PDA

View Full Version : Me VS Ubuntu

cinematography
May 25th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Ubuntu kicked my **** thoroughly. :( But I decided to go ahead, take some meds, and climb the learning curve. I'm really happy that I did now. Everything is running so lovely. http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/eusa_dance.gif

How many of you have had a similar experience? You open your new program or OS, it gives you hell, but once you learn the program it becomes one of your favorite tools.

jasmuz
May 25th, 2005, 10:00 PM
Ubuntu kicked my **** thoroughly. :( But I decided to go ahead, take some meds, and climb the learning curve. I'm really happy that I did now. Everything is running so lovely. http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/eusa_dance.gif

How many of you have had a similar experience? You open your new program or OS, it gives you hell, but once you learn the program it becomes one of your favorite tools.
That my dear Ubuntu brother is called ¨Learning¨, its when you dont know jack about one thing....and you end up studying it, after a while you tend to say: Its fenomenal!..

cinematography
May 25th, 2005, 10:02 PM
That my dear Ubuntu brother is called ¨Learning¨, its when you dont know jack about one thing....and you end up studying it, after a while you tend to say: Its fenomenal!..
Some programs give me more hell than others. The best ones usually give me the most hell for some reason. ](*,)

sapo
May 25th, 2005, 11:04 PM
ATI gave me hell to install the f***ing fglrx driver!

But now i ve learned and even installed the new version from the ATI website... but it didnt changed... its performance still SUCKS! http://planetside-universe.com/forums/images/smilies/rant.gif

I regret buying an ATI card... nvidia is far better! ](*,)

dataw0lf
May 25th, 2005, 11:19 PM
ATI gave me hell to install the f***ing fglrx driver!

But now i ve learned and even installed the new version from the ATI website... but it didnt changed... its performance still SUCKS! http://planetside-universe.com/forums/images/smilies/rant.gif

I regret buying an ATI card... nvidia is far better! ](*,)

Although I certainly agree with your sentiment about ATI, sapo, let's watch the language, if you could.

On topic:
The greatest thing about Linux, or nearly anything else IT related for that matter, is that the learning curve gets progressively less steep as you climb. Knowledge builds upon knowledge, and all that jazz.

SparkyDawg
May 25th, 2005, 11:38 PM
Fluxbox is currently giving me quite a bit of hell...

But yes, I almost gave up on Ubuntu for awhile just because I got so frusterated with it. Now, everything is so easy for me.

cinematography
May 26th, 2005, 03:22 AM
Oh this is so neat... So much really good open source software... I'm really enjoying Ubuntu right now. It's a mother mother to setup, but once all that is done - WOWSERS! :D

WildTangent
May 26th, 2005, 03:32 AM
THE AVATAR THIEF IS EVERYWHERE!

back on topic, good job, im glad you like it now :) took some learning for me as well, not that i didnt enjoy it the whole time though

-Wild

poofyhairguy
May 26th, 2005, 07:28 AM
All I have to say is when I was first learning about Linux, thank God for google.

I would pay $200 to use their searches if they actually charged for them.

tread
May 26th, 2005, 09:19 AM
Funny .. possibly to make up for the fact that I started using Linux on a SiS card and Redhat 5, Ubuntu has been really kind to me. Touch wood or any other object that doesn't jinx this experience :).

orion_114
May 26th, 2005, 09:50 AM
I think the learning aspect of linux is the best part !!!! I have installed Ubuntu on my 2 machines at home and learnt alot. Now I am in the process of installing Ubuntu on a machine at work so that I can set it up as a mail server. I am gonna be pulling my hair out for a couple of days, but at the end of it all I am sure I will be a better person for getting a linux solution working than forking out tons of cash for ms exchange! Plus i think my boss will freak out when I tell him how much money I have saved the company! ;-)

nocturn
May 26th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Funny .. possibly to make up for the fact that I started using Linux on a SiS card and Redhat 5, Ubuntu has been really kind to me. Touch wood or any other object that doesn't jinx this experience :).

Chalk another one up, RH5 was my first distro ever, with the awfull Fvwm and no sound for me. Still, I could get some work done without any crashes (win98 never made it passed 2 hours for my typical usage).

I soon moved to SuSE with KDE1, which was graphically every bit as attractive as Win95 was, while being both free and stable.