PDA

View Full Version : Can the social web boost open-source?

Adamant1988
February 25th, 2007, 08:47 PM
I'm sure we all know about the social web ( Web 2.0 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web2.0) ), but I'm observing parallels between the social web, and Linux/open-source in particular.

My question to the community is, could social networking/collaboration tools created by the whole "Social web" idea be of any major benefit to the open source movement, and Linux in particular? For example, a social networking site based around Linux users, or maybe to the point Ubuntu users, could allow us to find and connect with people who we didn't even know had the ability or skill to assist Linux or Ubuntu to help more effectively, and so on.

I'm leaving the question intentionally vague because I am interested in seeing what you think about this. I want you (the community) to provide creative input, you're as much a part of Linux as the developers are, and you deserve to be given the opportunity to help past making demands on a forum. So I want to ask you for ideas that we can bring forth to allow us (the community) to get more involved in Linux.

(Yes, I do know that Wikis are now a common find in any good Linux distro site, so we'll omit those)

This is strictly a brainstorming session, so don't shoot down anyone's ideas, if there's enough input we can start pruning the good from the bad

gtr225
February 27th, 2007, 11:54 PM
I think any new way of spreading information about Linux and open source will always help. I think as far as social websites related to open source might only cater to a small portion of people. But I guess I'm just thinking myspace meets sourceforge lol. An interesting idea is maybe tools linux users can use on myspace, etc. Like banners and layouts and crap just to get the word out. Or I know Ubuntu gives the option for you to vote for all the programs you use, how about some kinda of automated thing you can post on a profile that lets others know what programs you use most.

Adamant1988
February 28th, 2007, 04:19 AM
I think any new way of spreading information about Linux and open source will always help. I think as far as social websites related to open source might only cater to a small portion of people. But I guess I'm just thinking myspace meets sourceforge lol. An interesting idea is maybe tools linux users can use on myspace, etc. Like banners and layouts and crap just to get the word out. Or I know Ubuntu gives the option for you to vote for all the programs you use, how about some kinda of automated thing you can post on a profile that lets others know what programs you use most.

That's great.

Personally I would like to see a social site geared towards the users of open source.

It would be nice to have one place where you could post ideas, bounties, etc. and see a qualified developer pick that up.

Every profile could have options specific to what you do in the open source community. If you were a programmer for instance perhaps your profile site would show projects you've worked on, as well as recommendations, etc. Something like that ^_^

gtr225
February 28th, 2007, 05:09 AM
yea that sounds good. Maybe myspace meets sourceforge would work, it would certainly have better looking profiles lol. Maybe some of these ideas can be integrated into ubuntu forums, just add more features to the member pages and add a little more focus on them.

izanbardprince
February 28th, 2007, 05:13 AM
I personally think that "Web 2.0" is just a buzzword.

Although I like the idea of social news, wiki's, and stuff like that, I don't really see them as part of a larger whole.

Adamant1988
February 28th, 2007, 05:17 AM
I personally think that "Web 2.0" is just a buzzword.

Although I like the idea of social news, wiki's, and stuff like that, I don't really see them as part of a larger whole.

Buzzword or not, the social web is real and is a powerful force. I think open source could definitely benefit from harnessing that power.

Adamant1988
February 28th, 2007, 05:19 AM
yea that sounds good. Maybe myspace meets sourceforge would work, it would certainly have better looking profiles lol. Maybe some of these ideas can be integrated into ubuntu forums, just add more features to the member pages and add a little more focus on them.

That's the spirit! Perhaps the site could create the profiles in such a way that the information is easily exportable and usable in other sites like Ubuntuforums.org, etc.

gtr225
February 28th, 2007, 05:20 AM
yea when I first heard of it I thought it was some new W3C standard lol. Then I read the wikipedia page and realized it was just another corporate buzzword. I think a more apropriate but just as corporate buzzworthy term would be the "personal internet". Make a profile on myspace, edit a wiki page, check my rss feeds, it all just seems Web 2.0 is simply the internet but more about me and letting me do more stuff.

gtr225
February 28th, 2007, 05:21 AM
That's the spirit! Perhaps the site could create the profiles in such a way that the information is easily exportable and usable in other sites like Ubuntuforums.org, etc.With RSS, everything can be exportable!

Adamant1988
February 28th, 2007, 05:27 AM
With RSS, everything can be exportable!

I was thinking perhaps a system like Facebook uses allowing you to create "badges" you can use on other sites that display limited info and link to your profile.

23meg
February 28th, 2007, 05:47 AM
last.fm does it too, with the ability to post your charts to other websites. The ability to grab, shape (to a certain extent) and put to use data that you've submitted to a website in another one is quite a trend in itself.

Adamant1988
February 28th, 2007, 12:02 PM
last.fm does it too, with the ability to post your charts to other websites. The ability to grab, shape (to a certain extent) and put to use data that you've submitted to a website in another one is quite a trend in itself.
Great, so we do know it can be done :)

gtr225
February 28th, 2007, 12:06 PM

Yeah that feature of Last.fm is exactly what I was thinking along the lines of.