew about it during my first install! 8)

Nomad
October 21st, 2004, 04:01 AM
Forum good, email glut bad.

Official or Unofficial, I am with ya. Already I am smarter, thnx.

elwis
October 21st, 2004, 09:04 AM
Well, I've hung around a lot of forums during the last 7 years, but this is certainly one of the best.

All this nice "step-by-step howto's" are really great, and not that easy to find in other forums.

im_ka
October 22nd, 2004, 04:22 PM
i think/hope this forum will become "official". wouldn't really change anything, it's linked on the ubuntu website and developers are around as well and are answering questions.
it would be more a symbolic step to make it official, and a great recognition of the forum admin's work.

nuopus
October 24th, 2004, 01:02 AM
Yeah, that's quite cool. So how did you do that then? :D I might want to do that for this (http://theopencd.sunsite.dk/forum/index.php) forum too.
Well the reason they switched to vBulletin from phpBB is because he wanted to do the mailing list support ... which leads me to believe that the first thing you would need to do is also get rid of phpBB that you are currently using an pay up for vBulletin.

nuopus
October 24th, 2004, 01:06 AM
Well I am actually happy with vBulletin. There are lots of features here than in phpBB like the quick reply feature that I am taking a liking to. I also love the dropdowns on the top which let you quickly access lots of features and the menu that lets you see all of the posts you made in a subscription format. Very cool.

Keep up the good work admin! http://www.ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

wulf
December 14th, 2004, 02:02 PM
One thing I don't like about vBulletin is how the QuickReply box automatically selects the 'Quote message in reply' option. I like the functionality of quick reply but I rarely want to quote the entire content of the message I am replying to (if I did, I'd use the Quote button).

I'm gradually learning to untick the box but would love the option to set that as a default via my profile.

Wulf