PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Christian Edition Facts

izanbardprince
February 26th, 2007, 12:12 AM
Found most of these on the web, lets see if we can add some.

Ubuntu Christian Edition 7.04 will be called "Chaste Fawn"

In Ubuntu Christian Edition the sin() function has been removed from libm.

In Ubuntu Christian Edition, documents are saved only by grace through faith.

In Ubuntu Christian Edition you can burn heretic cds only.

With Ubuntu Christian Edition, you don't need to surf the web. You can walk on it.

For 40 days before Easter, Ubuntu Christian Edition works in text mode only.

In Ubuntu Christian Edition, Novell's e-mail client has been renamed "Creation".

Ubuntu Christian Edition only uses Enlightenment.

Ubuntu Christian Edition was made in only six days, and on the seventh day the Creator rested.

Finally, mine:

In Ubuntu Christian Edition, the Angels defeated the Daemons.

gradedcheese
February 26th, 2007, 12:28 AM
Only married processes can spawn() (http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/basedefs/spawn.h.html) child processes... ;)

Teg_Navanis
February 26th, 2007, 12:29 AM
Made me laugh, although I'm sure some people will feel offended ;)

Wight_Rhino
February 26th, 2007, 12:37 AM
Oh, surely not! Those of the Christian faith have a sense of humor too right?

We can all laugh at ourselves can't we?

gradedcheese
February 26th, 2007, 12:42 AM
Made me laugh, although I'm sure some people will feel offended ;)

To be honest, the fact that they made a "Christian Edition" of a Linux distribution offends me more than any of these jokes should offend them.

matthew
February 26th, 2007, 12:43 AM
The founder of Ubuntu CE found this list last August and posted it in the Ubuntu CE forum (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=247906) so I don't think there's a problem with it...it's a bit old, but still amusing. I'll leave it open here in the cafe, but if another staff member thinks it needs to be moved to the Ubuntu CE forum I'm okay with that as well.

matthew
February 26th, 2007, 12:47 AM
To be honest, the fact that they made a "Christian Edition" of a Linux distribution offends me more than any of these jokes should offend them.This discussion has been rehashed over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...

Open source is about freedom. The GPL is about freedom. FOSS is about freedom.

The founder of the CE distro sought and received permission to do what he is doing (including using the Ubuntu name) even though software released under the GPL wouldn't require it.

Please keep this thread on topic from here on. Thanks!

H.E. Pennypacker
February 26th, 2007, 12:49 AM
Pretty funny! :)

To be honest, the fact that they made a "Christian Edition" of a Linux distribution offends me more than any of these jokes should offend them.

You must be kidding? How so?

I don't support the Ubuntu Christian project for the same reason I oppose all distro splits (this is true for me in almost all aspects of life), but I won't try to stop it or something, because that would be against the open source philosophy. I support them in the respect that they've done an excellent job at creating something lots of people enjoy using.

gradedcheese
February 26th, 2007, 12:57 AM
hmm... Ubuntu is in some ways a Debian split. I never said I'm trying to "stop them", just that I am offended that they created such a thing. I think I have the right to be offended by this. The Debian and Ubuntu folks (and everybody whose software is included) did the work of "excellent job at creating something lots of people enjoy using", these guys just felt that an operating system needs their religion's branding (oh, and search for "ubuntu" on eBay -- interesting stuff). Do they have Christian Toothpaste? Tires? Toaster ovens? I sure hope so.

Sammi
February 26th, 2007, 01:04 AM
Please stop discussing if Ubuntu Christian Edition should have been created or not! I would guess that there are about a hundred different treads already created to discuss that topic, so please carry on with that discussion in one of them in stead of this one.

This tread is for the "Ubuntu Christian Edition Facts" joke only!

PriceChild
February 26th, 2007, 01:11 AM
Please stop discussing if Ubuntu Christian Edition should have been created or not! I would guess that there are about a hundred different treads already created to discuss that topic, so please carry on with that discussion in one of them in stead of this one.

This tread is for the "Ubuntu Christian Edition Facts" joke only!+1 On topic please guys :)

r4ik
February 26th, 2007, 01:13 AM
hmm... Ubuntu is in some ways a Debian split. I never said I'm trying to "stop them", just that I am offended that they created such a thing. I think I have the right to be offended by this. The Debian and Ubuntu folks (and everybody whose software is included) did the work of "excellent job at creating something lots of people enjoy using", these guys just felt that an operating system needs their religion's branding (oh, and search for "ubuntu" on eBay -- interesting stuff). Do they have Christian Toothpaste? Tires? Toaster ovens? I sure hope so.

