PDA

View Full Version : What computer stuff should I learn/start to learn??

billdotson
February 25th, 2007, 11:29 PM
When I started playing around with Ubuntu I have been learning lots of stuff about computers that I never knew before. This has really started to interest me and I want to learn more things. I haven't decided a major yet but I know I want to be doing something with computers most of the time.

I have been wanting to learn networking and networking protocols, programming (thinking about doing Python), BASH shell, DOS shell, webpage design and creation, multimedia stuff like creating videos and learning about the advantages+disadvantages of the codecs and file types, etc., how computer hardware operates and communicates with software+the OS, getting good with Windows, Linux OS's, Mac OS's, and a big goal/thing I would like to do is to be able to build my own (simple) GUI OS if it won't take me ten years to do it. I also have a Linux from Scratch and a Gentoo LiveCD and I was thinking of using one of them to build a Linux OS from the ground up.

I know those categories are HUGE in themselves but I just want to try and learn alot about everything as I have a lot of spare time between classes and two years before I actually have to pick a major. What should I start to learn first? I really have none that interests me anymore than the other but I would like to start at the easiest stuff and move up so I don't start off reading about a bunch of terminology I don't understand. I am not computer ignorant and I would say that I am decent with PCs as I have been using them for 10-12 years now but I would like to start learning more.

Any suggestions as where to start and what texts/tutorials to look at/read? As I said I want to start of slow and not jump into something like programming if I don't understand half of the terminology

muguwmp67
February 26th, 2007, 12:22 AM
I have Ubuntu Unleashed next to my bedstand along with O'Reilly's Running Linux

But the best way to start learning linux is to pick something you want to do, then figure it out. Generally this involves a bunch of learning along the way.

If you are following a tutorial, pay attention to the commands and configuration files you are editing. Do you understand what they are doing? If not, do some research into them. Just 'sudo apt-get install' can lead you to a goldmine of new information. What is apt? Whats a deb package? How is it different from an rpm? Can you convert them? and so on and so on.

me1on
February 26th, 2007, 12:46 AM
I'd recommend starting out with BASH. For a good starting point, check out this tutorial (http://linuxcommand.org/learning_the_shell.php). After that, you could move on to either Python, webdesign, or whatever else you feel like learning. This (http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/thinkCSpy/) is a pretty good (and free) beginner's Python book, and this site (http://www.w3schools.com/) is an excellent resource for beginning webdesign. Also, Wikipedia is always a great place to start for general information, and Google is your friend for finding solutions to problems you can't figure out on your own. Hope you have fun! :)

H.E. Pennypacker
February 26th, 2007, 12:56 AM
You should learn Python. The open source world needs more Python programmers (lots of applications you can contribute to by learning Python).