PDA

View Full Version : Look at this ridiculous terms of walmart music

billdotson
February 26th, 2007, 03:01 PM
By purchasing a music download, you can:

* Download the music to 1 computer and back up music to 2 additional computers (see instructions below)
* Make 10 burns to a CD
* Make unlimited transfers to a portable device

I wish I would have looked at walmart before purchasing 40 some songs from there. Now I can't do really anything legally with my chili peppers songs.

Oh and windows media player 11 canceled the backup music licenses feature...

I will burn as many CDs as I want.. they shouldn't have the right to tell me what to do

OffHand
February 26th, 2007, 03:37 PM

* Download the music to 1 computer and back up music to 2 additional computers (see instructions below)
* Make 10 burns to a CD

I wish I would have looked at walmart before purchasing 40 some songs from there. Now I can't do really anything legally with my chili peppers songs.

I will burn as many CDs as I want.. they shouldn't have the right to tell me what to do

I do not like restrictions but those do not look really bad imo.

an.echte.trilingue
February 26th, 2007, 04:26 PM

* Make 10 burns to a CD

Bullet 4: Strip DRM with tunebite, or simply record CDs and then re-rip them.

Take care,
-mat

Spr0k3t
February 26th, 2007, 05:03 PM

* Make 10 burns to a CD

And the worst part about all that? WMA only. Rip it to another medium or find DRM free equivs elsewhere. Or you could do what I like to do... shop frequently at those music go round places. Cheaper by the song that way if you spend the time to rip. Best bet is to have two different places in your aresonal so they don't "catch on".

tigerpants
February 26th, 2007, 05:10 PM
People still buy music?? Haven't you heard of Bittorrent?

PapaWiskas
February 26th, 2007, 05:19 PM
People still buy music?? Haven't you heard of Bittorrent?

If you haven't heard of Bittorent, then also make yourself familiar with the RIAA.

You can call and ask my neighbor all about them...he has court next week.

tigerpants
February 26th, 2007, 05:23 PM
If you haven't heard of Bittorent, then also make yourself familiar with the RIAA.

You can call and ask my neighbor all about them...he has court next week.

I know, lets all take everything really seriously. :)

Personally, I only buy vinyl, so DRM is not an issue for me with music. I would never buy online from a download, and I wont be buying cd's again. I do beleive that sharing music is important, and increases sales. So Bittorrent is a valuable asset to the recording industry. Without filesharing tools available to me, I wouldn't have bought 90% of the music I did last year, which comes to around £2000. Filesharing=good.

I've yet to see a single piece of evidence from the music industry that categorically and emphatically states the filesharing is damaging music sales.

PapaWiskas
February 26th, 2007, 05:48 PM
I personally have nothing against filesharing.

I have used bittorrent before, but after my neighbor came over crying about how he was being sued and didn't know what to do...I was just floored.

You see it on the news, but this was the first time it was someone I knew it has happened to.

H.E. Pennypacker
February 26th, 2007, 05:55 PM
I personally have nothing against filesharing.

I have used bittorrent before, but after my neighbor came over crying about how he was being sued and didn't know what to do...I was just floored.

You see it on the news, but this was the first time it was someone I knew it has happened to.

Whoa, that kind of a lawsuit is absolutely devastating. Really. It's devastating, because you're up against a huge corporation, and the no one has the money to go up against them. Those who do have the money would have bought their music legally.

Can you tell us more about your neighbor's story?

Sammi
February 26th, 2007, 06:29 PM
The RIAA is shooting itself in the foot, because it is alienating the consumers with their unfair and overly aggressive lawsuits. They should figure out how to use the carrot instead of the stick.

PapaWiskas
February 26th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Can you tell us more about your neighbor's story?

All I really know, which is not much, I don't know him real well, but he knows I am a techie for the company I work for.

Basically it runs down like this. He was using Azeureus (spelling?) to download his music. And he always left it on because his list of stuff he would want to get was usually pretty large. He said he has over 300 Gig of MP3 files, and he is being charged with 1500 counts.

We both have the same ISP provider and obviously they turned over the necessary information to catch him. I don't know what to think about that...I guess it goes to show you there is truly no annonymity on the net.

I told him I really didn't want to know anymore about it, because there was nothing I could do to help him with his issue. I mean, what do you say to something like that? Heck I don't know. I feel bad for him because they are not well off as it is, he is working temp jobs, because his company had layoffs, his wife lost her job due to being sick to many times. They have 4 kids....etc...etc...etc...it is just depressing. All I could really offer is if they needed anything to let me know, other than money, because that I can't spare.

bobbybobington
February 26th, 2007, 11:37 PM
The RIAA usually offers a $5,000 settlement if they agree not to pirate again. Most people take this option. But if he downloaded 300 gigs idk if they'll let him off that easy.