I posted this somewhere else this evening but some things "have" to be.

Respect or love for another gender/race or faith has nothing to do with understanding it.

izanbardprince
February 26th, 2007, 01:15 AM
Two input or two output processes being bound together are already illegal, but Ubuntu Christian Edition modified the kernel to further disallow it. :)

muguwmp67
February 26th, 2007, 01:20 AM
The tagline for Ubuntu CE is "What would Jesus want to do today"

Polygon
February 26th, 2007, 01:44 AM
ahahah those are funny. Good stuff :D

AndyCooll
February 26th, 2007, 02:37 AM
Ubuntu Christian Edition has renamed the KDE music player "Iamtherok".

:cool:

SunnyRabbiera
February 26th, 2007, 03:06 AM
Instead of coding C++ you use C Cross Crosss
Instead of opening a terminal you open up your prayor book
The help files are devided into hyms
.exe now stands for exorcisim
instead of having a home directory, you have a church directory
ARK is holy
Thanks to shipit you can now get a live CD and the piece of the holy grail
There is a new game that is exclusive to UCE: parting the seas

izanbardprince
February 26th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Instead of opening a terminal you open up your prayor book

So whats the difference there? :P

AndyW
February 26th, 2007, 07:41 AM
The first amendment guarantees freedom of religion, not freedom from religion...

SunnyRabbiera
February 26th, 2007, 08:35 AM
So whats the difference there? :P
The difference would be that the terminal would be renamed to prayor book :D

3rdalbum
February 26th, 2007, 10:10 AM
The command to switch to Runlevel S is "amen".

Ubuntu Christian Edition comes in three editions - Gnome, KDE and XFCE. They've released a DVD containing all the desktop environments, called "The Holy Trinity".

Only one service is run on Sundays - and that's a church service.

(I contributed the one about Novell's e-mail program being renamed to Creation)

koenn
February 26th, 2007, 11:46 PM
hardware recognition works with Plug 'n' Pray

izanbardprince
February 27th, 2007, 12:09 AM
The Ubuntu Christian Edition team is running a computing cluster to determine the largest possible number, because nothing is infinite except God.

In Ubuntu Christian Edition, the movie player switches between The Omega Code and Benny Hinn's book's on tape, now in Ogg.

spockrock
February 27th, 2007, 12:20 AM
hahahhahaha, these are amazing.....lol

Motoxrdude
February 27th, 2007, 12:28 AM
Ubuntu Christian Edition has renamed the KDE music player "Iamtherok".

:cool:

Ubuntu Christian Edition comes in three editions - Gnome, KDE and XFCE. They've released a DVD containing all the desktop environments, called "The Holy Trinity".

Those actually made me "lol" :D

izanbardprince
February 27th, 2007, 03:46 AM
In Ubuntu Christian Edition, you don't kill a stuck process, because the Ten Commandments say killing is wrong, but if a document refuses to convert, you burn it at the stake.

SunnyRabbiera
February 28th, 2007, 11:09 PM
The sound of a computer dieing in UCE is "amazing grace"
Totem is renamed "holy cross"
instead of a bug reporting tool, you have a confession reporting tool.

Kernel Sanders
February 28th, 2007, 11:45 PM
I dont know how acceptable this is (sincere apologies if it isnt), but this is the funniest exchange i've seen discussing Ubuntu Christian Edition :mrgreen:

I'm a Christian father of two and a network manager in a k-12 public school. I also volunteer to help anyone in need of technology assistance. This is such a welcome project. I can't tell you how many people need a way to provide a safe surfing environment for children/students. I have dabbled the last few years with Linux and love it, but admit to becoming frustrated at times with the difficulty of getting everything working just right. Your distro provides an easy way for me to set up a safe Internet browsing workstation or even an entire site by easily pointing workstations to my Ubuntu CE sever.

Our district has so many problems with their content filtering solution that I thought making something like this a reality for a small Christian school or individual parents would be unrealistic. So thank you so much for everyone's work on this project and may God continue to bless this work.

My next project is to try and build a small dedicated (low power consumption) proxy server appliance that is affordable. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

you don't need content filtering because your God prevents children from accessing inappropriate sites.

Consider yourself warned. Any further flamebait will draw a one-point infraction, plus a thread lock.